• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cossacks 3 launches on 20 September 2016 in stores and on Steam

Eight-person multiplayer, up to 10,000 troops on screen for launch.

The team at GSC Game World, makers of the STALKER franchise, have announced a release date for the reboot of Cossacks, their hit real-time strategy series. Cossacks 3 will return to Windows PC on Sept 20, published at retail by Koch Media and CDP.pl, a distribution company related to CD Projekt. We’ve also learned the team expects the Steam version of the game to be live that same day.

Full announcement (includes some of the game's features) http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/19/12226178/cossacks-3-has-a-release-date-at-retail-and-on-steam

VXaqu6R.jpg

QuDafxG.jpg

Cuzyyn7.jpg

A3lJWHe.jpg

Xm6ppWo.jpg

I'm a big fan of the Cossacks series, it was extremely popular here in Europe and we've known about the new game for a while but we finally have a release date. I know there are a couple of Cossacks fans I've stumbled upon on GAF but it seems pretty niche around here nonetheless. It's a great RTS series and really scratched that itch for commanding thousands of troops on the battlefield, a game that stood unique among the many RTS games of that era.

For those that want some more information of the history of Cossacks Polygon has an article on it last year and the developers, GSC Game World.

The series is what made S.T.A.L.K.E.R. possible (an ambitious game for its time), if Cossacks 3 does well I think we could see a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2!

Steam page now up!
Game features:
  • Grandiose battles of up to 10,000 soldiers on the battlefield
  • 12 playable nations
  • 100 research opportunities
  • 140 different historic buildings
  • Battles ashore and at sea
  • Five singleplayer historical campaigns
  • Infinite variations of battles on randomly generated maps
  • 8-player multiplayer

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Cossacks is a great series. Age of Empires for people who want more depth.

Also if this helps fund a new STALKER, even better.

xVodevil

Holy fuck. They’re making a Cossacks 3.

It's not news, though it came to my mind, that it might have been cancelled, since they aimed a late 2015 release when they announced it. And there was not much else to hear about this game ever since... But yeah, a date finally, it is amazing! :)

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I've never played Cossacks before, but this looks mightily similar to Age of Empires III. With Ensemble gone and no new AoE in sight, this looks like it might be a spiritual successor to my favorite RTS series. Sign me right up.

I only vaguely remember 1 and 2 existing, which is weird since I was into almost any other RTS from that era. Probably going to check this out though.

The first ones campaign no matter who you choose was ridiculously difficult. He Ukraine campaign for example I could never get passed the first mission lol.

patapuf

Oh, that looks nice. I remember it being announced a while ago but i expeted it to be dead (just like GSC).

Good to see it's coming out.

LightInfa

Thrilled that we're going to be getting this pretty soon- my only quibble at the moment is so far I don't think we've seen any new unit/building designs- everything in screens and in footage has just been old cossacks stuff redone in 3D.

Thrilled that we're going to be getting this pretty soon- my only quibble at the moment is so far I don't think we've seen any new unit/building designs- everything in screens and in footage has just been old cossacks stuff redone in 3D.

Because from what I've heard this game is based on Cossacks 1. I read it being a remake mainly, with some things added in.

I never player one, but one poster that said 'AoE only with more depth' got me all grinning here. I never ever had even seen a video of the series, and I just got an email saying I got intp the beta. I'm all over this beta.

The email was in russian so no idea what it said...

Would anyone be interested in a gameplay video (if there's no NDA)?. A simple thing, no commentaries or intro, just gameplay and sound sand music. If not a lot of people get in the beta I can make one if you guys want.

Theonik

I never player one, but one poster that said 'AoE only with more depth' got me all grinning here. I never ever had even seen a video of the series, and I just got an email saying I got intp the beta. I'm all over this beta.

AoE with more depth is about right. Quite similar concept/setup, but more resources, more granular options and faster with some interesting systems. Food for instance drops and the rate at which it drops depend on your population. Running out of food means famine. Similarly, some military units like your ships have running costs to pay wages etc. If you can't afford to pay them, the units might go rogue as there is a mutiny. It adds a lot of micromanagement and depth to how you pay the game.

Jellzy

Neo Member
Big fan of the last 2 and was surprised a while back when I found out about this one.

Strange that we haven't heard anything in a while when it was supposed to be released today... Nothing on GSC's site or any updated on the blog since the release date was announced.

Delayed?

PFD

Oh man I played this endlessly in LAN parties back in the day. No other game gave me that feeling of excitement when you're on the verge of battle after amassing an army for two hours

Oh man, the hours I've spent on the first Cossacks back in the day. Absolutely loved that game. Interested to see how this one turns out.

Tizoc

Sorry for asking this but could someone provide a gameplay video that'd give a good idea of what the gameplay's like?

I forgot I added this to my wishlist! Steam just sent me a notification today that it is out. I've never played any of these games before, but I love RTS games. And this looks fun.

Damn what a stealth release. I'm surprised it's only 20 bucks. I think that's a smart move because myself and others who fondly remember the older games might jump in at that price just because of the lineage.

Deadstar

This looks to be more age of empires than command and conquer but we need good RTS games so I'll probably buy this if it helps them make more.

Corsick

A modern day STALKER 2 with the original team and a fully fleshed out engine that can support its open world is probably my #1 dream game at the moment. It's incredibly unlikely from what I hear though. Is the dev team even still together?

Edit: Same team as STALKER, brainfart on my part, right in the OP too. This is good to see either way!

nem8

Neo Member
Gonna grab this today i think.

I have not played the older Cossacks games but i like the setting and the oldschool RTS feel im seeing.

Also read some of the reviews and im not really bothered by it being a remake.

LightInfa

So is it just a remake of the first game like steam reviews are saying or is it new?

Its a remake - if you look at the screenshots every building and unit you see were in the original. While something new would've been very cool, the original is such a classic I don't really mind.

Akai__

The game launched 2 days ago and weren't it for the the tiny ads on NeoGAF, I wouldn't even have noticed. Where was the marketing for this game?

Did anyone play it yet? Is it as good as the previous titles? Had lots of fun with those.

Theonik

The game launched 2 days ago and weren't it for the the tiny ads on NeoGAF, I wouldn't even have noticed. Where was the marketing for this game?

Did anyone play it yet? Is it as good as the previous titles? Had lots of fun with those.
Gsc game world is a small Ukrainian studio. Marketing their games is hard.

Top Bottom