• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I was able to get some hand sanitizer. It was over 60% alcohol like CDC recommended. As long as you're over 60%, you're good right? I noticed Purell was 70% and the one I got which is a different brand is 63% so I don't know if it will be as effective.

oatmeal

Banned
Wonder if CNN would air that since they aren’t airing his briefings.
A furious Trump takes no questions at today's presser and simply delivers this statement "IF we acted faster millions of Americans would have been saved."

Shocking and impeachable quote from a President who would rather golf than perform his duties.

Cuomo and Cuomo Brotherly Love - are they brothers or is there more? Coming up next!

darkestdame

Banned
Okay?

He clearly WILL need more, and has since clarified it as being needed in several weeks. But the press (and him) had been pushing it for NOW because NYC needs it NOW because people are dying because they can't get a ventilator, and here's some footage from Italy, I mean New York, showing how bad things are.

It's not complicated.
It's not complicated at all, but if the product takes weeks to make I don't understand how him trying to get the thousands he needs was a problem & an attack on Trump

oatmeal

Banned

The trajectory is looking nuts. Is Florida still doing no shelter?

Hmmm...

CASES PER MILLION POPULATION
Italy: 1750
Spain: 2052
Germany: 857
France: 799
Switzerland: 1919
Belgium: 1102
Netherlands: 735
Austria: 1130
Portugal: 730
Israel: 519
Norway: 856
Ireland: 655
Luxembourg: 3479
Iceland: 3326
Andorra: 4866
San Marino: 6955
Faeroe Islands: 3459
Channel Islands: 811
Gilbraltar: 2048
Liechtenstein: 1783
Isle of Man: 706
Monaco: 1325
Vatican City: 7491
Montserrat: 1002

USA: 566

EDIT:
If China wasn't lying, this wouldn't be the case. If India gets hit hard...who knows...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Tucker Carlson is right, the mask thing is straight lying to the public. I mean I get it, but their rationale is so ridiculous. They really said it could actually increase the chances of getting it without proper usage? Lmao what in the fuck are they even talking about that makes no sense.

Kind of makes sense if you see how some people put on a mask and don't even have it cover their nose, etc. If that's giving them a false sense of security and they get closer to people than they would otherwise, then it's increasing the chances of risk. A bit of a stretch, I know, but I assume that's what they're talking about.

jsnake19

Yeah, unfortunately I kind of feel like the mask thing is past the point of being helpful in the near term. We need to make sure our health care workers all get their supplies all built up, and until that point you wont find them in stores anyway so what good does telling everyone to mask up do at this point. It would be nice if they would at least publicly say that masks can be helpful but not necessary so that I at least stop getting stared at when I go out with my full face respirator to get groceries, lol.

decisions

The trajectory is looking nuts. Is Florida still doing no shelter?

The situation in the US is serious, but this graph is extremely misleading. All this shows is that the US has more cases than anyone else. But the US also has a relatively large population. We should be interested in the number of cases per capita (i.e. a percentage) which doesn't rank the US quite so highly in situation severity.

Moreover, the misleading nature of that graph is evidenced by how it points out measures taken in Asian countries to combat the virus on the right-hand side, but doesn't have anything to say about how China, a country which implemented those same measures that it points out as positive (exs. mask wearing, hard quarantine, etc.), is near the top of the graph. The reason China is near the top is because they also have a large population, which is a huge factor in putting a country at the top of that graph.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The situation in the US is serious, but this graph is extremely misleading. All this shows is that the US has more cases than anyone else. But the US also has a relatively large population. We should be interested in the number of cases per capita (i.e. a percentage) which doesn't rank the US quite so highly in situation severity.

Moreover, the misleading nature of that graph is evidenced by how it points out measures taken in Asian countries to combat the virus on the right-hand side, but doesn't have anything to say about how China, a country which implemented those same measures that it points out as positive (exs. mask wearing, hard quarantine, etc.), is near the top of the graph. The reason China is near the top is because they also have a large population, which is a huge factor in putting a country at the top of that graph.

Shut up, dude. They've got a narrative to push. America bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Spanish field hospital:

NINTCHDBPICT000572468453.jpg

“The truth is that it’s impressive,” tweeted Fernando Valls, a local doctor.

Los Angeles LACC field hospital

6a6059d8-e3cd-4053-b0f2-a805fc316cd6-large16x9_1000.jpeg

Mayor Garcetti says the Los Angeles Convention Center may also help ease the strain on hospitals.
"We're starting with medical, supplies and cots so we can relieve some of the pressure on nearby hospitals," he said.

London Nightingale field hospital

PRI_148071888-1.jpg

Col Boreham, who is the project’s senior military lead, supporting the advisory mentoring team, said: ‘I arrived on site and met with the NHS last Saturday. ‘We literally sat down with a piece of paper and some drawings and came up with a concept that the NHS and us thought would work well. ‘From that point there, we have re-purposed this wonderful building into an NHS hospital.’

Last edited:
Don't worry. Kenneth Copeland is HARD on the case in the battle against COVID-19 with extreme ferocity and spittin lines of fire. He all like, "Don't worry my niggas. I got yo back. Watch me swoosh it 3 times from down town. Y'all gonna be sittin there sayin, "He's on fire!""

Err, or something to that effect.

Tesseract

Banned
YOU DUMB FUCKS

GO HOME

GODDAMNIT

for what it's worth, there's a great deal of distancing going on

it's especially irresponsible considering our elderly population, but there's some running theories about herd immunity that're being discussed at various levels

Last edited:
for what it's worth, there's a great deal of distancing going on

it's especially irresponsible considering our elderly population, but there's some running theories about herd immunity that're being discussed at various levels
We've seen in Europe that it doesn't really work. Good luck with that.

Joe T.

At the end of the day, it is the people would suffer, I could vision this polarization would not happen if a more mild left/right person being the president. Republican/Democrat voters will stay in their respective echo chamber, reading their respective biased media, and blame others for this mess.

I wouldn't be so cynical about it, Trump's relationship with politicians across the aisle has been productive during this mess despite the minor squabbles the media amplifies to sound like major issues. Even if you happen to hold a terribly low opinion of the man, Trump's success is tied to the country's success so with an election later this year he has all the motivation in the world to do the best possible job he can right now and that requires helping Democrats he would otherwise be trashing.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Don't worry. Kenneth Copeland is HARD on the case in the battle against COVID-19 with extreme ferocity and spittin lines of fire. He all like, "Don't worry my niggas. I got yo back. Watch me swoosh it 3 times from down town. Y'all gonna be sittin there sayin, "He's on fire!""

Err, or something to that effect.

dunno whether to laugh or bang my head against the wall from the sheer cringe

Jonsoncao

Banned
so, i can only tell you what i'm seeing in florida

people are out and about, the young especially are at parks and beaches, libraries, so on

plenty of people in grocery stores, roads filling back up as more essentials return to work

Social distancing is inefficient in confined space like library. One Corona sneeze will rule them all.

Floridians are not respecting exponential curve enough. To put this into perspective, Italy had pretty much in control back in mid-Feb, located (almost) every case imported from China (<50). Several weeks with no new cases, suddenly, the number jumps to 10k only days after 2 people were confirmed in Lombardy.

If you see one roach...

Banned
so, i can only tell you what i'm seeing in florida

people are out and about, the young especially are at parks and beaches, libraries, so on

plenty of people in grocery stores, roads filling back up as more essentials return to work

Also Florida. It’s really odd how every county has their own rules.

our beaches and libraries are closed. Parks are open and they’re flooded. Beach closed? Fire up the boats.

Roads are definitely not as busy around

social distance? Seeing people BS at the gas stations, grocery stores, etc within a foot or so. Nobody is wearing masks except for the random old Asian person.

Imagine if Hillary had won and was president now.

FEMA 'Fun' camps for her enemies. for gun owners who refused to give up their arms. And many other groups.

She'd take her orders directly from the Chinese Communist Party. She'd make Barry (Obama) look like a saint.

As imperfect as he is, I'm glad we have Trump and not that raging bitch from hell.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Death Statistics out of New York have been released. It seems to mirror other countries. Though anybody with an underlying condition is at risk.

EUZwSj5XkAA4QnM

Wow, the "No Underlying Conditions" group is tiny. I had been seeing so many articles about people without known underlying conditions dying that I was starting to think it was much higher than initially reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom