• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!! releases August 24 on Steam ($13). Full gameplay trailer.

It's showing as Out Now on Humble Bundle but since they give a Steam key I'm guessing it won't work until it's live on Steam?

Humble Bundle - https://www.humblebundle.com/store/cook-serve-delicious-2
Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/386620/Cook_Serve_Delicious_2/

I did notice that despite there being a Summer Sale going at Humble that it was around the 6th best seller 15 minutes ago and when I went again to grab the link for this post it's already up to 3rd top seller.

The feature set seems pretty insane. I didn't play the first one much as I mostly got it for my roommate but I think I'll be grabbing this one for myself.

1) how does the actual cooking work? Do u have to manage ingredients and time, or just click them and its done?

2) is the console version going to be a bad idea? Seems more like a mouse game

rickyson1

It's showing as Out Now on Humble Bundle but since they give a Steam key I'm guessing it won't work until it's live on Steam?

Humble Bundle - https://www.humblebundle.com/store/cook-serve-delicious-2
Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/386620/Cook_Serve_Delicious_2/

I did notice that despite there being a Summer Sale going at Humble that it was around the 6th best seller 15 minutes ago and when I went again to grab the link for this post it's already up to 3rd top seller.

The feature set seems pretty insane. I didn't play the first one much as I mostly got it for my roommate but I think I'll be grabbing this one for myself.

correct

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
On the off chance it's slipped your mind, Chubs, the Mac and Linux depots need to be added to the store/key sub.

1) how does the actual cooking work? Do u have to manage ingredients and time, or just click them and its done?

The console version will be fine. The controller scheme was perfectly playable -- even on PC. Ideally, you find a rhythm with your keyboard when you're trying to quickly complete orders and achieve a perfect day. Time management and muscle memory are big parts of CSD 1 and 2.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I didn't know this was today. Exciting!

Does Chubs get more $$ if i buy from Humble?

It depends. If you buy a game from the developer's Humble-hosted website or through a widget, said developer gets 95%. If you buy it from the Humble Store, that cut is reduced to 75%, which isn't much better than GOG/Steam/etc. (70%).

naib

It depends. If you buy a game from the developer's Humble-hosted game page or through a widget, said developer gets 95%. If you buy it from the standard Humble Store, that cut is reduced to 75%, which isn't much better than GOG/Steam/etc. (70%).
Okay. The game's site just has links to steam version. Where can I find the humble-hosted page? I have no idea what a widget is. LOL
I'll figure it out. Thanks JaseC :)

In my googling I saw this tweet:

chubs said:
Hey nothing like finding a stupid little bug that would have killed progression at an hour before launch eh
:grimacing:

Godspeed Chubs.

Tangeroo

It depends. If you buy a game from the developer's Humble-hosted game page or through a widget, said developer gets 95%. If you buy it from the Humble Store, that cut is reduced to 75%, which isn't much better than GOG/Steam/etc. (70%).

Thinking about it, I'm going to buy it directly on Steam. I think it might be more helpful if the game is at/near the top of the top sellers which will give it more exposure as Steam is the most popular platform.

The console version will be fine. The controller scheme was perfectly playable -- even on PC. Ideally, you find a rhythm with your keyboard when you're trying to quickly complete orders and achieve a perfect day. Time management and muscle memory are big parts of CSD 1 and 2.

Ok thanks

But how does the cooking work? The gameplay i see seems too fast to see how the details work

Ok thanks

But how does the cooking work? The gameplay i see seems too fast to see how the details work

Depends on what's being made but the general idea is you get an order and you hit keys to combine the necessary items. Pretty quickly this gets paired with waiting time for stuff to cook or whatever. This allows you to juggle orders so you do stuff during that wait time. But for things that don't cook or anything you can just hit the keys right in a row.

For an example when making a burger with toppings you'll have a key for ketchup, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. You hit the key to throw a burger on the grill and after it takes 10 seconds to cook you hit another key to move it to the bun and then hit all the keys for the toppings to slap them all together and serve it.

Does that make sense?

Depends on what's being made but the general idea is you get an order and you hit keys to combine the necessary items. Pretty quickly this gets paired with waiting time for stuff to cook or whatever. This allows you to juggle orders so you do stuff during that wait time. But for things that don't cook or anything you can just hit the keys right in a row.

For an example when making a burger with toppings you'll have a key for ketchup, mustard, lettuce, and tomato. You hit the key to throw a burger on the grill and after it takes 10 seconds to cook you hit another key to move it to the bun and then hit all the keys for the toppings to slap them all together and serve it.

Does that make sense?

Oh yeahhh that hits the SPOT!

Ive been waiting forever for a game like that, not even joking

Played a browser game as a kid like it

So its all hitting keys yeah? No dragging patties to grill, needing to flip them, potential for it to burn? Can u accidentally put wrong ingredients onto something ?

Oh yeahhh that hits the SPOT!

Ive been waiting forever for a game like that, not even joking

Played a browser game as a kid like it

So its all hitting keys yeah? No dragging patties to grill, needing to flip them, potential for it to burn? Can u accidentally put wrong ingredients onto something ?

I don't recall anything using the mouse. I think it was all keys to do all the actions. And as noted there's controller support so you can do it that way, too.

Different food will have different instructions. I don't recall burgers previously requiring a flip of the patty but there can be a lot of different actions to take. Food can be ruined by cooking too long or putting the wrong stuff on the order which I believe means you get less payment from the customer and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other specifics.

Edit: There's also things that will happen with like taking out trash, washing dishes, unplugging toilets, etc. And most things can be made simpler or automated with upgrades to your restaurant that you buy in between shifts. There's a lot of management stuff that also deals with getting buffs and debuffs based on changing the menu, having a variety of items, etc. I'm assuming this second game will continue to ramp all that up.

I don't recall anything using the mouse. I think it was all keys to do all the actions. And as noted there's controller support so you can do it that way, too.

Different food will have different instructions. I don't recall burgers previously requiring a flip of the patty but there can be a lot of different actions to take. Food can be ruined by cooking too long or putting the wrong stuff on the order which I believe means you get less payment from the customer and I'm sure I'm forgetting some other specifics.

Oh my god. This is similar to the game I wanted to make, if I had the skill

This all sounds like a dream come true and I havent even heard of the game until this thread.

Any console co op impressions
I loved overcooked, but it lacked depth and I love the sound of the story mode

naib

It doesn't look like there is one. A widget, in this context, is basically a small box containing basic production information and purchase options that can be integrated into webpages.

Edit: Here's an example.
Ahh. I gotcha on the widget.

If this does drop tonight I'm grabbing it immediately. If there's no option besides humble store page will he still get more than steam? I assume Humble buys bulk keys?

Any console co op impressions
I loved overcooked, but it lacked depth and I love the sound of the story mode
Haven't tried the coop yet but my wife found overcooked kinda dull because she was expecting something like CSD.

It's really a different game. But it is a lot of time management and pattern memorization.

The sound design is great. Slapping stuff together just feels good. An itch Overcooked didn't scratch in the same way.
Overcooked is still a neat game though, just for different reasons.

Thanks guys all of that sounds great

Hows the support of the first game? Im hoping patching for ps4 isnt hard. I get the impression the game can be buggy, so im thinking it will require updates.

Edit:eek:h cool made by a gaffer!

Ahh. I gotcha on the widget.

If this does drop tonight I'm grabbing it immediately. If there's no option besides humble store page will he still get more than steam? I assume Humble buys bulk keys?

Haven't tried the coop yet but my wife found overcooked kinda dull because she was expecting something like CSD.

It's really a different game. But it is a lot of time management and pattern memorization.

The sound design is great. Slapping stuff together just feels good. An itch Overcooked didn't scratch in the same way.
Overcooked is still a neat game though, just for different reasons.

Thanks!

So I see now this is coming to steam today after a delay. Any estimation on ps4 release date?

naib

Thanks!

So I see now this is coming to steam today after a delay. Any estimation on ps4 release date?
I'm afraid I have no idea. You have a PC? This will probably run well on a toaster.

CSD avatar up for grabs.
pqbrOkX.png

Patience. lol

The hold station/side order stuff is awesome. Really enjoying so far.

naib

I do! but Id rather get it on console so I can co-op locally on the couch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39DhHjeB8Fg

I pray the PS4 version releases this month, watching this video makes the wait irresistible
Indeed. If I get a chance to test the co-op tonight I'll let y'all know.

Wish I knew the timeframe but this month seems optimistic. Took awhile for CSD 1 to come to console iirc.

https://twitter.com/chubigans/status/877556716669251584

Look at this:
SUkdOS3.png

LOL

edit: you know all fruit loops taste the same? my inner child was crushed when I heard that.

Indeed. If I get a chance to test the co-op tonight I'll let y'all know.

Wish I knew the timeframe but this month seems optimistic. Took awhile for CSD 1 to come to console iirc.

https://twitter.com/chubigans/status/877556716669251584

Look at this:
SUkdOS3.png

LOL

edit: you know all fruit loops taste the same? my inner child was crushed when I heard that.

Didn't even know there was a console version for the first one.

Are you playing a review copy? So many questions:

1) Im scouring around for co-op info, can't seem to find any. Lemme know if you can detail what co-op modes are there?

2) What about alternative modes? I know theres the main mode where you play various restaurants and each one has levels. But are there modes like time trial, perfection modes, arcade stuff like that?

I wonder if for DLC, they could make some more interactive elements.

For example, mixing a drink requires shaking the controller/joystick, etc., putting ingredients into a blender requires opening and closing the blender (joystick up, X to put in ingredients, down on joystick to close). Maybe for a sequel :p

Edit: Just realized this exists for some of the chores, that is so cool!

Onivulk

Banned
Game is mad stressful just as before. Tons of fun.

I might wait on hotkey customization and mouse support before going much further though.

bman94

Yo. Yooooooo. I didn't know this came out already! And that it's getting a console port! I don't think I have the patience to wait for a console port if it's out now. I loved this first one.

1. You have to manage ingredients and cooking in real time. Tons of micro-managing and serving up orders while cooking at the same time.

2. Nope, for me the game is unplayable on keyboard. Too much thought has to be done to use the ingredients. The game is excellent using a Xbox One controller on the PC version. The controls in the first one was perfect and you got a great sense of rhythm and memorization for the different foods using the controller. I tried playing it with keyboard and was terrible at the first game.

naib

Didn't even know there was a console version for the first one.

Are you playing a review copy? So many questions:

1) Im scouring around for co-op info, can't seem to find any. Lemme know if you can detail what co-op modes are there?

2) What about alternative modes? I know theres the main mode where you play various restaurants and each one has levels. But are there modes like time trial, perfection modes, arcade stuff like that?

3) Don't want too many spoilers, but do the cooking tasks change/get harder? For example, for one you have to dunk in oil, or put burgers on stove, but do they get even more complex like requiring multiple steps? Or does it all come down to memorizing hotkeys to match the order?

I wonder if for DLC, they could make some more interactive elements.

For example, mixing a drink requires shaking the controller/joystick, etc., putting ingredients into a blender requires opening and closing the blender (joystick up, X to put in ingredients, down on joystick to close). Maybe for a sequel :p

I'm sorry. I'm a wealth of misinformation.
Overly excited I guess.

I'm confusing the CSD mobile android/iOS release with a console release. It's not on console. PS4 would be the 1st.

But he did add controller support that works just fine.

CSD2 on PC has coop and controller support. I plan to test it out on the steamlink. Don't have a PSN beta or anything.

DasFool

God, I'm so happy this game exists. Absolutely devoured the first one and was eagerly anticipating its sequel. I'm having a blast with CSD2 so far. However...

I might wait on hotkey customization and mouse support before going much further though.

this is much too pertinent. Not holding the down arrow key to fill beer or pressing "O" for onions just feels wrong.

Just did my first day of CSD2 in Max Weiners. Holy fuck this game got 10x harder than CSD one. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing just yet. There's a LOT more mechanics going on, which is nice as while CSD1 was stressful, there was not much beyond time pressure and memorizing the patterns, so there's variety, but there's SO MUCH more variety.

rickyson1

impressions of this a couple hours in:

so far the game has been pretty much what I expected/wanted

same general concept for the gameplay but with some new wrinkles to change things up(the holding stations are definitely making the game feel more hectic so far early on) and a massively increased amount of overall content

if you liked the first one you'll enjoy this no question about it

oipic

Just did my first day of CSD2 in Max Weiners. Holy fuck this game got 10x harder than CSD one. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing just yet. There's a LOT more mechanics going on, which is nice as while CSD1 was stressful, there was not much beyond time pressure and memorizing the patterns, so there's variety, but there's SO MUCH more variety.

I was expecting the difficulty ceiling to be lifted, but so early in the game? Golly!

Time to lobby Chubs for a 'casual mode'. I dearly love CSD, but even with the first I reached a point where I decidedly ran out of talent and skill.

Rokal

The Holding Tray mechanic seems like it adds a lot of complexity (and, well, it kind of does) but once you're used to it, it does make the game quite a bit easier. You can extend the amount of time it takes before customers get angry dramatically by keeping a side in Holding, especially going into Rush Hour.

If your menu also has Holding Tray entrees on it, the effort you put into prepping 1 holding tray item will let you serve several people with little work.

Max Weiners 1 was frantic (when isn't CSD frantic?) but I actually found it pretty easy by keeping Pretzels and Hotdogs ready to go in holding.

Very cool mechanic. I was a big fan of CSD1 and so far this exceeds my expectations from the sequel. Nice job Chubigans!

I'm sorry. I'm a wealth of misinformation.
Overly excited I guess.

I'm confusing the CSD mobile android/iOS release with a console release. It's not on console. PS4 would be the 1st.

But he did add controller support that works just fine.

CSD2 on PC has coop and controller support. I plan to test it out on the steamlink. Don't have a PSN beta or anything.

Youve been great, appreciate all the info because it was a bit difficult finding some of it

Not to criticize the game for what it doesnt have, but I can already imagine things for a sequel or dlc.

Competitive local modes and solo arcade modes sound like a huge possibility

Imagine online leaderboards, weekly order challenges, etc!

Played the first day of the second tower. Fuck it was intense. The holding tray mechanics amd trying to keep track of things like side dishes, pretzels etc is awesome.

So is this more of a set of challenges this time without the progressive restaurant? I dont know if I am overlookong something.

megalowho

Nobody wants my macaroni

Rush hour is definitely intense, especially while learning new foods, but I like it. The music quieting right before the literal rush of customers is great, the anticipation is palpable.

Top Bottom