• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Convert physical copies into digital

Plantoid

So I just got a physical copy of cyberpunk for $13, that was my first ever physical game since I came from PC, then I realized I have to insert the disc Everytime I want to play, that seems so archaic...

Searched everywhere if I could convert my physical copy into digital but that doesn't seem possible..

That seems like a basic thing I should be able to do... Please Microsoft, that can't be too hard to implement could it?

Bridges

So I just got a physical copy of cyberpunk for $13, that was my first ever physical game since I came from PC, then I realized I have to insert the disc Everytime I want to play, that seems so archaic...

Searched everywhere if I could convert my physical copy into digital but that doesn't seem possible..

That seems like a basic thing I should be able to do... Please Microsoft, that can't be too hard to implement could it?
I remember there being a rumor years back about them providing some sort of service like this at Microsoft stores, but the plan seems to have either been scrapped or fake. I'd like this too, I have a handful of physical XB1 games at launch that I'd much prefer to have digital at this point.

Banned

oh no! guys! we have been infiltrated by Don Mattrick!

dottme

I remember there being a rumor years back about them providing some sort of service like this at Microsoft stores, but the plan seems to have either been scrapped or fake. I'd like this too, I have a handful of physical XB1 games at launch that I'd much prefer to have digital at this point.
The problem is the Microsoft version will have killed resell.
ideally, a physical copy that you can lock to your console and unlock later on would be great. This way you can enjoy your copy digitally and no one else can use it.
But in Microsoft mind is that you will have to pay a fee in order to unlock your copy. And the lock was mandatory.

FUBARx89

That was pretty much the plan with Xbox One games, but everyone rightly kicked off as it made physical games pretty worthless and unable to be traded or sold.

splattered

I would love something like this that goes both ways... pay a fee to get a digital copy of your physical game. And even pay a fee to get a physical copy of your digital game(s) ... could even be a crappy BD-RW with sharpie on it in a clear case with a link to print out the cover for all i care haha

chonga

This was one of the benefits of Xbox One DRM that got rejected by the masses, so enjoy that back and forth trip to your console.

Plantoid

I mean, the "lock to your console" could be temporary, and demand a internet connection for all I care, but just give me the option, If I wanna sell it, then give me the option to "unlock" it, only ask for a Blu-Ray when you're playing it unlocked

Fbh

Biggest reason you'll never see something like this is that console makers want you to buy digital games directly from them to get a bigger cut

How do you expect them to do this if you could just sell the disc to someone else?

Is it convenient not to have to pop the game in every time? Yes, but that is the price you pay to own physically. I’d much rather get up and walk five feet and be able to sell, trade, or display my game instead of having the convenience to just change it in a menu.

Fredrik

That was pretty much the plan with Xbox One games, but everyone rightly kicked off as it made physical games pretty worthless and unable to be traded or sold.

Why does games differ from music though?
Last time I checked you could rip your music CDs in iTunes to ALAC to use on your computer or hifi streamer legally.
Why can’t I rip my games the same way onto consoles?
I don’t get what’s different. Why can’t gamers be trusted to handle this like a normal person? All gamers aren’t pirates, some just want to rip the games for the conveniece of having a big digital games library on a HDD.

Be happy about physical. You are buying a license when digital.
lol what a stupid thing to say.

when servers go down for digital games people who bought physical will also lose access to patches. you try tell someone to be happy that all they can play is the version of Cyberpunk that is on the disc :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

people who have digital copies will still be able to play them even once servers go down. but if you need to replace your HDD then both digital/physical owners are fucked.

when servers go down for digital games people who bought physical will also lose access to patches. you try tell someone to be happy that all they can play is the version of Cyberpunk that is on the disc :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

people who have digital copies will still be able to play them even once servers go down. but if you need to replace your HDD then both digital/physical owners are fucked.

Thankfully I have plenty of games to play without patches.

It doesnt make much sense. You bought your disc for 13 dollars. And you want a 60$ digital copy.

Thats like buying a game in the epic store and wanting a steam copy.

Im not even sure who you paid 13 dollars to. Gamestop? Some dude on Craigslist? Now youre owned a copy from Microsoft?

Im laughing my insides out.

Thankfully I have plenty of games to play without patches.
good for you but doesn't change the fact most games have patches these days and they are pretty much essential. sure there are some games where you could get by with no patches but Cyberpunk is a prime example that if you don't have patches you're fucked. it's not 2001 anymore.

good for you but doesn't change the fact most games have patches these days and they are pretty much essential. sure there are some games where you could get by with no patches but Cyberpunk is a prime example that if you don't have patches you're fucked. it's not 2001 anymore.

This is why I don’t buy games that are seriously broken out of the box.

This sounds needlessly complicated just to be lazy.
Bro they dont know how utterly stupid this is.

What they could do is make digital video games run a blockchain. So you can sell them to other users. Licensed games would become highly collectible, because they would delisted. Ultimately consoles would have to be 90% of the time online.

Plantoid

It doesnt make much sense. You bought your disc for 13 dollars. And you want a 60$ digital copy.

Thats like buying a game in the epic store and wanting a steam copy.

Im not even sure who you paid 13 dollars to. Gamestop? Some dude on Craigslist? Now youre owned a copy from Microsoft?

Im laughing my insides out.
I bought from a retailer, Ms got their share I'm sure

Unk Adams

Banned
Call me crazy (or just old school) but part of the fun for me is taking a game out of its case and inserting the disc.

Also, the people who strictly want a digital only future don't understand the downsides to it. There are digital-only games that I would love to play but they were delisted and now are literally impossible to buy. Plus, you don't own that content. Not to mention, sometimes I prefer playing non-patched versions of games because they occasionally change things for the worse and that can only be done with a physical copy.

Last edited:

urmie

"

Your "first every physical game", so.............just leave the disc inside? Outside that, and assuming you buy more physical games, check the Xbox store for sales and when the base game goes on sale, you need to figure out if the sale price is worth it. I've done it before with Resident Evil Games or if it's first party and you're a GamePass member, you got a digital edition waiting there and can purchase "to own" down the line, if you wish.

Lucke

Neo Member
The internet mob pretty much killed this possibility on the Xbox One launch on that E3. It was Microsoft’s vision, but I don’t see it happening on console anytime soon again.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Technically a physical copy is a license too
Atleast with Physical you (somewhat) own the media carrier. With digital, you pay a store a digital slot that has the name of the game attached to it.
Yes. Whatever happened to passing remarks you say? Can't have that. Let me tell you how stupid it was what you just wrote. That ''ll show em!

Can have benefits. See: original unpatched AC Unity can run at 60 fps on next gen hardware.

If Valve goes bankrupt, where does that leave your Steam games that go through Valve to execute?

Like i get all the pros of digital. It shouldn't be the only option.

Yes, i know. That too is a very stupid thing to say.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
They could have made the system customer friendly, but instead abandoned it. If they had a serial number on the disk, they could let you choose in your account if the license stayed digital or if it went back to the disk. Instead they wanted to play middle man.

But by playing middle man, they would have let people buy and sell used digital games. It never got to the point where they revealed how that would work. If it was open market with MS taking X% and giving a cut of that to devs. If X was low enough it might have led to a nice used market. Ebay used to take 13% with paypal so having that on the digital games would have been cool. But people freaked out and we either have physical games that are in smaller supply or digital games that are sold by a "monopoly" for each console. I would have really liked to be able to buy digital games day 1 and then sell them for market price minus 15%

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
People still don’t understand what MS’s plan was about.

It would have let you treat a physical copy like a digital game.

And it was the opposite of an attempt to kill retail; it was going to force all used game sales through authorized retailers.

The idea was to keep physical games relevant while also getting rid of EBay and other types of sales and making it 100% only a thing their retail partners could deal with.

It would have probably sucked though lol

Zeroing

Banned
MS done it, also EA, and that was a shit show… no thanks.
we don’t need to complicate a simple thing (leave the disk on the disk player) for DRM and companies trying to control the physical gaming market!

The PSP managed to do this if you hacked it so it wouldn't be impossible to do. (regarding being able to convert your physical game onto a digital one).

It would be a good idea if they knew how to ensure you didn't give it out to your mates to do the same.

SCB3

Wait, can't you redeem the CD Key on GoG and add it to your library?

Edit, nevermind, misread the OP

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Why does games differ from music though?
Last time I checked you could rip your music CDs in iTunes to ALAC to use on your computer or hifi streamer legally.
Why can’t I rip my games the same way onto consoles?
I don’t get what’s different. Why can’t gamers be trusted to handle this like a normal person? All gamers aren’t pirates, some just want to rip the games for the conveniece of having a big digital games library on a HDD.
Music went through a piracy stage. RIAA didn't like that either.

The ESA (video games RIAA/MPAA) is so comfortable that their primary focus is fighting right to repair.

Kids today don't even know how torrents work and just stream everything. Low chance of the ESA ever being put in that position.

Last edited:
Top Bottom