• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nymphae

Banned
Bagged milk is the Canadian equivalent of aircraft carriers with ramps.

Americans just laugh at anything they aren't familiar with. I don't really care one way or the other with the milk to be honest, but I do like that I can fit more in my fridge when I buy it this way.

Karma Jawa

Great after dinner speaker. Not so great when he’s burning £50 notes in front of homeless people to impress his Bullingdon mates.

Even less great when encouraging herd immunity and asking the country to ‘take it on the chin’ (i,e, let thousands of people die unnecessarily) until belatedly caving in to widespread advice from the scientific community.

But as long as he raises a laugh talking about ‘bongo bongo land’ and Muslim women looking like letterboxes I guess that’s all fine, wot wot.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Great after dinner speaker. Not so great when he’s burning £50 notes in front of homeless people to impress his Bullingdon mates.

Even less great when encouraging herd immunity and asking the country to ‘take it on the chin’ (i,e, let thousands of people die unnecessarily) until belatedly caving in to widespread advice from the scientific community.

But as long as he raises a laugh talking about ‘bongo bongo land’ and Muslim women looking like letterboxes I guess that’s all fine, wot wot.

You know he isn’t going to sleep with you, no matter how much you obsess over him.

GamingKaiju

So I wasn’t sure whether to make a thread on this but how would anti-vaxxers react if there was a vaccine released tomorrow for Covid?

Would they go against their beliefs and have the vaccine, now that they’ve witnessed a pandemic in real time or would they still sprout the same shit they have for years 🤔 whilst putting themselves and their families risk.

Glad Boris is getting better we need our captain at the helm, just hope he rests up before taking up his PM duties again.

Last edited:
So I wasn’t sure whether to make a thread on this but how would anti-vaxxers react if there was a vaccine released tomorrow for Covid?

Would they go against their beliefs and have the vaccine, now that they’ve witnessed a pandemic in real time or would they still sprout the same shit they have for years 🤔 whilst putting themselves and their families risk.

Glad Boris is getting better we need our captain at the helm, just hope he rests up before taking up his PM duties again.
Not an anti vaxxer, I would take it but also be a little nervous being on the frontline of a new one. Hopefully 18 months of testing is enough to know to some degree.

GamingKaiju

Some anecdotal news my mum is a retired nurse and a number of her friends still are and are all sadly in hospital after contracting Covid.

Not an anti vaxxer, I would take it but also be a little nervous being on the frontline of a new one. Hopefully 18 months of testing is enough to know to some degree.

As would I.

I guess you have to weigh up the pro/cons of the vaccine or getting Covid and potentially ending up on a ventilator with a 80/20 chance of living where the odds are stacked against you.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
When do you guys think things will go back to normal or how are we going to live with this till we have a vaccine?
How will the world look like in 2 months?

I don't think I'll get a vaccine if one comes out. Unless the US government is lying currently this doesn't seem to kill many people. Seems like it would be riskier to get the vaccine.

Karma Jawa

When do you guys think things will go back to normal or how are we going to live with this till we have a vaccine?
How will the world look like in 2 months?

Very hard to say. Here in the UK there’s been talk of the lockdown lasting at least another couple of months.

The problem is that even if 99% of the country are healthy, a return to normality would still see that 1% with the virus rapidly infect others, and we’re soon back to square one.

Until a vaccine is available I really only see three options:

1) Perpetual lockdown.
2) Business as usual. If they die they die.
3) Staggered returns to normality broken up by periods of lockdown.

*edit* - a huge game changer would be testing that shows who has already had it. Those people would be able to work as normal. Over time society would be rebuilt.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Very hard to say. Here in the UK there’s been talk of the lockdown lasting at least another couple of months.

The problem is that even if 99% of the country are healthy, a return to normality would still see that 1% with the virus rapidly infect others, and we’re soon back to square one.

Until a vaccine is available I really only see three options:

1) Perpetual lockdown.
2) Business as usual. If they die they die.
3) Staggered returns to normality broken up by periods of lockdown.

Explain how society survives with everyone locked down for a year and a half.

cryptoadam

Banned
To add to the above

Significant numbers of patients in the UMCG’s Intensive Care department are overweight

It was recently announced that nine out of ten corona patients in intensive care are overweight. As reported in today’s Dagblad van het Noorden, the UMCG has discovered that adipose tissue plays an important role in the development of the Coronavirus in parients. The findings were also shared on Tuesday evening by Peter van der Voorst, Head of the Intensive Care unit, on the TV programme Jinek.

According to Van der Voort ninety percent of the seriously ill patients have a BMI of over 25. This is likely because the Coronavirus is constructed in such a way that, once in the lungs, it sticks more easily to adipose tissues.

According to the researchers, people with less fat are very unlikely to get so sick that they have be supported by a ventilator in intensive care, but obese people with a BMI score above 25 happen have a bigger chance. “It is the combination of a lot of adipose tissue and Covid-19 that causes direct lung damage,” says Van der Voort.

Reactions: GHG
How is the game industry doing in all this? Any stats?

My guess is after the NEETbux start rolling in, the game industry is going to make serious bank.

GHG

To add to the above

Significant numbers of patients in the UMCG’s Intensive Care department are overweight

It was recently announced that nine out of ten corona patients in intensive care are overweight. As reported in today’s Dagblad van het Noorden, the UMCG has discovered that adipose tissue plays an important role in the development of the Coronavirus in parients. The findings were also shared on Tuesday evening by Peter van der Voorst, Head of the Intensive Care unit, on the TV programme Jinek.

According to Van der Voort ninety percent of the seriously ill patients have a BMI of over 25. This is likely because the Coronavirus is constructed in such a way that, once in the lungs, it sticks more easily to adipose tissues.

According to the researchers, people with less fat are very unlikely to get so sick that they have be supported by a ventilator in intensive care, but obese people with a BMI score above 25 happen have a bigger chance. “It is the combination of a lot of adipose tissue and Covid-19 that causes direct lung damage,” says Van der Voort.

Hopefully this news will cause widescale lifestyle and dietary changes after this is over. Who am I kidding...

The moment all these people are free to roam the streets and jog again they wont jog!

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Hopefully this news will cause widescale lifestyle and dietary changes after this is over. Who am I kidding...

The moment all these people are free to roam the streets and jog again they wont jog!

Yeah let's blame people for getting fat. Not billion dollar industries that have taken over everyone's lives in the media, marketing, super markets and so on. Unless you mean changing that.

Last edited:

GHG

Yeah let's blame people for getting fat. Not billion dollar industries that have taken over everyone's lives in the media, marketing, super markets and so on. Unless you mean changing that.

Yes let's blame everything other than people having self control and the necessary motivation to exercise regularly.

If you had said nutrition and general fitness/wellness education rather than all of those things then I'd be inclined to agree with you because that's sorely lacking. However all of those things are just excuses.

Kazza

Why don't you stop spreading this fake news. Boris never recommended "taking it on the chin". I'm sure this will be wasted on you, but at least other people won't fall for your bullshit:

Philip Schofield: Is the delay essentially trying to spread this out so it doesn’t all happen at once and overwhelm the NHS, and that you can actually delay it into perhaps the summer when it’s a little bit quieter and the ordinary flu might have died down a wee bit, is that what you’re doing?

Boris Johnson: Well it’s a very, very important question, and that’s where a lot of the debate has been and one of the theories is, that perhaps you could take it on the chin, take it all in one go and allow the disease, as it were, to move through the population, without taking as many draconian measures. I think we need to strike a balance, I think it is very important, we’ve got a fantastic NHS, we will give them all the support that they need, we will make sure that they have all preparations, all the kit that they need for us to get through it. But I think it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now to stop the peak of the disease being as difficult for the NHS as it might be, I think there are things that we may be able to do.

By the way, "herd immunity" isn't just something the UK has mentioned, it seems that pretty much every western country has it as part of it's long-term plan for combating the virus (or rather they view it as inevitable after China's failure to stamp out the virus in Wuhan). Sweden is the most gung-ho with this approach at the moment:

I'm sure you wouldn't be against Social Democratic Sweden, would you? Or maybe you're on Trump's side with this:

Both the Netherlands and Germany have also mentioned herd immunity as part of their strategies:

So, will you stop spreading misinformation now Karma Jawa Karma Jawa , or did Jezza being chucked into the dustbin of history really hurt you so much?

Karma Jawa

Why don't you stop spreading this fake news. Boris never recommended "taking it on the chin". I'm sure this will be wasted on you, but at least other people won't fall for your bullshit:

By the way, "herd immunity" isn't just something the UK has mentioned, it seems that pretty much every western country has it as part of it's long-term plan for combating the virus (or rather they view it as inevitable after China's failure to stamp out the virus in Wuhan). Sweden is the most gung-ho with this approach at the moment:

I'm sure you wouldn't be against Social Democratic Sweden, would you? Or maybe you're on Trump's side with this:

Both the Netherlands and Germany have also mentioned herd immunity as part of their strategies:

So, will you stop spreading misinformation now Karma Jawa Karma Jawa , or did Jezza being chucked into the dustbin of history really hurt you so much?

What the hell are you on about you irresponsible fool? You’re part of the problem if you’re pretending this video doesn’t exist.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Good news. Glad he is better.

Would say the same about trudeau though

Did Trudeau test positive and I missed it? I heard his wife got it. Either way, hope both are OK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtibh

Banned
Quick summary of the day.

• Italian PM says "EU could fail" if bailout package isn't handled
  • Russia, Tokyo report record jumps
  • Russian case total passes 10k
  • Over the past 24 hours, the US reported 32,176 new cases
  • US moves to try and stop the IMF from approving Iran's request for a $5 billion bailout
  • Some Americans could see stimulus checks as soon as Thursday
  • Italy reports sudden jump in deaths, cases overnight
  • South Korea warns risk of virus "reactivating" in cured patients
  • Trump approves disaster declarations for Idaho, Alaska
  • Penn., Mo. join growing list of states to cancel school for the rest of the academic year
  • Sweden reports jump in deaths for second day in a row
  • France reports more than 1,300 deaths in a single day
  • Germany weighing plan to financially reward doctors and nurses for work during outbreak
  • NJ deaths near 2k as total cases top 50k
  • NY reports another record jump in deaths
  • 332,000 people have recovered globally so far
  • Number of patients who have recovered from the virus passes 350k
  • India reports 809 new cases, 46 new deaths
  • Dr. Fauci says US deaths might be "closer to 60k"
  • South Africa extends lockdown as State Department prepares to evacuate Americans
  • Oxfam warns outbreak could push 500M ppl into poverty
  • UK-US trade talks suspended indefinitely
  • Boris Johnson released from ICU
  • Merkel opposes coronabonds
  • White House floats dubious rumor about "second" coronavirus task force to focus on the economy
  • 19 Syrians have tested positive as health orgs alarmed by outbreak
  • President Trump says US could reopen in phases "ahead of schedule"
  • Spain has confirmed 153,222 cases of the virus
  • EU pressures Netherlands to drop opposition to bailout plan
  • Support for 'Unity Government' surges in the UK
  • Italian PM says lockdown might start to lift at end of April
  • Spain government celebrates lockdown achievements as opposition suspects cases are undercounted

Here in my area the cases are dropping per day. Today we only had 20 something not sure due to no testing or why but if this continues i can see us going back to normal very soon.
But the only way we would be able to keep it low once we go back is if we still have the borders closed .

In fact i think borders will be closed for the whole year to avoid new break outs from people coming in from infected areas

ManaByte

Gold Member
Interesting thread. Basically saying the flattening of the curve and dip in cases we're seeing now actually would've happened without the lockdowns because of the window between infections and symptoms:

nush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom