• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainedRage

Banned
How did it go? Feeling any symptoms afterwards or at the moment? From what I have looked into, the body’s immune response lasts at least a couple of weeks after the shot; creating antibodies and T-cells and such
I had the first shot. It hurt at the injection spot for about 2 days. Absolutely zero side effects. Super easy and safe process. I have a feeling after the second shot I may feel a bit tired or get a fever but I’m not expecting anything worse.

People rage about the dumbest shit.

xrnzaaas

Those motherfucking, cock-sucking, son-of-a-bitch whore nuggets in our government today announced, AFTER MORE THAN A YEAR, that masks are USELESS and that you have to wear TWO of them (because useless + useless = useful? wtf) or n95 respirator otherwise you can't use public transport, go to a shop or anything. I've had fucking ENOUGH of their constant bullshit, lies and tyranny. I fucking refuse to comply any longer. I will continue to wear my mask as I used to and if anyone gives me shades I'll rip their throats out. Fuck, I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take this anymore!
In my country the government is currently "thinking" about enforcing surgical/ffp2 masks (for outside use as well, not only in shops / public transport etc.). Totally a coincidence that some big local companies have started manufacturing ffp2 masks on a larger scale in December. I'm not planning any changes if it's enforced and it'll only lead to more people not wearing any masks at all, because already a lot of them have enough of the bullshit rule to wear them outside.

Last edited:

RAL1992

Update: had my first pfizer vaccine today after taking the other half who has nothing wrong with her other than being coeliac and me not being called for it, she was told by the paramedic after hers that there's a load left each day and get your fiance to return at 6 becuase we know the count left over, so I travelled back and whilst I was there they made an announcement to ask people to phone close relatives to have the jab because its going to go to waste, must be a widespread problem

Chaplain

I had the first shot. It hurt at the injection spot for about 2 days. Absolutely zero side effects. Super easy and safe process. I have a feeling after the second shot I may feel a bit tired or get a fever but I’m not expecting anything worse.

I experienced something different on my first shot (get the second one on the 25th) of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. Shortly after receiving my shot around 8:30 AM, by 10:00 AM I had moderate symptoms (i.e., felt fatigued all day and lost part of my voice). However, I did feel completely normal the following day.

edited

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
I experienced something different on my first shot (get the second one on the 25th) of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine. Shortly after receiving my shot around 8:30 AM, by 10:00 AM I had moderate symptoms (i.e., felt fatigued all day and lost part of my voice). However, I did feel completely normal the following day.

edited
Weird, they had me wait like 20 min and I was good to go back to work. i maybe felt tired but I always feel tired ;P
Hopefully the second one hits less.

Chaplain

Weird, they had me wait like 20 min and I was good to go back to work. i maybe felt tired but I always feel tired ;P

Agreed. Most of my co-workers didn't have any issues except one. That is the problem with the C-19 vaccine. No one knows how they will react until they take it for themselves.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Agreed. Most of my co-workers didn't have any issues except one. That is the problem with the C-19 vaccine. No one knows how they will react until they take it for themselves.

That's the same with all vaccines...

Chaplain

That's the same with all vaccines...

With the C-19 vaccine, I know of one person that had extreme symptoms (high fever that lasted for two-days ), others who had extreme fatigue, or others that had no side-effects when they had the second shot. I am the only person that I know of at my work (I work at a hospital) that had moderate symptoms with the first shot (and the only person that experienced losing my voice). All vaccines are like this?

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It should, your body is already prepared for it.

The worst reaction I had to a vaccine was shingles. My arm was really sore for 2-3 days and the the first day I felt like I had the chills and I felt like you do pre-flu before the hardcore symptoms kick in, and the next day those were gone and it was just arm soreness for another day.

I have a couple pre-existing conditions and my doctors tell me I'll be one of the first groups to get vaccinated, but there's no comprehensive instruction anywhere on where to get the vaccine. I signed up for some list on the government website and I'm supposed to just wait for a call. Who knows when that'll be. Meanwhile I've known people who signed up on Rite Aid's website and booked an appointment, but I've been unable to. They all just say all booked up.

And one local supermarket pharmacy was offering the vaccine but they said it was only 75+ no matter what even people with pre-existing conditions.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I check the Rite Aid scheduler a couple times a day. An appointment slot for the first time for me popped up. I went to schedule it and it was booked as I was putting in my information.

So apparently they're handling this bullshit like PS5 sales. I'm sorry, if you need to type in all this information, once you click the appt slot and hit "next" it should be reserved for you for a period of time. This isn't checking for a fucking video game, these are medical questions that are of important and you shouldn't have to rush through just to make a damn appointment.

Ridiculous.

Last edited:

Chaplain

Video: The Science Behind Why New Covid Variants Are Spreading Faster | WSJ (2/19/21)

As highly transmissible coronavirus variants sweep across the world, scientists are racing to understand why these new versions of the virus are spreading faster, and what this could mean for vaccine efforts. New research says the key may be the spike protein, which gives the coronavirus its unmistakable shape.

edited

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I went in a restaurant yesterday and it was packed - looked indistinguishable from pre-pandemic times, although a few groups worse masks on arrival until seated.

Rathalos

Banned
I had my first vaccine today, I was in and out within 5 minutes and it didn't hurt at all. I do have a bit of a headache which is common.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Mark Wahlberg Reaction GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

I went in a restaurant yesterday and it was packed - looked indistinguishable from pre-pandemic times, although a few groups worse masks on arrival until seated.
Simultaneously disheartening and encouraging. The former because I don't think we're quite there yet and people just don't care anymore I guess. Encouraging because that whole "oooobviously cases are dropping because people changed their behavior! Its not burning out at all!" Is complete nonsense. Its a personal anecdote but I can report its the same way in my town. Bars, restaurants, gyms, you name it. And it's been that way for awhile. So its sure as hell not the public at large's behavior thats causing cases to drop.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Im vaccinated, but still worried to go out into the world. My gf isnt vaccinated and im scared of bringing it home to her, even if i cant get sick from it

FireFly

Simultaneously disheartening and encouraging. The former because I don't think we're quite there yet and people just don't care anymore I guess. Encouraging because that whole "oooobviously cases are dropping because people changed their behavior! Its not burning out at all!" Is complete nonsense. Its a personal anecdote but I can report its the same way in my town. Bars, restaurants, gyms, you name it. And it's been that way for awhile. So its sure as hell not the public at large's behavior thats causing cases to drop.
We've had the exact same discussion throughout this crisis. Before the second wave people posted pictures of crowded bars in Sweden and claimed the virus must have burnt out. Over the summer we were told the virus had burnt out in London and New York.

Chaplain

Video: ESCAPE From LOCKDOWNED CALIFORNIA To OPEN FLORIDA (2/21/21)

"Nothing can be more different than California and Florida right now. In this video, I canvas the streets of Miami to show you a world with the locals that is open and thriving."

Edited

Last edited:

T8SC

It surprises me that the UK Government actually believes people are sticking to the rules. The biggest one being exploited is exercise. People aren't staying local, they're driving to do the exercise when they don't need to, they're putting themselves at risk doing things that they dont need to, they're ignoring requests from groups like RNLI, MRT and others.

BUT, don't worry, as long as you say "It's for my mental health", its all ok to do whatever you want, that is your hall pass. Kinda like how you can put your hazard warnings on & be granted the ability to park anywhere.

/sarcasm.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
We've had the exact same discussion throughout this crisis. Before the second wave people posted pictures of crowded bars in Sweden and claimed the virus must have burnt out. Over the summer we were told the virus had burnt out in London and New York.

It's clear now that the burnout theory when cases cratered last summer in the hardest hit areas from the spring was wishful thinking that ignored the seasonality of respiratory illness and the huge second wave of the 1918 flu.

That said, nobody from the pro-lockdown camp can adequately explain why there's no wide divergence in outcomes between California and Florida. None of the media's 'superspreader' threats about outdoor celebrations when sports teams won came true.

Last edited:
I see your point but the drops we're seeing worldwide and in the entire country are not the same as two cities. So while what you're saying seems logical I think it is a false equivalency. Plus we've added 8 more months and it found a LOT of hosts in November-January.

FireFly

I see your point but the drops we're seeing worldwide and in the entire country are not the same as two cities. So while what you're saying seems logical I think it is a false equivalency. Plus we've added 8 more months and it found a LOT of hosts in November-January.
My point is that at different points we've contained the virus while maintaining varying degrees of normality, and yet the virus was still ready to jump back (eg. see Europe over the summer). So from the fact that everything seems "normal", it doesn't follow that it isn't merely being supressed. The main thing to watch out for is if new daily cases drop to zero, or plateau at a low level. If they merely plateau, it means the virus is spreading at a constant rate, so it isn't actually dying out.

Last edited:

Majmun

Must be proof that lockdowns work then. /s

It's just ridiculous.

Prime minister Rutte advised us last year to not travel until march this year. I haven't heard any update on that so I'm going on vacation next month.

Last year I had to cancel three vacations because of corona threat/fear, but now FUCK IT, I'm going. Already planned two more vacations after this one.

The lockdown will probably last for another month or two and I'm not taking it anymore. I know, first world problem etc, but I'm done with it.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It's just ridiculous.

Prime minister Rutte advised us last year to not travel until march this year. I haven't heard any update on that so I'm going on vacation next month.

Last year I had to cancel three vacations because of corona threat/fear, but now FUCK IT, I'm going. Already planned two more vacations after this one.

The lockdown will probably last for another month or two and I'm not taking it anymore. I know, first world problem etc, but I'm done with it.
You have my sympathy - our Christmas vacation with kids got cancelled because of Covid-19. Really wanted to show them snow, etc. It is obvious people are fed up and the government either speeds up massively the vaccinations or just let it go, otherwise there will be nothing to come back to.

GamingKaiju

Can't name Pearl Harbor, Don't know who Hitler is or what he did JFC :messenger_dizzy: How the fuck they have the right to scream fascist on Social media without even knowing what fascism looked irl :pie_eyeroll: I'm not surprised though my history education was crap in school but it got me to go out and find more info on such important historical events.

We truly are doomed to repeat History.

pel1300

Video: ESCAPE From LOCKDOWNED CALIFORNIA To OPEN FLORIDA (2/21/21)

Edited

This guy is a travel vlogger who has become a centrist politically after traveling the world. His video on SF was fantastic. I sent it to nerdrotic

Looks like he is using his voice to wake ppl up. Good for him.

Shame on the other travel youtubers who are in Mexico and pretenfing to be pro COVID restrictions when Cancun is the same as Miami right now.

Termite

Had my second Pfizer shot on Sunday at 11am. Easy, just like the first. Barely felt it. Since I had no side effects that time other than a sore arm I wasn't worried at all.

Went and played golf in a 16-man tourney (and won lol), had beers after until 7pm, and then had my cousin over to chat until 11pm.

Suddenly felt very tired... then the shakes started. And within an hour I was in full-blown flu mode. Hot flashes, shakes, muscle myalgias, joint pain, dull but constant headache, and some nausea. Not fun. Got to sleep around 4am but couldn't go to work the next day and slept in all day - just fucking exhausted. Still felt bad yesterday evening but woke up this morning with nothing but a bit of residual tiredness and a slightly sore head.

Looked it up online and apparently these side effects are much, much more common for the second dose. That said, at least I know it was working!

So bear that in mind for Pfizer. You may have a rough 24 hours starting 12 hours after the 2nd dose. The first couple hours are the worst of it, then it trails off quickly enough into more manageable symptoms. For info purposes, I'm 37 years old, 6'1, 177 lbs, no health issues or allergies, but not physically fit.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned

Fuck this guy. What the fuck? Are there NO other scientists the media can quote? He’s not even doing the research himself! He has to rely on the same sources we all have access to.

The only thing that will shut these jackasses up is to watch the numbers of infected to continually go down.

This assclown thinks we’ll be wearing masks straight into 2022. We need to start listening to other professional opinions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom