• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Core PS Gamers. If and when would you commit to PC gaming?

Whats the tipping point of making PC gaming your major hub?

• Recently converted to PC

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • I will convert only if tons more PS first party games go PC

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • I will convert based off recent official porting strategy (ports trickle in slowly like 1/yr)

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • Not going anywhere. Will stick to PS no matter what PC strategy Sony does

Votes: 126 62.7%
  • Other

Votes: 42 20.9%

• Total voters

DelireMan7

PC gaming request to many involvement for me (take care of the beast and regularly update drivers et upgrade components). I just have a "gaming" laptop, from 7-8 years ago, which I now use once or twice a year for gaming. Some games were working perfectly then after an update (drivers, Windows, ...) they decide to run like shit. I don't have the patience to deal with that.

On console, I just put my disk and the game runs properly, not matter the age of the device.

One thing will make me build a gaming PC : Half Life 3. Maybe Warcraft 4 (RTS).

EDIT : I am not a "PS core gamer". I mainly play on PS (and I don't care about the exclusivity stuff.)I have some Nintendo console. No Xbox (yet). I play games not platform.

Last edited:

Alphagear

Probably just an answer to all the people crying that sony's first party pc ports will kill playstation and thus shouldn't be done. If this thread is any indication, none of the doom they're claiming will happen of ps players abandoning the platform in droves will actually happen.

Won't happen if only last gen games are released but it could if current gen games are.

The moment PS hardware sales are affected due to PS games going to PC just watch the PC ports stop.

Sony are just testing the waters for now.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nah, the truly ascended know eletronics in general are a pain regardless. If you want a hobby with zero headaches, just abandon gaming and go read books.
I don't agree.
I am a pc gamer for 25 years. It's always a pain.
Even ith 3080. Something always don't work Right. My last example Saints row 3 remastered:
-Cutscenes locked to 22fps, gameplay to 67 lol. Turns out I had to enable RTSS for some reason.
-Game don't remember settings and don't autosave for whatever reason....
-Each time when I start a game, it locks to 60fps. I have to disable and reenable HDR in order to unlock fps.
-HDR Bridghtness setting is broken
-Game can lock to 30fps after few missions
-Game can crash (likely)
-Fiddling with mouse sensitivity is a MUST. It was way overboard at first.
etc etc etc....

It's not just this port. It's like that with pretty much everything I play recently. And no - It's not my personal issue. I am an expert user. Cannot imagine anyone with better experience and knowledge than me. I have only 1 friend with similar experience and he also hates his pc life to some extent... but we are stuck in it because benefits outweight all the crap most of time

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I don't agree.
Even ith 3080. Something always don't work Right. My last example Saints row 3 remastered:
-Cutscenes locked to 22fps, gameplay to 67 lol. Turns out I had to enable RTSS for some reason.
-Each time when I start a game, it locks to 60fps. I have to disable and reenable HDR in order to unlock fps.
-Game can crash (likely)
etc etc etc....

It's not just this port. It's like that with pretty much everything I play recently. And no - It's not my personal issue. I am an expert user. Cannot imagine anyone with better experience and knowledge than me. I have only 1 friend with similar experience and he also hates his pc life to some extent... but we are stuck in it because benefits outweight all the crap most of time
Somethings wrong with your computer if that's the case. I play all modern games on PC and I haven't had a single problem in maybe 5 or so years.

Guilty_AI

I don't agree.
-Game can crash (likely)
etc etc etc....

oh no, i'm not denying pc gaming can be a pain. I'm merely claiming anyone who thinks console gaming is hassle free will be in for some nasty surprises most likely.

Truth is, anything regarding eletronics is a dice roll, not just PCs.

Last edited:
Not interested in PC gaming or building a gaming PC to be honest.

I do have the budget to build one. I guess I'm already satisfied with my PS5.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Won't happen if only last gen games are released but it could if current gen games are.

The moment PS hardware sales are affected due to PS games going to PC just watch the PC ports stop.
If this thread is any indication, ps hardware sales won't be affected at all. So sony can safely keep the ports coming, isn't that nice?

Rippa

Not going anywhere.

95% of PC games are indie shovel ware.

Why I would need to spend $THOUSANDS$ to play them, a shinier version of whatever 3rd party games release and 5 year old PlayStation studio games is beyond me.

Cool for the folks that dig that though but I’m good with my $500 machine.
🤘🏼

pratyush

I dont like gaming on PC. Its just feels like extra work. I play on PC from time to time (have a decent PC aswell) but i always prefer console gaming

AmuroChan

I'm good. I don't have the desire to own/maintain a desktop PC. I have a laptop which I use for work, and a couple of iPads. Those + my consoles are enough devices for me.

JumpMan1981

Banned
Not saying you have to fully 100% switch over (just about everyone multiplats some amount). But lets say youre a main PS gamer now, at what point would you switch to PC?

But a major list of possible PS games might come to PC at some point (probably handled by Nixxes). But that list includes all kinds of unreliable listings of other games that are cancelled or not shown up yet.
Basically never.
100% cannot be bothered with the messing about required with PCs.
What I like to do is just plug my console in and get on with gaming.
Performance doesn't matter, graphics don't matter.
I just want good games to play with minimal fuss.

Topher

Gold Member
Have been on both PS and PC for quite some time and I don't expect that to change.

No, because there is no valid reason to prefer the same game on a console over a gaming PC (other than the reasons I previously stated).

Trophies. I have a gaming PC that is superior than my PS5 but a lot of times I just want to play a game on PS because I want to try and get the Platinum. As valid a reason as anything, imo.

Faithless83

Banned
People who cared about PC already have one.
Gaming development costs is what drove Sony to do this, Playstation is still their main focus.

Considering the price of PC parts, what I'm seeing is people moving from PC to consoles (like myself this gen) and not the other way around.

rushgore

I used to say that but plug an HDMI and open steam big picture and it is the same experience except the ridiculous prices and a wider range of games to choose from. Now thanks to Sony strategy you can also play their first party games on PC.
for that to work as a viable alternative to a console, you would have to build a small form factor computer, which would also cost even more than an ATX build.

Not saying you have to fully 100% switch over (just about everyone multiplats some amount). But lets say youre a main PS gamer now, at what point would you switch to PC?

But a major list of possible PS games might come to PC at some point (probably handled by Nixxes). But that list includes all kinds of unreliable listings of other games that are cancelled or not shown up yet.

Well you didn't provide me with a guarantee that all PS5 exclusives will come to PC. So I would say it would be a while before I even consider abandoning the platform. And even then building a PC that destroys the PS5 is extremely expensive right now. If I wanted something similar in power I would just buy a PS5.

But hey my PC is awesome for emulation. Really love playing through PlayStation games with Duckstation. And I even got PS2 games to work on it.

goldcd

Neo Member
Why do PC Gamers care what platform other people play on? How droll.
There is a lot of missionary zeal in trying to get the converts - "I have seen the light and wish to share with you my good news"

I'm maybe one of those people and whilst there's a definite "PC Master Race" element on my side, think it's usually well intentioned - I've flip-flopped between gaming on primarily on PCs and Consoles for well over 30 years.
Currently my only console is a switch (as I love Nintendo's first-party stuff).

I think most of the pro-PC points are valid - you can upgrade it, games are cheaper, more games etc etc. I think some of the old issues are now resolved (patches, drivers, windows crashing all the time).
Definite downside is the upfront price though and if you're not PC-familiar, troubleshooting can be a nightmare (I just came back from deciding not to buy Deathloop on PC, due to the number of people reporting issues) - console players seem happier.

Topher

Gold Member
There is a lot of missionary zeal in trying to get the converts - "I have seen the light and wish to share with you my good news"

I'm maybe one of those people and whilst there's a definite "PC Master Race" element on my side, think it's usually well intentioned - I've flip-flopped between gaming on primarily on PCs and Consoles for well over 30 years.
Currently my only console is a switch (as I love Nintendo's first-party stuff).

I think most of the pro-PC points are valid - you can upgrade it, games are cheaper, more games etc etc. I think some of the old issues are now resolved (patches, drivers, windows crashing all the time).
Definite downside is the upfront price though and if you're not PC-familiar, troubleshooting can be a nightmare (I just came back from deciding not to buy Deathloop on PC, due to the number of people reporting issues) - console players seem happier.

First, welcome to GAF!

There is also the aspect of gaming location. I mean where in the house someone wants to play. That's a pretty key element, I think. I would not want to play PC games on a TV in my living room. Fumbling around with a keyboard and mouse on a couch is just horrible. Yeah....there are things you can do to make it better, but PC gaming is still best on a desk. The living room is where consoles thrive. You've got your controller and that's all you really need. Turn it on and start gaming. Simple.

But desktop gaming has its advantages. First, since you are sitting so close to your monitor, there is really no need for a massive display. This is why 1080p displays around 27" are still the preferred monitor for may PC gamers. And at that resolution, or even slightly higher at 1440p, PC gamers don't really have to have the most powerful rigs to get high frame rates. So just by virtue of sitting at a desk vs on a couch changes quite a great deal if you think about it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There only 106 users responding so far, so it's obviously a tiny sample size from GAF users.

But as many of us have suspected, most PS gamers arent going anywhere as per the poll. Some will bolt if Sony releases lots of first party games but that hasnt come to fruition yet. And only a tiny number have already left or will leave based on current strategy.

So for anyone thinking doom and gloom, its basically a non-factor right now.

First, welcome to GAF!

There is also the aspect of gaming location. I mean where in the house someone wants to play. That's a pretty key element, I think. I would not want to play PC games on a TV in my living room. Fumbling around with a keyboard and mouse on a couch is just horrible. Yeah....there are things you can do to make it better, but PC gaming is still best on a desk. The living room is where consoles thrive. You've got your controller and that's all you really need. Turn it on and start gaming. Simple.

But desktop gaming has its advantages. First, since you are sitting so close to your monitor, there is really no need for a massive display. This is why 1080p displays around 27" are still the preferred monitor for may PC gamers. And at that resolution, or even slightly higher at 1440p, PC gamers don't really have to have the most powerful rigs to get high frame rates. So just by virtue of sitting at a desk vs on a couch changes quite a great deal if you think about it.
My desk is in my living room

Topher

Gold Member
My desk is in my living room

Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

sircaw

Banned
Zero-interest in moving.

The quality of the hardware, The price, the best exclusive games and i get all that while sitting my fat arse on the couch in front of a big tv.

Perfection. :messenger_grinning:

Aion002

Eh... PC for me these days is only for emulation and RTS games.

Everything else I rather play on consoles.

Lately I even have have my ps2 connected to the tv and I rather play on it than turn on the pc to use a emulator....

I am seriously thinking about buying an old tv and just connect all my old consoles on it.

Mabdia

Well... each day Sony is making the decision to jump to PC easier, I'm moving to PC. Nowadays I know that eventually I will play some PlayStation's games on my PC, I just don't need a PlayStation console anymore.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Not sure I'll go back to PC gaming ever as my main. I like PC gaming, don't get me wrong, but I just like the simplicity of consoles. Im happy the PC folks are getting the Sony games to play though.

Fahdis

You forgot you need to build it first and then install the OS. The 2nd factor is the cost.

You can get pre-builts with the OS installed. Everything has a cost. You're paying 1/3 of the expense with a console. If well taken care of the CPU can last you 5-7 years with multi tasking abilities, regional store sales which are $ amounts and free access to online gaming.

DonF

I live in South America (Chile) and PC part here are super expensive, and guarantee for part are shit. I can get a console and performance for cheaper. And better support.
Very hard for me to make the switch.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Somethings wrong with your computer if that's the case. I play all modern games on PC and I haven't had a single problem in maybe 5 or so years.
Absolutely nothing wrong with my computer. How can you even say that ?! Where that idiotic idea could even come from? 3700x, 3200mhz ram, 3080, x570 motherboard. Latest uefi, nvme drives (also latest firmware). There can be nothing wrong with it. The issues are with software, windows and drivers.
Go to pcgamingwiki or steamforums and check saints row 3 remaster. It is absolutely normal. Many other examples.
12 minutes crashed hard 2 times and genreally the performance was super heavy.
FF XV ran kinda like dogshit. Had to disable assets as it's some bullshit named option that destroys original vision. Had to disable vxao because it's some nvidia 20fps ambient occlusion that is essentially broken and does nothing visually. The game slowed down in some cutscenes to 20 because why not.

You are maybe too casual to notice issues or not enough of a power user but don't you tell me something is wrong on my side. With over 2k spent on latest rig, newset drivers, all the EXPERT knowledge? So if I would somehow miss something crucial that makes games and drivers a buggy mess on my pc... that would still somehow be my fault ?! how dare you even suggest that. Your new expensive car running bad? oh you must be a bad driver then.

I don't think it is unreasonable for me, to expect stuff to just work. It's not windows 98 anymore. And as it is, I have to fiddle with almost every damn game if I want to use my hardware fully and so on.

NahaNago

I just don't see it happening. I've had a gaming pc and laptop and still ended up playing nearly everything on console.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Absolutely nothing wrong with my computer. How can you even say that ?! Where that idiotic idea could even come from? 3700x, 3200mhz ram, 3080, x570 motherboard. Latest uefi, nvme drives (also latest firmware). There can be nothing wrong with it. The issues are with software, windows and drivers.
Go to pcgamingwiki or steamforums and check saints row 3 remaster. It is absolutely normal. Many other examples.
12 minutes crashed hard 2 times and genreally the performance was super heavy.
FF XV ran kinda like dogshit. Had to disable assets as it's some bullshit named option that destroys original vision. Had to disable vxao because it's some nvidia 20fps ambient occlusion that is essentially broken and does nothing visually. The game slowed down in some cutscenes to 20 because why not.

You are maybe too casual to notice issues or not enough of a power user but don't you tell me something is wrong on my side. With over 2k spent on latest rig, newset drivers, all the EXPERT knowledge? So if I would somehow miss something crucial that makes games and drivers a buggy mess on my pc... that would still somehow be my fault ?! how dare you even suggest that. Your new expensive car running bad? oh you must be a bad driver then.

I don't think it is unreasonable for me, to expect stuff to just work. It's not windows 98 anymore. And as it is, I have to fiddle with almost every damn game if I want to use my hardware fully and so on.
Hey calm down Mr. Expert user, no need to be disrespectful here. I can understand a game or two being poorly optimized, but you said you have those problems with pretty much everything you play recently, and that's from where my "idiotic idea" that something must be wrong with your computer comes from. Because I've played all modern games since 2017 on a PC, and have had 0 issues. Including FF XV, which seemed to be unoptimized but still perfectly playable at 60fps.

But hey, you could more or less fix your problems with FF XV running like dogshit. Guess what, I can't do that with Bloodborne on my PS4.

MikeM

I want to build today but the market price of GPUs at the moment is...laughable. I went into my local computer store and the cost of a 6700xt was the same as what I paid for both a Series X and PS5 almost to the exact dollar. For a mid range card. lol. I'll hold off until things normalize or when RDNA3 comes out.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hey calm down Mr. Expert user, no need to be disrespectful here. I can understand a game or two being poorly optimized, but you said you have those problems with pretty much everything you play recently, and that's from where my "idiotic idea" that something must be wrong with your computer comes from. Because I've played all modern games since 2017 on a PC, and have had 0 issues. Including FF XV, which seemed to be unoptimized but still perfectly playable at 60fps.

But hey, you could more or less fix your problems with FF XV running like dogshit. Guess what, I can't do that with Bloodborne on my PS4.
I can call myself an expert since there is no other way for you to know if you are talking to new user or experienced one. How could you know.

Bloodborne is perfectly fine on ps4. Surprisingly smooth and responsive for 30fps. Never saw much of an issue with it. Of course I would love for it to be 4k120. Nothing I would love more but for 2015, it was a good release.
FF XV on pc stuttered like shit even when I capped to 60fps. I managed some settings and it was fine but I hate that I had to do that with pc far exceeding the release date of that game.
At this point - I would prefer ignorance and just play on console. Focus on a game and not on making things perfect.

I am just annoyed that no matter how much money you spend and how much you know... console still offers better experience. Just plain more game focused.
Sure, I played RE Village about 90fps on pc since I choosed it on pc instead on ps5. But I had a crash or three, stutters due to infamous Denuvo, worse 3d audio and missed out on pretty cool dualsense. But the pc version was cheaper to let's say it's ok

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For those of you talking PC games have issues, I'm a new gamer to GOG and Steam buying low end bargain games to play on my shitty laptop. Bought maybe 10-15 games since beginning of the year.

They arent the games that will break ram or a gpu, but the whole GOG/Steam launcher, download a game and play it it's been smooth and easier than I thought it would be. I have had a few crashes and sometimes loading up Steam takes a while (not sure why). But it's been good.

The Steam/GOG interface is very PC-ish (stat/text based), whereas console UI is more about visual appeal. But it's cool to have a UI with tons of profile info, store, account info, time played etc.... Even has achievements for some games.

Last edited:

NovaSe7en

I don't agree.
-Game can crash (likely)
etc etc etc....

Framerate, broken HDR, crashes... console games have all of these problems too.

The difference with PC is that we have options and can choose to fix it. We don't HAVE to tinker. Most games are perfectly playable as is, but we do it because we can. And, it's a double-edged sword.

A lot of gamers are willing to give up freedom for convenience. I am not one of them.

Edit: To give a recent example, Tales of Arise has really bad pop-in. Modders patched it. Don't like pop-in but own the console version? Too bad. Live with it, or pray that the publisher gives enough of a shit to fix it for you.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't agree.
-Game can crash (likely)
etc etc etc....

At least you got options for adjusting settings that affect frame rate.

Console gamers historically are capped at 30 fps for big budget AAA games and only recently moved to 60 fps a lot with new gen systems. Unless a game gives performance/quality options (a whopping 2-3 choices), all the other visual settings adjusted wont even affect frame rate at all.

For most of the PS1/PS2/PS3 eras, most games were 30 fps, especially the big budget games that need raw power.

TintoConCasera

I can call myself an expert since there is no other way for you to know if you are talking to new user or experienced one. How could you know.
Understandable. But man, calling yourself an "expert" is kinda cringe, better say "I'm not a new user". Just my opinion ofc. ^^u

Bloodborne is perfectly fine on ps4. Surprisingly smooth and responsive for 30fps. Never saw much of an issue with it. Of course I would love for it to be 4k120. Nothing I would love more but for 2015, it was a good release.
Fuck no, that game stutters like crazy and has the worst frame pacing ever. Like yeah, it's perfectly playable but far from the ideal experience.

FF XV on pc stuttered like shit even when I capped to 60fps. I managed some settings and it was fine but I hate that I had to do that with pc far exceeding the release date of that game.

At this point - I would prefer ignorance and just play on console. Focus on a game and not on making things perfect.

I am just annoyed that no matter how much money you spend and how much you know... console still offers better experience. Just plain more game focused.
Sure, I played RE Village about 90fps on pc since I choosed it on pc instead on ps5. But I had a crash or three, stutters due to infamous Denuvo, worse 3d audio and missed out on pretty cool dualsense. But the pc version was cheaper to let's say it's ok
I get your point, playing on console will always be more straight forward than PC. But I still think you are exagerating with the PC issues, and there's no way a console is a better experience than a PC, which gives you better graphics, performance (unless the game has been coded by interns, but that's not the PC fault), freedom on customization, etc.

I'm not trying to "convert" anyone here btw, just saying that some of you guys love making playing on a PC like some kind of rocket science.

KAL2006

Banned
Id convert if Sony were more consistent and if I knew all there games will now come on PC. It doesn't even need to be day 1, even 2 years wait I don't mind. But the fact that we need to second guess if a game is coming to PC is frustrating. And Sony's first party games are some of the top must have games for me I can't give up playing games like God of War.

HTK

Banned
It's hard to compete with $399 or $499 PlayStation console that has amazing visuals at 60FPS for single player games and reaching 120FPS in multiplayer games. With the plug and play aspect of it. With every console having these fast SSD's that have removed another pain point (loading). From games to OS being optimized to remove any frictions between players, games, and delivering industries best triple A titles.

With PC parts being hard to get and sold way over MSRP, me personally I've been eyeing the Xbox Series X over trying to put a PC together.

With PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X at $1,000 and a LG OLED at $1,500 there literally is no reason for a PC unless you're a competitive gamer.

Fbh

Don't have a Ps5.
But as someone who has been primarily playing on Sony consoles since the Ps1, I was ready to make the jump to PC...... Until the prices went to hell.
Since I don't own a PC I'd have to build one from scratch, and with the current prices in my country you are looking at $2k+ for something like a Rtx3060 build which I think is just too much money for the performance you are getting.

So, basically, when it becomes more affordable.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I own/play all platforms but PS is where a gravitate to mostly. PC is really a last resort, mostly to play strategy games. The only way PC would become my primary gaming device is if a viable option to run most (all really) games involved not having Windows and Sony (or MS) refused to make another console. Looking forward to the SteamDeck as that may become my primary handheld device especially if it plays indie games better than the Switch, so that may become my defacto way to play on a 'PC'.

At least you got options for adjusting settings that affect frame rate.

Console gamers historically are capped at 30 fps for big budget AAA games and only recently moved to 60 fps a lot with new gen systems. Unless a game gives performance/quality options (a whopping 2-3 choices), all the other visual settings adjusted wont even affect frame rate at all.

For most of the PS1/PS2/PS3 eras, most games were 30 fps, especially the big budget games that need raw power.
I would be happy with one choice that the devs deem is the best.

On PC I end up tweaking more than I need.
I always feel like I can make it run even better...
Fuck that shit, I maintain and optimize complex processes and tool chains on multiple OS platforms for living not doing it on my free time.

Top Bottom