• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Tailzo

Just wanted to say I am eagerly anticipating the Vita release. I keep checking my twitter every day for news about it :)

Keep up the good work :)

Neoweee

Heroine is the generally recommended difficulty? Is Super-Spy realistic for first-time playthroughs if you really want a challenge, or does it really require knowing a lot already, ala a second playthrough?

I tend to play games on higher difficulties, and thought Cold Steel 2 was perfect on Nightmare, and other games in the series were perfect on Hard. Is there a settled verdict on difficulties for first-time playthroughs?

Brashnir

Heroine is the generally recommended difficulty? Is that the highest, or is a higher difficulty recommended if you really want a challenge?

I tend to play games on higher difficulties, and thought Cold Steel 2 was perfect on Nightmare, and other games in the series were perfect on Hard. Is there a settled verdict on difficulties for first-time playthroughs?

Super Spy is the highest difficulty, Heroine is the next one down.

Bladelaw

I'm finding myself appropriately challenged at Heroine. I generally like being a bit OP in my JRPGs so I grind a bit (the battle sim is a feature more RPGs need IMO). I'm at the point where I need to think about 3 actions ahead with a couple backups in case a party member gets KO'ed. It's much more engaging than the old school ATB normal attack spam but after a while it's exhausting. I take more breaks from this than I did with FF6/Chrono Trigger as a result. The battle sim is nice because things tend to play out the same way which makes for easy grinding.

Arthea

Heroine is the generally recommended difficulty? Is Super-Spy realistic for first-time playthroughs if you really want a challenge, or does it really require knowing a lot already, ala a second playthrough?

Super spy is tough, not impossible but really tough, you'll have to repeat most of fights until you find a way to win it, heroine is about right.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This thread has sold me on the game. Thanks guys. Gonna buy it and play it after Disgaea and Grandia II.

Super spy is tough, not impossible but really tough, you'll have to repeat most of fights until you find a way to win it, heroine is about right.

Is Heroine considered the "normal" difficulty?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
This thread has sold me on the game. Thanks guys. Gonna buy it and play it after Disgaea and Grandia II.

Is Heroine considered the "normal" difficulty?

It's the 2nd hardest mode out of 4. So it depends on your baseline really. Either it's this:

Tourist = Very Easy
Agent = Easy
Heroine = Normal
Super-Spy = Hard

Or this:

Tourist = Easy
Agent = Normal
Heroine = Hard
Super-Spy = Very Hard/Insane

Or something else entirely, more nuanced than the typical "easy vs hard" dichotomies, such as:

Tourist = For the story only/people completely new to RPGs
Agent = For people who played RPGs before still want to breeze through
Heroine = For experienced RPG players
Super-Spy = For the ultra-hardcore, prepare to constantly repeat battles

I played on Heroine, and I found it challenging at times but pretty manageable for the most part, not brutal or anything. The last bosses were, in fact, way too easy, I wasn't ever in danger and I didn't grind. Super-Spy completely destroyed me on battle 1, on the other hand.

I would recommend Heroine for a first playthrough.

Edit: here's the dev explaining the difficulty settings in his own words:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210572172&postcount=502
Tourist - Rhapsody
Agent - Chrono Trigger
Heroine - Persona 3/4
Super-Spy - SMT: Nocturne on Hard mode
And
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210573081&postcount=505
Do you dislike combat in RPGs and want to breeze through as fast as possible? Pick Tourist.
Do you like combat but don't want to get stuck? Pick Agent.
Do you like combat and want want a challenge but don't want to agonize over every little decision? Pick Heroine.
Do you like combat and want to really dig deep into the systems and find the perfect strategies? Pick Super-Spy.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
My recommendation is:

If you're not sure what difficulty to choose, choose Heroine.

If you find it too hard, you can change it down a slot to Agent from the in-game menu.

But I strongly feel that most people will enjoy Heroine.

I played on Heroine, and I found it challenging at times but pretty manageable for the most part, not brutal or anything. The last bosses were, in fact, way too easy, I wasn't ever in danger and I didn't grind. Super-Spy completely destroyed me on battle 1, on the other hand.

I would recommend Heroine for a first playthrough.

Edit: here's the dev explaining the difficulty settings in his own words:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210572172&postcount=502

And
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210573081&postcount=505

Yeah, I'm playing on Heroine difficulty and I think it's the perfect balance of challenging but not too unforgiving. The Persona 3/4 comparison is dead on. I lose characters and get the occasional game over about as often as I would in a Persona game.

Of course, I still haven't finished the game. I've really been taking my time with it.

e_i

Having a lot of fun with this. Got past the part with
fighting the giant robot where you destroy it's feet, then it's arms, and then it's head. Then you fight a giant insect with the giant robot you destroyed a few minutes before.

Ricker

Tried the Gunmancy shrine,just before heading for the last section of the game,and got clobbered lol...those 3 first guys dont fool around lol,even on Adept...I think Chahn is level 48,probably will have to try with different members and set-ups.

ResourcefulStar

Neo Member
Cosmic Star Heroine is now available on GOG.com with a 33% off discount.
Thank you! I already have a Steam copy, but will definitely get a DRM-free one once the discount gets deeper. I hope your next game gets a GOG release on day 1.

I finished the game about a month ago and really enjoyed the combat system. Misses and critical hits are the devil, and the more developers do away with them, the better.

I have a number of suggestions for QoL improvements, if you're still open to reworking the interface at this point.

1. Have abilities explicitly mention what stats they work off in the description because it's not intuitive at all in a lot of cases. Is gunmancy tech or magic, or does it vary from one ability to another? What about Anvil Drop, which deals physical damage, but has the flavor of a spell? Does it benefit from Physique or Sparke? Do all programs use Hacktitude, or is Sparke the governing stat for elemental ones?
2. Programs, as far as I can tell, lack detailed descriptions that show things like damage and duration.
3. Players should be able to view the detailed descriptions of abilities and programs in combat.
4. Include hard numbers in perk descriptions. It's difficult to choose between a weapon with a damage boosting perk and a weapon with a higher attack value when you can't tell how good the perk is.
5. There should be tutorial pop-ups somewhere that clarify stacking rules for perks and buffs. Do multiple instances of the same perk granted by different pieces of equipment stack with each other? Additively or multiplicatively? What about Chahn's defense buff? It has no duration listed, so I assume that it lasts for the entire fight, but is there any benefit to recasting it? Does it stack with itself? Up to how many times, if there's a limit?
6. Clarify whether or not the weapon's attack value affects magic damage. Different games handle it differently.
7. Next to the name of an enemy ability show an icon indicating whether it targets physical or magic defense.
8. Since you're already showing the HP and elemental weaknesses of enemies, why not show their physical and magic defense values and ailment resistances on top of that?
9. Include damage formulas, either in ability descriptions (if the way damage is calculated varies significantly between abilities), or in the help menu (if there's only one formula that you can plug the relevant stat value and the ability-specific multiplier into).

Ideally, the mechanics should be as transparent as they are in P&P RPGs. Gameplay-wise, RPGs are largely about number optimization, and hiding the numbers or their effects kind of gets in the way of that.

For your next game, I think you should decide whether you want to make a dungeon crawler or a story-driven RPG and either decrease or increase the amount of dialogue accordingly because I found CSH to occupy an uncomfortable middle ground. If it's supposed to be a dungeon crawler first, why is there an entirely combat-free chapter about
a murder investigation
? If it's supposed to be a story-driven RPG, why are the world and the characters so underdeveloped? Despite the protagonist being a governmental agent we learn almost nothing about the political system and the history of Alyssa's homeworld. Why doesn't Finn, a straight-laced policeman,
raise any objections against working with a known terrorist organization
? Why does Z'xorv, a mercenary driven by money,
stick with the party after you defeat Steele, the bounty he was after
? What was the point of the journey if
almost everyone ends right where they started, with the exception of Sue getting a promotion and Finn getting a medal
? Nobody really grows over the course of the story.

You can't run with the hare and hunt with the hounds. If you want to make Etrian Odyssey, make Etrian Odyssey. If you want to make Trails, make Trails.

Lucent

I was gonna wait on this since I'm still whittling away at Zelda but at half price I'll just go ahead and grab it.

ShadowOwl

Picked this up when it released on GOG. Even though I'm using and browsing Steam each and every day I didn't know about the game at all before. GOG's selection process can a blessing sometimes.

@Robert at Zeboyd Games:
Anyway I really hope you are going to implement button remapping. Playing the game on a keyboard as a German user is pain since all German speaking countries are using a QWERTZ layout instead of QWERTY. Unfortunately many games, especially Japanese ones, use the Z key to confirm stuff. Argh!

Keym

Curious about this game after seeing it recommended in the digital sale thread. How's the story and how long is the game on average?

Reani

Curious about this game after seeing it recommended in the digital sale thread. How's the story and how long is the game on average?
took me over 20 hours to finish.
story is good for the most part, a bit rushed closer to the end.

Reani

That's the perfect length for me. Too bad about the end part, but I've played FFXV, it can't be worse than that. Thanks!
if you enjoy hard games and the magic of turn based battles - crank up the difficulty to the max right from the start.
combat system in this game is very good. it starts off REALLY hard, but as you understand it more and more and get better gear it gets easier.

if you are not looking for a challenge - default difficulty is forgiivng

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Any news on the physical release? Friend bought this last week and it seemed great so far, a big leap forward for Zeboyd.

Jamaro85

Just got reminded of this through GOG recommending it upon launching the program. On sale from $14.99 to $9.99, but after reading in here that it's on sale on PS4 I think that's the route I'm going.

This game might just jump to the front of the queue with how short it is. Looking forward to it.

Skulldead

Noticed that we're currently #3 on GOG's front page popularity/sales list. No clue what that translates into as far as actual sales go, but it can't be bad, I'm thinking. :)

I remember a couple of month ago you were worry of the popularity of the game because it's have start really slow. Word and mouth seem to have worked here, congrats !

Linkura

Noticed that we're currently #3 on GOG's front page popularity/sales list. No clue what that translates into as far as actual sales go, but it can't be bad, I'm thinking. :)

giphy.gif

Sillverrr

Going to buy it during the PSN sale, because I'm holding out for the Vita port. I wonder how devs feel about Sony's device in this day and age, but I for one think it's a marvelous bit of kit.

Miker

Hey Robert, wasn't there going to be an update that would add a bonus dungeon or flesh out a sidequest? Is that still happening, and any estimate on when it'll come out? I bought my PC copy on launch day but haven't gotten around to it, and I can wait a bit longer for some extra content.

Hey Robert, wasn't there going to be an update that would add a bonus dungeon or flesh out a sidequest? Is that still happening, and any estimate on when it'll come out? I bought my PC copy on launch day but haven't gotten around to it, and I can wait a bit longer for some extra content.

We have some content we're planning on adding, but we're going to time that with one of the ports to try to get more attention. Not sure which port at the moment.

So I bought the game and been playing for a few hours but I believe I've encountered a glitch?

I didn't notice initially, but at some point after receiving Sue, I've been unable to take any action with his character. In every battle screen he has no animation and is stuck and obviously useless.

capturekqksw.png

I'm playing on the PS4 version.

edit: It fixed itself when I used his teamwork tech

Top Bottom