• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cory Barlog Wants to Tell the Story Kratos & Faye Meeting, New Interview Reveals

Mista

Banned

PlayStation Access has just published a new interview with Sony Santa Monica and God of War director Cory Barlog. The hour-long video details Barlog’s career in the games industry, from starting out to directing one of the PS4’s most successful games. One of the key takeaways specific to the future of the series which caught my attention is that Barlog’s conveys his desire to explore the origins of Kratos and his wife Faye’s (Laufey) relationship

“Faye was the one I identified with the most,” Barlog explains as he recalls because not having the opportunity to be there during his son’s early childhood. He actually describes his wife’s role as being more like Kratos in the sense that his wife has been there guiding his child from such a young age.

He then goes on to say that later in God of War “you get to understand that she (Faye) has way more power than all of them and is actually the controller of so much in this universe. That way when we build this up to when you actually get to see this, and I hope… I don’t know how we’re going tell this or when we’re going to tell this, but I really want to tell the story of Kratos and Faye meeting.”

Watch it, it's a great interview.

Fake

Probably for the sequel, but I really want far beyond this. After Kratos kill himself at the moment he came to Midgard.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
A playable flashback of Kratos and Faye fighting side by side would be great

Last edited:

BatSu

Please Cory... Do IT !

EIoMlDeWkAMKo3t

LordOfChaos

It would kinda be cool if this was the next full game, before GoW5. Then certain possibly events transpiring in 5 would have more impact.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm not saying side characters don't matter but we play God of War for Kratos, if the game was Faye of War gamers would actually run away from the series.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed both old and new style God of War, my issue with New God of War is that it has less enemy variety compare to old games and overall less epic boss. I still had lot of fun and enjoyed the overall story my only issue in the story was when got to helheim his biggest fear was he killed Zeus!!? I would imagine his biggest fear and nightmare he try get free from for entire series was that killed his family.

Blond

Banned
Okay, maybe I'm mis-remembering but I'm pretty sure the game made it sound like when they came across her in that was their first interaction?

Fbh

Could be interesting as a flashback or something but I hope the next entry moves forward and not backwards with the story.

It’s already great. I really don’t understand the criticism on the last God of War

It's popular game that got good reception from the vast majority of players, got good reviews and several awards.... and it's an exclusive too. You'll always have people eager to tell you they didn't like it or how it actually sucked.

Give the franchise back to David Jaffe.

Make God of War great again.

No thanks. Jaffe hasn't directed a good game since...well...God of War 1

ruvikx

Banned
Contrarianism.
I doubt any of them played Ascension or went back to GOW 1.

The original God of War trilogy had drama, Greek tragedy & actual exciting plots with loads of twists. The latest God of War was all about father/son melodrama & family issues. A lot less happened in 2018 God of War narrative wise than the originals, so yes, I agree with anyone who says the first games were better - because they were, i.e. from a gameplay standpoint (no silly xp system with redundant upgrades) & a narrative standpoint (Kratos avenging his family & taking down Mount Olympus).

"Kratos meeting Faye" sends me to sleep.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
He mentioned his wife and child back when the game launched during the IGN round about. Its interesting, but I hope they don't filter out those epic boss battles we want to see in #2.

Blond

Banned
I'm an idiot, that was Freya I'm thinking of. Which just makes this idea even more confusing because I cannot imagine why the hell I would want to watch a romance about Kratos lol

It’s already great. I really don’t understand the criticism on the last God of War

The criticism was aimed at the fact this was yet another series that received a complete reboot this gen going so far in the other direction of what the original creator intended and the new director not even understanding who Kratos was from a narrative standpoint.

Barlog says "Kratos was always angry" without realize that HIS Kratos in God of War 2 was always angry. Kratos in every game, and ten-fold in God of War, showed some level of humanity for the chaos he causes around him, the death of family, the chaos left in his wake as a spartan, protecting most of the Women in the games (when he's not fucking them obviously) like Calliope in God of War 3, his daughter in the first PSP game, LITERALLY OPENING THE ORIGINAL when he's so tired of all of this he tries to kill himself because he knows it'll put a stop his misery and the spread of chaos around him. There are plenty of other examples out there of him displaying these range of emotions from happiness, depression, anger, etc yet everyone acts like they never happened, including the director, the fuck?

Secondly, the combat wasn't really all that fleshed out and that was confirmed when Cory even said the core combat loop wasn't completed till about 4 months before the game launched. Countering is a great example, I can do it perfectly in every God of War BUT this one. Either the timing for it is off or it's busted because of the framerate because it definitely gets better on the pro when you play with the framerate unlocked. Sure, it's only 45fps but the combat starts feeling like a video game again, Kratos has better movement, the controls are more responsive and I start feeling powerful when I don't suck because the game is more concerned with EMOSHUNS.

Third, there wasn't much in the way of replay ability. The sidequest are cool, yeah, but when the combat isn't that engaging and doesn't really get better overtime why am I bothering? When you get good at God of War 2/3/Ascension/PSP Games it's almost unrecognizable from the button smashing people associate with it and starts looking damn near unrecognizable. Compare this video to the reboot, there is no getting better at the combat and because of that it starts to feel boring the longer you play compared to the originals where when you got better, the game got better.

That being said, I still found it to be the best walking simulator of all time because Cory at-least understood how to keep people engaged by actually engaging people in combat a lot compared to say, The Last of Us, which at times felt like a literal fucking movie!

Mikey Jr.

After playing 6 of the old God of Wars, I personally had enough. I was struggling to get through Ascension because it felt like I just played it. Felt like a series that had run its course creatively.

GoW PS4 reinvigorated my love of the series and the character. If they said "we are going back to the same gameplay, camera, world design of the old games" I would be massively disappointed.

xool

I sort of didn't like the tank controls - nobody else seemed to notice - but it happen .. want to go right, need to steer with R-stick .. mmmh

Danjin44

I sort of didn't like the tank controls - nobody else seemed to notice - but it happen .. want to go right, need to steer with R-stick .. mmmh
I personally didn't have issue with its combat system, in fact its my favourite combat system in western game but I do wish we more way variety in enemy designs and fun boss fight in main story.

Max_Po

Banned
I'm an idiot, that was Freya I'm thinking of. Which just makes this idea even more confusing because I cannot imagine why the hell I would want to watch a romance about Kratos lol

The criticism was aimed at the fact this was yet another series that received a complete reboot this gen going so far in the other direction of what the original creator intended and the new director not even understanding who Kratos was from a narrative standpoint.

Barlog says "Kratos was always angry" without realize that HIS Kratos in God of War 2 was always angry. Kratos in every game, and ten-fold in God of War, showed some level of humanity for the chaos he causes around him, the death of family, the chaos left in his wake as a spartan, protecting most of the Women in the games (when he's not fucking them obviously) like Calliope in God of War 3, his daughter in the first PSP game, LITERALLY OPENING THE ORIGINAL when he's so tired of all of this he tries to kill himself because he knows it'll put a stop his misery and the spread of chaos around him. There are plenty of other examples out there of him displaying these range of emotions from happiness, depression, anger, etc yet everyone acts like they never happened, including the director, the fuck?

Secondly, the combat wasn't really all that fleshed out and that was confirmed when Cory even said the core combat loop wasn't completed till about 4 months before the game launched. Countering is a great example, I can do it perfectly in every God of War BUT this one. Either the timing for it is off or it's busted because of the framerate because it definitely gets better on the pro when you play with the framerate unlocked. Sure, it's only 45fps but the combat starts feeling like a video game again, Kratos has better movement, the controls are more responsive and I start feeling powerful when I don't suck because the game is more concerned with EMOSHUNS.

Third, there wasn't much in the way of replay ability. The sidequest are cool, yeah, but when the combat isn't that engaging and doesn't really get better overtime why am I bothering? When you get good at God of War 2/3/Ascension/PSP Games it's almost unrecognizable from the button smashing people associate with it and starts looking damn near unrecognizable. Compare this video to the reboot, there is no getting better at the combat and because of that it starts to feel boring the longer you play compared to the originals where when you got better, the game got better.

That being said, I still found it to be the best walking simulator of all time because Cory at-least understood how to keep people engaged by actually engaging people in combat a lot compared to say, The Last of Us, which at times felt like a literal fucking movie!

LMAO...

Open a fucking window or something... for FRESH AIR.

Max_Po

Banned
He is responsible for directing a good portion of God of War 3 as well.

His record is spotty, but worthy of a lot of respect.

David J took off as soon as God of War was critical success. Like how Costanza, leaving the room on high note.

Since then I have only seem him make trash ... "Incomplete Calling all Cars", Broken Twisted Metal ps3, some absolute trash sketchbook shooter.... and he drops F bombs like a 13 year old to sound important.

Danjin44

All I want is more bosses and bigger ones.
I can agree with that, outside of "the Stranger" at the beginning and Valkyries they weren't that much memorable boss fights to be honest. In my opinion the new God of War is good example having good combat system but not many fun enemies and bosses to fight against, good enemy/boss design are as much important as combat itself.

FROM games just dont have good combat system in their games thats just half of it, the other half the interesting enemies and bosses you fight through out the games.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
I liked gow but i rather go back to the original gameplay style. We have enough third person over the shoulder games (not a knock on it for the sensitive sony fairies)

A.Romero

Personally I liked his GoW very much. Nothing wrong with the old ones but I didn't even try ascension, I had enough with 3.

The reboot reinvigorated the series and provided a new gameplay approach that was refreshing and modern. Easy to pick up and deep enough to be entertaining if the player really wants to master it. It also showed a really good way to provide the player with options about how to tackle the game without going full open world and compromising the narrative.

I really want to see Kratos go after the rest of the Norse Gods but I trust in Barlog to bring something even better to the table with the sequel.

Danjin44

I liked gow but i rather go back to the original gameplay style. We have enough third person over the shoulder games (not a knock on it for the sensitive sony fairies)
Just because some games have over shoulder camera it doesn't mean it play the same. The God of War(2018) plays nothing like Last of Us not even remotely, same way as God Hand play nothing like Resident Evil 4 or Vanquish.

Fake

Just because some games have over shoulder camera it doesn't mean it play the same. The God of War(2018) plays nothing like Last of Us not even remotely, same way as God Hand play nothing like Resident Evil 4 or Vanquish.
Its bizzare when you need to explain this. Played a lot of third person games on PS2 era and why people push this in recent days is a mystery for me.

SleepDoctor

Banned

I didn't say that. But neither did the original gow games. they were their own game.

Danjin44

I didn't say that. But neither did the original gow games. they were their own game.
We have enough third person over the shoulder games
In this comment you make it sound like all them are same games, its like saying we shouldn't make another first person games because we have already have other first person games, even tho not all them play the same.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
In this comment you make it sound like all them are same games, its like saying we shouldn't make another first person games because we have already have other first person games, even tho not all them play the same.

I did not say they all play the same. You chose to take it that way, thats on you.

Danjin44

I did not say they all play the same. You chose to take it that way, thats on you.
Then tell me whats "We have enough third person over the shoulder games" mean exactly? we have 1000 upon 1000 games with third person camera, 90% of Japanese games are in 3rd person so I guess developers shouldn't make games with 3rd person camera anymore?

Last edited:
Top Bottom