• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Andrew J.

Beat the game tonight. Really enjoyed it overall. The devs probably have a point recommending Heroine difficulty; I played on Agent and after doing all the side content the last couple story missions were fairly easy. That's how I like my games, though.

Go-to strategy for the last stretch was Gaea's Vengeance from Orson after piling on as many attack buffs as possible. Cleared out 98% of normal encounters and took of huge chunks of HP from most bosses too.

Can't believe they actually put a new weapon for Arete right before the battle against her. Those jerks! :lol

RDreamer

Just beat it tonight and the game was fucking excellent. The battle system was definitely the best part. Loved the environment art and design next. Characters were great. Music was top notch. Only thing I think could have used a bit of work was the script, but it was good enough. Definitely well worth the money I paid.

george_us

Finished the game last night. Wonderful game overall. Loved the battle system. My only complaint was that I felt the story was a little rushed. Never really felt like events had time to breathe before being shuffled onto the next event. Still though, I'd rather than that a game that's padded out. I hope we get a sequel.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got some good time in and got to the end. Did a few of the "hidden" bosses but once I had found a pretty powerful party setup it wasn't that tough to do any of them. I actually died more times fighting a mid boss near the end of the final dungeon than anything else in the game.

Thankfully the Retry function is wonderful and I came up with a strategy that worked. Beautiful ending. if there is a bonus dungeon I will be excited to try it out, but overall a great game.

What do I do after beating the Scrimerex hive boss in that cave? I'm back at the base now and can't progress. Already tried talking to everyone and looking around the environment. I can only go to the crew and lower decks...

Edit: figured it out, I'm dumb

Edit 2: Ok, now how do I get to Nuluup?

Finished the game last night.

Pros:
- Cool presentation that nails the retro look and feel of a 16-bit era RPG
- Great music
- unique and engaging battle system that requires strategy
- No padding or fluff in the story

Cons:
- Very buggy and was basically broken on release. Patches have cleaned things up but you will still encounter game breaking glitches.
- Not a fan of the character portrait art, reminds me of something I'd see on deviantart
- No reliable way to avoid enemy encounters
- Story is weak and the "twist" made me groan

Overall it's worth a buy if you are a fan of classic turn based rpgs. Just be sure to save often.

Vita version update - Got the game filesize down to under 2GBs by changing some asset settings so that's one step closer to release. The main issue right now is that we're using too much RAM so I've gotta get that down before it can come out.

Z3M0G

Vita version update - Got the game filesize down to under 2GBs by changing some asset settings so that's one step closer to release. The main issue right now is that we're using too much RAM so I've gotta get that down before it can come out.

WOOT WOOT Can't wait! I got the PS4 version, but I would get to play it much more on Vita during my lunch breaks. :)

Okay, playing through this now and I'm pretty sure I learned a "in the zone" ability for Dave after he leveled up after defeating this boss, but when I check on the abilities screen, in the zone isn't listed under Dave's abilities or any other characters'. Is this a bug or I'm just missing out on something?

Also, why is the game's download size 6 GB on PS4?

Okay, playing through this now and I'm pretty sure I learned a "in the zone" ability for Dave after he leveled up after defeating this boss, but when I check on the abilities screen, in the zone isn't listed under Dave's abilities or any other characters'. Is this a bug or I'm just missing out on something?

In the Zone is a Recharge ability so it can only be placed in the Recharge slot (bottom-right).

jacobeid

Banned

It's amazing how quickly you're making progress whereas most developers take an extra year to develop the Vita port.

I know this is hard work without much return. We appreciate it.

We're going to do an AMA on reddit.com/r/jrpg later this month. I'll post with an exact date & time when we have one.

Vita progress - it looks like I will probably need to change things so that the main menu is only loaded as needed instead of being in memory all the time. This would change the time to open the main menu from the map from being instant to being around 3 secs (which we would somewhat mask with some sort of transition animation). Most likely less than 3 secs to exit the main menu back to the map. I hate to do something like this because I hate loads with a passion, but it would free up a ton of memory that we need to have the game run properly on the Vita.

kng3025

We're going to do an AMA on reddit.com/r/jrpg later this month. I'll post with an exact date & time when we have one.

Vita progress - it looks like I will probably need to change things so that the main menu is only loaded as needed instead of being in memory all the time. This would change the time to open the main menu from the map from being instant to being around 3 secs (which we would somewhat mask with some sort of transition animation). Most likely less than 3 secs to exit the main menu back to the map. I hate to do something like this because I hate loads with a passion, but it would free up a ton of memory that we need to have the game run properly on the Vita.

Works for me as long as the game runs properly on the Vita. Patiently waiting for its release.

gbland

Thanks for the update. Load times are inconvenient but totally acceptable in a vita version. Do what you need to do man! Keep up the great work!

Cornbread78

Sounds like a worthwhile give and take IMO.

I can't wait to load the game up on my Vita...

Vita progress update - I was able to free up a bunch of RAM by changing some audio settings. Basically, I accidentally had all the cutscene audio as preload instead of streaming like it was supposed to be. Plus I was able to change some other settings to reduce RAM load.

I won't know for sure, but I think I now have enough RAM freed up that game should be playable from the start to finish. So I'll be testing that next week and fixing any issues that I run into then. If I don't find any major time-consuming bugs, we should be able to submit for release very soon. :)

Rob, I haven't had a chance to post the picture where the game keeps crashing on me but it's still happening. First planet, right outside factory entrance, 3 frog/2 laser encounter.

The glitch/bug occurs when I make multiple attempts of the VR battle option. I'm playing on Super Spy so I die a lot experimenting with various setups. I keep hitting Rety obviously, buy after 3 or 4 attempts, the frogs appear off screen and then the game locks and crashes.

Cornbread78

Vita progress update - I was able to free up a bunch of RAM by changing some audio settings. Basically, I accidentally had all the cutscene audio as preload instead of streaming like it was supposed to be. Plus I was able to change some other settings to reduce RAM load.

I won't know for sure, but I think I now have enough RAM freed up that game should be playable from the start to finish. So I'll be testing that next week and fixing any issues that I run into then. If I don't find any major time-consuming bugs, we should be able to submit for release very soon. :)

Saweeet!

Looking forward to digging in on my Vita

Thanks for all the updates, Robert.

Finished CSH today. Fantastic game. Gameplay was a good mix of old JRPG mechanics (turn-based combat, unite, recruiting primary and support characters)with some modern improvements (HP and items reset after battle, save anywhere). The story is pretty good too, with most of the characters having interesting backstories.

Also the first game I've had the drive to platinum in so many years!

DCkCVOBV0AEwVL-.jpg

Arthea

so I'm talking to Dave, and talking and nothing happens. When I'm supposed to get his sidequest? This worries me.

Is it possible to miss a quest trigger talk?

I am at the asteroid part

HorseFD

Has there been any update on a possible Switch port? This game would be perfect for that system. Very happy about the Vita release too, though.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
We're not actually redoing all this in HD.
That would take aaaaaaages and wouldn't really serve any purpose.

Plus "converting" a 16-bit art style to HD like I did doesn't really work style-wise. Characters end up looking goofy. Maybe I should'a removed the sprites for the mockup. Ah well. It was a fun experiment.

CSH is a 16-bit game style-wise, that's how it was intended; doing something else on top of the same framework and style would just look funky.

Finished the game last night.

Pros:
- Cool presentation that nails the retro look and feel of a 16-bit era RPG
- Great music
- unique and engaging battle system that requires strategy
- No padding or fluff in the story

Cons:
- Very buggy and was basically broken on release. Patches have cleaned things up but you will still encounter game breaking glitches.
- Not a fan of the character portrait art, reminds me of something I'd see on deviantart
- No reliable way to avoid enemy encounters
- Story is weak and the "twist" made me groan

Overall it's worth a buy if you are a fan of classic turn based rpgs. Just be sure to save often.

What did you find weak about the story? I'm genuinely curious, haven't played the game and just came across this thread.

What did you find weak about the story? I'm genuinely curious, haven't played the game and just came across this thread.

By weak I mean uninteresting and devoid of any real twists. The one revealed at the end made my eyes roll. I wasn't playing CSH for the narrative, the battle system is what kept me coming back.

neoemonk

Our existing engine should support Switch. Switch supports Unity & Cosmic Star Heroine was made with Unity. The game is rather low on system requirements so it's not like the Switch doesn't have enough power. I'd love to get the game on Switch (after I'm done with the other ports), but I haven't been able to get a devkit yet. So yeah, if you want to see CSH on Switch anytime soon, let Nintendo know, because it's mostly on them at this point.

Sorry if I'm putting too fine a point on it, but is there one way to reach out to them that is better than others? For example, I could just poke them on the NOA Twitter but I would like to maximize the impact I can have. Indies on Switch are one of the things I didn't know I needed until I got one so I'd love to see your game come there. I'd also like to see you guys continue to make games as a fan of your work.

LiK

I Platinumed the game and I want a sequel already. This world and the characters need to be expanded. Loved it.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

The only thing I felt the story was missing was a bit more character development. The pacing is great and the plot is fine, but don't expect any major twists, emotional moments, or anything like that. It's just a simple, fun adventure story, and it's fine for the game really.

LiK

The only thing I felt the story was missing was a bit more character development. The pacing is great and the plot is fine, but don't expect any major twists, emotional moments, or anything like that. It's just a simple, fun adventure story, and it's fine for the game really.

Yup, it's missing some much needed additional character development scenes. Sometimes you meet a new guy and you want to know more about them but there aren't any additional quests or scenes with them. But this is a great first step. I think Zeboyd did a fantastic job and I truly hope a sequel happens.

Kilau

Gold Member
Just finished up and really enjoyed my time with CSH. I ended up liking the ability system quite a bit. It was fun to mix things up.

I hope the developer continues making more games, this was really good.

Top Bottom