• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cory Booker to Introduce Marijuana Justice Act to legalize marijuana at federal level

platocplx

Today at 12:30pm ET I'm introducing the Marijuana Justice Act to legalize marijuana at federal level. Watch live: On Facebook
Link to Tweet

More Info:
U.S. Sen. Cory Booker is set to introduce a bill Tuesday to make marijuana legal at the federal level, marking the first time the New Jersey Democrat has come out in favor of full legalization and further stoking tensions with a Trump administration that has sought to roll back the clock on federal drug policy.

The Marijuana Justice Act, as Booker is calling his bill, would also allow people serving time for marijuana-related offenses to be resentenced and automatically expunge federal marijuana use and possession crimes. It uses federal funds to encourage states to liberalize their marijuana laws, Booker said in a statement ahead of the bill's formal introduction.

”Our country's drug laws are badly broken and need to be fixed," Booker said. ”They don't make our communities any safer — instead they divert critical resources from fighting violent crimes, tear families apart, unfairly impact low-income communities and communities of color and waste billions in taxpayer dollars each year."

http://www.northjersey.com/story/ne...01/booker-plans-legalize-marijuana/528226001/

Kill3r7

He is definitely running at this point. Too many events have occurred over the last couple of months simply for them to be coincidences.

jtb

Banned
Like everything Cory Booker does, a shrewd publicity stunt that will lead to precisely zero policy outcomes.

Hope you get a nice photo-op out of it, though!

(P.S. You will never be President.)

rjinaz

Working on getting that young vote for his inevitable 2020 presidential run.

Yeah seems like it. I support this fully but Booker is putting in the work already to set up his inevitable run.

Was just reading an article on politico about how Booker is putting in the most work right now of potential candidates for the 2018 elections.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sorry booker. I'm not a scorched earth person. I'm pragmatic, in fact, but his behavior with the Trump/Kushners was abetting.

This would have passed no doubt if Obama was still in office or if Hillary won. Still good news since I have financial ties in the industry and looking to expand.

Fracas

#fuckonami
People can throw the purity test at him all they want, but he's young and charismatic, and that's exactly what the Dems need right now. I'd love to see him on the ticket as VP, with someone more experienced as the headliner.

blugbox

Neo Member
I agree this is very strange timing and probably not the AG to try to fight this particular fight... but the reality is that we are getting closer. I mean even talk of legalization at the federal level actually happening is amazing. This is all progress.

platocplx

I dont see this as just a 2020 issue, but also a 2018 midterm issue that could mobilize a lot of young people. I think Dems would be good to push a lot of platform bills like this to gear up for midterms Next year.

People can throw the purity test at him all they want, but he's young and charismatic, and that's exactly what the Dems need right now. I'd love to see him on the ticket as VP, with someone more experienced as the headliner.

All Dems want is to fall in love with a candidate.

Tylercrat

Banned
Like everything Cory Booker does, a shrewd publicity stunt that will lead to precisely zero policy outcomes.

Hope you get a nice photo-op out of it, though!

(P.S. You will never be President.)

He will be our next president. He is the closest thing we have to Obama.

studyguy

Like I posted before, I'm not going to downplay any endeavor to decriminalize marijuana or at least soften sentencing for it. I don't care how you feel about Booker personally, but Sessions has made it clear he'd rather go back to locking people away for years over the most minor drug offenses. The issue should be constant fight under this admin and GOP congress.

kiri

So a Biden/Booker ticket?

I'd vote for that (if I could)

RoKKeR

The decriminalization of marijuana will happen eventually. It is such a burden on the country... needless and costly punishment for something entirely harmless. I don't partake myself, but sooner rather than later.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
One of alot I'm sure. We are not getting Hilary, Bernie and 3 other guys this time. We are getting a Buffett of popular and unknown candidates.

Whens the last time the Dems had a clown car. 2004? Don't remember 2008 being much outside of Obama, Clinton and Biden.

Socivol

c-booky is on schedule for 2020

I don't think he would win. He's black and he's supposedly gay. I do think this bill would be good though. I live in Illinois that has extreme budget problems and tax for everything, specifically the city of Chicago. I feel like legalizing and taxing this could bring in a lot of additional tax revenue for something that people are already paying for.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Like I posted before, I'm not going to downplay any endeavor to decriminalize marijuana or at least soften sentencing for it. I don't care how you feel about Booker personally, but Sessions has made it clear he'd rather go back to locking people away for years over the most minor drug offenses. The issue should be constant fight under this admin and GOP congress.

I mean, that's ok right?
Some fight is better than nothing at all.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Whens the last time the Dems had a clown car. 2004? Don't remember 2008 being much outside of Obama, Clinton and Biden.

There's been nothing close to the 2016 R pool in recent history. At least the 2004 dem primary gave us my username.

howard_dean_scream_AP.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

1992, really. 2004 was nothing compared to 1992 and previous in terms of highly fractured Dem primaries.

Yeah, that's not gonna go anywhere.

On the upside, the feds continue to take a hands-off approach to the will of the states, and things have gotten soo much better over the past 10 years. We (NH) finally decriminalized <0.75 oz; I can only hope recreational is pushed through in the next 2 years, especially considering MA and ME already did it.

Top Bottom