• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The lockdown at least should have bought some time.

To get testing up to speed.
To get contact tracing systems set up.
To prepare for a future rush on hospitals.
To develop effective treatments.

The US tests more than any other country, too bad the tests are bogus and used to generate big numbers to scare people. Too bad the contact tracing systems in place are totally politicized and don’t ask about government approved rioting. Too bad that hospitals have closed in the middle of a pandemic due to a lack of patients/revenue. Too bad that effective treatments were sidelined because the President said they might be effective.

Saruhashi

Banned
I have been taking those vitamines ages ...
Never got Corona even licked shoppingcarts, just saying .

You really are a sorry and pathetic individual.

He isn't saying that vitamins C & D will provide immunity.

He is saying that they can help you to fight off the virus if you catch it.

Why be so dismissive of an option that may increase a persons chances of survival and recovery?

"Hurr durr vitamins won't make you immune you dumbasses. "

So you think eating well, living healthy and supplementing that with vitamins etc won't help at all?

You fucking clown.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Banned
They work for the flu so of course they work for this, it's amazing how many common sense remedies aren't allowed to be spoken of, like how they tried to pretend Hydroxychloriquine was some unknown quantity we couldn't verify how dangerous it is despite decades of use.

No mate the virus is just going to kill us if we get it.

No way supplements and a healthy lifestyle could possible help with immunity and resistance to illness. NEVER.

The only thing that can work is wearing a mask and never going outdoors!

cryptoadam

Banned
Interesting on the mask debate vs HCQ debate.

There is more evidence that HCQ works but it seems the maskers are the same that hate HCQ.

With HCQ we need the gold standard double blind RCT or its going to kill you. But masks nah never mind about that. There are actually dozens if not more studies showing HCQ works, no studies showing masks work. If anything there are more studies showing mask don't do anything in the general population.

Then maskers point to Asian countries and say ah ha theres the proof, but don't take into account that maybe its not masks, maybe its that these countries didn't kill their elderly, or aren't fatties. nope must be the masks.

We even had a huge debate about one ancedotal story about 4 people who didn't get the virus in SK, yet there are 100's of ancedotal stories about people taking HCQ and getting better.

Hey I won't say HCQ works or not, but there is way more evidence that it does over masks doing anything to decrease the transmission. So all the maskers will you take HCQ considering you are putting your faith in masks which have nothing behind them, but not HCQ which has a lot more behind it?

The same thing was done with Vitamin D. Some people were pushing it like Dr. Campbell but no one wanted to put time into it and there was even censoring of Vit D talk. Now all the studies are coming up but its barely registering. Again more evidence (and common sense) that Vit D actually does help as opposed to masks.

Welp Quebec another record high day in months, we have been masked for 2 months.

Leyasu

Banned

There is more evidence that HCQ works but it seems the maskers are the same that hate HCQ.

With HCQ we need the gold standard double blind RCT or its going to kill you. But masks nah never mind about that. There are actually dozens if not more studies showing HCQ works, no studies showing masks work. If anything there are more studies showing mask don't do anything in the general population.

Then maskers point to Asian countries and say ah ha theres the proof, but don't take into account that maybe its not masks, maybe its that these countries didn't kill their elderly, or aren't fatties. nope must be the masks.

We even had a huge debate about one ancedotal story about 4 people who didn't get the virus in SK, yet there are 100's of ancedotal stories about people taking HCQ and getting better.

Hey I won't say HCQ works or not, but there is way more evidence that it does over masks doing anything to decrease the transmission. So all the maskers will you take HCQ considering you are putting your faith in masks which have nothing behind them, but not HCQ which has a lot more behind it?

The same thing was done with Vitamin D. Some people were pushing it like Dr. Campbell but no one wanted to put time into it and there was even censoring of Vit D talk. Now all the studies are coming up but its barely registering. Again more evidence (and common sense) that Vit D actually does help as opposed to masks.

Welp Quebec another record high day in months, we have been masked for 2 months.

HCQ is hydroxychloroquine right?

If so, Turkey has been prescribing that since the beginning to confirmed cases. They have also been using it in conjunction with another anti viral and have a relatively low death rate compared to other countries.

That has worked for them.... Shrugs
Yeah, I’m not doing that. Not for this virus. I have a better chance of dying in a car accident than I do dying of COVID, and I get in my car every day just fine. I’ll wear a mask if it makes everyone feel better, but we’re done locking down.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Dude. What are you talking about? We have RCTs for HCQ. They show it doesn't work. Leave your partisanship out of it and you'll see there is no controversy on this topic.

It's not HCQ versus masks. What a weird way to frame this. They don't even accomplish the same thing. One's a drug, the other is a piece of protective equipment.

No one has ever said taking Vitamin D is a bad idea. Who the hell was censoring Vitamin D? That sounds completely made up. It's not surprising that Vitamin D helps with COVID. Vitamin D deficiency is exceedingly common and impairs your immune system, but you should be on Vitamin D anyway. No one is saying that masks are a replacement for Vitamin D.

frostyxc

The problem is that people conflate a prophylactic treatment with a cure... which is insane. HCQ combined with zinc is good for shutting this virus out early, but every low-information zombie who argues against it thinks HCQ proponents are touting it as a cure. You can't convince a brainwashed fool who thinks that they're the smartest person in the room, so it's like arguing with a brick wall... except the brick wall is more intelligent than the people screaming about the dangers of HCQ.

As for masks, who knew so many people were into magic talismans? Wear a mask, gain +10,000 COVID protection, right? Ridiculous. Cue someone shrieking "It's not for you; it's to protect some random grandma you're licking the eyeballs of!" Sure, wear a mask if you have symptoms, but come on.

Uh, no, they don't. Post receipts.

Why don't you post receipts? Really sick of the disingenuous BS from people like you

Leyasu

Banned
Yeah, I’m not doing that. Not for this virus. I have a better chance of dying in a car accident than I do dying of COVID, and I get in my car every day just fine. I’ll wear a mask if it makes everyone feel better, but we’re done locking down.
It’s too late anyway for that. The money is spent. Europe would need another marshal plan if they locked down again.

It was a one time only chance to get things under control with a robust follow up to keep the R number below 1. Now that chance has passed, we need to roll with it until a vaccine/ herd immunity or a medicine that renders it non lethal.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Why don't you post receipts? Really sick of the disingenuous BS from people like you

Only one of those studies is an RCT, and it did not even examine the effects of HCQ. It looked at vitamin D. Perhaps you should try reading what you're posting. Of the four other links, they refer to only two retrospective studies. So basically you've posted two retrospective studies. That doesn't compare against the weight of the three randomized controlled trials that I've posted numerous times in this thread. As I've explained many times, RCTs are the gold standard for medical research. Feel free to refer to my previous posts on this topic if you're actually interested it.

Last edited:
Only one of those studies is an RCT, and it did not even examine the effects of HCQ. It looked at vitamin D. Perhaps you should try reading what you're posting. Of the four other links, they refer to only two retrospective studies. So basically you've posted two retrospective studies. That doesn't compare against the weight of the three randomized controlled trials. As I've explained many times, RCTs are the gold standard for medical research. Feel free to refer to my previous posts on this topic if you're actually interested it.

I'll feel free to ignore you because you're full of crap and let the MSM brainwash you.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You're pushing studies and anecdotal evidence of HCQ because there isn't enough RCT evidence, so I want the RCT evidence regarding masks since all the professionals are advising us and sometimes forcing us to wear them.
That's not what I'm saying at all.
The studies I'm pushing ARE RCTs.
I'm saying that there ARE RCTs that show HCQ doesn't work. There are plenty at this point. They show it does not work as a treatment. It does not work as a post exposure prophlyactic. It does not work as a pre exposure prophylactic. Until contradicting evidence of equal strength comes to light, HCQ does not work and should not be utilised outside of a research setting for COVID19.

The Henry Ford study for example was flawed in several respects. Patient's treated with HCQ were significantly more likely to have been treated with dexamethasone, which we know improves survival in COVID19. Patients in that study treated with HCQ were also more likely to have been admitted to hospital recently, and were more likely to still be in hospital when it was released (i.e. had not yet reached a study outcome). These are confounding factors that make retrospective studies less reliable as evidence.

Last edited:
That's not what I'm saying at all.
The studies I'm pushing ARE RCTs.
I'm saying that there ARE RCTs that show HCQ doesn't work. There are plenty at this point. They show it does not work as a treatment. It does not work as a post exposure prophlyactic. It does not work as a pre exposure prophylactic. Until contradicting evidence of equal strength comes to light, HCQ does not work and should not be utilised outside of a research setting for COVID19.

Do you think someone dying of COVID-19 cares if the study is an RCT or not? And you're being very evasive about the mask-use question. If RCT is how we decide things why are we wearing masks?

Saruhashi

Banned
The problem is that people conflate a prophylactic treatment with a cure... which is insane. HCQ combined with zinc is good for shutting this virus out early, but every low-information zombie who argues against it thinks HCQ proponents are touting it as a cure. You can't convince a brainwashed fool who thinks that they're the smartest person in the room, so it's like arguing with a brick wall... except the brick wall is more intelligent than the people screaming about the dangers of HCQ.

As for masks, who knew so many people were into magic talismans? Wear a mask, gain +10,000 COVID protection, right? Ridiculous. Cue someone shrieking "It's not for you; it's to protect some random grandma you're licking the eyeballs of!" Sure, wear a mask if you have symptoms, but come on.

Yup.

Pretty much since this all kicked off there is a certain kind of person that refuses to acknowledge the idea of "treatment".

Any measure that isn't either a vaccine or some way to not even catch the virus is roundly ridiculed or misrepresented as a crazy anti-scientific, instant, cure.

This has been going on since March. From Day One mainstream media should have been full of information about how people can give themselves the best possible chance IF they are unlucky and contract the virus. What vitamins you need, what foods to eat, exercise plans etc etc.

By now, 20 odd weeks later, half the world would be educated and eating well and fit and healthy and ready to fight off the virus should the worst happen.

Then even after all that you'd be put in the hands of doctors who are fully able to treat you and hopefully get you on the road to recovery.

Instead you get a bunch of smug cunts acting like if you catch the virus you're fucked and any suggestion that is could be treated or that you could preemptively give yourself a better chance is scoffed at.

Surely if you're gonna be one of the unlucky minority that catches the virus you'd want to give yourself the best possible chance of survival and recovery?

Yet when someone suggests a treatment there's an army of screechers making sure you are seen as some crazy fool who thinks the virus can be stopped by treatment.

Basically their narrative is if you get the virus you are fucked no matter what. Don't look at the data, listen to this anecdote about one guy who was 30 and perfectly healthy. You could die too! Having a healthy lifestyle and body won't save you! Nevermind factors like age, obesity and underlying conditions! You're gonna die if you get it and NO treatment can ever save you.

Now that you've been sufficiently scared shitless don't you think it's better to just wear a mask and stay at home at all times? Maybe bake some sugary treats as we laugh at the buffoons and their "vitamins"?

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Do you think someone dying of COVID-19 cares if the study is an RCT or not? And you're being very evasive about the mask-use question. If RCT is how we decide things why are we wearing masks?

Why does it matter what they think? What matters is if the drug works.

I'm being evasive because it's a red red herring. But I'll bite. It is much harder to design an RCT for any population level intervention. The C in RCT stands for controlled. It is impossible for people conducting a study on masks to monitor people as they go about their daily lives to ensure they're adhering to whatever study arm they were assigned to, so these studies are prone to reporting bias. I suspect mask wearing is likely to be effective in only certain populations - those with smaller household sizes, for example. The RCTs we do have for community mask use are conflicting - some show a modest benefit, some show no benefit. This is dissimilar from HCQ, where the RCT results are uniform. It doesn't work.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Even if this was true (LOL), there is no path that leads to people throwing out their masks and living normal lives. Not a single person from Fauci on down is talking about it. It’s all about “the new normal” and how we just have to accept the dystopian nightmare they are giving us. Even with a vaccine, still gotta wear masks, and vote for Joe Biden for the “strong scientific approach” - make this nightmare reality permanent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

cryptoadam

Banned
LA says schools will open AFTER the election. Gee I wonder why they won't open before it?

It actually has more to do with the new season of walking dead.

R1ae6Q9.jpg

The public health director was busy working as an undead ghoul to open up the schools

prag16

Banned
Why does it matter what they think? What matters is if the drug works.

I'm being evasive because it's a red red herring. But I'll bite. It is much harder to design an RCT for any population level intervention. The C in RCT stands for controlled. It is impossible for people conducting a study on masks to monitor people as they go about their daily lives to ensure they're adhering to whatever study arm they were assigned to, so these studies are prone to reporting bias. I suspect mask wearing is likely to be effective in only certain populations - those with smaller household sizes, for example. The RCTs we do have for community mask use are conflicting - some show a modest benefit, some show no benefit. This is dissimilar from HCQ, where the RCT results are uniform. It doesn't work.
68.gif

sinnergy

You really are a sorry and pathetic individual.

He isn't saying that vitamins C & D will provide immunity.

He is saying that they can help you to fight off the virus if you catch it.

Why be so dismissive of an option that may increase a persons chances of survival and recovery?

"Hurr durr vitamins won't make you immune you dumbasses. "

So you think eating well, living healthy and supplementing that with vitamins etc won't help at all?

You fucking clown.
At least a clown have humor 🤡 😜 go live a little instead of posting walls of text in here 🤣

I am firing up the old BBQ and gonna enjoy a nice Indian summer evening!

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is that because every case of the flu was counted as COVID-19?

How can anyone make this claim where:

1. the "COVID" numbers are higher than the flu in every single country, except NZ where PM Mommy imposed brutal and neverending lockdowns over single digital COVID case counts (I'd rather just get sick myself)
2. We know that flu case couints/deaths are estimated very broadly, whereas we have these bullshit tests to "prove" COVID.
3. COVID comes at the same time as the flu, infects people in the same way as the flu, has the same symptoms as the flu, and kills the same people as the flu?

For all practical purposes what is the difference? I thought The Economist was written by smart people?

How can anyone make this claim where:

1. the "COVID" numbers are higher than the flu in every single country, except NZ where PM Mommy imposed brutal and neverending lockdowns over single digital COVID case counts (I'd rather just get sick myself)
2. We know that flu case couints/deaths are estimated very broadly, whereas we have these bullshit tests to "prove" COVID.
3. COVID comes at the same time as the flu, infects people in the same way as the flu, has the same symptoms as the flu, and kills the same people as the flu?

For all practical purposes what is the difference? I thought The Economist was written by smart people?

Flu kills more children and infants, don't forget that.

Chittagong

Gold Member
England records one more Covid-19 death in hospital in preliminary toll as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland record no new victims
  • The victim was a person over the age of 80 who died in a hospital in Bradford, West Yorkshire, the NHS said

Time to lock the fuck down

diffusionx

Gold Member

Siri

Banned
This isn’t the flu.

——-
“... The British Medical Journal released new guidance for health providers in August on how to treat long-haul COVID-19 patients, estimating that up to 10% of all people who have tested positive could develop a prolonged illness. The guidance includes specific blood tests to perform, possibly referring patients to pulmonary rehabilitation and having them use pulse oximetry at home to measure oxygen saturation in the blood.

Results like these fly in the face of a narrative that took hold early in the pandemic, in which many medical professionals believed that the average COVID-19 patient would be sick for a couple weeks, clear the virus and be fine afterward.”
——-

The percentage of people who’ll end up with long-term damage to their bodies is completely unknown at present - but it’s asinine to believe this virus is no different than the flu, and to deny the possibility that a significant percentage of people who get this disease will end up with lifelong problems.

Anecdotal, yes - but I have three colleagues at work who all got sick with Coronavirus way back in February, before we knew it was even in the building. All three have taken sick leave multiple times throughout the summer, all saying the same thing, that they just feel ‘very unwell’. One is a 26-year-old male who used to be an avid cyclist - he says he can’t even ride four blocks without ‘feeling ill again’. He was sick with Covid19 in February. I even remember the day he left early, saying he felt sick. I wouldn’t see him again for three months.

It’s bizarre that so many people believe this virus is either fake, or that it really isn’t that much worse than the flu. Hopefully, the number of people who suffer from long term damage will be low - but the early evidence doesn’t actually support that. Either way, we simply don’t know yet.

We need to science this. Not just dismiss this virus as being ‘like the flu’. Personally, I haven’t ruled out the possibility that this virus is from a lab. That alone should cause people to re-think the notion that this virus is ‘normal’.

Also, about masks. If I’m wearing a mask... a proper mask, not a cloth one, but a nurse‘s mask, or an N95... and you’re wearing a mask... then the chances of transmission between us are low. What’s so difficult to understand about this?

Again, anecdotal - but my girlfriend is the Dietician at our facility, and way back in February one of her workers went into her office coughing like crazy, saying she needed to leave early because she felt terrible. My girlfriend said the coughing was so bad she just assumed it was theatrics. Nevertheless, she told her worker to go home. This worker was someone who, pre-pandemic, always wore a mask, and thankfully was wearing one that day. There were two others in the office. Had my girlfriend’s worker not been wearing a mask it’s a near certainty that everyone in the small office room would’ve gotten Covid19, which is what the worker had. (The outbreak at our facility would be discovered and declared 48 hours later.)

This idea that masks are a threat to your liberty is asinine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom