• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
there was this one video on youtube where a nurse was saying that people were dying in the hospitals due to negligence and not the virus.
I’m not sure that’s fair. If it’s the video I’m thinking of, that nurse was... let’s just say she didn’t represent herself well. Maybe you watched something else though.

People who don’t work in hospitals might not understand, but these patients are very difficult to take care of. Really this is true of all very ill ICU patients. Not just any medical personnel can stroll into an ICU and start managing their ventilators and medications. The amount of work that goes into “proning” a patient on a ventilator alone is extensive. Not to mention all the aspects of care for these people.

When some of these hospitals filled up, staff get pulled from other areas because there just aren’t enough nurses normally staffed in an ICU to care for 2 or 3 times the patients. Hell there aren’t even enough rooms. Hospitals basically take other areas, like ORs, and turn them into makeshift ICU beds. They were trying to train normal floor nurses for an ICU with videos and shadowing in a few weeks when they would normally have them precept for 3-6 months.

The fact is, people probably died that didn’t necessarily need to because the level of care fell. And that’s not the staffs fault. That’s just the sad reality.

Last edited:
it absolutely is in many cases, the lungs basically give up and get rekt
I think the going theory is the air pressure needed to mechanically ventilate someone increases inflammation and maybe effects blood flow through the lungs. But I’m not sure there is a clear understanding of it yet. Where I work, we haven’t seen at 9/10 mortality rate on ventilators. It’s more like 4 or 5 in 10. But where I work has not been very hard hit and we’ve been able to take very good care of these people.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Precisely what would they have to do to be on the worst tier? Is it not enough that they have concentration camps for Muslims, enslave Africa, destroy democracy in Homg Kong, keep Taiwan off the WHO, engage in systematic corruption at all levels, own the UN, deny their people basic freedoms and censor everything, ‘persuade Western filmmakers to kowtow to them, hack into any god damn server you put on the internet, engage in slavery to get us our cheap phones but destroying jobs in the west, etc. Is that not enough?
Shariah law, invading other countries, opposing science, stripping women of all rights, enforcing the belief in a religion (yes, I think forbidding a religion is still better than enforcing one), supporting terrorism in other countries.

Regarding Africa: to my best knowledge China does not literally enslave Africa but does the same the west has done in many years: Exploit Africa.

Kacho

Gold Member

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Look Fat, our fats are the fattiest. No one can dispute that our fats are The Duke of New York A # 1.

New York's obesity rate pales in comparison to much of the country.
I’m not sure that’s fair. If it’s the video I’m thinking of, that nurse was... let’s just say she didn’t represent herself well. Maybe you watched something else though.

People who don’t work in hospitals might not understand, but these patients are very difficult to take care of. Really this is true of all very ill ICU patients. Not just any medical personnel can stroll into an ICU and start managing their ventilators and medications. The amount of work that goes into “proning” a patient on a ventilator alone is extensive. Not to mention all the aspects of care for these people.

When some of these hospitals filled up, staff get pulled from other areas because there just aren’t enough nurses normally staffed in an ICU to care for 2 or 3 times the patients. Hell there aren’t even enough rooms. Hospitals basically take other areas, like ORs, and turn them into makeshift ICU beds. They were trying to train normal floor nurses for an ICU with videos and shadowing in a few weeks when they would normally have them precept for 3-6 months.

The fact is, people probably died that didn’t necessarily need to because the level of care fell. And that’s not the staffs fault. That’s just the sad reality.
A great post.
They didn't realize it, but those posters were making 2 very strong arguments.
1. This country was woefully unprepared for what was coming.
2. Flattening the curve with lockdowns was absolutely vital in areas with many cases.

We'll probably learn a lot about the best treatment protocols over the Summer, and that'll hopefully allow us to save more lives in the 2nd wave.

cryptoadam

Banned

What an Ahole, didn't he get the memo he needed MOAR deaths and should of made sure that he infected the old age homes and killed em off.

Well at least we have the lame stream media to make up some lies so they can continue to fearmonger. They can just add a few 0's to FL's death total and then the data will line up with their narrative.

