• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karma Jawa

Yesterday was talking to a few friends that live in England (a few in London, one in Guernsey) through facetime and those that live in London were telling me that people are basically ignoring the lockdown, they still take the tube, everyone runs now (mostly people that barely exercised before now go out for a "run"), theres private parties going on, people still gather at will.

My other friend that lives in Guernsey, says everyone is taking it very seriously, he says maybe because theres a lot of immigrants and being an island with a small population, and much of that population is slightly older (average 40 y/o) people look at whats happening in London and are reacting accordingly.

I suspect this should be the same for other remote areas around the UK, but we will see big numbers coming out of London if they dont change their lifestyle urgently.

Most people here in the UK are taking it seriously. There’s a few idiots ignoring the terms of the lockdown but it really is a minority. The police are moving those people along and issuing fines to repeat offenders..

The real hotspot is Birmingham and the midlands in general, but yeah I suspect London will see a big rise in numbers. For now the figures are pretty low here in Bristol. I’m fairly confident that I’ve already had it, and I caught it off someone who fell ill after a weekend in London. I’ve barely left the house for over three weeks.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty hilarious to see our UK politicians gleefully threatening us, the unwashed scum normal folk, with further restrictions on our movement... On the same fucking day it comes out that the chief medical officer of Scotland was taking her whole family lovely wee trips to their holiday home the past two weekends.

Fuckers.

Almost everybody I know. All my close friends, almost all my close family, are now off work & stuck in our homes. Staying in touch through WhatsApp. Climbing the fucking walls. Watching that woman lecture us every day on the TV... And she's out there saying "Rules for thee"... And now we're being threatened with more fun authoritarianism to come.

Fuck this virus man.

llien

What is extremely frustrating to hear is that certain older folk are flouting the rules in Retirement Homes citing the reason of "I don't care if I die from it" and are happy to spread it to their vulnerable carers, cleaners and family members who are doing all they can to not give it to these older people.

It's a story in my area of Manchester going around and you have to wonder why they are being so selfish and careless about this.

Sakura

Well that does raise some questions if its all about profits. How expensive is this vaccine going to be and outside of the 1st world will people be able to afford it?

I sure as hell hope they will have a vaccine, but right now its all like ya in 18 months will have a vaccine. Thats not some guarantee date. Fauci is very confident but this could fail at the animal stage or the human stage.
Point to me is a vaccine isn't a guarantee, nor is it a guarantee to be within 12-18 months. and 12 to 18 months is just to far off. By that time there will be no food and people will have starved to death on the streets and probably millions of people will be homeless. So really there won't be any where for people to be lockdown to.
So there needs to be a back up plan or better solution then stay the fuck home. Thats working for now but eventually we need to transition to something else.

The good thing is if there is a second wave we will be much better prepared, and have better testing. Antibody tests will eventually roll out. And in 6 months from now we will probably have the ability to test within hours if not minutes and to test millions of people.
The thing with vaccines is it costs a lot to do the R&D, all the required tests/clinical trials, approval process, etc. Companies that make vaccines are a business. They are doing it for profit. You don't make a vaccine for a disease that nobody has, because you lose a lot of money.
With SARS, China didn't report the disease till Feb 2003, and by July WHO had already declared the outbreak contained. Since then there had only been a few sporadic cases, mainly by people working in labs and such, with the last case in 2004. A vaccine would not have been ready in the short amount of time the SARS outbreak went on for, and they aren't going to keep pouring money into it when the disease isn't around any more.
Likewise with MERS, there are only a couple hundred cases a year, and virtually all of them are in the middle east. It doesn't make financial sense for companies to make vaccines for it.

I wouldn't worry about the vaccine being expensive. Economies of scale and all that. Countries would likely foot most of, if not all, the costs anyway because they want their economies to go back to normal.

You are right in that we don't really know what a vaccine for corona will look like. It could be perfect, or it could not work well at all. All I am saying is the lack of vaccines for SARS or MERS shouldn't be a cause of concern.

Last edited:

MastAndo

So my grandmother passed early this morning. She was at a nursing home battling Dementia and other health problems. We were told earlier this week that she was coughing and feverish, so naturally the suspicion was it might be Coronavirus, but I would imagine if that were the case, the whole place would be infected. That doesn't appear to be the case. She had been getting better too, according to the staff, but must have taken a turn overnight.

I just feel terrible for my mom, as she wasn't able to be by her side, nor can we do much of anything now other than wait until "after Easter" to have some sort of service for her. It's just a cruel, confusing time.

This probably isn't the thread for this, but I wanted to post this here to wish you all well. Cherish your time together with your loved ones once things are back to something resembling normalcy. Stay safe, friends.

Kadayi

Banned
Lucky bastard. My lot have furloughed my UK team [topping up their pay so they don't lose out] (and binned those elsewhere as other countries don't offer such generous support as the UK gov) but left me as the sole remaining poor bastard keeping shit running. I can't complain though - I've got a job and I'm grateful for that.

Not that lucky. I'm self-employed (though I've been working on an open contract for a while), I should be able to claim some money from the government but it will be a while before that scheme comes into effect (June IIRC) thankfully the bank balance is pretty healthy so I'm not going to become destitute quite yet, but I do know I'm the exception rather than the rule on these matters and I do worry about how others less fortunate are going to fare, the longer this continues.

Last edited:
S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
A shame if she's not fired.

She's stepping back from the daily briefings.

Don't know that I want her fired at this exact moment. She is the chief medical officer. Probably a very important person right now, I would assume. It's just the blatant two-faced arrogance that annoys me.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
So my grandmother passed early this morning. She was at a nursing home battling Dementia and other health problems. We were told earlier this week that she was coughing and feverish, so naturally the suspicion was it might be Coronavirus, but I would imagine if that were the case, the whole place would be infected. That doesn't appear to be the case. She had been getting better too, according to the staff, but must have taken a turn overnight.

I just feel terrible for my mom, as she wasn't able to be by her side, nor can we do much of anything now other than wait until "after Easter" to have some sort of service for her. It's just a cruel, confusing time.

This probably isn't the thread for this, but I wanted to post this here to wish you all well. Cherish your time together with your loved ones once things are back to something resembling normalcy. Stay safe, friends.

Sorry for your loss.

Best wishes to you & your family.

cryptoadam

Banned
The thing with vaccines is it costs a lot to do the R&D, all the required tests/clinical trials, approval process, etc. Companies that make vaccines are a business. They are doing it for profit. You don't make a vaccine for a disease that nobody has, because you lose a lot of money.
With SARS, China didn't report the disease till Feb 2003, and by July WHO had already declared the outbreak contained. Since then there had only been a few sporadic cases, mainly by people working in labs and such, with the last case in 2004. A vaccine would not have been ready in the short amount of time the SARS outbreak went on for, and they aren't going to keep pouring money into it when the disease isn't around any more.
Likewise with MERS, there are only a couple hundred cases a year, and virtually all of them are in the middle east. It doesn't make financial sense for companies to make vaccines for it.

I wouldn't worry about the vaccine being expensive. Economies of scale and all that. Countries would likely foot most of, if not all, the costs anyway because they want their economies to go back to normal.

You are right in that we don't really know what a vaccine for corona will look like. It could be perfect, or it could not work well at all. All I am saying is the lack of vaccines for SARS or MERS shouldn't be a cause of concern.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
They didn't go out much beforehand, so that makes stripping rights so much more justified. Right on. -_-

Lincoln stripped Habaes Corpus rights during the Civil War.

Being told to stay indoors to protect yourselves and others is not even in the same universe as that.

Mind you, if you "muh freedomz" folks want to bitch about being told to stay indoors, I'd support the military being used to detain "muh freedomz" folks who refuse to follow the rules. And there is precedent for that.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Not that lucky. I'm self-employed (though I've been working on an open contract for a while), I should be able to claim some money from the government but it will be a while before that scheme comes into effect (June IIRC) thankfully the bank balance is pretty healthy so I'm not going to become destitute quite yet, but I do know I'm the exception rather than the rule on these matters and I do worry about how others less fortunate are going to fare, the longer this continues.

A lot of people will struggle, no doubt. The government has done a bloody good job with this - my uk guys are testament to that - but sadly there will be gaps so where we can we must help people. The community effort where I am is fantastic and I’m glad I’ve been able to help with supplies (as I can’t do anything more practical due to full isolation for my wife). Those of us who can should.

holygeesus

Banned
He wiped his face right before.

Yeah I know, but on the back of his hand, then taps the area with his fingers. Either way it is sketchy but if it was deliberate, you would have thought he would have made a better job of it, by spitting on his hand or more deliberately wiping the area, rather than tapping.

Maybe I'm being too naive and the guy is just a cunt.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Who does something like that? I mean what’s the point. First of all why that house of all houses, unless he’s doing that to every house? And if you want to truly be a douchebag, then why not go all the way and just steal the fucking mail or smash the packages? It just seems like some a weird random thing to do to a total stranger.

If the homeowners didn’t do anything to him and he’s not some psycho just trying to spread the virus everywhere, then I don’t get the motive to pick one random house.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
People say : don't worry about the food, but they also say it began with bat soup? Makes no sense.
Huh? No one thinks it came from people actually eating bat soup. That’s just a Facebook meme.

No one knows exactly how it started, but it’s possible it may have passed to humans from bats via an intermediary species that doesn’t usually interact with bats due to the presence of both in a wet market. Others in this forum seem to think it came from bat piss/blood splashing people in the face. Either way, not eating.

Last edited:

partime

Huh? No one thinks it came from people actually eating bat soup. That’s just a Facebook meme.

No one knows exactly how it started, but it’s possible it may have passed to humans from bats via an intermediary species that doesn’t usually interact with bats due to the presence of both in a wet market. Others in this forum seem to think it came from bat piss/blood splashing people in the face. Either way, not eating.

It came from the wet food market in Wuhan, no? Thought it was pretty well known even a month ago.

edit - sorry didn’t thoroughly read the message.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
It came from the wet food market in Wuhan, no? Thought it was pretty well known even a month ago.

China says that the first case was in Novemeber some 55 year old dude.

So the wet market story is starting to crumble. It was based on the first case being in December. Now we have this guy in November. No details on who he is but it doesn't seem like he has a connection to this wet market.

holygeesus

Banned
China says that the first case was in Novemeber some 55 year old dude.

So the wet market story is starting to crumble. It was based on the first case being in December. Now we have this guy in November. No details on who he is but it doesn't seem like he has a connection to this wet market.
Probably the guy working in the Wuhan virus research facility.

This is what I was afraid of - this virus is going to get into wildlife in the US and form a reservoir where it can mutate further.

The US has a lot closer contact with wildlife than other western countries - dogs roam free out in rural areas, for example. What happens when a dog kills a groundhog that got this from a squirrel or something, then comes home and plays fetch with its owner?

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
This is what I was afraid of - this virus is going to get into wildlife in the US and form a reservoir where it can mutate further.

The US has a lot closer contact with wildlife than other western countries - dogs roam free out in rural areas, for example. What happens when a dog kills a groundhog that got this from a squirrel or something, then comes home and plays fetch with its owner?
tigers are cats; it’s already known that cats can get infected

Karma Jawa

If it is precautionary a doctor comes to you. If you are in need of hospital equipment you go to them. No country leader would go to hospital at this point unless necessary. It is political suicide.

Ok, well I guess you know more about it than the PM’s own health advisor, who announced he’d gone in for precautionary tests due to symptoms persisting for over 10 days.

tigers are cats; it’s already known that cats can get infected

Dogs can get infected too, which makes me think a broad range of animals could get infected, especially with how many abandoned and feral animals are running around in the US.

An infected pet cat gets in a fight with a feral cat, that feral cat spreads it to rodents, those rodents spread it to everything, then eventually someone else's pet gets it and spreads it back to people with new mutations that may overcome immunity or vaccinations.

I wonder what Schiff's inquiry will say about all this?

Oh, right, "fake news", "Russian propaganda", "did Trump collude with Russia to blame the Chinese". I wouldn't be surprised if Schiff tries to play up the Chinese propaganda about the US military bringing it to China.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Ok so I decided to look into the SARS outbreak a bit. From Wiki

November 2002[edit]
On 16 November 2002, an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) began in China's Guangdong province, bordering Hong Kong. A farmer in the Shunde district of Foshan County was likely the first case of infection. The People's Republic of China notified the World Health Organization (WHO) about this outbreak on 10 February 2003, reporting 305 cases including 105 health-care workers and five deaths.[6] Later it reported that the outbreak in Guangdong had peaked in mid-February 2003. However, this appears to have been false because subsequently 806 cases of infection and 34 deaths were reported.[7]

Early in the epidemic, the Chinese Government discouraged its press from reporting on SARS, delayed reporting to WHO, and initially did not provide information to Chinese outside Guangdong province, where the disease is believed to have originated.[8] Also, a WHO team that travelled to Beijing was not allowed to visit Guangdong province for several weeks.[9] This resulted in international criticism, which seems to have led to a change in Government policy in early April.

January 2003[edit]
The first super-spreader, Zhou Zuofen, a fishmonger, checked in to the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital in Guangzhou on 31 January, where he infected 30 nurses and doctors. The virus soon spread to nearby hospitals.
[10]

These goddamn fuckers did the same shit 18 years ago. I am sure most of dont remeber this, but just change the dates and this is exactly what happend now. Same old lying and covering up and fuckery with the WHO as well. Its almost as if the CCP has a playbook on how to cover up outbreaks.

Another fact that we all memory holed I guess.

In 2004, the World Health Organization determined that an outbreak of the SARS virus had been caused by two separate leaks at the Chinese Institute of Virology in Beijing.

As far as I can tell the above is true? Is this disputed that SARS outbreak was caused by leaks from a chinese lab?

If all of this is true then ya we are the biggest dummies on the planet right now.

This is the exact same shit that happned with SARS almost 20 years ago and we are going to fall for it again and let CCP do the exact same shit in another 20 years. Except like SARS to COVID19, TRUMP20 will be 10 times more deadly.

Ok so I decided to look into the SARS outbreak a bit. From Wiki

November 2002[edit]
On 16 November 2002, an outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) began in China's Guangdong province, bordering Hong Kong. A farmer in the Shunde district of Foshan County was likely the first case of infection. The People's Republic of China notified the World Health Organization (WHO) about this outbreak on 10 February 2003, reporting 305 cases including 105 health-care workers and five deaths.[6] Later it reported that the outbreak in Guangdong had peaked in mid-February 2003. However, this appears to have been false because subsequently 806 cases of infection and 34 deaths were reported.[7]

Early in the epidemic, the Chinese Government discouraged its press from reporting on SARS, delayed reporting to WHO, and initially did not provide information to Chinese outside Guangdong province, where the disease is believed to have originated.[8] Also, a WHO team that travelled to Beijing was not allowed to visit Guangdong province for several weeks.[9] This resulted in international criticism, which seems to have led to a change in Government policy in early April.

January 2003[edit]
The first super-spreader, Zhou Zuofen, a fishmonger, checked in to the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hospital in Guangzhou on 31 January, where he infected 30 nurses and doctors. The virus soon spread to nearby hospitals.
[10]

These goddamn fuckers did the same shit 18 years ago. I am sure most of dont remeber this, but just change the dates and this is exactly what happend now. Same old lying and covering up and fuckery with the WHO as well. Its almost as if the CCP has a playbook on how to cover up outbreaks.

Another fact that we all memory holed I guess.

In 2004, the World Health Organization determined that an outbreak of the SARS virus had been caused by two separate leaks at the Chinese Institute of Virology in Beijing.

As far as I can tell the above is true? Is this disputed that SARS outbreak was caused by leaks from a chinese lab?

If all of this is true then ya we are the biggest dummies on the planet right now.

This is the exact same shit that happned with SARS almost 20 years ago and we are going to fall for it again and let CCP do the exact same shit in another 20 years. Except like SARS to COVID19, TRUMP20 will be 10 times more deadly.

"B-b-b-but this would not have happened if the US had just kept bribing the Chinese with $200,000,000 a year to keep their viral weapons research lab running!"

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Dogs can get infected too, which makes me think a broad range of animals could get infected, especially with how many abandoned and feral animals are running around in the US.

An infected pet cat gets in a fight with a feral cat, that feral cat spreads it to rodents, those rodents spread it to everything, then eventually someone else's pet gets it and spreads it back to people with new mutations that may overcome immunity or vaccinations.

I wonder what Schiff's inquiry will say about all this?

Oh, right, "fake news", "Russian propaganda", "did Trump collude with Russia to blame the Chinese". I wouldn't be surprised if Schiff tries to play up the Chinese propaganda about the US military bringing it to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom