• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Some reports say that although antibodies for coronavirus don't remain long in the body, helper T cells don't forget the virus and in case of re-infection they quickly promote the production of more antibodies and the destruction of infected cells before they release new copies of the virus.
We don't need a vaccine that gives full immunity, a vaccine that reduces the severity of the symptoms (and mortality rate) will do, even if it needs to taken every 6 months.

So basically a different flu shot.

Joe T.

As Covid-19 cases took off in New York in March, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo imposed a lockdown of nonessential businesses to slow the spread of the coronavirus, calling it “the most drastic action we can take.”

Now researchers say more targeted approaches — in New York and elsewhere — might have protected public health with less economic pain.

“The blunt instrument of a uniform policy causes more economic and related health harm than is necessary to accomplish the same goal of not increasing infections,” said John Birge, a mathematician at the University of Chicago who was an author of the study.

Anyone still threatening blanket lockdowns should step aside because they're showing you how little they've learned.

It's a good thing sunlight kills it. Oh wait.

...like this guy trying to erase scientific findings with a moronic hot take.

+

mb-sun-exposure.tmb-1024v.png

=

LevelHeaded-logo.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
Yes lets use the Spanish Flu as an example, it killed what 50 million people and had multiple waves? And 50 million in today's population would be 200 Million? 300 Million?

I wouldn't exactly call what happend during the spanish flu a smashing successes. Now lets consider its nearly 100 years later and the advances in technology we have and we should be able to come up with a better plan then one that killed 50 million people.

I think the best we can hope for are the deaths to continue to stay below 50 per day in the States

afN4ubS.png

dQS6jIi.png

Last edited:
Stupid BLM rioters fucking everything up.
That’s not entirely fair I think. My belief is that because large sections of the population in the northeast were already exposed to the virus, it’s ability to spread has been dampened quite a bit.

Take New York. While they have a confirmed case number of around 427,000, they have a death toll of over 32,000.

We can be fairly sure the mortality rate for the virus is somewhere south of 1%, so let’s it’s 0.8%, which is likely a bit high. If the mortality rate is 0.8% and we have 32,000 deaths in New York, you’d be looking at 4,000,000 actual cases in the state. That’s around 20% of the population.

20% doesn’t provide herd immunity, but if 1/5 of people can’t get or spread the virus because they already had it, you slow the spread significantly.

These are very rough examples, but this is my theory for why some places are seeing large increases in cases while others are not.

cryptoadam

Banned
That’s not entirely fair I think. My belief is that because large sections of the population in the northeast were already exposed to the virus, it’s ability to spread has been dampened quite a bit.

Take New York. While they have a confirmed case number of around 427,000, they have a death toll of over 32,000.

We can be fairly sure the mortality rate for the virus is somewhere south of 1%, so let’s it’s 0.8%, which is likely a bit high. If the mortality rate is 0.8% and we have 32,000 deaths in New York, you’d be looking at 4,000,000 actual cases in the state. That’s around 20% of the population.

20% doesn’t provide herd immunity, but if 1/5 of people can’t get or spread the virus because they already had it, you slow the spread significantly.

These are very rough examples, but this is my theory for why some places are seeing large increases in cases while others are not.

I can see it that way as well. The virus already burnt through New York and other places.

Thats why lock downs aren't really doing much and declines/decreases is more to do with how much of the population is still vulnerable to infection and spreading it. The states getting hit now at least have the last 4 months of preparedness to take advantage of. Lots of PPE, vents, FEMA, drugs, and tests now as compared to before.

Nymphae

Banned
I think the best we can hope for are the deaths to continue to stay below 50 per day in the States

afN4ubS.png

dQS6jIi.png

Can you reduce the size of these images? It's really easy to do.

Any of you follow Bald and Bankrupt? his Covid video got taken down for some reason, but here it is.

Bald took it down himself.

Thanks to everyone who watched my Covid story. I have now deleted the video because it's time to move on from what was a grim month of my life and not be reminded about it constantly. Time to get positive, focus on getting healthy and start planning the future. Also too many nutters in the comment section asking me how much the government/Bill Gates/Youtube paid me to create a fake story because the virus 'is fake'. It sure felt real to me. Hope you all and your family stay safe and well. Oh and don't worry about the 🍆 Bald

Last edited:

sinnergy

Have any results on the vaccine trials been released yet? Have any of them worked?
Creating vaccines normally take years ... so it’s a bit early for results . Maybe in a couple of months.

but some show promise.

Our Dutch modeler of the virus a, world renowned one, his model is used around the world for sars1, also thinks it can take longer than people now hope for, also refers to HIV and Tuberculosis as the don’t really have 100 % vaccines but are better treatable.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
What the fuck is going on in the US?

Holy shit that tweet is misleading. Antibody tests done in late April hinted at New York having up to 20% Infection rate. In New York City that would mean, by late April/early March, up to 2 million people already had COVID. Assuming it got here in late January like people think, that would mean there were many, many days when over 15,300 people got infected with COVID. Maybe most days.

What’s the difference between then and now - tests. Not who actually got it, but who got tested. The case count is a function of tests done, not how many people actually got COVID. This stuff is so fucking fake.

Last edited:
Holy shit that tweet is misleading. Antibody tests done in late April hinted at New York having up to 20% Infection rate. In New York City that would mean, by late April/early March, up to 2 million people already had COVID. Assuming it got here in late January like people think, that would mean there were many, many days when over 15,300 people got infected with COVID. Maybe most days.

What’s the difference between then and now - tests. Not who actually got it, but who got tested. The case count is a function of tests done, not how many people actually got COVID. This stuff is so fucking fake.

Exactly this. Chicago has seen similar results. Testing is way way up so of course "cases"' are way way up, we're finding people who were asymtomatic whereas before they went untested and then got over COVID and had the antibodies.

Joe T.

Most only look at deaths and shrug it off, like I said since January, you don’t want this virus , obey the simple rules .

"Look after yourself" is the better advice. Individual responsibility over collectivist demands makes a lot more sense for a virus that affects various segments of the population very differently.

Mask mandates and blanket lockdowns were/are overly simplistic responses to a complex issue, anyone issuing them is treating their residents like toddlers so it should be no surprise when they react accordingly. Give me a public health official confident enough to give us all the relevant facts - pros and cons both - along with his/her personal advice and then trusts us to use that information accordingly. Many in North America haven't gone that route, they couldn't even be bothered to be honest. Respect has to be earned and that speaks to both the relationship we have with our elected leaders/health officials and the one we have with each other.

To quote from a favorite cartoon/comic series of mine as a kid: "A moment of distrust can tear down what ten thousand years of peace has built."

iconmaster

Banned
There goes "herd immunity":

Even if you don't retain full immunity from antibodies, you can still have better resistance to a virus if infected a second time thanks to T-cells.

llien

Even if you don't retain full immunity from antibodies, you can still have better resistance to a virus if infected a second time thanks to T-cells.

I'm not into biology, but to my knowledge the said cells is how immune system normally handles known diseases.

iconmaster

Banned
I'm not into biology, but to my knowledge the said cells is how immune system normally handles known diseases.

Right, these are all just typical immune responses. We don't know anything for sure yet; I'm just pointing out that herd immunity may not depend on antibodies alone.

gatti-man

Stupid BLM rioters fucking everything up.
It’s time to let this go. The blm riots are long over (3 weeks ago) and red states are exploding with Covid. This narrative that it’s the riots and not rampant irresponsibility by citizens and red government is just stupid.

"Look after yourself" is the better advice. Individual responsibility over collectivist demands makes a lot more sense for a virus that affects various segments of the population very differently.

Mask mandates and blanket lockdowns were/are overly simplistic responses to a complex issue, anyone issuing them is treating their residents like toddlers so it should be no surprise when they react accordingly. Give me a public health official confident enough to give us all the relevant facts - pros and cons both - along with his/her personal advice and then trusts us to use that information accordingly. Many in North America haven't gone that route, they couldn't even be bothered to be honest. Respect has to be earned and that speaks to both the relationship we have with our elected leaders/health officials and the one we have with each other.

To quote from a favorite cartoon/comic series of mine as a kid: "A moment of distrust can tear down what ten thousand years of peace has built."
Yikes this is dumb.

let me guess you find seatbelt rules, medical requirements for Children to attend schools, insurance requirements for cars and all kinds of other mutual safety laws to be treating citizens like toddlers?

The people acting irresponsibly are those in states without mask mandates.There is a reason Florida is the worse state. Governments literally exist to protect the people. And when the people are too stupid to do it for themselves they make laws like seatbelt laws and DWI laws.

this falls under those issues. Half our country thinks masks are political. Half our country thinks Covid is not a big deal until
They are personally affected. Those people need to be told to wear masks. Period.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
It’s time to let this go. The blm riots are long over (3 weeks ago) and red states are exploding with Covid.

The protests happened in red states too -- in the urban areas. They weren't as massive or newsworthy, but they still happened. "Thousands" in Des Moines, Iowa, for example.

But here's the thing: either the protestors AND those trying to get back to daily life are both irresponsible, or neither are. You can't split this hair. The attempts by medical experts to do so are making people like me say, "screw it."

Actually now that the experts have shown their cards, I'm done playing the game. They'll need to pass a law if they want me wearing a mask.

Last edited:

Joe T.

Those people need to be told to wear masks. Period.

They do, by government officials and members of the press with communication skills that go well beyond what you've demonstrated here. Don't treat your audience like idiots if you want to be taken seriously.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It’s time to let this go. The blm riots are long over (3 weeks ago) and red states are exploding with Covid. This narrative that it’s the riots and not rampant irresponsibility by citizens and red government is just stupid.

Yikes this is dumb.

let me guess you find seatbelt rules, medical requirements for Children to attend schools, insurance requirements for cars and all kinds of other mutual safety laws to be treating citizens like toddlers?

The people acting irresponsibly are those in states without mask mandates.There is a reason Florida is the worse state. Governments literally exist to protect the people. And when the people are too stupid to do it for themselves they make laws like seatbelt laws and DWI laws.

this falls under those issues. Half our country thinks masks are political. Half our country thinks Covid is not a big deal until
They are personally affected. Those people need to be told to wear masks. Period.
Dude, it’s a virus, it spreads. I’m sure lax policies have contributed to it too, but it’s no coincidence this started surging a couple weeks after the protests, which are still going on btw. And if it spread to some people and then they go back home to another county and then spread it to people there. California is surging too, it’s not a red state and they still have lockdown policies in place.

bigsnack

I'm not sure how others feel, but there is barely any talk about how folks can actually get themselves out of a risk group in the first place. Why is that? There have been some scattered articles here or there, but why don't folks focus equally on quitting smoking, eating anti-inflammatory foods, etc.? That seems like such a no-brainer to me, and I don't hear much about that. Is it because folks would rather just blame non-mask wearers instead of taking on responsibility themselves?

diffusionx

Gold Member
This country has decided to destroy itself over a virus that presents worst case as the flu in all but .5% of cases and as literally nothing in one third of them. The mind reels.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom