• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yea American politics has been a joke for awhile now. Definitely not my most informative subject but something Definitely happened after Clinton.

I'm sure there's alot of current day political scholars that could explain it but the thing thst jumps out to me is the internet.

It gave more of a voice to the politicians and the people, and as we all know from gaming , giving the populace the technology doesn't necessarily mean they're going to use it for good lol.

The internet accelerated the issue among the public but I think it was already there among politicians. The internet gives them a place to grandstand though certainly and completely destroyed the minds of the media - hanging out on Twitter drove them insane and now we have no worthwhile press oversight of politicians.

prag16

Banned
How are asymptomatic people spreading it? Didn't the CDC drastically revise the data for how long it stays on various surfaces, basically saying, it doesn't? And if I'm asymptomatic, this would mean no cough droplets right?

So which is it? And how do asymptomatic people spread it?
Bingo. If the asymptomatic people aren't coughing and sneezing (or shouting or singing loudly within a few feet of somebody else), how are they spreading it?

If they say it spreads through breathing, then guess what, those masks aren't doing jack shit. The mask doesn't form a seal; air is escaping all around it. And breathing is tossing airborne water droplets across a room in any case.

I'm not denying that masks have SOME impact in all likelihood, but on the whole my money is on them having such a limited impact that mandating them is very extreme. It is also my contention that these "asymtomatic spread proof" studies are highly suspect, at least the ones I've seen, because they all rely on people accurately reporting whether they were symptomatic or not. If even a portion of people involved lie about this (doesn't have to be all of them or even a majority whatsoever) it will massively skew the results.

I remember reading about a "super spreader" at a CT house party in early March which led to over a dozen cases. If this super spreader was popping cough drops and had taken Tylenol, then didn't want to admit symptoms were being suppressed, well, that's already game over.

funcojoe

well if we take into account let's say my 15 year old step son. Hes got adhd and is just honest to god the most ridiculously dumb person I've ever met. Sorry but he is lol.

I could see him being asymptomatic and going to a friends house and easily getting everyone in thst household infected. Mind you though hes screaming, wrestling, laughing, singing , spit droplets everywhere.

Obviously that's an extreme case, but it makes me wonder about school in the fall.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Bingo. If the asymptomatic people aren't coughing and sneezing (or shouting or singing loudly within a few feet of somebody else), how are they spreading it?

If they say it spreads through breathing, then guess what, those masks aren't doing jack shit. The mask doesn't form a seal; air is escaping all around it. And breathing is tossing airborne water droplets across a room in any case.

I'm not denying that masks have SOME impact in all likelihood, but on the whole my money is on them having such a limited impact that mandating them is very extreme. It is also my contention that these "asymtomatic spread proof" studies are highly suspect, at least the ones I've seen, because they all rely on people accurately reporting whether they were symptomatic or not. If even a portion of people involved lie about this (doesn't have to be all of them or even a majority whatsoever) it will massively skew the results.

I remember reading about a "super spreader" at a CT house party in early March which led to over a dozen cases. If this super spreader was popping cough drops and had taken Tylenol, then didn't want to admit symptoms were being suppressed, well, that's already game over.

I think the studies I saw a while back indicated that heavy cloth masks would give about 60-80% protection, which isn't bad. Don't forget, droplets are quite big, and for the most part a mask's escape areas are up to your eyes though the top of the mask and down through the bottom to your chest. The sides tend to be tighter because of how they're tied. For the most part, what comes out of your mouth is going to go straight out - sure some may go out the other ways but not much.

Now as to whether it's worth it.. to keep the R rate low you can either get everyone to stay home and close all businesses, or you can get people to wear masks. I'd say the latter is a far lesser infringement on civil liberties (especially if you can fuck with facial recognition) and far better for saving people's lives by not condemning them to poverty.

The thing about politics is that there's never a perfect choice available, and too many people today act as if there is. It's always a choice between shit and shit, just with different quantities of shit landing on different groups of people. Often you don't even have enough information to decide but a decision must be made. I don't envy politicians.

Nymphae

Banned
I could see him being asymptomatic and going to a friends house and easily getting everyone in thst household infected. Mind you though hes screaming, wrestling, laughing, singing , spit droplets everywhere.

Just seems like if this is what's required for an asymptomatic person to spread it, we probably would have been ok with just enforcing reasonable social distancing rules and keeping things open, not continuing lockdowns and encouraging full scale mask use. Keep the symptomatic safe and quarantined, the rest just wash up and don't act like a rambunctious child around others lol. If school is an unavoidable petrie dish have those kids do extra washup and maybe masks, but where we're at with this discourse on masks and lockdowns is crazy I think.

Siri

Banned
I’m experiencing the same ‘family issues’ as some of you guys. When my sister visits my mom she stands right in front of her face talking loudly at her. She and her husband (who’s still working in an office) even came into the house last week and just stood there for half an hour, babbling at my mom about nothing.

I’ve told my mom, over and over, that because of her age it’s highly likely she’ll die if she gets Covid19. She doesn’t seem able to grasp this. My sister, meanwhile, keeps saying she knows someone who had Covid19, and that this person apparently said ‘it was nothing’. Do these people not read the news? - except I know that they do.

All of this, for me, is just further evidence that people see what they want to see. People are capable of performing mind blowing mental gymnastics.

Stouffers

Banned
We’ve let the grandparents come over but they have to stay outside and a few yards from the kids. They usually bring their folding chairs and watch the kids play in the yard.

prag16

Banned
I’ve told my mom, over and over, that because of her age it’s highly likely she’ll die if she gets Covid19.
I mean, what do you consider "highly likely"? Even in the worst hit countries even the 80+ group was under 30% death rate, and in most countries it was FAR lower, I've seen as low as a few percentage points. Claiming contracting it is a death sentence isn't really helpful or accurate. And if she's younger like in her 60s or less, even moreso.

Nester99

I’m experiencing the same ‘family issues’ as some of you guys. When my sister visits my mom she stands right in front of her face talking loudly at her. She and her husband (who’s still working in an office) even came into the house last week and just stood there for half an hour, babbling at my mom about nothing.

I’ve told my mom, over and over, that because of her age it’s highly likely she’ll die if she gets Covid19. She doesn’t seem able to grasp this. My sister, meanwhile, keeps saying she knows someone who had Covid19, and that this person apparently said ‘it was nothing’. Do these people not read the news? - except I know that they do.

All of this, for me, is just further evidence that people see what they want to see. People are capable of performing mind blowing mental gymnastics.

You live in BC right?
If so take a deep breath and look at some of the numbers. Bc is one of the safest places in the world right now with low cases and very low deaths. Car accidents are trending to kill more people here at an annual 250-300 per year.

I am in a major hospital right now I’m BC with a new born. They have not had a Covid patient for weeks.

Your care home experience is clearly raising your anxiety as it would for anyone. Stay calm you and your family will get through this.

ManaByte

Gold Member
101036036_10222051820473593_6297506741336670208_o.jpg

sinnergy

I mean, what do you consider "highly likely"? Even in the worst hit countries even the 80+ group was under 30% death rate, and in most countries it was FAR lower, I've seen as low as a few percentage points. Claiming contracting it is a death sentence isn't really helpful or accurate. And if she's younger like in her 60s or less, even moreso.
I know someone who was 50 in good health and barely escaped Corona death in the hospital, so it’s not that easily explained in numbers .
I know two people personally who both got it, in their 30s, 1 had it mild but had a bad flu for a week , the other was in bed for 3 and a half weeks and now 8 or so weeks in total she still hasn’t her energy back to do her work proper ..

And those are in their 30s, one had a little overweight, but the one that got it the worst had no overweight and no other chronic conditions.

just saying the numbers or statistics don’t tell the whole story either.

seems this virus is unpredictable. So being cautious is fine , better save than sorrow.

Loki

Count of Concision
I know someone who was 50 in good health and barely escaped Corona death in the hospital, so it’s not that easily explained in numbers .
I know two people personally who both got it, in their 30s, 1 had it mild but had a bad flu for a week , the other was in bed for 3 and a half weeks and now 8 or so weeks in total she still hasn’t her energy back to do her work proper ..

And those are in their 30s, one had a little overweight, but the one that got it the worst had no overweight and no other chronic conditions.

just saying the numbers or statistics don’t tell the whole story either.

seems this virus is unpredictable. So being cautious is fine , better save than sorrow.

That is the only thing that really scares me about this virus - its unpredictability. I'm 41 and in good (not great) shape, and have asthma which hasn't been active since I was around 8-10 years old (but I still obviously have it, genetically). I worry about what would happen if I caught this even though I'm fairly young with a strong immune system (which for this virus may be a negative rather than a positive).

A guy I work with is 35 with no underlying conditions, and is a PICTURE of health. Dude could be a fitness model. Works out, super cardio fitness, eats healthy etc. He got CV and said it was the worst thing he ever experienced in his life by far. Was just completely demolished by it, though he recovered. I'm nowhere near his level of fitness, am a bit older, have about 45 extra pounds on me (I have a huge muscular frame, so it's not that noticeable), and have/had asthma. So it's scary for me.

cryptoadam

Banned
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This woman almost killed me, and the guy at the door too:

Hi, Karen!

I was out at the park with my kids today and people in my part of Washington state appear to be totally done with this social distancing stuff. No masks, packed, people just having fun like normal. Felt almost surreal after so many months mostly indoors.

i found this pretty interesting. aside from the idiotic questions from reporters, it gives some insight into what congress is trying to do with the information they have. odd how Nancy Pelosi doesn't want us to look into China or the source of all this because "it's irrelevant".

he got pissed at that last reporter/questioning and he is exactly right.

cryptoadam

Banned
Wear a mask or go to jail.

Be a thug and get praised.

A black guy had his barber shop closed.

Burning down a black owned barber shop is A OK.

Getting a hair cut in one Jail time.

Oh and since some of these rioters are wearing masks then its OK, but going back to work and wearing a mask murderer

Celcius

°Temp. member
With all of the riots going on, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there’s a second wave of outbreaks on the way

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

JordanN

Banned
With all of the riots going on, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if there’s a second wave of outbreaks on the way
And then the media is going to blame Trump for this.

"Omg, why didn't he clearly stop those protesters from infecting each other?"
"Oh wait, he did. But then they called him a dictator for trying to help."

Last edited:

Pizdetz

Banned
COVID-19 has been a somewhat surreal experience. Basically the human experience has fundamentally changed for everyone, for some limited amount of time at least.
Was surprising to see so many Western European nations like France, Italy, Spain and UK handle it so poorly - the per capita deaths are substantially worse than the US. The US likely has a pretty robust medical system but the messaging was all over the place so people didn't take it seriously in time.

The worst problem right now is the messaging for sure. People are blaming Trump for being an idiot and trying to make masks political - but they only need to look at themselves. You have the facts from scientists at your disposal, stop bending over backwards for supporting a dysfunctional government and actually think about your fellow citizens instead of politics.

Lastly, based on what I'm reading on pneumonia reporting and total deaths, and states trying to hide Covid deaths, the reality is that we are definitely undercounting. Excess deaths is likely around 15%. For a single event/scenario to cause such a dramatic increase in deaths is pretty staggering. Can't even imagine what would have happened if shutdown measures and other precautions weren't put in place, or put in place much later.

HarryKS

Well good for anyone with Moderna stocks this little bit of news should jump their stock up. But 12 months for the trial to finish, and thats not even phase 3.

Yeah, no, this is old. The article might have been posted today, but there's nothing new in it. Moderna have been acting like good old scam artists alongside Gilead and Innovio.

The real big pharma would never do what they did.

They're protesting over the Regis case.

And this is bad, really, really, really bad because it's based on something even the family lawyer claims is not true.

Supposedly, mostly based on the young woman who fell from a balcony.

Still feels like we're piggybacking off the American protests though. Protesting an unsubstantiated claim is absolutely pathetic, not surprised given how liberal stupidity has spiraled out of control in this city/country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom