• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Corrected: Liberal beliefs are linked to psychoticism, not conservative

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
A political-science journal that published an oft-cited study claiming conservatives were more likely to show traits associated with “psychoticism” now says it got it wrong. Very wrong.

The American Journal of Political Science published a correction this year saying that the 2012 paper has “an error” — and that liberal political beliefs, not conservative ones, are actually linked to psychoticism.

“The interpretation of the coding of the political attitude items in the descriptive and preliminary analyses portion of the manuscript was exactly reversed,” the journal said in the startling correction.

“The descriptive analyses report that those higher in Eysenck’s psychoticism are more conservative, but they are actually more liberal; and where the original manuscript reports those higher in neuroticism and social desirability are more liberal, they are, in fact, more conservative.”

In the paper, psychoticism is associated with traits such as tough-mindedness, risk-taking, sensation-seeking, impulsivity and authoritarianism.

The social-desirability scale measures people’s tendency to answer questions in ways they believe would please researchers, even if it means overestimating their positive characteristics and underestimating negative ones.

The erroneous report has been cited 45 times, according to Thomson Reuters Web of Science.

Oct 26, 2018
In the paper, psychoticism is associated with traits such as tough-mindedness, risk-taking, sensation-seeking, impulsivity and authoritarianism.
Sounds like a hard core liberal to me.

The researchers forget to add physical traits like: Loud, dyed hair, unemployable, and has a nose ring ratio vs. republicans at about 999:1

lol

Last edited:

Madonis

Oct 21, 2018
The journal said the error doesn’t change the main conclusions of the paper, which found that “personality traits do not cause people to develop political attitudes.”
It would be nice to, you know, read the full paper or at least its conclusions first.

Feb 22, 2018
China
While it does make sense that american style liberals are more likely to have mental problems (eg. most homosexuals/trannies are liberal and statistically batshit insane), I don't know why so much stock is put into fake 'social science'. These studies simply aren't scientific.

Last edited:
Reactions: AFreekinKing

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England
Well I'm not surprised, but saying that I was the equivelelant of a woke SJW myself back in 2012 and thought the exact same thing when it said it was conservatives that were nuts, so yay for confirmation bias?

Reactions: AFreekinKing

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
England
You are saying that the illness can be cured? That is good news.
Well I'm here due to being excommunicated for the heresy of questioning why women with large breasts are offensive and sexist, so at least they're self quarantining and doing their best not to breed.

It might not be a cure, but it is at least a problem that seems to solve itself.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: desertdroog

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I bet that if it was given some diligent investigation, some big-brains could distill down which "liberal beliefs" are linked to psychoticism. And I expect those "liberal beliefs" would not be inherently "liberal" at all but would have a lot in common with the same "conservative beliefs" that were previously linked to psychoticism. I'll take a further bet that the exact beliefs would have something to do with moral authoritarianism and collectivism (i.e. placing your hopes on the shoulders of The Party or The Church).

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Miku Miku

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
I bet that if it was given some diligent investigation, some big-brains could distill down which "liberal beliefs" are linked to psychoticism. And I expect those "liberal beliefs" would not be inherently "liberal" at all but would have a lot in common with the same "conservative beliefs" that were previously linked to psychoticism. I'll take a further bet that the exact beliefs would have something to do with moral authoritarianism and collectivism (i.e. placing your hopes on the shoulders of The Party or The Church).
That's a really good way to put it. SJWs seem psychotic to me too, but I don't really remember any SJWs before 2012. I don't equate SJWs with "liberal." They're on the left, unfortunately, but liberal is a much broader term than SJW is. Antifa and SJWs do seem psychotic to me too!

EDIT: And also, even if you're mentally ill and struggling through it as best as you can, like say the first 90% of the movie, The Joker, then you are probably also more likely to be liberal. You probably would be poor, not have a great job, possibly get government assistance for something, and typically the left supports funding that kind of assistance more than the right. Even a rational person trying to treat psychosis with medication could find ways to intelligently be liberal for actual real reasons. I'd have to read the paper to find out what they truly use to define "psychosis."

Last edited: