• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

I'm eager to try this, but I'm unfortunately really low on money right now. Well, I'm also pretty busy anyway. Hope to join you guys in a few weeks.

I own Cthulhu and Breath of Death, but honestly, I only played them for a few hours because the combat felt boring to me. However, the writing and general mood was very good!

Since Cosmic Star Heroine has a different combat system and is heavily inspired by Phantasy Star (my favorite game series ever), I'm pretty sure I'll love it.

Anno

The soundtrack is up! https://hyperduck.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-star-heroine-original-soundtrack

If you want to check out the song Laura Shigihara helped us out with (lyrics & vocals), it's 16. 言い返す のよ(Talk Back)

I'm obviously biased having worked on it, but I think the soundtrack is amazing. I think it lives up to any of the great RPG soundtracks.

Good lord at that smoky saxophone on track 2. This will be bought instantly.

Hobbun

The one person who is not one of the devs who has given us a completion time said it took them around 16 hours to finish the game on Heroine difficulty (it goes Tourist -> Agent -> Heroine -> Super-Spy).

Oh, that’s not long at all. Much shorter than I thought. I may actually be able to get this in and play it now. I have some massive games I want to get through so I think I will do this first.

Once the issue is fixed for the PS4 version on PSN, I will be downloading it.

Alastor3

The one person who is not one of the devs who has given us a completion time said it took them around 16 hours to finish the game on Heroine difficulty (it goes Tourist -> Agent -> Heroine -> Super-Spy).

What's the difference between Heroine and Super-Spy difficulty?

Oh, that’s not long at all. Much shorter than I thought. I may actually be able to get this in and play it now. I have some massive games I want to get through so I think I will do this first.

It's about a few hours less than Chrono Trigger so im okay with it.

aravuus

Steam version is unlocking in a minute, right? I've been playing P5 literally non-stop for the past week, so I think this is a good time to take a short day or two break from it and play something else. Due to being able to retry fights, I think I'll go Heroine... Or maybe even Super Spy. We'll see.

What's the difference between Heroine and Super-Spy difficulty?

On Super-Spy, enemies hit harder, have higher HP, and give less money. I played through the game on Super-Spy and found some parts pretty challenging (didn't do any grinding) and I'm the designer. In any case, you can switch between difficulties freely from the main menu so you can experiment and see which one offers the best level of challenge for you.

The soundtrack is up! https://hyperduck.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-star-heroine-original-soundtrack

If you want to check out the song Laura Shigihara helped us out with (lyrics & vocals), it's 16. 言い返す のよ(Talk Back)

I'm obviously biased having worked on it, but I think the soundtrack is amazing. I think it lives up to any of the great RPG soundtracks.

This opening theme is giving me some like.. Gall Force levels of nostalgia. Great stuff.

aravuus

Oh wait, still an hour to go? Usually games unlock at 7pm for me

Oh well, I'll read in the mean time

e: nvm, summer times obv. Damn you clocks and timezones.

Hobbun

It's about a few hours less than Chrono Trigger so im okay with it.

Oh, I’m not complaining. Where I normally like my ‘long’ RPGs as I like to get the most of out of my money, I am fine with this on how busy my backlog is.

Besides, even though I’ve been looking forward to playing this for awhile now (at least a year), I will need to clear my schedule in a few months for Rainbow Skies. Been waiting for that since announced, and that one will take a long time to get through.

But I should be done with CSH before then, going by how long it is.

And P5, well, that will be a long before I get to that. :(

About 5 hours in and I've noticed some bugs/glitches/freezes. Nothing major but still mildly annoying. I'm loving it so far!

I also got a beta prompt (saying the beta was about to end and to save my data) and some skills/abilities have "placeholder" descriptions.

I'm going to binge on this all day.

Hobbun

About 5 hours in and I've noticed some bugs/glitches/freezes. Nothing major but still mildly annoying. I'm loving it so far!

I also got a beta prompt (saying the beta was about to end and to save my data) and some skills/abilities have "placeholder" descriptions.

He's already aware of this, hope to be fixed soon.

Gah. The PS4 version that's up isn't the correct version - it's an old beta build. Trying to fix this ASAP.

Yeah, the wrong version went up on PSN - it's an old beta build. We're uploading a patch right now.

I preordered this due to the years of waiting and hype. I probably won't get around to it for awhile thanks to Persona 5 and the extreme backlog, but I can't wait!

Hobbun

I preordered this due to the years of waiting and hype. I probably won't get around to it for awhile thanks to Persona 5 and the extreme backlog, but I can't wait!

Same with my problem, my backlog is huge. And with still having to play Persona 5, and the upcoming Rainbow Skies, my time is going to be very limited. But that CSH is shorter is a benefit for me as I can put it ahead of everything else.

aravuus

8e22cdfe61.png

Come on

Got my code, waiting for steam to upload it now!

Also i've got a code for the soundtrack on bandcamp... but where do i use it exactly? There's nothing on the soundtrack page!

thanks

Right at 10:00 am when the game is supposed to go live on Steam, they send me a message saying it can't go up because the store page has an error (said it had cloud save support when it doesn't). I made the fix to the store page & now I'm hoping they immediately okay it for release and we don't have to wait days for them to get around to it. Bleh.

Brashnir

Right at 10:00 am when the game is supposed to go live on Steam, they send me a message saying it can't go up because the store page has an error (said it had cloud save support when it doesn't). I made the fix to the store page & now I'm hoping they immediately okay it for release and we don't have to wait days for them to get around to it. Bleh.

ZOgLf8y.gif

Seriously though, it'd be nice if they gave you a little lead time on the issue. Hope they approve it quickly.

Lanrutcon

No cloud saves? Well, you just lost a sale, mister.

I'm kidding.

I'm literally refreshing the store page every 5 minutes.

Backed this on KS. No PSN codes yet. No mention of how they plan to give them out either. Meanwhile folks who haven't backed it are already playing it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Congrats to the Zeboyd team! It feels like I've been looking forward to this game for years, and it's been a ton of fun following along during its development period. Can't wait to dive in later today.

Will my save file be compatible after the update or will I have to restart?

I don't mind restarting, but I'd rather not waste my time and continue on if that's the case.

Thanks for the quick reply!

If you save after a map transition, your save SHOULD work with the patch. Insight messages will be reset to the start of the game though (as soon as you do an event that triggers a new insight message, that'll be fixed).

Crocodile

It's going to be a while before I get a chance to play this but congrats to the dev team! This looks like a fantastic product and I hope it does well :)

Which song is the boss battle theme? Overall, I agree though, this is a great OST from what I'm listening to so far <3

Also I like the cover (I assume there is no physical version):

a0014599006_16.jpg

EvSOLO

No cloud support is a huge bummer. The store page had it listed as so which is why I decided to pass the PSN sale (along with no Vita version at launch.) Is it going to be 20% off or the full price on Steam?

Robert any luck with the PSN patch?

We created a patch - turns out the settings that the Sony people thought it was supposed to be set to were slightly off (literally one number). I just finished recreating a new patch with the change they indicated and I'm uploading it now. Hope this time for no issues.

No cloud support is a huge bummer. The store page had it listed as so which is why I decided to pass the PSN sale (along with no Vita version at launch.) Is it going to be 20% off or the full price on Steam?

Yeah, sorry about the cloud support thing. All of our other games just had cloud support automatically work so I figured it was the same and completely forgot to actually test it. Maybe we can add it later.

And the game is supposed to do a launch 20% discount on Steam automatically, but EVERYTHING ELSE ABOUT THIS LAUNCH HASN'T GONE SMOOTHLY SO WHY SHOULD THAT?!!!!!!

Kilau

Gold Member
Game is super great, feel bad that it's having some launch issues.

I'll hold off playing more until the patch is out.

Tell you what, I don't envy devs who are living through a game launch, especially indie devs. I really appreciate the insight we're getting in this thread though. Thanks Zeboyd guys!

I have a feeling this game is gonna be a big indie darling.

Interfectum

This thread should be printed and given freely to anyone who wants to be a game developer. It's stressful as fuck, especially dumb technical issues like these at the final hour.

Top Bottom