• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Knurek

I honestly think it's a contender for best soundtrack of the year, or would be if more people had played it. Hard to compete against games that have sold millions.

Nah, sorry, I love Hyperduck and all, but 2017 is the year NieR: Automata released.
You'll have to make do with second best OST of the year

Stalwart

Think I might finally dive into the game this weekend, got it very shortly after release but haven't been able to find the time. Does kbm work well or should I stick with a controller?

Finally got Internet setup in my new place in Taiwan (75MB/sec for about $12-$13 USD/month - woo!) and things are starting to settle down so I should make rapid progress on the ports now.

Hey, I saw the thread was bumped and checked back to see about port news– glad to see you're back at it after what sounds like an intense move. Any progress on that memory leak, or was it one bug down, two more to take its place?

I've come across a few weird bugs like characters on screen disappeared in battle, Alyssa getting stuck in between characters causing me to have to reload, but it's only happened one or twice. This is on PS4.

Do all characters have side quests available? I've only done Finn's and Chahn's.

I see in the OP it addresses a potential Switch port if possible.

Would most certainly buy this if that port happens. Hope to hear that it makes it over.

The only funky thing I’ve seen on PC is that on all of my screens and monitors (all 16:9 ratio) the main menu is cut off at the bottom, so “System” is only partially visible.

I’m still early in the game but I’m loving it.

Cornbread78

I'll need to do extensive testing to be sure, but initial testing from a few minutes ago indicates that I may have just fixed the RAM leak issue on Vita this morning. Was able to play from starting the game up to the festival while maintaining a decent RAM buffer (over 60MBs of RAM free on the world map after getting Lauren which might not seem like a lot but given how little RAM the Vita has is pretty solid). Before, the game would run out of memory before then.

Anything to update us on the Vita port release? Everything still running smooth to warrant a release date?

Linkura

So did this game get ironed out (think it was buggy on launch?)

Certainly not as much as people claimed- still ran into a game-crashing bug that was supposedly "fixed" according to patch notes (and posted about it here, but it was ignored by the devs who post regularly in the thread for some reason). But yes, they fixed a lot of issues at least.

OmegaDL50

New game idea: Hospital where an elite team of doctors use miniaturized mechs to fight crazy bio-terrorist diseases. Based on the CSH engine & gameplay. Lots of fun dungeon possibilities & it'd be really easy to throw in some Persona/Sakura Taisen-style story stuff between mission. And hey, between playing through Trauma Team & watching Doctor Crush, I think I've got the relevant medical background that would be necessary to pull this off.

Have you ever seen the movie Innerspace?

It was a science fiction / comedy film from the late 80's that somewhat glosses on the subject of a person going into a pod like vehicle to take part in a miniaturization experiment to microscopic size and then to be injected via a syringe to do explorative investigation inside a rabbit, but as a result of sabotage of the experiment accidently ended up inside another human instead.

While I'm glossing over some plot stuff for the sake of preserving spoilers if you have not seen the film, one thing that stood out to me was one part of the movie where the pilot of the shrunken vehicle has to end up avoiding white blood cells and other internal body self defense mechanisms that think the he is a harmful foreign organism.

RPGCrazied

Kinda late to the party, but bought this and downloading.

Why is this game almost 7 gig? Does it have voice acting? Can't wait to play. Looks fun.

Pachinko

New game idea: Hospital where an elite team of doctors use miniaturized mechs to fight crazy bio-terrorist diseases. Based on the CSH engine & gameplay. Lots of fun dungeon possibilities & it'd be really easy to throw in some Persona/Sakura Taisen-style story stuff between mission. And hey, between playing through Trauma Team & watching Doctor Crush, I think I've got the relevant medical background that would be necessary to pull this off.

I know this post is months old now but I gotta say I'm super down with this. You could even have a Psychonaughts style thing too, like you get to know the patient before diving in , maybe see some backstory on them. Perhaps you go in multiple times or even have to treat someone who is not a good person so there's a moral decision to make.

-----

This is all just a sidetrack though , I grabbed CSH day 1 fully expecting that I'd be done with Persona not long after and could then slide on down to play through it later and... well, I've had very little time for gaming recently so Persona still sits unfinished and there's a huge backlog forming behind it.

Certainly not as much as people claimed- still ran into a game-crashing bug that was supposedly "fixed" according to patch notes (and posted about it here, but it was ignored by the devs who post regularly in the thread for some reason). But yes, they fixed a lot of issues at least.

I wonder why more devs don't post on GAF...

I think Rx Machina is the name we're going to use for our "Fantastic Voyage with Mechs" RPG.

I love it!

Exentryk

When you play RPGs that are grindy and don't respect the player's time, you come back and appreciate the developers of this game. Keep up the good design decisions!

Lanrutcon

@Robert at Zeboyd Games:

I just finished Battlechasers: Nightware, and playing it reminded me of your games (and FFVII). Give it a look one day when you have a moment. It's a solid 8/10 western JRPG with amazing visuals, party management, TB combat, etc.

I'm nearing the end of the game (I guess? It just straight up told me to make a back up save, and based on the developer's gameplay length estimation I must be pretty close), so here are some thoughts:
  • I feel like this game needed fewer party members. Variety is good, and I appreciate the game trying to differentiate the characters in combat, but a lot end up feeling kind of gimmicky and not in a fun way (Arete, Dave, and Clarke). Finn and Clarke both seem to be in the game for no real reason from a story perspective, and most other characters also just sort of fade into the background. The dialogue could have been given a few more run throughs to help differentiate the characters more.
  • On that note, when I unlocked Finn's side mission, I was like "Oh, ok, maybe this means he'll get some more backstory/personality, and if all the characters have an associated side dungeon/mission, that's pretty cool!" but it seems that's not the case? Or at the very least, Finn's and Chahn's (
    Gunmancy Shrine
    ) were the only ones I've encountered.
  • The flow of the game is pretty nice, though it does feel like most of the challenge comes from taking on the optional areas early rather than the story missions. Encounters not respawning is a godsend.
  • I've enjoyed the enemy designs quite a bit. There's plenty of variety, so that's always a good thing.
  • There's been a couple of things I haven't been able to trigger yet (
    Resolutions for the guy who being hassled by the police in Gehenna said I should come see him when he's free and the person in the homeless shelter who asked for money. I also haven't been able to access the arcade just yet
    )
  • I do wish the game had maybe leaned a bit heavier into Phantasy Star aesthetics than Chrono Trigger
  • The music is fantastic.

I guess this sounds pretty negative, but I've enjoyed the game a lot.

WOO!

This game finally made it to the Switch this week and is the definitive version. I always wanted to buy it on the vita, but held off in hopes for a switch version. so i put my money where my mouth is and bought it last night. unfortunately I only got 5 minutes into the game/ tutorial until my baby needed to be cared for, but i'm super stoked to get into it this week. lots of great impressions of it

Check this game out if youre itching for some oldschool rpg goodness on the switch!

Last edited:

Arimer

I've had this game for a while and played it a good amount but I have a tendency to drop what I'm playing when I get something new so I never finish anything. I need to go back and knock this one out as I did enjoy the heck out of what I played of it.

Durask

I've had this game for a while and played it a good amount but I have a tendency to drop what I'm playing when I get something new so I never finish anything. I need to go back and knock this one out as I did enjoy the heck out of what I played of it.

Yeah same here played for about 5 hours and then went on my back burner. Will get back to it eventually.

Top Bottom