• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse Party: Blood Drive |OT| Not the Red Cross You Were Expecting

Thud

Got back in this game today. Finished chapter 4, urgh that swimming part took a while.

I have a question about extra chapters. When is it a good time playing thosr? Can I play the ones I unlocked now or is it better to leave it for after the main story?

Prelude.

Got back in this game today. Finished chapter 4, urgh that swimming part took a while.

I have a question about extra chapters. When is it a good time playing thosr? Can I play the ones I unlocked now or is it better to leave it for after the main story?
As you unlock them, yes.

Still trying to find where to watch the corpse party movie. Even if it ends up being terrible I still wanna see it. I have only found one listing for a dvd on ebay for sixty bucks. WTF that's high. Also it doesn't even have subtitles. What dvd in this century doesn't have English subtitles?

Dugna

Still trying to find where to watch the corpse party movie. Even if it ends up being terrible I still wanna see it. I have only found one listing for a dvd on ebay for sixty bucks. WTF that's high. Also it doesn't even have subtitles. What dvd in this century doesn't have English subtitles?

a very niche release that is even niche in its origin country....also the blood and guts in the movie is hilarious from the trailers I've seen.

Just finished (Platinum).

I have to say, overall I found it quite disappointing, which is frustrating given that I greatly enjoyed the first Corpse Party, and to a lesser extent, Book of Shadows.

Unfortunately, much of it has to do with technical issues and gameplay design. The framerate is generally horrible, and stutters non-stop, especially when using the flashlight. The loading is atrocious, especially since it occurs every time you pause/bring up the menu (bringing back painful memories of Final Fantasy Anthology/Chronicles on PSOne). Regarding the gameplay, the inclusion of obstacles is frustrating, not challenging or scary. The chasing shadows are equally as frustrating, and are only interesting from a plot perspective (which is only mentioned at the end).

Honestly, I felt that the plot was unnecessary; the Heavenly Host story was self-contained and resolved, for the most part. Book of Shadows expanded on some plot points and added new perspective. To make a poor analogy, Blood Drive is like the Matrix sequels, expanding the scope to something that is less intimate, more bombastic, and IMO less interesting (and less scary); a bit deus ex machina. The new characters sure don't help, with their fairly ridiculous designs, constant swearing and misplaced sexual characterization (Kuon toward Satoshi, Magari's outfit). I guess that's a prudish complaint, but it just seems so out-of-place compared to previous games (notwithstanding Seiko and her pooper).

Granted, there were some positive aspects. The voice acting is great, as per the past games, and the localization is top-notch. The numerous "Wrong Ends" are at least on par with previous entries, with some excellent descriptions. And, for all the negativity I heaped on the new characters and plot, I quite liked the story arc of both Ayumi and Aiko.

This game runs like an absolute fucking ass in some areas and whenever I use flashlight. It almost makes me regret buying this game.

Just picked up the Everafter Edition. Holy shit, you get alot of bang for your buck here. That artbook and OST are amazing.

Once I finish Book of Shadows I'll be jumping into this.

UberTag

Just picked up the Everafter Edition. Holy shit, you get alot of bang for your buck here. That artbook and OST are amazing.

Once I finish Book of Shadows I'll be jumping into this.
Be sure to share your impressions when you do. The final chapter of Book of Shadows is essentially your Blood Drive prologue.

atomsk

Party Pooper
one of these days I'll get back to playing this... the technical issues really put me off (not so much the framerate, but the loading to get into the damn menu)

Top Bottom