• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a "Metroid Souls" work?

heringer

Childish is comparing every game to Souls games or asking every game to be a Souls game or populating every other action RPG thread with Souls evangelists.

It's not a discussion, anyway, just some daydreaming from a child wanting his beloved game to take over a franchise that doesn't need to be anything like the Souls games and only Souls fanatics can't see why.

Another childish response. You sound exactly like an annoyed child.

Who is asking for anything? Who am I asking? You? Is this thread directed at Nintendo or FROM Software? And I am a Souls fanatic now? Because you said so? Did I entered another action RPG thread asking for Souls? Do you have any evidence? Am I comparing every game to Souls? Don't be ridiculous. Don't dump me with clueless fanatics just because you can't handle the notion of your favorite games being considered in a way you do not approve.

eliochip

Right now Metroid isn't doing anything so I'll take a Metroid Souls.

Souls games are more like Castlevania games IMO with the RPG mechanics though

Mael

Not that I want every game to be Souls (it's not even among my favorite series), but I can see people thinking "Mario + Final Fantasy? LOL no" back in the 90's and yet Super Mario RPG is a beloved game in the genre. I'm glad some devs can think outside the box!

Teenage me was really, really, really, really, really, really hyped for Mario + Final Fantasy.
I searched for that game for something like 5 years because they hated Europe back then.
I was one of the most enthusiasts on the idea of a colorful Nintendo shooter/paintball game, years finally vindicated by Splatoon you have no idea.
SSB (and me before that) proved that a less gritty genre shifted games for popular genre were absolutely interesting to play and popular to boot, so why not a shooter or something?
If they go with a nonsensical mashup my 1st instinct is absolutely I wanna try it over any kind of disgust.
I'll even defend stuffs like Federation Forces on the concept alone because why the fuck are spinoffs for if not for that kind of stuffs?

ZiZ

I've always thought of souls games as the natural evolution of the metroidvania genre in 3D.

I think it would be a great fit. Metroid's style lends itself to the From's style well (solutude, exploration, character progression, minimal storytelling, freaky characters). And it's different enough to make it interesting and not just a re-skin of dark souls.

I imagine it would be in 3rd person with mostly projectile attacks (I wouldn't call it a shooter though). Make it faster than souls. More emphasis on movement and traversal (jumping, climbing, morphball). No exp or builds, or leveling, you find an energy tank you increase your max HP. You find gear, weapons and upgrades.

EXACTLY. I just want another good 2D Metroid game. No weird story-focused shit, no 3D FPS shit.
arnold-schwarzenegger-suspicious-true-lies-squint-not-sure-if-serious-14064209608.gif

The biggest complaint against Metroid Prime is Samus controlling like a tank rather than a nimble ninja. Souls style games have even more stiff controls, and people would wonder why Samus can't jump and flip all over the place.

Personally, I'd like Metroid to further explore it's horror elements.

Metroid Souls would be the best Metroid game in what, 10 years? At least, maybe more.

That one fan of Federation Force is going to come post about how the internet was mean to the game and it was actually amazing.

Toxi

Banned
After replaying Dark Souls 2's DLCs, I'm reminded of just how much better the level design on display is than Other M.

I don't think even if you combined all of the BSL's areas together, they would come close to as engaging as Shulva or Brume Tower. And let's not even get into the majesty of Dark Souls 1's first half.

I don't know if I'd want "Metroid Souls", but I sure as hell want any future 3D Metroid to be taking level design notes from games like the Souls series, instead of the wretched half-baked Ninja Gaiden Other M was.

The biggest complaint against Metroid Prime is Samus controlling like a tank rather than a nimble ninja. Souls style games have even more stiff controls, and people would wonder why Samus can't jump and flip all over the place.

Personally, I'd like Metroid to further explore it's horror elements.
Said complaint is demonstrably from a vocal minority.

breadtruck

I havent played a Souls game. I did try Bloodborne, and I thought it was junk.

So based off that, Im 100% against this idea.

disco

One thing I appreciated in Other M was the attempt to create a fast-paced game and that was always a Metroid quality to me and whilst I do understand this wasn't a huge aspect of Metroid Prime I do feel the pace of Dark Souls doesn't quite gel with what makes a Metroid game.

After replaying Dark Souls 2's DLCs, I'm reminded of just how much better the level design on display is than Other M.

I don't think even if you combined all of the BSL's areas together, they would come close to as engaging as Shulva or Brume Tower. And let's not even get into the majesty of Dark Souls 1's first half.

I don't know if I'd want "Metroid Souls", but I sure as hell want any future 3D Metroid to be taking level design notes from games like the Souls series, instead of the wretched half-baked Ninja Gaiden Other M was.

Said complaint is demonstrably from a vocal minority.

True, it's from a vocal minority. But to your main point, Souls level design serves a very different purpose than Metroid's. Souls level design is presented with a focus of how it affects your encounters with enemies. While Metroid has this too, it tends to focus more on how you navigate the environment itself. I don't believe Metroid needs to take cues from the Souls series at all, and that includes level and world design (afterall, Dark Souls world design took cues from the original Metroid). It smiply needs to remember what it once was.

Toxi

Banned
True, it's from a vocal minority. But to your main point, Souls level design serves a very different purpose than Metroid's. Souls level design is presented with a focus of how it affects your encounters with enemies. While Metroid has this too, it tends to focus more on how you navigate the environment itself. I don't believe Metroid needs to take cues from the Souls series at all, and that includes level and world design (afterall, Dark Souls world design took cues from the original Metroid). It smiply needs to remember what it once was.
You're right, that's a better request. Make Metroid what it once was. The Metroid series already has multiple perfectly fine blueprints for a good game.

Jobbs

Banned
Fromsoft making a Metroid game would be the most exciting gaming news of my lifetime.

I know that on a surface level there's not a lot of obvious similarity between Dark Souls and Metroid, but the reason Dark Souls resonated with me so much when I first played it in 2011 is because it made me feel the way Super Metroid made me feel when I was a child. It felt like anything was possible.

I feel like Fromsoft would be able to understand and interpret the best aspects of classic Metroid as well or better than anyone else.

Would that be possible, and what Metroid staples do you think could fit well in the Souls formula?

I don't know that any specific aspect or mechanic from Souls could or should be applied to Metroid, but more of a design philosophy: The world ought to feel and be indifferent towards the player. This notion runs very contrary to Nintendo's usual philosophy. I think that's part of why Nintendo has so much trouble handling the franchise. They've spent years trying to force it to be anything and everything other than what a lot of core fans actually want it to be. Rather than chasing something else they should have focused on their existing fanbase and grown it (like how Fromsoft did with Souls -- They didn't grow their userbase by trying to force Dark Souls to be more like other types of games. They instead stayed laser focused on their creative vision and on their core fans and they have been rewarded for it).

Would you rather have that or Metroid Prime 4 by Retro?

Fromsoft. I never liked the direction of the Retro games, even though the first one got some things right it was fundamentally flawed as a Metroid game (IMO).

You're right, that's a better request. Make Metroid what it once was. The Metroid series already has multiple perfectly fine blueprints for a good game.

Yes. The challenge, of course, is to present it in a modern context. It's not like Nintendo can't do it... They've done it with Mario and Zelda. They need to have faith in it though, and give it the time, money, and love it deserves. And of course, it needs to be in the hands of a competent developer.

Nesther

From doesn't really do the "find a new cool ability to unlock new areas, previously inaccesible", which I love about Metroid. They do that with keys and such, which is very different.
Now if they could take what makes Metroid so good, and infuse it with their flair, I'm all in. Plus we'd finally get a new Metroid which is cool.

Toxi

Banned
From doesn't really do the "find a new cool ability to unlock new areas, previously inaccesible", which I love about Metroid. They do that with keys and such, which is very different.
There is one exception: The Orange Charred Ring in Dark Souls 1. Unfortunately, it was tied to the worst areas in the game.

Alphahawk

I think the Souls series is an evolution of the 3D adventure, like how Zelda OOT was back in the day, and Tomb Raider was before that. So should it curb elements from these games? Absoloutley , but I'm a bit hessitant to say it should have all the trappings. As much fun as running around with ghosts of other bounty hunters and reading cryptic notes left by other players, I'm not sure that's a progressive step forwards. I think Nintendo should work to capture the atmosphere and dread of those games but then put their own spin on it, much like how Metroid Prime isn't Halo.

I will fully admit to being a stodgy old man about Nintendo and 3D: I just don't like it.

I like my Marios to be Super Mario World, my Zeldas to be Link to the Past, and my Metroids to be Super Metroid.

That said, BotW was the first 3D Zelda to win me over, so it's possible someone brilliant could make me like a 3D Metroid, but Prime was absolutely not what I wanted.

Ritzboof

i like to think FROM is capable of making non-souls games. im sure they would make a good metroid game in the vein of metroid

metroid doesnt need dark souls mechanics, though. theyre similar in very basic ways, but i will never understand how people can think the two would mix from a gameplay standpoint. theyre two entirely different things...

Jobbs

Banned
metroid doesnt need dark souls mechanics, though. theyre similar in very basic ways, but i will never understand how people can think the two would mix from a gameplay standpoint. theyre two entirely different things...

Dark Souls reminded me of Super Metroid not because of specific mechanics -- it doesn't have agile movement or high jumpy platforming -- but the overall frame of mind behind the design, which I'd argue is more important, is similar. A feeling of indifference toward the player. The feeling that this world would go on existing whether you stepped foot in it or not. The feeling that anything is possible.

Any mechanics from the Soulsborne games I can think of that aren't already reflected in some way in the Metroid series would ruin it.

Metroid doesn't need any of that to be excellent, but you can still imagine how it would turn out if a talented developer introduced some of these aspects.

I remember a lot of people saying things like "Zelda doesn't need open world". They are right, it doesn't need open world, but I sure am glad Breath of the Wild was made.

I'm not JUST saying Metroid doesn't need these elements, but rather that Metroid would not benefit from these elements. It's easy to imagine how an open world could benefit Zelda, it's easy to imagine how a game whose combat relies mostly on shooting could be shifted into a first person perspective. It is not easy to imagine how the Souls formula would in any way benefit Metroid while still maintaining a Metroid essence.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the clash between Metroid's blaster focus and the Souls series being mostly melee, the way that high mobility Metroid tradition (such as the morph ball, grappling hook and screw attack) would mesh with the grounded deliberate Souls formula, as well as why Metroid needs Souls-like stats when it already has a clear progression system. Please, if you have a moment to respond to these points, I'd appreciate it. They keep being brushed over.

jviggy43

In a lot of ways Souls' is very clearly inspired by Metroid. Interconnectivity, lore being told through in game descriptions rather than outright story telling. I'd say this game is already in the vein of a souls' like game. But maybe a more pronounced influence might attract a larger audience? Weird thats how it works in 2017.

Souls games don't work with only having shooting weapons, which is why we have a high-tech robot Souls-like game where you bash people with a club.

MoonFrog

Rather not, no. The games don't play at all alike. They aren't about the same things.

About all they share in common is an interconnected world, a focus on atmospherics, and a sense of being largely alone.

They also both share those things with, say, classic Resident Evil.

Top Bottom