• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluntman

Astra update first night and the day after...

I'm rekt. Fever, shivering, muscle pain, general shitness.

But it's pretty common and it should be fine by tomorrow. I was in bed all day, drinking tea, trying to sleep it off, recovering.

The second shot is mid july and it should be fine, while with Pfizer usually the second that makes you feel crap.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Just wanted to vent but things are fucked in india. Now my 3 of relatives, 2 mutual friends and almost 6 acquaintance are hospitalized where beds aren't available, oxygen supply isn't there, national Covid helpline is not responding in some states, all the while India is struggling to make/buy vaccines.

And my office is still open. I must be extremely lucky.

Bluntman

Just wanted to vent but things are fucked in india. Now my 3 of relatives, 2 mutual friends and almost 6 acquaintance are hospitalized where beds aren't available, oxygen supply isn't there, national Covid helpline is not responding in some states, all the while India is struggling to make/buy vaccines.

I read you guys have the biggest vaccine factory in the world tho!? How is vaccination going?

Shubh_C63

I read you guys have the biggest vaccine factory in the world tho!? How is vaccination going?
Slow.
According to news they just announced anyone above 30 is now eligible and can register for vaccine but there are no vaccines. I did read they started buying from Russian and trying to talk to US to unblock lab equipment (stuff) when Biden imposed war law back in Feb.

The factory is situated near Mumbai but there's just too many people. Ha.

Jezbollah

India's population density would mean community spread would be nearly impossible to deal with, let alone to successfully lock down. Horrific situation.

Jezbollah

This is why you stop fucking around and JUST VACCINATE (and allow yourself three weeks after the vaccination for immunity to build up).

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned

This is why you stop fucking around and JUST VACCINATE (and allow yourself three weeks after the vaccination for immunity to build up).

How about the people who would end up in the hospital get vaccinated. M’kay? I had COVID. Didn’t go to the hospital. Not getting the vaccine.

llien

Germany now has AZs for people who do not belong to the "priority" gorups. UPDATE: nope, misinformation, sorry about that.

How about the people who would end up in the hospital get vaccinated. M’kay? I had COVID. Didn’t go to the hospital. Not getting the vaccine.
Vaccines definitely didn't work better than I've imagined neither in US, nor in Israel.
They do in UK.

Germans figured Pfizer-Biontech jab doesn't seem to produce anti-bodies in 30% of 85+ olds, second weeks after second jab.
It doesn't mean it has no effect though, there could also be T-cells, but it is pretty damning.

Oh, and 3 cases in the elderly house in my little town, all 3 had 2 jabs.

But then, they say 94% not 100% for a reason. (figure is likely much lower among very old)

It was Trump who was "stupid" enough to throw billions at mRNA vaccines (we have had exactly ZERO mRNA vaccines against ANYTHING before that).
It was also Trump who "without evidence (c) WSJ" has stated that by April 2021 US would have enough doses for entire adult population.

my
/respect
for Trumpkin!

Curious part is that mRNAs are actually easier to manufacture (bar that pesky "super low termperatures" part)

Last edited:

llien

That doesn't sound absurd to me.
I was in France in summer 2020, on paper it had stricter rules than Germany, but not at all in practice.

It is, of course, problematic, on the other hand, as "do lockdowns help" now becomes an unfalsifiable theory.

Last edited:

llien

angry clint eastwood GIF

Hulk_Smash

Banned
My governor in North Carolina just announced that all restrictions will be lifted June 1st. FINALLY! The amount of relief I feel that I am not gonna have to deal with that shit any more. I get to plan my summer with total freedom. Makes the next 6 weeks a breeze.

My guess is he was waiting for a certain threshold of people vaccinated before lifting restrictions. He should have said that from the beginning! It would have motivated people to get vaccinated faster.

Anyway, I’m throwing a big ass party June 1st to celebrate.

Feeling cute. Might burn some masks, I don’t know.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
You should have natural immunity. You don't really need it.
Yes, I know. But I’ve had people IRL tell me to get one anyway. Which is fucking stupid. Anyway, I’m never getting the vaccine. There is no reason for me to get it when everyone else around me that needs it has the vacc.

Yes, I know. But I’ve had people IRL tell me to get one anyway. Which is fucking stupid. Anyway, I’m never getting the vaccine. There is no reason for me to get it when everyone else around me that needs it has the vacc.
People who have gotten infected and gettin the vaccine are kinda wasting it in my opinion.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
found out I have covid today. was going to book a vax appointment next week, so close to making it through.

hilarious.
Eh. Look on the bright side. You get a two week staycation that no one will question and you get natural immunity. No need for the needle now.

Of course the whole getting sick thing sucks. Hopefully you won't end up with a cough that lasts for 6 weeks like I did.

My governor in North Carolina just announced that all restrictions will be lifted June 1st. FINALLY! The amount of relief I feel that I am not gonna have to deal with that shit any more. I get to plan my summer with total freedom. Makes the next 6 weeks a breeze.

My guess is he was waiting for a certain threshold of people vaccinated before lifting restrictions. He should have said that from the beginning! It would have motivated people to get vaccinated faster.

Anyway, I’m throwing a big ass party June 1st to celebrate.

Feeling cute. Might burn some masks, I don’t know.

Damn I'm jealous of hearing that, living here in Michigan feels like restrictions will never end. We still have 50% capacity at restaurants, mask mandates practically everywhere, and NONE of the fast food places offer dine in. I understand things are bad here now but even before our recent surge there really wasn't much optimism of lifting all restrictions here. I'm fully vaxxed and ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor but walking around now without a mask really makes you stand out as some kinda covid leper.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Damn I'm jealous of hearing that, living here in Michigan feels like restrictions will never end. We still have 50% capacity at restaurants, mask mandates practically everywhere, and NONE of the fast food places offer dine in. I understand things are bad here now but even before our recent surge there really wasn't much optimism of lifting all restrictions here. I'm fully vaxxed and ready to enjoy the fruits of my labor but walking around now without a mask really makes you stand out as some kinda covid leper.
That’s the way it is here right now. I’m the only one in most places without a mask on but I just made up my mind that I wasn’t going to wear one and I’m not going to feel weird about it. It took awhile, now I look at everyone else as if they’re the insane ones.

it’s funny. The more confident I am in not wearing it and politely refusing them when they offer one to me, the less likely they are to challenge me on it.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have my second inoculation scheduled. I hope the second dose doesn't hit me hard like it has some people. I should make some preparations in case I get bed stricken for a day or two.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I can't imagine how bad it is in india right now.. major hospitals have run out entirely of oxygen, two patients to a bed, I don't see anyone with an n95. fuck me, everyone count your blessings

Shubh_C63

I am legit scared this time. My family resides in Lucknow.
News reports from across India suggest that a combination of poor testing and a health system that is inundated by the crush of those sickened by the virus has meant that counting Covid deaths accurately remains a struggle even a year into the health crisis.

Read more: The Whole World Has a Covid-19 Problem in India: Macro View

Not capturing death data accurately “creates the misconception that media is showcasing anecdotal cases and the overall situation is under control,” said Himanshu Sikka, the chief strategy officer, health at IPE Global, a development consulting firm. “This damages future preparations and measures needed for a possible third wave.”

Data Vs Cremations

In Lucknow, the capital city of India’s most populous state of Uttar Pradesh, the official number of Covid deaths between April 11 to April 16 stood at 145. However, just two of the city’s main crematoriums reported more than 430 or three times as many cremations under Covid-19 protocol in that period, according to eyewitnesses and workers, who asked not to be named because they weren’t authorized to speak to reporters. This doesn’t account for burials or funerals at other smaller cremation grounds in the city.

Funeral pyres burn on the Gomti riverfront in Lucknow on April 15.

Photographer: Deepak Gupta/Hindustan Times/Getty Images

When a Lucknow resident, who asked not to be named, reached one of the main crematoriums with the body of a family friend on Monday morning he was told they could set up the funeral pyre anywhere they could find space. Even so, it took over three hours to find a spot that was far away enough to tolerate the heat emanating from the other burning bodies.

He was not allowed to use the electric furnace set aside for virus deaths because the dead man didn’t have a report showing he’d tested positive for the virus even though he had a doctor’s prescription for Covid-19 treatment. No relatives could attend the funeral as they had all tested positive and were under home isolation.

After the patient died in a city hospital, the staff wrapped the body in the protective kits used for Covid-19 deaths. The majority of the nearly 50 bodies the Lucknow citizen saw arriving in the four hours he spent at the crematorium were wrapped the same way but were not cremated in the virus-only electric furnace, he said. That likely meant their deaths weren’t attributed to Covid.

In the industrial city of Surat, located in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s home state of Gujarat, the head of a trust that runs crematoriums said at least 100 bodies have been brought in each day for the last 10 days, wrapped in the Covid-mandated protective covering. Surat’s municipal body on April 19 reported only 28 virus deaths.

“Structures within the furnace, like the metal frames and the chimney, are melting and falling apart,” Kamlesh Sailor said. “Repairing it and keeping it going is a challenge, but we have no other way, bodies will have to be disposed of as quickly as possible.”

“The figure of deaths is dynamic, difficult to reconcile from plain reading,” said Navneet Sehgal, additional chief secretary of the Uttar Pradesh government. “No one is trying to hide Covid-19 deaths. Some of the deaths in Lucknow which are included as deaths because of Covid-19 are actually normal deaths which would have been counted wrongly.”

There was no immediate comment from the spokesperson of the Gujarat government.

Sanjeev Gupta, a freelance photojournalist in the central city of Bhopal, said he has consistently witnessed 80 to 120 bodies being cremated each day last week at just one of the city’s three cremation centers set aside for Covid cases. The official virus death numbers for the district were below 10 each day. According to news reports, the state government said the deaths were “suspected Covid” but couldn’t be confirmed because of a shortage of testing kits and lab facilities.

Jezbollah

I can't imagine how bad it is in india right now.. major hospitals have run out entirely of oxygen, two patients to a bed, I don't see anyone with an n95. fuck me, everyone count your blessings

I strongly suspect what you see in India is only 10-20% of the real picture. They simply do not have the capability to test or treat their vast population.

Reactions: Gp1

llien

Makes me wonder why the most recent waves are so much more devastating.

Just checked the stats for Germany, from the end of April 2020 until end of September 2020 we had well under 2k infections a day, for the most of the summer, even under 500.

PS
Indian authorities fucked up big time.
A whopping year to prepare.
World #1 traditional vaccine manufacturing capacity.

Every country on earth needs to block all flights to and from India like now. Seriously.

Or at least require negative tests and quarantine.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
cheers.

so far, it just feels like a bad chest cold with a dry cough. bored AF tho.
day 12-18 was worst for me. keep that in mind. i was convinced at day 10 that I was almost out of it after working through it and stopped doing the right things (drinking hot liquids, sleeping in a way that the shit doesnt drip into my lungs) but then a few days later my feet were going numb, resting heart rate 115bpm, etc I don't think I was in any danger but I wasn't able to exercise for about 8 months because of the effect it had on my heart (now healed)

llien

For starters, it's not 1 in million complication rate (31 severe cases, 9 dead out of 2.6 million vaccinated).
Then, among dead are people in age/health condition that is basically not dying from covid.

And I'm not sure about what answer I'd give to "shouldn't we still kill a handful of younger people, so that we can save more oldies". It depends.

Raven117

What I don't understand is how India kept it under control for so long then...BOOM, all of a sudden. Any explanation for this?

BigBooper

Got my second covid shot about two hours ago. I have a feeling this weekend's gonna suck. Already feeling a headache and increased pressure in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom