• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What other indicators of someone having immunity do we have? Nothing, but actually seeing people get or not get ill?

I'm way out of my specialty here, so maybe someone will correct me if I get this wrong, but I believe antibodies are generally only produced either as a result of a vaccine or as the result of an infection. They aren't constantly in the blood even if you still have some level of immunity.

For example, I was vaccinated for polio and believe I still have immunity to some degree, but I bet if you took a sample of my blood right now there would not be any poliovirus antibodies present.

Ascend

Leaving this here as general info;

Immunoglobulins play a key role in the body's immune system. They are proteins produced by specific immune cells called plasma cells in response to bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms as well as exposures to other substances that are recognized by the body as "non-self" harmful antigens.

The first time a person is infected or otherwise exposed to a foreign substance (antigen), their immune system recognizes the microorganism or substance as "non-self" and stimulates plasma cells to produce specific immunoglobulin(s), also called antibodies, that can bind to and neutralize the threat. With subsequent exposures, the immune system "remembers" the antigen that was encountered, which allows for the rapid production of more antibodies and, in the case of microorganisms, helps prevent re-infection.

Immunoglobulin G (IgG) – About 70-80% of the immunoglobulins in the blood are IgG. Specific IgG antibodies are produced during an initial infection or other antigen exposure, rising a few weeks after it begins, then decreasing and stabilizing. The body retains a catalog of IgG antibodies that can be rapidly reproduced whenever exposed to the same antigen. IgG antibodies form the basis of long-term protection against microorganisms. In those with a normal immune system, sufficient IgG is produced to prevent re-infection. Vaccinations use this process to prevent initial infections and add to the catalog of IgG antibodies, by exposing a person to a weakened, live microorganism or to an antigen that stimulates recognition of the microorganism. IgG is the only immunoglobulin that can pass through the placenta. The mother's IgG antibodies provide protection to the fetus during pregnancy and to the baby during its first few months of life. There are four subclasses of IgG: IgG1, IgG2, IgG3, and IgG4.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
4,249 deaths in Brazil today.

We're completely fucked.

I think the US is the current world record holder at 4,490 in a single day. Not that this is a competition, of course!

I was thinking today...what is Zoom going to do when the pandemic is over?

They will be fine. I think a lot of huge companies, especially in tech, are going to much more flexible in terms of working from home, so Zoom meetings will still be the default (at first at least).

I'm guessing they will lose a lot of contracts with schools and stuff, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the US is the current world record holder at 4,490 in a single day. Not that this is a competition, of course!

They will be fine. I think a lot of huge companies, especially in tech, are going to much more flexible in terms of working from home, so Zoom meetings will still be the default (at first at least).

I'm guessing they will lose a lot of contracts with schools and stuff, though.
Yeah but you guys have ~100M more people in your country.

S sinnergy what the fuck is so funny in my post?

llien

I'm way out of my specialty here, so maybe someone will correct me if I get this wrong, but I believe antibodies are generally only produced either as a result of a vaccine or as the result of an infection. They aren't constantly in the blood even if you still have some level of immunity.

For example, I was vaccinated for polio and believe I still have immunity to some degree, but I bet if you took a sample of my blood right now there would not be any poliovirus antibodies present.

I see.
No expert either, but I am aware of 2 mechanisms used by our (amazing) immunte system:
1) Anti-bodies - cells that (our body has figured) kill the invaders
2) T-Cells - sort of alarm beacons, trained to see invasions of certain kind, when "seeing' known threat, trigger generation of anti-bodies

4,249 deaths in Brazil today.

We're completely fucked.

Brazil is at 1616 deaths per 1M population.
Which makes it just #19 in the world.
US and many European countries did worse so far.

llien

Number of vaccinations roughly doubled in Germany for the last two days (670-720 thousands).
Not sure why, but most obvious reason would be more jabs are available.

17 million vaccinations have been carried out so far.
At 700k per day, DE would get to about 60 million vaccinations in 2 months (so about 40 million who got fully vaccinated with two jabs, roughly half of the population)

Ascend

There are Pfizer vaccine shortages apparently, so here we are going to switch to Moderna, which is supposedly the same, despite requiring a 50°C+ delta for proper storage...

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Anyone get the J&J shot? I don’t want to turn into a lizard person and I don’t know anyone who has gotten this one. The site near me is only offering that. There’s a site further away that offers Pfizer but it’s also a month longer to wait.

llien

There are Pfizer vaccine shortages apparently, so here we are going to switch to Moderna, which is supposedly the same, despite requiring a 50°C+ delta for proper storage...
Moderna's injections are twice the volume and (perhaps that's why) tend to cause heavier reactions.

But there was never either or, Germany alone expects 50 million Moderna jabs (100 Pfizers) afaik.

Hulk_Smash

Banned

That's the BEST our medical "experts" can come up with? THAT? Go to med school for 8 years and you can't think of a way to allow loved ones to come into your hospital and see their dying friends and relatives and to come see them safely, so instead they fill a glove with water and call it "the hand of God"? It's not the hand of God, it's the hand of fear. The hand of deception, maybe.

It's horrifying that people think this could even be considered an adequate substitute to the real thing. When my mother died I was holding her hand when they took her off the machine was the last intimate and GOOD memory I have of her.

Last edited:
Makes me want to dig my heels in even more and not get a vaccine.

I'm with just about everything you post in here, I think you're a bright guy with realistic, non alarmist perspectives. But on this one if you're not joking that would be ill advised. Not taking the vaccine because its your body and maybe you don't trust it is a little unfounded at this point with the mass rollout but hey I get it to each his own. Refusing it out of spite or contrarianism would be unwise though. We're all in this battle together. Its not even lockdown crowd vs anti lockdown crowd. Its the human race vs Coronavirus. And the vaccines are our tanks and M16's ya know?

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I'm with just about everything you post in here, I think you're a bright guy with realistic, non alarmist perspectives. But on this one if you're not joking that would be ill advised. Not taking the vaccine because its your body and maybe you don't trust it is a little unfounded at this point with the mass rollout but hey I get it to each his own. Refusing it out of spite or contrarianism would be unwise though. We're all in this battle together. Its not even lockdown crowd vs anti lockdown crowd. Its the human race vs Coronavirus. And the vaccines are our tanks and M16's ya know?
Blaming me for the rise of the cost of healthcare for other people with nothing but conjecture and NO PROOF is not going to convince me to get jabbed. And to make it a requirement for jobs or travel makes me want to get it even less (see the post above this one). Your one little paragraph was far more reasonable and persuasive than that entire article and it was written by a professional journalist.

By the time I need one we will have reached herd immunity.

Last edited:

T8SC

A lot of people in the UK will have the final day of their "2021 holiday" tomorrow.

Therefore our national anthem is going to be either:

Or

:messenger_blowing_kiss:

Ascend

tl;dw
Make sure your Vitamin D levels are ok, because it can help to prevent you getting severe effects from Covid, possibly even the vaccines.

Ellery

I do not follow US media that much, but is the narrative there that this has to do with anything other than vaccine shortages for other regions?

Lmao. It is the USA we are talking about. As you can see for the guy in the tweet all he is focused on is the american curve that goes up brrrrt and not africa.

There is good news to be made and patting yourself on the shoulder. Can't miss that.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Forgive us the vaccine victory lap - up until the first Tues. in November, virtually all American media coverage of the pandemic was premised on the US response being uniquely terrible.

Slaylock

350.png

Just snagged an appointment for my first shot of Pfizer tomorrow afternoon. Walgreens seems to be throwing bunches of appointments out there randomly each week. I’m the last in my family bubble to get vaccinated so we can ditch these fucking masks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Lmao. It is the USA we are talking about. As you can see for the guy in the tweet all he is focused on is the american curve that goes up brrrrt and not africa.

There is good news to be made and patting yourself on the shoulder. Can't miss that.

Yeah, I'd say the country could do with some good news. And why wouldn't the United States prioritize itself over the entire continent of Africa given the situation? The only country that got hit somewhat hard there is South Africa at 53,000 deaths (890 per 1 million population). The entire continent, which has around 1.34 BILLION people, has only 115,000 deaths according to the official numbers. Meanwhile the United States, with its population of 330 million has 575,000 deaths (1,740 per 1 million population). 1 billion fewer people and 460,000 more deaths, or 25% percent the population and 80% more deaths to put it another way.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the intent of your post.

Ellery

Yeah, I'd say the country could do with some good news. And why wouldn't the United States prioritize itself over the entire continent of Africa given the situation? The only country that got hit somewhat hard there is South Africa at 53,000 deaths (890 per 1 million population). The entire continent, which has around 1.34 BILLION people, has only 115,000 deaths according to the official numbers. Meanwhile the United States, with its population of 330 million has 575,000 deaths (1,740 per 1 million population). 1 billion fewer people and 460,000 more deaths, or 25% percent the population and 80% more deaths to put it another way.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding the intent of your post.
All good no worries. I usually mean no ill intent with my posts.

Sometimes it is very hard to describe what america(ns) look like to foreigners. It is the current empire of the world and if I were in a position like that I would do the same.

I guess most people would lie if they said they would prefer if poorer countries without the purchasing power of the US could get vaccines on that scale since everyone wants it for themselves and I can't exclude myself in that.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thanks for the share. Yeah, I just can't wrap my head around the idea of someone taking a vaccine after having been infected and already having recovered.

The vaccine has an efficacy rate of over 90%, meaning your immune system will be informed about how to fight this virus specifically. How to stop it from clinging onto other cells, and how to kill it. Just because one's immune system fought the virus off once doesn't mean it will know how to in the event of a second infection a year or two down the road.

Long of the short, get vaccinated. If they need to create new vaccines each year to address mutations / new strains then get them too - just like we do with influenza.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The vaccine has an efficacy rate of over 90%, meaning your immune system will be informed about how to fight this virus specifically.

How does it do that when none of the vaccines in active distribution use anything from this specific virus?

It seems absolutely absurd to me that anyone would claim a vaccine which uses nothing from the actual virus could provide superior immunity to the natural immunity one gains from being infected and recovering from the disease caused by the virus (not that I'm recommending people go out of there way to do that...).

If it comes back next year in a mutated form or as COVID-21, then sure, it makes sense for someone who recovered from COVID-19 to consider the vaccine, but otherwise... I'm not getting the argument at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom