• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corpse Party Book of Shadows Coming next Week

Avallon

$19.99 Vita Compatible at launch

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013...k-of-shadows-is-coming-and-it-knows-no-mercy/

Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Gt8ciLcyr1Y

8358092251_155852a55f_o.png

8358092275_9b297fccc5_o.png

mclem

I somehow managed to read the title as "Corpse Party Book of Spells", making me think it was a Wonderbook title. From there, my mind went in... interesting directions.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I stopped playing the first one after that part where you have to avoid getting caught by some monster in some tiny room, because I died like 4 times and had to skip through a mountain of dialogue to get back to where I was. Fucking hated that.

Does this game have anything like that? Because I really liked everything about the original, aside from the dreadful gameplay.

I stopped playing the first one after that part where you have to avoid getting caught by some monster in some tiny room, because I died like 4 times and had to skip through a mountain of dialogue to get back to where I was. Fucking hated that.

Does this game have anything like that? Because I really liked everything about the original, aside from the dreadful gameplay.

One of my biggest pet peeves in games. Having to run through large unskippable cutscenes/walls-of-text after dying.

sublimit

Banned
I still haven't even touched the first one even though it's more than a year since i bought it.But it's nice that this one is coming too.If the first one is as good as i heard it is then i'll definitely get this one too.

Yeah, I'll purchase this. I hope the audio is as good as the first game. Playing that in a dark room with headphones on was creepy as hell.

Danny Dudekisser

One of my biggest pet peeves in games. Having to run through large unskippable cutscenes/walls-of-text after dying.

The thing is, though, I wouldn't mind so much if I made the wrong choices and died because of that, but I was getting killed because of the clumsy RPG Maker controls. Visual novels invariably involve skipping through some text when you get a bad end, so that's to be expected.

Danny Dudekisser

Actually, it looks like they ditched RPG Maker. Ahhh fuck it. Game looks rad and I love a good VN. I'll buy it.

And soon we can join the agonizing wait for Corpse Party 2.

I think it's only been announced for PC in Japan.

If I was stupidly optimistic, maybe XSeed will have a good relationship with Steam by then.

Arelaz

Is this a direct sequel to the first game?

Also, there was one tiny room with a ghost that you weren't supposed to go into

Is this a direct sequel to the first game?

Also, there was one tiny room with a ghost that you weren't supposed to go into
This game is a continuation of one of the alternate "bad" endings.

Specifically
the one where everyone is transported back in time to when they were doing the ritual, and... Satoshi (?) is the only one who keeps his memories. Supposedly this game is the canon one that the full-on sequel will follow.

Also there are many rooms with many ghosts that you're not supposed to go into. Are you stuck? I love the game to death (har har) but it's borderline unplayable with a spoiler-free FAQ.

tizoc said:
I'd be down for a Corpse Party bundle of 1+2, which needs to be in Greenlight like NOW.
I would personally pay for that submission fee.

Necrovex

Specifically
the one where everyone is transported back in time to when they were doing the ritual, and... Satoshi (?) is the only one who keeps his memories. Supposedly this game is the canon one that the full-on sequel will follow.

Also there are many rooms with many ghosts that you're not supposed to go into. Are you stuck? I love the game to death (har har) but it's borderline unplayable with a spoiler-free FAQ.

I would personally pay for that submission fee.

I recall not picking up all of the notes during the final chapter, and I was stuck at that alternative bad ending. Had to reboot my Act V save file!

I am happy it is going with that ending though. I was not a big fan of the true ending in the original Corpse Party.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I picked up Corpse Party day 1 and have never played past the end of the first chapter because it scares me too much :-s

picking this up day 1 regardless just to support it

t26

You have to ability to save anytime in this game (even during cutscenes).

Hellraider

God dammit I want this! Why did my psp have to break? This looks like it corrects the previous game's problems so can't not get excited!

Lusankya

That's not an issue anymore.

From the official website:

"Classic point-and-click gameplay enhances the series' rich atmosphere
More realistically-proportioned and immersive first-person environments with ending routes based solely on player decisions eliminate reliance on reflexes over strategy."

"Text-skipping, fast-forward and save-anywhere features minimize repetition
Players caught by "wrong ends" can easily redo whatever actions may have damned them by skipping and fast-forwarding through any scene in the game, as well as keeping ample saves on hand at crucial turning points (even if they're in the middle of conversations)."

Foxix Von

Hmmmm I like the first game but I still haven't quite beaten it yet. $20 is too steep for me for what this kind of game is. Will snag eventually maybe if/when it has a sale.

Huddy

Does this have any Vita bells and whistles or is it simply a PSP title that works on Vita using the emulator?

Varion

No it isn't. The true end of the original is still the true end.

Basically there are three kinds of chapters in this:
1) The alternate universe ones based off that bad end. These aren't canon in themselves, but they develop the characters that didn't get much development in the original and do throw in some bits of plot here and there.

2) Backstory chapters. These show events that happened before the original game, and naturally these are canon. There's a bunch of new information in them too.

3. The final chapter and the intro, which both take place after the original's true end.

Day 1!.... if I had the money -_- More like day 7 or so. Cursed paycheck already being claimed.

Seriously glad xSeed is bringing this out, I honestly figured this late in the PSP life cycle that it was going to get passed over.

Sushigod7

I finished Chapter 2 in the original and and stopped. I was a little bored and kind of disappointed with the lack of gruesome scenes. XSeed kept talking about how crazy it was. I did enjoy the dialog though pretty great translation and the sound was amazing. Playing with headphones at night did make me jump once or twice.

Venfayth

Have actually been interested in Corpse Party for a while. Should I play the first game first? Seems like it, reading the description of this game.

No it isn't. The true end of the original is still the true end.

Basically there are three kinds of chapters in this:
Oh jeez, I'm corrected. Something for everyone!

I'm glad for the return of the extra chapters. Some of them were really interesting, particularly the one where
the two psychopaths met each other

Bades

Neo Member
Looks like I'll finally have to belly up to the bar and playthrough the first one. It's only been sitting on my Vita since it's sale. The premise interests me.

Varion

Have actually been interested in Corpse Party for a while. Should I play the first game first? Seems like it, reading the description of this game.
Definitely, the game assumes you've played the original. I suppose you could see it as a set of short stories and still enjoy it, but it feels a lot less coherent as a single game than the original did because it's more of a supplementary thing. Also it reveals one of the original's biggest twists right from the beginning because it assumes you already know it.

Shahed

Still need to get around to the first one! I believe it's £8.99 at the moment or thereabouts so I'll pick it up soon

Alec

Holy shit, somehow I hadn't heard that Book of Shadows was getting a localization.

And it's coming in a week?! Hell yes.

creid

Man, I probably would've loaded this up on my Vita, but if it reads the original game's save file then I will probably stick it on the PSP. I guess at least I'll make good use of my soon-to-be-useless memory stick.

Any good recap of the first game up anywhere? I need a refresher.

Danny Dudekisser

More realistically-proportioned and immersive first-person environments with ending routes based solely on player decisions eliminate reliance on reflexes over strategy."

Players caught by "wrong ends" can easily redo whatever actions may have damned them by skipping and fast-forwarding through any scene in the game, as well as keeping ample saves on hand at crucial turning points (even if they're in the middle of conversations)."

Oh, fantastic. Well in that case, it's day 1 for me. Gotta support visual novels coming to the US, especially when they're good.

kunonabi

so doing specific actions in ass specific order is no longer mandatory? Good to hear since I hated that stuff in the first one and clock tower ghost head.

Top Bottom