Reactions: LMJ
New York's obesity rate pales in comparison to much of the country.

A great post.
They didn't realize it, but those posters were making 2 very strong arguments.
1. This country was woefully unprepared for what was coming.
2. Flattening the curve with lockdowns was absolutely vital in areas with many cases.

We'll probably learn a lot about the best treatment protocols over the Summer, and that'll hopefully allow us to save more lives in the 2nd wave.
Eh yes and no. Flattening the curve yes. Although honestly that only really was an issue in New York, New Jersey, and a couple of other isolated places.

As for being prepared, the honest truth is it’s impossible to be prepared for what they faced. If you think healthcare is expensive now, try paying for 200% capacity ICU capability in hospitals that won’t ever be used except once in a generation or so. Honestly if New York, PA, and Jersey just did a better job with nursing homes, the US looks a lot like Germany in per capita fatalities. Those 3 governors really blew it.

All Hail C-Webb

Eh yes and no. Flattening the curve yes. Although honestly that only really was an issue in New York, New Jersey, and a couple of other isolated places.

As for being prepared, the honest truth is it’s impossible to be prepared for what they faced. If you think healthcare is expensive now, try paying for 200% capacity ICU capability in hospitals that won’t ever be used except once in a generation or so. Honestly if New York, PA, and Jersey just did a better job with nursing homes, the US looks a lot like Germany in per capita fatalities. Those 3 governors really blew it.

Yes, New York, NJ and other hard hit areas needed to lock down, and it was a great move by their local leaders, when the Federal government sat on its fat, bloated, shit soaked ass.
Other areas didn't need to lock down so quick, but because there was no leadership at the federal level, they had to take the safest option while they figured things out for themselves.

When I say prepared, I'm obviously not talking about having hospital capacity for a pandemic. I'm talking about having federal leadership that wasn't telling states not to worry, it'll be gone soon. Having federal leadership that prevented a foreign invader from entering our country and gaining a foothold over a period of months because they had no testing.

You know, the normal things that are expected of the Federal Government, the national defense, the shit that we pay taxes for.

Mihos

Gold Member
Yes, New York, NJ and other hard hit areas needed to lock down, and it was a great move by their local leaders, when the Federal government sat on its fat, bloated, shit soaked ass.
Other areas didn't need to lock down so quick, but because there was no leadership at the federal level, they had to take the safest option while they figured things out for themselves.

When I say prepared, I'm obviously not talking about having hospital capacity for a pandemic. I'm talking about having federal leadership that wasn't telling states not to worry, it'll be gone soon. Having federal leadership that prevented a foreign invader from entering our country and gaining a foothold over a period of months because they had no testing.

You know, the normal things that are expected of the Federal Government, the national defense, the shit that we pay taxes for.

Federal has no authority to lock down a state. The only thing they can do is limit travel between states, in which New York lost its shit when it was mentioned.

ManaByte

Gold Member

St. Vincent Medical Center in Westlake closed it doors in January. The city then paid $15 million to reopen their doors so they could take in COVID-19 patients.

A month later, only 65 patients made their way in.

The hospital was meant to provide the state with 55,000 additional beds. They only needed to use 65.

JordanN

Banned
America's future summed up.

ZRndUoB.jpg

So no. Federalism states that individual states are the responsible for those kinds of things. The federal government cannot, for example, tell New York to stay at home but Idaho to remain open. So the people you’re really upset with are the governors I mentioned.

New York, PA, and New Jersey governors mandated the return of positive COVID patients to long term care facilities and got massive numbers of people killed. That’s not on the Feds.

cryptoadam

Banned
So no. Federalism states that individual states are the responsible for those kinds of things. The federal government cannot, for example, tell New York to stay at home but Idaho to remain open. So the people you’re really upset with are the governors I mentioned.

New York, PA, and New Jersey governors mandated the return of positive COVID patients to long term care facilities and got massive numbers of people killed. That’s not on the Feds.

Gotta wonder why red states didn't get hit as bad as blue states. Could it be you had governors who all have TDS and basically fired Trump a month before. So they don't listen to him. While red state guys work with and listen to Trump. Also Blue states tend to do the opposite of what Trump says no matter what. If he says breath they will all hold their breaths. If Trump would of said lockdown on Feb 1st, Blue states would of called it racist and an abuse of power.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Gotta wonder why red states didn't get hit as bad as blue states. Could it be you had governors who all have TDS and basically fired Trump a month before? So they don't listen to him. While red state guys work with and listen to Trump. Also, Blue states tend to do the opposite of what Trump says no matter what. If he says breath they will all hold their breaths. If Trump would have said lockdown on Feb 1st, Blue states would have called it racist and abuse of power.
The doomers will say the numbers were deflated.

All Hail C-Webb

You and that other dude are responding to things I never said. It's a bold strategy cotton.

The states were supposed to identify a foreign disease, prevent its introduction to the country, and create testing? Not in America my friend.
I'm not upset with any Governers. I don't blame middle management for problems I should have taken care of myself.
The federal government should have prepared the country, provided guidance, leadership, testing, supplies and manpower. They got a few of those things, but most were too late, and we're still waiting on leadership.

Cuomo fucked up on retirement homes, and he took too long to lock down, and I've blasted him for it. That doesn't absolve anyone else of their fuck-ups though.
There still should have been national guidance on how to protect the elderly, and deal with retirement homes. I think they finally released that info this week. 😂

Gotta wonder why red states didn't get hit as bad as blue states. Could it be you had governors who all have TDS and basically fired Trump a month before. So they don't listen to him. While red state guys work with and listen to Trump. Also Blue states tend to do the opposite of what Trump says no matter what. If he says breath they will all hold their breaths. If Trump would of said lockdown on Feb 1st, Blue states would of called it racist and an abuse of power.

The virus is over? We won?

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

There are videos of people just falling over suddenly in the street and people in hazmat suits running up to collect them. I saw them on Metokur's stream.

That is not a respiratory virus I've ever heard of.

That's because it's brand new.... :)

It actually goes hand in hand with the progression of the virus, and fits in perfectly with the confusion over ventilators.

People are walking into hospitals with what seem like mild symptoms and their oxygen levels are in the 60s. We didn't think that was possible before, but eventually those people would have just dropped too.

I have trouble getting around the fact that people think China grew/manipulated this shit, but also, it just effects old people, is nothing to worry about.

If those conspiracy theories are true, wouldn't they have designed the virus to appear tame, but fuck us in the long run?

Last edited:
You and that other dude are responding to things I never said. It's a bold strategy cotton.

The states were supposed to identify a foreign disease, prevent its introduction to the country, and create testing? Not in America my friend.
I'm not upset with any Governers. I don't blame middle management for problems I should have taken care of myself.
The federal government should have prepared the country, provided guidance, leadership, testing, supplies and manpower. They got a few of those things, but most were too late, and we're still waiting on leadership.

Cuomo fucked up on retirement homes, and he took too long to lock down, and I've blasted him for it. That doesn't absolve anyone else of their fuck-ups though.
There still should have been national guidance on how to protect the elderly, and deal with retirement homes. I think they finally released that info this week. 😂

The virus is over? We won?
Dude you need to read what you wrote again because you contradicted yourself.

You said “I’m not upset with any Governors”.
About 3 sentences later it’s “Cuomo fucked up on the retirement homes and I’ve blasted him for it”.

Try to square that circle for me. The rest of the post is all right I guess, although I don’t think calling the governors of states middle management is very accurate. Do you understand how the federalist system works?

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Its not over, still plenty of work to do. And there are states that did alot better than other states.

Same up here. I don't blame Trudeau for Plante and Legaults failures.

If it's not over, isn't it too soon to say which areas did better than others?
If it does like 1918 and comes back stronger, the hardest hit areas now will end up being the best off.
We all going to want to move to Brownsville in that scenario. 🤔

All Hail C-Webb

Dude you need to read what you wrote again because you contradicted yourself.

You said “I’m not upset with any Governors”.
About 3 sentences later it’s “Cuomo fucked up on the retirement homes and I’ve blasted him for it”.

Try to square that circle for me. The rest of the post is all right I guess, although I don’t think calling the governors of states middle management is very accurate. Do you understand how the federalist system works?

It's a good point. I've been on a posting spree and standards suffered.
I was mad at Cuomo when he wasn't locking down. I knew we (NYC) had way more cases, I'm trying to protect my family, and he's saying carry on as normal. That was in the moment though, not something I'll hold against him. He didn't do great, but he didn't have the required tools/information at his disposal.

II understand that thd Federalist system leaves national defense in the hands of the Federal government. It leaves research and preparation for global health emergencies at the federal level.
The lockdown decisions should have always been up to local leaders, but the feds should have provided guidance, and the tools required to make more informed decisions.

Blaming Cuomo (not saying you did, but others have) for the spread of the virus is like if Hitler tried to blame the mayor of Normandy for the fall of the reich.

It's a good point. I've been on a posting spree and standards suffered.
I was mad at Cuomo when he wasn't locking down. I knew we (NYC) had way more cases, I'm trying to protect my family, and he's saying carry on as normal. That was in the moment though, not something I'll hold against him. He didn't do great, but he didn't have the required tools/information at his disposal.

II understand that thd Federalist system leaves national defense in the hands of the Federal government. It leaves research and preparation for global health emergencies at the federal level.
The lockdown decisions should have always been up to local leaders, but the feds should have provided guidance, and the tools required to make more informed decisions.

Blaming Cuomo (not saying you did, but others have) for the spread of the virus is like if Hitler tried to blame the mayor of Normandy for the fall of the reich.
There’s plenty of blame to go around. But I don’t think the United States did so bad honestly. Well outside of New York and New Jersey. I truly think many places overreacted, understandably. My opinion is Florida seems to have been the example. Similar population to New York with 1/14 the death toll.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Mayor Yoga Pants has his own Schutzstaffel, he's just calling them "Business Ambassadors":

To enforce the shutdowns, the mayor announced a program to send city workers and volunteers, dubbed “business ambassadors,” to check on defiant businesses and urge them to close down voluntarily. If they don’t, the ambassadors will report the situation to prosecutors and police, according to the mayor’s website, which also provided a link for the general public to report noncompliance.

Businesses that ignore warnings from authorities could then have their utilities cut off, the Los Angeles Times reported.

cryptoadam

Banned
If it's not over, isn't it too soon to say which areas did better than others?
If it does like 1918 and comes back stronger, the hardest hit areas now will end up being the best off.
We all going to want to move to Brownsville in that scenario. 🤔

We can only judge on what we have. All though past behavior etc....

9 of the top 10 states are all Dem controlled states and those 9 account for 69 K deaths. Those guys most of done something wrong so far.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Went to the dentist to get my tooth Xrayed today. It was in a ton of pain last month. I got some antibiotics to help it. They didn’t find anything wrong. He said the filling I recently had may have pissed off the nerve for awhile or I may have had a sinus issue.

He did say they weren’t technically open yet but were starting to file a few things as emergency so they could start seeing small amounts of people. He said even when the lockdown expires next month (if not extended) there are so many restrictions in the next phase it makes it really hard to work. He was pissed off they haven’t been able to see people for things like cancer screenings for months now. He thinks all the missed screenings and medical procedures over the past few months not just in dentistry are going to cause a lot health issues.

Last edited:
Went to the dentist to get my tooth Xrayed today. It was in a ton of pain last month. I got some antibiotics to help it. They didn’t find anything wrong. He said the filling I recently had may have pissed off the nerve for awhile or I may have had a sinus issue.

He did say they weren’t technically open yet but we’re starting to file a few things as emergency so they could start seeing small amounts of people. He said even when the lockdown expires next month (if not extended) there are so many restrictions in the next phase it makes it really hard to work. He was pissed off they haven’t been able to see people for things like cancer screenings for months now. He thinks all the missed screenings and medical procedures over the past few months not just in dentistry are going to cause a lot health issues.
He’s 100% right. There is no doubt we have missed 10s of thousands of cancer screenings alone. Now their is a massive backlog of patients. Whether the lockdowns actually saved more people or in fact hurt them in many places is an open question.

diffusionx

Gold Member
He’s 100% right. There is no doubt we have missed 10s of thousands of cancer screenings alone. Now their is a massive backlog of patients. Whether the lockdowns actually saved more people or in fact hurt them in many places is an open question.

I don't even think it is a question anymore.

prag16

Banned
We can only judge on what we have. All though past behavior etc....

9 of the top 10 states are all Dem controlled states and those 9 account for 69 K deaths. Those guys most of done something wrong so far.
It's the same shit in Connecticut. COVID patients being sent into nursing homes hasn't made news here like it has in NY, but I've heard multiple anecdotal accounts of this happening. On a per capita basis, CT is doing worse than any other state aside from NY and NJ. And as a percentage of total deaths, it's hard to find reliable numbers, but I believe we're even higher than NY in terms of share of deaths which occurred in nursing homes. Last I heard it was close to 60%. In my town at one point a few weeks ago (I don't know where that stands now) there were 60 total confirmed cases, with over 40 of those being in the two major nursing homes in town.

Our knucklehead governor went back on reopening salons/barbershops only two days before it was scheduled to happen. He also just disbanded his own reopening committee and is instead paying $2mm in taxpayer funds to some Boston consulting firm for this. Because I'm sure they have tons of experience reopening economies after blanket lockdown of healthy populations.

Even so, current hospitalization levels for COVID are less than half of what they were in CT vs. four weeks ago. This shit is not worthy of this level of mass hysteria and never was. My son's baseball camp this summer will be open, but they're making the kids wear masks while on the field. Fuck off! I can only imagine how fucking stupid the stipulations for schools reopening in the fall are going to be.

Actually I don't have to imagine. Just came across this. This is absolutely batshit insane. How can anybody think most of this (okay, just about all of it) is remotely realistic?

99122809_10158352647924860_3688507176386560000_n.jpg

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...5_aaqMt10E3mnsR0aIFOaOekQjSlkeX0hz5JYkl-a0fIY

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It really is quite fucking insane how Florida's relative success in this has been downplayed, ignored, and twisted by most of the mainstream media while they all talk about Cuomo in a positive a light.

It's the same shit in Connecticut. COVID patients being sent into nursing homes hasn't made news here like it has in NY, but I've heard multiple anecdotal accounts of this happening. On a per capita basis, CT is doing worse than any other state aside from NY and NJ. And as a percentage of total deaths, it's hard to find reliable numbers, but I believe we're even higher than NY in terms of share of deaths which occurred in nursing homes. Last I heard it was close to 60%. In my town at one point a few weeks ago (I don't know where that stands now) there were 60 total confirmed cases, with over 40 of those being in the two major nursing homes in town.

Our knucklehead governor went back on reopening salons/barbershops only two days before it was scheduled to happen. He also just disbanded his own reopening committee and is instead paying $2mm in taxpayer funds to some Boston consulting firm for this. Because I'm sure they have tons of experience reopening economies after blanket lockdown of healthy populations.

Even so, current hospitalization levels for COVID are less than half of what they were in CT vs. four weeks ago. This shit is not worthy of this level of mass hysteria and never was. My son's baseball camp this summer will be open, but they're making the kids wear masks while on the field. Fuck off! I can only imagine how fucking stupid the stipulations for schools reopening in the fall are going to be.

Actually I don't have to imagine. Just came across this. This is absolutely batshit insane. How can anybody think most of this (okay, just about all of it) is remotely realistic?

Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...5_aaqMt10E3mnsR0aIFOaOekQjSlkeX0hz5JYkl-a0fIY

This is a bunch of fucking bullshit. How insane do you have to be to even write that nonsense up?

That's no longer school.

Last edited by a moderator:

prag16

Banned
This is a bunch of fucking bullshit. How insane do you have to be to even write that nonsense up?

That's no longer school.

To be fair I think it's more "current" guidelines for anybody with the balls to reopen schools NOW. Not necessarily what they expect for the fall. But still. It's fucking lunacy to even consider anything like that (but, we have seen what's going on in some other countries, so...).

If it comes to that, I think they'd more likely just kick off the fall with more 'distance learning' instead of deal with all that absurd crap. Which would still be bullshit. There's absolutely zero reason why schools shouldn't be open NOW just about everywhere in the U.S. Probably everywhere without exception, even NYC. A few common sense tweaks, but 98% business as usual. And if you think otherwise, I'm sorry, you are a spineless sheep who has fallen victim to irrational mass hysteria.

My son's baseball camp sent out an email today that they will be running camp in July as scheduled, but kids will be required to wear masks THE ENTIRE TIME and parents can't get out of their cars for dropoff/pickup, or stand near the field to watch, etc. The latter, eh, dumb, but whatever. But the masks, hell no. Masks for the kids for 6 hours out in hot/humid weather during physical activity? Have they lost their goddamn minds?

Last edited:

Arkam

I am excited to be going to get a haircut tomorrow (Phase 2 in Texas baby!) I am sure it will be awkward (as often happens when two ninjas meet)

Joe T.

Britain could experience a transport revolution sparked by the coronavirus pandemic with up to 14 million people ready to swap cars for bikes, British Cycling believes.
However, the opportunity could be lost if towns and cities fail to follow Department for Transport guidance to provide new emergency infrastructure such as pop-up cycle lanes.

Despite a loosening of the lockdown measures designed to stop the spread of the coronavirus, travelling on buses and trains is still discouraged because of social distancing concerns.

Boardman says Britain may never have a better chance to change the way it moves.

"Bike riding and walking have just proved how robust they are in any kind of crisis," he told Reuters.

The climate change extremists are out in force.

Educators can be evil. This is an evil list.

jadedm17

Desantis talking

Oh F this guy on every level, how can you listen to his nonsense? As someone from Florida who knows many dealing with unemployment issues, this man is all lies and back talk. Ive watched his talks and even into May hed brag about the like 40% getting paid while blaming the previous guy for why unemployment didnt work. (So it was known and ignored? Much better. Thanks.)

He still blames people not getting paid its their fault even though they can get zero information on why its their fault.

Also im still salty he spent April days behind everyone else, especially the several days places were 50% capacity before shutting down. At least a few times id go "Wow we really should do X now" and it was another 2 to 5 days before he made the call.

He may be right but all i see from him anymore is vomit.

Last edited:
The real bullshit is that the traditional flu is actually much more dangerous for children and especially young children. The flu kills a larger number of children than most people are aware and COVID kills barely any at all. Several European countries have never closed their schools. So much for “science” I guess.

And please spare us all the news articles about multi system inflammatory syndrome. Those articles are anecdotes at best right now and even if they are confirmed we’re still taking about statistically insignificant numbers.

-Minsc-

A friendly reminder from this fellow who caught COVID-19.

It's really a hard calculation to make. Do we look at the total amount of deaths vs lives saved over the span of a month, season, year or decade? Beaurocracy can be a pain but I see its necessity to keep total anarchy from making things way worse then it is. Though, this is easy for me to say as a fellow living in an area with a lower infection rate and no deaths.

Opening up services like cancer screenings seems feasible to me.

One thing I see the need to be re-opened, in a safer manner, is training for essential services. I'll use nursing as an example. COVID-19 could directly infect the staff or knock them out due to fatigue and mental stresses. Depending how far shortages progress, new workers will not have the luxury of going in reasonably trained.

Edit:

x0C4GM1.png

Gaming stadium filling techniques coming to the real clown world
Video Game development: It's not laziness or being cheap, it's realism!

Last edited:
This should help some people assess their personal risk more appropriately. We should be trying to protect the vulnerable. 20,000 deaths for all people under 65. How many of those people has significant preexisting complications? Probably upwards of 75%.

Just keep things in perspective. If you are under 50 and healthy, you should take reasonable precautions to protect yourself and people you care about. But you shouldn’t be walking around fearing for your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom