• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cops claim black man advanced on them with knife. Vid shows them shooting him in back

Violater

Not even the farce of an investigation at this point, they don't even remotely fear repercussions for their actions.

They took his life for not having a bicycle light? WTF?

No they stopped him because he didn't have a light while being black, then killed him because he was black.

They need to change the law regarding this "feared for our lives" bullshit defense...............and they need to do it YESTERDAY.,...........FFS....................................

Foffy

Banned
Here we go again. Fucking hell, America, what's wrong with you? This doesn't happen in other first world countries. It just doesn't.

That's because America is not a first world country. It's a gilded country where most citizens are at best, second-class unless they're white and wealthy.

I was in a presentation recently where a local cop, a police negotiator, talked about her experience during a negotiator convention in America. I'm in Australia btw.

The officer told us she felt the significant cultural differences when she was there. The other negotiators were very confused because she did not have any weapons and did not require to use any during her time as a police negotiator.

She said there was a table full of weapons for the other negotiators to update their arsenals and everyone was excited when they announced the door prize, which was a Colt handgun or something.

People have movie-inspired fears about robotic overlords, but I swear there'd be so many fewer murders if all of our cops were replaced by robots. For one, they couldn't peddle the bullshit narrative about fearing for their lives at every little thing - let alone someone running away from them.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
They took his life for not having a bicycle light? WTF?
There was a video from a shooting a few years back, where two cops stop a Latin man for wearing headsets while riding a bike. They claimed that he had a gun and shot one of the officers while they were attempting to arrest him. Video however showed that although they did find a gun on his person, one of the officers threw the gun away, and that same officer then attempted to shoot the victim but instead shot his partner.

He doesn’t mention that he did it, while his partner is yelling at the victim asking him why he shot him. The first officer than proceeds to aim his gun at the victim’s chest, and while the victim is begging and asking why he wants to shoot him, he fires into his chest. After that happens, the officer who is shot, pulls his weapon out, places the muzzle on the victim’s back, and “pop...pop...pop”.

Without the video, they would have faced no charges, as the initial report stated that the victim had shot the one officer, and they reacted in self defence.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.latim...a/la-me-sheriff-video-20151223-story,amp.html

Now, even the video evidence isn’t enough to nail these police officers.

The district attorney’s office claimed...

And this right here is the problem and why I get so frustrated when posters bring up cops being found not guilty in these trials as if that means anything. You can't expect these prosecutors to treat the police as criminals when they're all part of the same system. All of these case of police brutality and questionable shootings should be investigated and prosecuted by an independent federal agency.

I literally had a debate with someone today where I was arguing that there are no good police departments and he was saying that Salt Lake City was one of the few departments trying to do good in America, and I was like nah. And then I read this, the horrifying truth yet again that there are no good PDs because they're all instruments of murder and white supremacy.

Phrynobatrachus

Neo Member
There was a video from a shooting a few years back, where two cops stop a Latin man for wearing headsets while riding a bike. They claimed that he had a gun and shot one of the officers while they were attempting to arrest him. Video however showed that although they did find a gun on his person, one of the officers threw the gun away, and that same officer then attempted to shoot the victim but instead shot his partner.

He doesn’t mention that he did it, while his partner is yelling at the victim asking him why he shot him. The first officer than proceeds to aim his gun at the victim’s chest, and while the victim is begging and asking why he wants to shoot him, he fires into his chest. After that happens, the officer who is shot, pulls his weapon out, places the muzzle on the victim’s back, and “pop...pop...pop”.

Without the video, they would have faced no charges, as the informal report stated that the victim had shot the one officer, and they reacted in self defence.

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.latim...a/la-me-sheriff-video-20151223-story,amp.html

holy fuck

He doesn't mention that he did it, while his partner is yelling at the victim asking him why he shot him. The first officer than proceeds to aim his gun at the victim's chest, and while the victim is begging and asking why he wants to shoot him, he fires into his chest. After that happens, the officer who is shot, pulls his weapon out, places the muzzle on the victim's back, and ”pop...pop...pop".

Without the video, they would have faced no charges, as the informal report stated that the victim had shot the one officer, and they reacted in self defence.

Now, even the video evidence isn't enough to nail these police officers.

How... How...How.

Police so often caught literally acting no better than a gang.

I mean, I don't know what to say anymore. For every one of these events leaking out, 100 of them go unnoticed.

The injustice and helplessness I feel, I can't even begin to imagine how the victims, their family and victimized groups at large must feel.

Damn. Damn damn damn.

What's worse than these trigger happy racist cops is the local DA who maintains this is a clean shoot and the officer did nothing wrong.
But keep on keeping on Amerikka, just be prepared for citizens to deal with this the other way when the courts offer no accountability or justice.

I thought America was the self-proclaimed Home of the Brave? Fearing for your life from a black guy running away from you, so brave.

MicH

Fucking disgusting. Why do American cops always shoot to kill?

These stories are horrifying. American cops are gross and incompetent as all hell. Yet they still get away it. Ugh.

Sooo
As a black guy I can tell you personally. Seeing this over and over is taking a toll on my/our psyche. I can’t tell you how it will turn out, but I can see it changing people.
If the courts keep letting these bad cops off, I can tell you how it will turn out: people will take matters into their own hands.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I mean, he was pulled over for not having a fucking bike light.

Even if he WAS trying to get away, he was on a bike....without a light....WHY WERE GUNS EVEN CONSIDERED?!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
A life was ended over a fucking bicycle light. Fuck the cops. Fucking murderers.
Just a reminder of events from the past few months:

A life was ended over multi-tool pliers.
A life was ended over talking to the other cop in the cruiser.

I hate generalizing, but US police seem to have a general problem. It seems people get on the force, who have no place getting access to firearms.

Oh, wait.. access to firearms.

devilhawk

It's hard to tell the timing but I think it's possible that the one idiot cop thought his partner was shooting the man (but it was with a taser) and figured it meant he gets to shoot the man too.

I mean, he was pulled over for not having a fucking bike light.

Even if he WAS trying to get away, he was on a bike....without a light....WHY WERE GUNS EVEN CONSIDERED?!
Racists will tell you he had a felony assault on his record and he shoved one of the cops.
I just see a frightened older man, mentally ill, that non-racist cops would've subdued without lethal force.

There's no way to disprove the "feared for my life" bullshit so the executions of black people will just keep going on legally without repercussion.

The justice system is perfectly designed to keep us down and Im so fucking tired of it.

R.I.P. Patrick Harmon.

Wow, another sadistic murder. They just won't stop.

Makes me wonder though, what is stopping cops for going on an ethnic cleansing where they shoot all the black people and call it a massive act of self defense and get medals for it?

RoyalFool

Banned
Isn't this whole fuck cops thing a self fulfilling prophecy?

Black folks think the cops want to kill them so run away for even minor offences. Cops shoot them for running away and the cycle continues.

For those high profile cases where the cops really did fucked up (e.g. that guy reaching for his papers) they should have doubled down and locked them up else this sort of shit will just keep propagating.

Haunted

It's always embarrassing when you hear these third world country stories from a supposed first world country.

RIP to that poor man being born the wrong skin colour in a racist country.

Black folks think the cops want to kill them so run away for even minor offences. Cops shoot them for running away and the cycle continues.

For those high profile cases where the cops really did fucked up (e.g. that guy reaching for his papers) they should have doubled down and locked them up else this sort of shit will just keep propagating.
The problem here isn't that people run away from cops, the problem is that the cops' first response is to shoot. Running from cops is not punishable by death. The prophecy is being fulfilled because we're giving stupid racists guns and expecting them to be better than their credentials.

As long as we keep giving badges to bad people, we'll have bad cops. When there are enough bad cops, they cover for each other so they can't be punished. Because of this, good cops can't do shit and might as well not exist in these discussions.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

You do know the police force in America has been an antagonising force for Blacks since they were founded right? Blacks have historically had good reason to be fearful of the police in the United States. It’s not a self fulfilling prophecy if it’s true.

US cops can’t deal with minorities, they can’t deal with the mentally ill, they can’t deal with dogs, they can’t deal with citizens showing up to their car window, they can’t deal with children playing with toys, they can’t seem to get their drug busts to not hit the wrong house and then kill the occupants in the wrongfully targeted home, they can’t stop themselves from planting drugs on innocent peaople, a racist idiot calling them to report a “suspicious” minority can and will lead to injuries or death of innocent people, they can’t be stopped from stealing people’s property by way of civil forfeitures, and the good cops are either silent or get ostracised for speaking up. Your cops sound like a criminal organisation.

llien

Can people really be arrested for not having light on a bike?

*black man runs in opposite direction of officers*

"We feared for our lives"

*run* *opposite direction*

*opposite*

That's my reaction as well, yet I'm not that sure after watching the video, this is the moment they shoot ("cut you"):

Q5SUPQZ.png

he's at the same spot as at 0:21 so not running away.
It's hard to say if he has a knife at that moment (which isn't that unlikely, given "cut you"), if he does, he's close enough to be dangerous.

zon

It has probably been thought of before but it just struck me there are probably more than just a few serial killers in America who work as police officers, kill people whenever you feel like it and have the goverment protect you from any consequences...

Without the video, they would have faced no charges, as the initial report stated that the victim had shot the one officer, and they reacted in self defence.

Yeah, I remember this one. Fucking horrifying.

snap0212

Like do cops in the US not get any training or something? Whenever they’re in the news, they’re always terribly trained or sometimes, when there’s a story about a good cop, I only think “Duh, that’s his job”. The glorification of the police force in the US is also weird. You should get rid of that first.

People have movie-inspired fears about robotic overlords, but I swear there'd be so many fewer murders if all of our cops were replaced by robots. For one, they couldn't peddle the bullshit narrative about fearing for their lives at every little thing - let alone someone running away from them.
Someone would have to program those robots, and give them parameters and cases for acting, and since they'd be very expensive we'd hear things like "The artificial intelligence of the robot did what appeared reasonably necessary to protect the assets of the Police Department"

Aske

I mean, I don't know what to say anymore. For every one of these events leaking out, 100 of them go unnoticed.

The injustice and helplessness I feel, I can't even begin to imagine how the victims, their family and victimized groups at large must feel.

Damn. Damn damn damn.

You put it perfectly. I usually have a pretty thick skin, but yes, despite being both white and not-American, the sense of injustice and helplessness I feel right now is like a punch in the gut. I know it means distressingly little, but all I can think to offer is unwavering support for those pushing for change. Stay strong, Black GAF.

Top Bottom