• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Los Angeles has locked down.

d6b4843778888665e20ee3bc91fb13ab

Locking people in their homes right when the Pandemic Unemployment expires. Get ready for the worst riots the US has ever seen.

Last edited:
Yeah a lot of places are returning to lockdowns not a good thing, I am so jealous of Japan right now they have been open for a while now

there are dozens of youtube channels and all they do is walk around cities and Japan is one of the places most people do this

many of the areas in Tokyo have been packed in recent weeks

I find a lot of people not wearing a mask but it is still like playing Where's Waldo

I have some work in California in September and December hoping shutdowns won't be a thing anymore

I had to cancel my June projects in CA

Last edited:

ManaByte

Yeah a lot of places are returning to lockdowns not a good thing, I am so jealous of Japan right now they have been open for a while now

there are dozens of youtube channels and all they do is walk around cities and Japan is one of the places most people do this

many of the areas in Tokyo have been packed in recent weeks

I find a lot of people not wearing a mask but it is still like playing Where's Waldo

I have some work in California in September and December hoping shutdowns won't be a thing anymore

I had to cancel my June projects in CA

Lockdowns will continue until November 4th.

After that will be riots depending on the outcome of November 3rd.

cryptoadam

Banned
I hope this means they have a better handle on treatment at the hospitals

Seems like resdesmvir is somewhat actually helpfull. Oxford found a steroid that would of saved 5K deaths so there is that. Plasma is another one thats working. And Birx mentioned a 4th drug but I didn't catch the name.

Also it sounds like doctors realized that vents were killing people and are actually using them properly.

And dont forget we don't have the 5 killer governors sending their old folk into homes to infect them and then mark down anyone who died as a COVID death.

So ya looks like some better drugs and policies along with the fact that the new infected are skewing younger basically in a population that has a 99.99% chance of surviving the virus.

But maybe I will eat my hat next week and the deaths will shoot back up into the 1000's.

Granted we all know COVID19 is not going to be the last virus we face at this scale but there is such a thing as too soon
people are already really tired of COVID19 right now.

and no one is going to trust the WHO

cryptoadam

Banned
Los Angeles has locked down.

d6b4843778888665e20ee3bc91fb13ab

Locking people in their homes right when the Pandemic Unemployment expires. Get ready for the worst riots the US has ever seen.

The first Lock down failed. Cali had one of the earlier, and harshest lock downs and it didn't work the virus was still there all along and Cali today had the most cases. But trying the same failed strategy as the first time because second times the charm.

It is like these numbers don't even matter anymore they just keep climbing and you can't stand looking at them. that is how I am feeling right now

UZsbHcS.png

K3MoInt.png

I still find it crazy that I predicted the virus was going to hit American in a BIG way long ago but people didn't listen to me and even our health experts and leaders couldn't see it coming or didn't want to admit it. Once I knew it hit Italy in a big way it was only a matter of time for America.

It's just common sense that America has the highest diversity of immigrants in the world and that millions of people travel here for both business and pleasure. I also knew NY city would be the epicenter for that same very reason. Even my roommate who is in school to become a nurse didn't believe me and said he wasn't worried about it.

ManaByte

But protests are OK.

“Gatherings of people you do not live with are not allowed,” he said.

Garcetti said he did not see hard evidence yet that recent protests contributed to these spikes. Asked about protests planned for the coming weekend and whether the city would intervene out of concern for new infections, the mayor responded, “Keep your social distance and wear masks. People can — and should — still exercise their first amendment rights.”

Last edited:
again, i can't say for th us since i don't live there, but face covering was suggested from day one here in europe given what we knew of similiar viruses, but they had no idea how much they could actually help, that's why the emphasys was on social distancing, together with the scaricity of masks around for those people that couldn't stay at x distance from infected.

that's what science does, it doesn't "know" things from the sky above.
they observe, they research, they test

The supposed greatest expert in the country, Fauci, told Americans that masks were useless in February because he would rather them die than doctors and nurses in all the barely-busy hospitals across the country.

He admitted that he lied for that reason. Why would anyone trust him again? He may just want you to die instead of people who are ethically bound to be at risk.

Last edited:
You do realize that 0.26% of the American population is 858 thousands deaths ?

It would never infect all Americans. If you work to sequester the vulnerable (the elderly), the 0.26% drops by an order of magnitude, and even then it will stop spreading eventually well before the entire population has it.

Don't be silly. Deaths trail cases by 3 to 6 weeks. You will see the spike in deaths soon enough, it's inevitable. Those 50.000 infections of today lead to 2.000 deaths per day in three weeks.

That would suggest a 4% death rate given how much testing the US is doing now. That is not going to happen - no where supports that, outside of nursing home populations.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It is like these numbers don't even matter anymore they just keep climbing and you can't stand looking at them. that is how I am feeling right now

UZsbHcS.png

K3MoInt.png

Look on the bright side nobody ever dies of it in China anymore!

It would never infect all Americans. If you work to sequester the vulnerable (the elderly), the 0.26% drops by an order of magnitude, and even then it will stop spreading eventually well before the entire population has it.

The group 'the elderly' is tens of millions of people. How will you sequester so many people ? Do they forage for food themselves as no one outside this group (doctors, nurses, family) interacts with them ?

The group 'the elderly' is tens of millions of people. How will you sequester so many people ? Do they forage for food themselves as no one outside this group (doctors, nurses, family) interacts with them ?

You tell people to minimize contact with them, have special hours at stores only for seniors (which is happening in my area and likely many others), deliver food to them, etc. It's not complicated.

Hell, just Walmart grocery pickup (or something similar at regular groceries) solves that problem.

Every step that reduces elderly infections pays off 100x in population death rate.

Last edited:
That is quite a difference from being sequestered which is a fancy way of saying locking them up.

It still leaves open what you will do to enforce this, do you arrest granny who goes out shopping outside the designated time ? If you appeal to common sense I'm afraid you'll be gravely disappointed.

Last edited:
That is quite a difference from being sequestered which is a fancy way of saying locking them up.

It still leaves open what you will do to enforce this, do you arrest granny who goes out shopping outside the designated time ? If you appeal to common sense I'm afraid you'll be gravely disappointed.

It is sequestering them - minimal contact.

We tell elderly people their options and do a few things to keep them safe. If they want to go out, that is on them. It is far more dangerous for them than anyone else. The special shopping times are for their safety, not ours (as young people). If we get it, it is basically the flu in terms of the chance of dying.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
WHO crawled out of their hole to scare us some more. Guys its going to get worse go back in your homes now.

I swear I could just cut and paste the same headline once a month because WHO like clock work keeps warning us the worst is yet to come the worse is yet to come.

So? Worldwide numbers are still accelerating. Of course the worst is yet to come. Four weeks after peak new infections is when the first wave is done. Not any sooner. Peak deaths is three weeks after peak new infections. So what exactly is your problem with WHO?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I still find it crazy that I predicted the virus was going to hit American in a BIG way long ago but people didn't listen to me and even our health experts and leaders couldn't see it coming or didn't want to admit it. Once I knew it hit Italy in a big way it was only a matter of time for America.

It's just common sense that America has the highest diversity of immigrants in the world and that millions of people travel here for both business and pleasure. I also knew NY city would be the epicenter for that same very reason. Even my roommate who is in school to become a nurse didn't believe me and said he wasn't worried about it.
The US has the shittiest health system in the developed world. Limited/unpaid sick days do the rest. Compare that to Europe where you have basically unlimited and paid sick days and everybody is insured. And even then it was hit hard. No wonder the US is hit harder.

cryptoadam

Banned
So? Worldwide numbers are still accelerating. Of course the worst is yet to come. Four weeks after peak new infections is when the first wave is done. Not any sooner. Peak deaths is three weeks after peak new infections. So what exactly is your problem with WHO?

They say the same thing like every 2 weeks. This is not the first time they said the worst is yet to come. In 2 weeks they will say the same thing. Just rinse and repeat.

WHO has been useless. Got everything wrong from day 1. Suggested ripping your family members from your home said no asymptomatic spread then back tracked the next day ran a study on HCQ that overdosed patients.

Cases are going up but deaths are staying flat or going down in most places. Theraputics are actually working. The WHO just trots itself out to be relevant telling us useless info lies or fear mongering.

Nymphae

Banned

Cancer diagnoses fell in 2020 by 39% compared with the average number recorded in 2018 and 2019. Prostate cancer (75%) bladder cancer (66%) and colorectal cancer (CRC; 62%) had the greatest decrease.

Guys we should do lockdowns every year look at the decrease in cancer! It's just good science.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A coworker of mine tested positive, so I had to drop everything today and leave what I was doing today. I sit like right next to him too. Now I'm waiting for someone to pick up on the local COVID telephone.

Edit: Getting tested in a bit. Can't believe it. Here I thought I was going to be in the clear.

Last edited:

Cracklox

Here in Aus we thought we had it beat. Most states have barely seen any new cases for weeks now. Except where I live, where there's been a few 100 new cases found in the last week or so.

So the government tried to isolate the hotspots and as a result there are 10 postcodes that go back down into higher lockdown restrictions for another month or so from today. I literally live over the road from one of those.

So... Party at my place I guess

cryptoadam

Banned
Just proves that you can't really beat this virus. China had the harshest lock down of anywhere and they still have the virus months later.

Aus did a great job, but it is still lurking and now its coming back.

Its almost impossible to eleminate this virus, and even if you get it down then you will always have that 1 that can start it all back up again.

Virus is a virus, we aren't gods as much as we like to think we are. Mother nature controls us not the other way around.

Just proves that you can't really beat this virus. China had the harshest lock down of anywhere and they still have the virus months later.

Its almost impossible to eleminate this virus, and even if you get it down then you will always have that 1 that can start it all back up again.

Virus is a virus, we aren't gods as much as we like to think we are. Mother nature controls us not the other way around.
The only thing that will actually work to beat it (maybe not even 100% but a good deal), is a decent vaccine. Everyday I hope I'll read something like "vaccine is going into production tomorrow" or something like that. Can't wait for the day. Hopefully, this year still.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Yup. This is their planet, not ours.

Setzer

310 deaths today. Usually mondays have a dead cat bounce, and this is a pretty small one.

Cases may be going up but deaths still keep dropping.
Funny how that works when there is no vaccine and apparently no known cure for the virus and yet deaths continue to drop and cases continue to rise. Wonder how many prescriptions of HCQ and Zinc are being handed out? Of course you won't hear the media talking about it.

cryptoadam

Banned
Dr Fauci added that he would gladly "settle" for a vaccine that is only 70% to 75% effective at first.

Interesting quote for Fauci.

I am expecting any vaccine we get will probably only be 40-50% effective, and thats probably on the high end. If Fauci is saying he will settle for 70-75% I have to think that is a high bar. Flu vaccines also range in the 40-50% effectiviness too.

So even with a vaccine out there and even if everybody got it, the virus would still be there and still be able to kill people because most likely the vaccine itself won't even be 100%.

Anyways 100K cases per day don't think thats happening. We were also supposed to be at 250K cases and I think 3K deaths a day at the beginning of June.

What we are probably seeing now is the virus working its way through the south because it was more located in the north east when it started.

Its the same thing that happened across the world where places like India/Russia/Africa are getting hit later than Europe/USA. The 3 day moving average is starting to come down a bit and lets see what today brings.

Keep in mind if the US had the testing it has now in March/April/May they would probably have found way more cases. Cuomo was claiming New York had something like 2 million infected. If NY did 500K tests a day in April they probably would of found 30K cases as day in their state alone.

that is dynamite. Wont get any traction tho.

I know it escapes the general media but hasnt the consensus for a while been that the death rate would be low? The risk is in its high infection rate and the burden on the healthcare system of dealing with those small percentage of people who get COVID in a bad way. Lockdowns were meant to slow the infection rate, not decrease the case fatality rate (except in instances where the healthcare system is overwhelmed and potentially savable people die due to lack of care)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom