• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Texas is open. Starting next Wednesday, March 10:

- No statewide mask mandate.
- All businesses of any type can open at 100% capacity.
Hell yeah Abbott, maybe you wont get primaried after all.

Personally I will wait till april when I will have both shots of the vaccine to really rejoin society.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Texas is open. Starting next Wednesday, March 10:

- No statewide mask mandate.
- All businesses of any type can open at 100% capacity.

Goddamn. The idea of moving to Texas is looking more and more appealing these days.

Meanwhile in CA:
jealous GIF
Stop posting about PC gamers looking at bloodbourne.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Perhaps not in US.
It surely does work (to a point) in Germany.

It stagnated when... good weather (and opening schools) came. Germans struggle with staying home when it's sunny.
I wouldn't be sure of that. Looking at NPIs around the world, they don't appear to correlate with the infection curves. I think there's a few outliers to that like NZ, but Germany doesn't look like one of them. They reimposed lockdowns as the fall spike started and the cases and deaths just kept going.

GamingKaiju

Astrazenica was not recommended for people at 65 and above age.
How is that political?

The post factum news about effectiveness of anything, prove jack shit. We did NOT have evidence it helps earlier, there is nothing "political" about it, it is political to zoom out to "EU vs UK' and state otherwise.

Even after they've proved it does help elderly too, that whopping 36% chance of contracting the virus even after you are infected is too bad for elderly, I surely would not want my parents to take that, if they had mRNA option.

Perhaps not in US.
It surely does work (to a point) in Germany.

It stagnated when... good weather (and opening schools) came. Germans struggle with staying home when it's sunny.

France/EU made it political when they started acting like morons and activated article 16 of the U.K. withdrawal agreement over vaccine supplies and then Macron tweeted out that the Ox/AZ vaccine was “Quasi-ineffective” in over 65s with zero scientific backing which FYI studies have shown that the Ox/AZ vax is just as effective as the Pizfer if not more effective after the second dose. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

llien

FYI studies have shown that the Ox/AZ vax is just as effective as the Pizfer if not more effective after the second dose. 🤷🏻‍♂️
That is patently false.
64% is the figure claimed by 3rd phase studies of AZ (and that is from two injections, not one).
94% is the figure claimed by Biontech-Pfizer (and it's the former who developed it, and yes, that was in Germany) and later re-iterated by Israel.

6% chance of contracting virus vs 36%.

Last edited:

T8SC

Furlough support scheme to be extended until September

FFS.

More people applying to try and do everything possible to avoid going back to work whilst the sun is out through Spring & Summer. They WON'T be sat at home like the Gov seems to think.

The monster has been created.

GamingKaiju

That is patently false.
64% is the figure claimed by 3rd phase studies of AZ (and that is from two injections, not one).
94% is the figure claimed by Biontech-Pfizer (and it's the former who developed it, and yes, that was in Germany) and later re-iterated by Israel.

6% chance of contracting virus vs 36%.

Sorry I was referring to non peer reviewed study that was conducted in the U.K. puts both at around 60% after one dose the Pfizer does provide a tiny bit more efficacy this is against the B.1.1.7 (Kent variant) since it is now the dominant variant here in the U.K.

https://khub.net/documents/13593956...c-b255-8e88-c2dc-88979fc2cc1b?t=1614617945615

Not that it should matter since it’s good that we have access to both and more vaccines.

Jezbollah Jezbollah point was that certain political figures in the EU/member states had slated it by calling it ineffective and not suitable in over 65s when it is and now the these people are having to back track because they have made it political and were stupid for doing so because they have got poor uptake in taking any available vaccine.

Last edited:

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
That's not how it went in Germany with new cases.
Deaths curve naturally lags behind.
The spike started in October there, lockdown response started end of October, but cases didn't peak until around Dec. 24., with deaths trailing a bit behind that.

pel1300

Rogan says his two kids had covid and it was "nothing to them" and calls covid "just a bad cold". Says he moved to Texas partly because of how there was so little fear of covid there. Whereas in Los Angeles it is still viewed as the black plague.

It was the same for me being in Indonesia from March through July, where there was almost no fear of the virus. Then being in Mexico the past 6 months where there is almost no fear.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
France is still holding on, we ordered weekend lockdown in the south and the north, probably more regions will be announced tomorrow. Number of people in ICU is creeping up, but nothing crazy (also, people were losing their shit beginning of February screaming for the nationwide lockdown and nothing happened).

llien

Sorry I was referring to non peer reviewed study that was conducted in the U.K. puts both at around 60% after one dose the Pfizer does provide a tiny bit more efficacy this is against the B.1.1.7 (Kent variant) since it is now the dominant variant here in the U.K.
Single dose effect study in Israel, puts Biontech-Pfizer vaccine to 85% efficacy (published in Lancet, major medical journal), but that's not UK strain.

However, both mRNA vaccines have been claimed to be highly effective specifically against UK variant:

Not that it should matter since it’s good that we have access to both and more vaccines.
Agreed.

The spike started in October there, lockdown response started end of October, but cases didn't peak until around Dec. 24., with deaths trailing a bit behind that.
I could go to a barber shop back in Oct, no longer later on.
Those "full lockdowns" were changing over time.

One thing that got introduced just in January, was MANDATORY switch to FP2 masks.

Anyhow, it didn't seem to work too well against UK strain (i.e even when infection rates were down, UK strain infection rates were up) and now it stalled even against "common" strain.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Just to add another promising interim report of real-world vaccine data for both the Pfizer and AZ vaccines in the oldest patients with co-morbidities: https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-...d-shots-reduces-hospitalisation-idUSKBN2AV14K

Both are looking very good.
The findings, from an ongoing surveillance project funded by Pfizer and known as AvonCAP, found that one dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech shot, which began to be used in Britain on Dec. 8, 2020, was 71.4% effective from 14 days at preventing symptomatic illness severe enough to result in hospitalisation among patients with a median age of 87 years.

For the AstraZeneca vaccine, which began to be rolled out in Britain on Jan. 4, the results showed it was 80.4% effective by the same measures among patients with an average age of 88.

llien

So as of 9th of Feb Israel has vaccinated 58% of which about half with two doses.
Yet even today, they are at 3.5k infections a day and two dozen deaths.

At the same time they've confirmed Pfizer-Biontech's efficacy figures.

WTF

RqUnPvT.png

fposKci.png

Jezbollah

Got the text this afternoon. First vaccine jab for me is on a week Sunday.

Very surprised tbh - my sister who is 5 years older and has had a few health issues, and her husband who is a few years older than her havent had anything come through. They live in the same county yet under a different health authority.

FireFly

So as of 9th of Feb Israel has vaccinated 58% of which about half with two doses.
Yet even today, they are at 3.5k infections a day and two dozen deaths.

At the same time they've confirmed Pfizer-Biontech's efficacy figures.

WTF

If each person that catches the virus, on average, manages to pass it on to at least one unvaccinated person (or even a vaccinated one in the percentage of cases where transmission isn't stopped), cases will remain flat. The problem is that rolling out a vaccine itself can change people's behaviour to make them less likely to restrict social contact. Then whatever you gain in reduced transmission as a result of the vaccine, gets used up to enable more personal freedom. If case numbers are low, that's actually fine I think.

llien

Got confirmed case form Israel (friend's relative) of someone contracting the virus after 2 jabs.
Overall, no wonder, though, they said 94% and not 100% for a reason.

Perhaps it is time to compare, say, UK deaths per 1 million (worldofmeters as source):

to Japan deaths per 1 million:

And make some conclusions? 123k died in UK, less than 8k in Japan, Japan is roughly 2 times bigger.

bigsnack

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Got confirmed case form Israel (friend's relative) of someone contracting the virus after 2 jabs.
Overall, no wonder, though, they said 94% and not 100% for a reason.

Perhaps it is time to compare, say, UK deaths per 1 million (worldofmeters as source):

to Japan deaths per 1 million:

And make some conclusions? 123k died in UK, less than 8k in Japan, Japan is roughly 2 times bigger.
What’s your conclusion?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
That it is indeed possible to tackle the virus and number of deaths when that's not happening shows it's not a fake "panic".
I’m sorry, but I’m still confused by your sentence. I’m not sure what the comparison between the UK and Japan is for.

Jezbollah

It looks like we're starting to see the slow down in 1st jabs, speed up of 2nd jabs in the UK - something expected.

In addition, a huge increase of Antibody prevelence in the 70-84 age range, meaning the vaccines are really taking effect.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

Basically now Newsom is telling people "get vaccinated or else I'll never lift the lockdown".

Last edited:

Chaplain

Video: Lord Sumption: mass civil disobedience has begun (3/3/21)

Jonathan Sumption was once the epitome of the Establishment — a brilliant barrister who represented the Government in the Hutton enquiry, Supreme Court Justice, supporter of the Remain campaign and esteemed historian of the Hundred Years’ War. But then Covid happened. Over the past year, his unabashed criticism of lockdown policies has turned him into something of a renegade. It is development that mystifies him; as he sees it, his views have always been mainstream liberal, and it is the world around that has changed. In the course of our conversation, the retired judge doesn’t hold back. He asserts that it is becoming morally acceptable to ignore Covid regulations, and even warns that a campaign of “civil disobedience” has already begun.

Belgorim

Sweden has deadliest year since 1918
Your twitter link talks about mortality rates compared to previous 5 years, not number of deaths. I mean, 2012 (and pretty much every year before that was more deadly in Sweden when adjusting for population size).

And since Sweden had one of the lowest excess mortality rates in europe in 2020 I have no idea what point you are trying to make.

Last edited:

segasonic

Your twitter link talks about mortality rates compared to previous 5 years, not number of deaths. I mean, 2012 (and pretty much every year before that was more deadly in Sweden when adjusting for population size).

And since Sweden had one of the lowest excess mortality rates in europe in 2020 I have no idea what point you are trying to make.
In 2020 Sweden has had the highest excess mortality since 1918 aka Spanish Flu. How is this hard to understand?

Belgorim

In 2020 Sweden has had the highest excess mortality since 1918 aka Spanish Flu. How is this hard to understand?
I understand that perfectly, which you should probably have picked up from my post.

Your headline implied something else however and that was what I responded to.

No comments on the comparison to rest of Europe then?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Got my first dose yesterday of Pfizer. Only thing is sore arm. 2nd dose is supposed to be a little more severe with some mild chills maybe fever. Which I'm used to and have had before with other vaccines. If only I could fit that damn CDC card in my wallet. Will be handy for the foreseeable future, I'd imagine.

Last edited:

segasonic

I understand that perfectly, which you should probably have picked up from my post.

Your headline implied something else however and that was what I responded to.

No comments on the comparison to rest of Europe then?
My headline didn‘t imply something else excess mortality = deadliness.
Their overall mortality rate was still quite low. Meaning that it's not the deadliest year since 1918. I don't think you understand words.
This is related to Covid so why would I give a fuck about the average agf of Sweden‘s population or the quality of their healthcare system. This is exactly why excess mortality is used as a key figure and not overall mortality. And for this relevant key figure s opposed to your irrelevant one it was the deadliest year since 1918.

Got my first dose yesterday of Pfizer. Only thing is sore arm. 2nd dose is supposed to be a little more severe with some mild chills maybe fever. Which I'm used to and have had before with other vaccines. If only I could fit that damn CDC card in my wallet. Will be handy for the foreseeable future, I'd imagine.
I got my second dose of the Pfizer vaccine a little over a week ago. Other than a sore arm, I had no other side effects. Felt great afterwards. Which is different than my experience with the first dose where I had a mild headache and nothing else.

My sister-in-law, however, had to take the day off of work after her second shot. It completely zapped the energy out of her. But she was perfectly fine the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom