• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is some straight up slavery.
I got pulled over from work and the cops were asking me for a pass. I had one but man, I was inches away from getting up and bashing someone's head.
I'm getting the feeling the cops and government are starting to enjoy this a bit too much.
This is fucking slavery and restriction of every individual right. This ain't normal.

Last edited:
I think one major issue with all this ventilator talk, is that people think this is a problem with manufacturing and making enough ventilators. That is certainly an issue, but lets not forget, anyone in a ventilator needs constant medical support, as in, a doctor with them at pretty much at all times, thats the biggest cost, not only we do not have enough medical force to assist people in critical stage, those same doctors need to assist people in severe or mild stages that still require medical assistance. This also increases the chances of spread since most health workers end up getting the virus, doubling up on the problem.

The media makes it seem like its mostly a material issue, getting the money and the ventilators, that is not the case if you dont have doctors to support it. Its irrelevant if Trump buys a million ventilators and doesnt hire/find new doctors.

Jtibh

Banned
Today the US will surpass italy in infected numbers, we will also reach half a million infected, it took less than 2 days to go up 100k.

By the end of this month 1k people will be dying daily in the US and we will have reached over 2M infected.

If the US doesnt quarantine heavily,by the end of April everyone will be infected.

UK number will go up exponentially this next week, tubes are still quite packed, airports are full, it should hit Italys numbers in 2 weeks.

Brazil wont matter, Bolsonaro wont be testing people so we wont know the numbers, but millions will certainly die

Global mortality rate is now 16% going up 1% every 2 days.

Good morning people!
The fuck good morning.
Just woke up and you hit me with this shit!?

Sakura

Perhaps? Are cruise ships representative of population? I would think they trend old. Also, it's my understanding the tests will be negative if you already got better, because they don't test for antibodies unless you get the rarer blood test.

I have no problem agreeing the study might be wrong, but it's out there. I don't trust any single study.
Whether they trend old or not isn't important. We would still be able to say several percent of old people die when they get it. There are millions of people in that age group in the UK. If half of them got it, it would be pretty noticeable. Furthermore, if half of the population already got the illness, the hospitals wouldn't be starting to fill up just now.

Yes tests will be negative if you already got over the illness. But we are talking about a two month period of time, where it would've gone from a few cases to half of the population. Growth would have to be super fast and exponential in order for that to be true, which would mean at some point, a very large portion of the population was sick with the illness at once. Yet at no time were tests (whether they were in SK or the US or Japan or the UK) giving us high numbers of positives, it was always 90%+ negative, and these tests are being done on people who are suspected to might have it.

In any case, the only way we will know what percentage of the population already has it, is when we get an accurate antibody test, and can randomly sample the population.

Raven117

Is it safe to chill on my balcony that is close the streets? I need to breath my fresh air. I see people walking once or twice a day, barely any movement in my block
Yes. Don’t go kicking hand rails and make sure you are 6 feet away from anyone (or more), but yeah, get some fresh air my dude.

llien

On Germany testing => a guy on quarantine here.

I drove my kid to the testing station today.
(she has a classmate with C19, we are on quarantine for about 2 weeks)

We got called and were given some sort of "authorization code".
Only daughter could be tested, we were told.

A bit conservative for a country that tests hordes of people, don't you think?

https://www.24sata.hr/news/stize-korona-zakon-i-place-ce-rezati-bez-pristanka-radnika-683369
My fucking government is really something else. When this shit started, they were saying there's nothing to worry about, nobody will be affected and ones currently working will be protected from employers, basically meaning the government will subsidize your time at home to your employer and you won't get fired. Now the tables have turned.
Now they're passing this corona law, basically stripping the worker of all of it's rights, giving employers the ability to cut your salary to minnimum wage and you have no rights as a worker, basically.
Mother fucking cunts.
I wasn't expecting much from them to begin with but this is really something else. In 30 fucking years only thing they invested in was the tourism. Fuck factories and other sectors, tourism is the way to go.
And now when the tourist season will obviously be a shitty one, they're panicking. This is what you get when incompetent cunts run your state. God damnit.

ManaByte

Gold Member

The need for intensive care beds will get very close to capacity in some areas, but won’t be breached at a national level, said Ferguson. The projections are based on computer simulations of the virus spreading, which take into account the properties of the virus, the reduced transmission between people asked to stay at home and the capacity of hospitals, particularly intensive care units.

eot

Banned
On Germany testing => a guy on quarantine here.

I drove my kid to the testing station today.
(she has a classmate with C19, we are on quarantine for about 2 weeks)

We got called and were given some sort of "authorization code".
Only daughter could be tested, we were told.

A bit conservative for a country that tests hordes of people, don't you think?
500k tests is still less than 1% of the population.
They can test a lot and still not test most people.

rykomatsu

I got pulled over from work and the cops were asking me for a pass. I had one but man, I was inches away from getting up and bashing someone's head.
I'm getting the feeling the cops and government are starting to enjoy this a bit too much.
This is fucking slavery and restriction of every individual right. This ain't normal.

:rolleyes: cry me a river

Stouffers

Banned
I was in New Orleans right after Mardi Gras for a conference. Stayed in a hotel, rode in Ubers, shook a lot of hands. The next week, I had horrible bloat, diarrhea, pink itchy eyes and just felt incredibly off. I wonder if I had it. It’s been almost 3 weeks since the conference so hopefully I’m not still in the incubation period.

lifa-cobex

0ByHJSv.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
Testing is a red herring.

Yes we need to test but people want a simple answer to blame.

We only found out about human to human transmission on Jan 20th. Not sure how in 8 weeks you expect every country in the world to have the capacity to test 10's of millions of people.

Even SK has only done 350K tests, and Germany now 410K and these are 2 countries people hold up for testing.

Yes we need more testing, and we will get there, its increasing across the world. But the virus has moved so fast. Blaming governments because they dont have the labs, doctors, test kits, and man power to test millions of people is a bit short sighted.

In a few months the testing situation will be much better and we will have a lot more data, but we have to ramp up to get there. For now social distance for our exsistance and just pretend everyone has it and take as much precaution as you can.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Despite Hospitals claiming it will?

I think they themselves probarly see the situation close up and can determine which way it is heading.
People who are embroiled in a crisis are often the worst perspectives to consider on a grand scale, actually. The military understands this concept very well which is why they drill obedience into soldiers' heads yet encourage forward-thinking and creativity the further up the chain of command you go.

I'm not saying we should ignore their caution, but unless they have new statistics showing it will head in that direction I'm going to base my opinion on the statistics we have.

Easy there tiger. Settle down. From what you described they pulled you over to make sure you had the required pass stating you could go traipsing about. I'm not sure if you have heard but there is pandemic going on, highly infectious. It has crippled economies and societies world wide, these measures such as checking to make sure only essential people are out and about (the horror!) are in place because the half retarded public wouldn't take this serious.

If the virus was decimating the healthcare system and everyone was allowed to freely gather in groups and concerts and sporting events were still on etc, you seem like the kind of guy who would be bitching that they arent doing enough. Settle down, drop the tough muchacho act and use logical and rational thinking in these situations.

Besides, there will be plenty of time in the future to complain about freedoms and loss of rights when the real shit hits the fan. This situation just sounds like the authorities doing what they need to do.

Last edited:
Easy there tiger. Settle down. From what you described they pulled you over to make sure you had the required pass stating you could go traipsing about. I'm not sure if you have heard but there is pandemic going on, highly infectious. It has crippled economies and societies world wide, these measures such as checking to make sure only essential people are out and about (the horror!) are in place because the half retarded public wouldn't take this serious.

If the virus was decimating the healthcare system and everyone was allowed to freely gather in groups and concerts and sporting events were still on etc, you seem like the kind of guy who would be bitching that they arent doing enough. Settle down, drop the tough muchacho act and use logical and rational thinking in these situations.

Besides, there will be plenty of time in the future to complain about freedoms and loss of rights when the real shit hits the fan. This situation just sounds like the authorities doing what they need to do.
Freedom > virus
We're being enslaved basically, I don't know if you've noticed that too.

Rat Rage

Thats the true virus death rate yes, but it doesnt really matter because there are other factors in play. I cant speak for SK, but lets look at germany.

Germany is one of the richest countries in the world, the richest in Europe, it has one of the best if not the best health systems, and looking at a society stanpoint, they are very very obedient and practical, so the quarantine worked wonders with them and they have medical support, hence their mortality is incredibly low compared to other countries.

Germany has universal healthcare, too. Not only is their health system the best in Europe, but every of their citizen has access to it and is covered, whether you are rich or poor, with or without a job.

That's probably why the death-toll is so low in Germany.

Birdo

Banned
My neighbor is a nurse at my local hospital. She told me that they have a ward full of COVID-19 cases.

Odly, she said that everything about them is kept secret from staff. Including, name, age, and where they are from. Which is odd.

Last edited:
NY update:

NEW: New York State says the number of COVID19 deaths is increasing. Some patients need 20-30 days on a ventilator.

100 new deaths in New York State since yesterday, total now 385, says Governor Cuomo

Last night EMS in New York took 6,406 medical 911 calls, the highest volume ever, surpassing 9/11/01.

6,448 new cases in New York State 3,537 new cases in New York City 1,253 new cases in Westchester County Note: 18,650 tested in past day, roughly 50% more than yesterday

Last edited:
Today the US will surpass italy in infected numbers, we will also reach half a million infected, it took less than 2 days to go up 100k.

By the end of this month 1k people will be dying daily in the US and we will have reached over 2M infected.

If the US doesnt quarantine heavily,by the end of April everyone will be infected.

UK number will go up exponentially this next week, tubes are still quite packed, airports are full, it should hit Italys numbers in 2 weeks.

Brazil wont matter, Bolsonaro wont be testing people so we wont know the numbers, but millions will certainly die

Global mortality rate is now 16% going up 1% every 2 days.

Good morning people!
Hey, at least in São Paulo our governor doesn't give a shit about Bolsonaro and he's keeping the quarantine until April 7th at the least.

betrayal

Banned
the virus didn't do that. governments did that

And if the government wouldn't do it, the virus would eventually do it anyway. People are being infected, some of them or their relatives are dying and suddenly everyone is complaining about the government that is just watching.

No matter how you look at it, there is simply no black or white or perfect solution here. You just have to accept that.

betrayal

Banned
we're less than a thousand cases from surpassing Italy

USA. USA. USA.

The USA will end up with at least 700,000 cases and ~20.000 deaths in the next 2 months. They'll probably break the one million mark. The average age of the dead will be around 75. This is simply due to demographics and population (and countermeasures introduced too late and too poorly).

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
It is "more deaths" or "possibly less harm to the economy" question, which is pretty black and white if you ask me.

I'm not so sure. The economy and the people would suffer more if the government does nothing or too little. People would also be more likely to take it to the streets and be more likely to cause unrest if the government gives the impression that the economy is more important than lives.

llien

The best drug candidates we have at the moment (only one of the two could be used in the near future. (one is completely new and will take quite a while to get approved, even if effective)
Both have been tested to kill the virus in vitro.

I'm not so sure. The economy and the people would suffer more if the government does nothing or too little.
That's a POV I guess.
Economic hardships in a developed world, where nobody would starve to death, but saving lives vs god knows what consequences of embracing the virus, because it could possibly be better for the economy (no guarantee of that at all, for starters, the rest of the world has picked up a different strategy)

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Italy update (Lombardy):

CORONAVIRUS DEATH TOLL IN WORST-AFFECTED ITALIAN REGION LOMBARDY RISES BY MORE THAN 385 IN PAST 24 HOURS TO AROUND 4,860 -SOURCE

Note: Was recently 296, 402, 320, etc.

The death rate don't mean shit.
Of course, the number of deaths rises a few days later than the peak and only starts to fall when the number of active cases starts to decrease, which means when more people are discharged as healed every day than new ones get infected. It is simply not possible otherwise and would be absolutely unnatural and strange.

Last edited:
AND WE JUST HIT 500000

And so we have.

2e1r2pK.png

Confetti, all around!

Coronavirus timeline:
- January 19: 100 cases
- January 24: 1,000 cases
- January 31: 10,000 cases
- February 12: 50,000 cases
- March 6: 100,000 cases
- March 18: 200,000 cases