• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
New game idea: Hospital where an elite team of doctors use miniaturized mechs to fight crazy bio-terrorist diseases. Based on the CSH engine & gameplay. Lots of fun dungeon possibilities & it'd be really easy to throw in some Persona/Sakura Taisen-style story stuff between mission. And hey, between playing through Trauma Team & watching Doctor Crush, I think I've got the relevant medical background that would be necessary to pull this off.

If nothing else it would be unique, I can't think of an RPG like that.

And I'm still struggling to start CSH. This seems to be the only game detecting a non-existent left input all the time. Guess I'll try running the game in safe mode and seeing what happens?

In some rare instances the Tailorbot doesn't mention it when you get it. Haven't been able to recreate or find the cause of this. But normally the Bot will deliver dialogue telling you clearly when you have the dress.
At the very least even when this occurs, entering the Mansion with the dress and invitation will work.
Thanks!

Will enter the mansion tomorrow.

Exentryk

Lol, just worked out a strategy to deal 300k damage in two turns to a single enemy (party is ~lv46). RIP future bosses. I've already beat the
two superbosses
though, so not sure what to demonstrate this on. Maybe I'll find more stronger enemies and gear to make the damage even better.

New game idea: Hospital where an elite team of doctors use miniaturized mechs to fight crazy bio-terrorist diseases. Based on the CSH engine & gameplay. Lots of fun dungeon possibilities & it'd be really easy to throw in some Persona/Sakura Taisen-style story stuff between mission. And hey, between playing through Trauma Team & watching Doctor Crush, I think I've got the relevant medical background that would be necessary to pull this off.

So...do you want my money now, or wait for the kickstarter?

;)

Bill's excited about the Hospital + Mech idea so we're going to flesh out some ideas for that and if that goes well, start pre-production (character & locale art). :)

We're both leaning against Kickstarter - it's a lot of work to do properly & mentally, it feels a lot like taking a loan. We're getting decent money from CSH and that should continue for a while thanks to ports & special promotions so we should be able to produce the next game without any outside funds (as long as we don't take a million years).

Exentryk

Finished the game last night.

Pros:
  • Combat and variety in abilities
  • Setting (visiting various alien planets is great)
  • Pacing (Amount of encounters are measured, so helps pacing alot)
  • New Characters (Game keeps bringing in new characters regularly, which keeps the game fresh. I'd probably prefer if they weren't locked in the party though, so people could choose to remove them if they didn't like their abilities.)
  • Price. Seriously, game is a steal!
  • No grinding. Played through on Super Spy and didn't need to grind once.
Average:
  • Art - It was okay, but it could be better. It was mainly the cutscene art that bothered me. The ingame stuff looked okay. Maybe I'm feeling this way as my last game was the insanely gorgeous Hollow Knight. How amazing would a JRPG be with that art-style?!
Cons:
  • Story (Standard JRPG story with save-the-world stuff. Probably the weakest area of the game)
  • Programs being tied to Shields (Shields have fixed stats that become outdated later on, even though their programs might be worth using. Some early game Shields have high hackitude abilities that people might never use.)
  • Missing vital stat descriptions for Programs and some abilities (mostly hidden durations, etc.)
  • Big Spoiler -
    Arete getting her final weapon (Phial) in the last dungeon when she can't even be in the party anymore.

I put in about 47 hours and really enjoyed it. Since gameplay was the strong point here, I'll likely be back for the next game if they have another good system. The above idea about doctors and being inside bodies along with Persona style social crap doesn't appeal much to me though, but maybe gameplay will be enough.

Anyway, Dave was my favourite character.

f6Iu0yF.png

P.S. - Was there a gear that had "God Mode" as a program? It's in the game files, but I didn't find any gear (Gamer Shield?) with that ability. I'm seeing other stuff that might not have been in the game like Legentama weapon for Chahn, Groovy mic accessory for Lauren, etc?

P.P.S - Enjoy a gif:

GrotesqueSlimFrigatebird.gif

Tailzo

I was thinking, I hope CSH gets some exposure on psn when the Vita version releases, even in this thread I've seen people unaware of the Vita version.

Atleast be top of the list over new releases on Vita psn :)

dock

Those Chrono Trigger sprite faces will take some overcoming. I guess the RPG fan communities were riddled with spritemods of Square's SNES games for a decade.

I've never played any of this dev's games, mostly because the older games gave the impression of webcomic style humour. Is this game a little more genuine and less ironic?

Those Chrono Trigger sprite faces will take some overcoming. I guess the RPG fan communities were riddled with spritemods of Square's SNES games for a decade.

I've never played any of this dev's games, mostly because the older games gave the impression of webcomic style humour. Is this game a little more genuine and less ironic?
There are moments of humour for sure but other parts are also more serious. I only played Cthulhu saves the World of theirs previously and I feel the writing is a big improvement on that.

I think I broke the game...

I put the Dark Shield on Arete (I think it's the shield Dave started with at the beginning of the game). With Debug on her first turn, Void Wave while Hyper on her second turn is wiping out entire screens of enemies in a single hit. Too good!

Sulik2

Just finished getting my platinum. What a great game. The combat breaks down end game, but honestly being able to one shot everything felt fine after the first ten hours or so of combat being a challenge. Maybe the best battle system I've seen in a jrpg since Chrono Trigger. Plus no grinding and a decent funny story. Glad I saw neogaf recommendations on this during the PS4 sale.

Keym

Add me to the Platinum list. Pretty good game, I especially liked the music. That industrial theme, the club theme, and the battles are all standout. My only criticisms would be to tighten up the script a little bit more next time. Some things happen way too fast with no breathing room inbetween. Also, I think there might be just too many party members... I know it's not an usual complaint, but there it is. Lastly, I kept running into all sorts of bugs trying to select the battle option. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it froze, sometimes I'd win the battle without even loading. Oh and the green tint... not pleasant. Maybe there's some other way to convey that it's a VR battle?

Overall, highly recommended. The battle system in Super-Spy mode kept me going until the end. Reminded me a little of Nocturne's highest difficulty!

Arthos

I was thinking, I hope CSH gets some exposure on psn when the Vita version releases, even in this thread I've seen people unaware of the Vita version.

Atleast be top of the list over new releases on Vita psn :)

The Vita version coming out at some point is the only reason I haven't played this game. Very much looking forward to it.

Finished the game last night.

Pros:
  • Combat and variety in abilities
  • Setting (visiting various alien planets is great)
  • Pacing (Amount of encounters are measured, so helps pacing alot)
  • New Characters (Game keeps bringing in new characters regularly, which keeps the game fresh. I'd probably prefer if they weren't locked in the party though, so people could choose to remove them if they didn't like their abilities.)
  • Price. Seriously, game is a steal!
  • No grinding. Played through on Super Spy and didn't need to grind once.
Average:
  • Art - It was okay, but it could be better. It was mainly the cutscene art that bothered me. The ingame stuff looked okay. Maybe I'm feeling this way as my last game was the insanely gorgeous Hollow Knight. How amazing would a JRPG be with that art-style?!
Cons:
  • Story (Standard JRPG story with save-the-world stuff. Probably the weakest area of the game)
  • Programs being tied to Shields (Shields have fixed stats that become outdated later on, even though their programs might be worth using. Some early game Shields have high hackitude abilities that people might never use.)
  • Missing vital stat descriptions for Programs and some abilities (mostly hidden durations, etc.)
  • Big Spoiler -
    Arete getting her final weapon (Phial) in the last dungeon when she can't even be in the party anymore.

I put in about 47 hours and really enjoyed it. Since gameplay was the strong point here, I'll likely be back for the next game if they have another good system. The above idea about doctors and being inside bodies along with Persona style social crap doesn't appeal much to me though, but maybe gameplay will be enough.

Anyway, Dave was my favourite character.

P.S. - Was there a gear that had "God Mode" as a program? It's in the game files, but I didn't find any gear (Gamer Shield?) with that ability. I'm seeing other stuff that might not have been in the game like Legentama weapon for Chahn, Groovy mic accessory for Lauren, etc?

P.P.S - Enjoy a gif:

GrotesqueSlimFrigatebird.gif

Yeah, my thoughts were similar, plus GOOD TUNES

Great boss fight music!

Great etherial dungeon tracks!

Great overworld themes!

Also yeah, PsyBEAST is great. Never left my party after joining.

After finishing Cosmic Star Heroine, I picked Earthlock back up to finish. In the process of writing my thoughts on that game, I made a comment there that I'd like to repeat here:
In reference to a quibble about Earthlock and some praise for CSH
Another thought: Groups of PCs greater then what can be part of your active party. It really bugs me when your inactive members don't get experience. I feel it artificially forces more grinding (thus artificially lengthening the game...as an aside thanks to Robert, for not doing this with Cosmic Star Heroine. It was greatly appreciated). That said the level cap of 20 mitigates some of my gripes...you can't get too much character imbalance...the ultimate level cap prevents it.

Again thank you, Robert. I personally really hate having to swap around characters just to grind them levels on the chance that a future sequence in said game forces me to use them. Furthermore, thanks for making characters that I actually wanted to swap around because they all brought something interesting to the table.

Lime

I would really like if the Vita version supported firmware 3.60 so I can play it via Henkaku, although I know this is practically impossible due to Sony's certification.

Shahed

Thanks to whoever bumped this thread or kept it active. Seeing it reminded me to look into the game as I always forgot. Looked interesting, check PS Store and it happened to be on sale at the extremely low price of £6.19. If this game is half as good as people say it is, then that's an absolute bargain!

Might be a little while or even a few months before I get around to this, but that price was too good to ignore for a game that had my attention.

jdstorm

Banned

Just as long as traversing between dungeons involves some starfox lite rail shooter sections in the arteries...

Just kidding. Obviously do whatever makes you happy.

Edit: Just bought CSH on PSN and am waiting for the download. Wish i had faster internet.

Instro

Ozzy and Drix RPG

urfe

I got back into this morning. I'm about 8 hours in, and having a blast again. I'm playing on Heroine, and am not really sure if I have fully understood all the systems.

I have a quick question about the scavenger hunt.

I don't want to know what to do, but there's one item where it appears obvious how I should be able to get it, but talking to that creature doesn't lead to anything.

Could it perhaps be not possible to get that item anymore?

I'm on Obon break now, so hope to finish the game by putting in a few hours every morning.

I got back into this morning. I'm about 8 hours in, and having a blast again. I'm playing on Heroine, and am not really sure if I have fully understood all the systems.

I have a quick question about the scavenger hunt.

I don't want to know what to do, but there's one item where it appears obvious how I should be able to get it, but talking to that creature doesn't lead to anything.

Could it perhaps be not possible to get that item anymore?

I'm on Obon break now, so hope to finish the game by putting in a few hours every morning.

Some of the festival stuff can only be done the first time you go to the festival.

It's been 4 months since the PS4 launch. I bought the game at launch to support Zeboyd Games and with the intent of playing it on Vita. I didn't think it would take so long.

Sorry about that. Game works on Vita, but there's a nasty memory leak that I haven't been able to track down & eliminate yet.

e_i

Having a blast with the game. Robert, is your next game going to be a 32bit inspired RPG, since your other two games were 8 bit and 16 bit inspired games?

Alright, so I just got the platinum. All in all, I really loved the game. BUT...

There are a few character abilities and combos that really just break the game. Once you figure them out, nothing in the game poses any challenge anymore. Fighting Lita before Dave learned Null or Psybe learned Avatar was probably my favorite fight in the game, because even though Arete could do massive damage with void wave, it wasn't enough for a one-hit kill, and that kept the tension up. But after that, everything was trivial. My Psybe did enough damage to wipe out the Prime Evil three times over in a single hit.

That said, it's still fun figuring out the ability combos that lead to that kind of damage. Maybe I'll do a replay on Super Spy and see if that'll keep the late bosses from just rolling over.

Reani

That said, it's still fun figuring out the ability combos that lead to that kind of damage. Maybe I'll do a replay on Super Spy and see if that'll keep the late bosses from just rolling over.
it doesnt, i killed all bosses including final ones at max difficulty on turn 2-3

i played the game before all patches though but shouldnt be hard

Linkura

Glad this was bumped. Meant to play the game a lot sooner, but life got in the way. Was able to put in a couple hours a few days ago and I like it a lot so far. The excellent battle system is worth the price of admission alone.

Linkura

Sat down to play a little more this evening. And, of course, encounter my first game-breaking bug. I'm on PS4 with the latest updates.

Fighting my way to Lauren's apartment. Fight was, I believe, the upper right corner of the area where there's a chest and an encounter with a Bagman and Rocketeer. I use my usual strategy, and should have ended the encounter with an attack-all incinerator attack from Chahn. Both enemies are KOd and disappear.... but the battle music and PC character animations continue as if there's still enemies, and the Bagman still shows up on the turn gauge. I'm stuck. Great.

I guess there's still bugs that could use some fixing. I thought this game was cleaned up, but apparently not sufficiently enough that I couldn't break it within a few hours of gameplay. :/

v1.15 is now live on Steam! (uploading to Humble Store at the moment, PS4 update will come later but not today).
Patch notes:

Fixed a bug where killing a Bag Man and other enemies simultaneously to win a battle could stall the game.

Clearly, this shit ain't fixed.

Yeah, there's definitely still bugs, but to their credit it's way more stable than it was at launch. Also, you can save anywhere. I've been saving after every 2 battles or so to be safe.

Linkura

Yeah, there's definitely still bugs, but to their credit it's way more stable than it was at launch. Also, you can save anywhere. I've been saving after every 2 battles or so to be safe.
Yeah, I didn't lose much progress because I am saving frequently. It's still annoying and I find it especially annoying since this bug was supposedly "fixed" and people in this thread had been claiming all the bugs had been fixed (which is why I'd decided to dig in). Also, if you have to exit out of the game, the initial loading of the game is ridiculously long, so that makes it even more annoying.

Tailzo

I'm in for this day 1 in the VITA.

Still no launch date?

It's been 4 months since the PS4 launch. I bought the game at launch to support Zeboyd Games and with the intent of playing it on Vita. I didn't think it would take so long.

They had some memory troubles. I am still waiting, and I also bought it day one. They often check this thread, so I would not be surprised to hear an update soon :)

I'll need to do extensive testing to be sure, but initial testing from a few minutes ago indicates that I may have just fixed the RAM leak issue on Vita this morning. Was able to play from starting the game up to the festival while maintaining a decent RAM buffer (over 60MBs of RAM free on the world map after getting Lauren which might not seem like a lot but given how little RAM the Vita has is pretty solid). Before, the game would run out of memory before then.

DragonElm

Neo Member
Sending all my energy to the devs for the vita port! I've bought this on steam and psn but I'll continue to wait to play this on vita.

Any updates from Nintendo on a potential Switch port?

Also, does it bother anyone that Nintendo is allowing physical releases of games like Troll & I (lol) and Lumo (which is fun-ish, but also 2-3 hours long and definitely a port), but CSH can't even get greenlit for a digital release?

Anywho, still really looking forward to that LRG release :)

Tailzo

I'll need to do extensive testing to be sure, but initial testing from a few minutes ago indicates that I may have just fixed the RAM leak issue on Vita this morning. Was able to play from starting the game up to the festival while maintaining a decent RAM buffer (over 60MBs of RAM free on the world map after getting Lauren which might not seem like a lot but given how little RAM the Vita has is pretty solid). Before, the game would run out of memory before then.

Thank you for the reply. I hope all your hard work for the Vita port will be rewarded in the end :)

Finally got Internet setup in my new place in Taiwan (75MB/sec for about $12-$13 USD/month - woo!) and things are starting to settle down so I should make rapid progress on the ports now.

Im in chapter 7 exploring new rohmu. Bumped the game up to the "hard" difficulty and the game really shines now. It's still not a super difficult game but now enemies are more of a challenge which supports the really awesome battle system.

Top Bottom