• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Black Panther surpass Terminator 2?

as the next great action blockbuster? what do you think
giphy.gif

VAL0R

Banned
Nah, I don't think so. While I think BP looked fantastic in Civil War, the whole growing purple glowy armor skin and yellow glowy armor skin look and feel pretty videogamey to me.

Relativ9

What a strange comparison. Surely a better one would be if can eclipse something like Dr Strange, another recent Marvel 1st movie. Black Panther and T2 have practically nothing in common.

Last edited:

Soltype

Definitely not happening. Personally I'm not excited for black panther at all, wish they had gone with Hounsou.He's been trying for the movie for a while.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Sorry but that was the most random post I have ever seen seen lol.

I'm curious why you think this over something like Civil War or something that from the mcu that is aiming higher than an origin movie.

God Enel

No.
Black panther is like another superhero movie whereas T2 is like one of the best action movies of all time.

I don't see what's so special about black panther. I saw the trailer and it's like every other marvel flick. But I'm still going to watch it at the cinema :)

VAL0R

Banned
Many are questioning the OP's motive for making the thread. I just assumed OP was referring to the impossible hype surrounding it and how it's literally being heralded by some (and repeated by media outlets) as the film that may save blockbusters and/or Hollywood.

MC Safety

Many are questioning the OP's motive for making the thread. I just assumed OP was referring to the impossible hype surrounding it and how it's literally being heralded by some (and repeated by media outlets) as the film that may save blockbusters and/or Hollywood.

People like to champion stupid stuff. For some reason it's important a movie they like be loved by everyone else, that it be better than every other movie ever made, and is more financially successful than anything ever put out.

Not only is this behavior ridiculous, it's often made even more so by the fact the film they're advocating for is still pre-release.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Maybe I've just been blind recently but I feel like I haven't felt or seen the hype that you're referring to?

Mahadev

You can't be serious. Marvel's safe by the numbers crap isn't in no way shape or form even comparable with that Cameron did with Terminator. Marvel is so predictable that I haven't watched the movie but I know how the movie is gonna turn out. Fun enough to say you didn't waste your money (at least for some people) but mediocre and forgettable.

EBE

Yeah, but only truly enlightened individuals who have read Darwin and Newton's works will realize it.

highrider

Banned
It’s going to do some damage. It’s the right movie, at the right time, with the right cast. The Black Panther, just as a superhero is a pretty compelling story and world. It does have the Marvel sheen but my sense is that it works for this.

OH-MyCar

I don't even see any of the new Star Wars films surpassing Terminator 2 at this point, let alone anything from the Marvel line.

Mahadev

I don't even see any of the new Star Wars films surpassing Terminator 2 at this point, let alone anything from the Marvel line.

You're saying this as if the new Star Wars movies are that good. Like Marvel movies they're just popcorn flicks and no one from the studio is trying to make them anything better.

OH-MyCar

You're saying this as if the new Star Wars movies are that good. Like Marvel movies they're just popcorn flicks and no one from the studio is trying to make them anything better.

Oh no, I'm in complete agreement there. If any of these franchises had any hope of rivaling T2, it was going to be Star Wars rather than Marvel or DC. Now it's pretty clear that we're steadily losing hope on that one.

Although I guess "hope is like the sun" and if you forget that it's there...
200.gif

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
What makes a superhero film uniquely incapable of reaching the heights of something like T2? Black panther is getting amazing reviews so far. As far as my motive......T2 is seen as the greatest blockbuster ever. Many are saying BP is the greatest marvel MCU film So I thought it was an ample comparison

Pejo

Kingsman 1 probably already did, for my personal tastes.

-Great Action
-Great Actors
-Great Soundtrack
-Exploding Necks

Plus the fight scenes were amazing and it's got Samuel L. Jackson.

Anyways, BP looks just like any other Marvel movie made in the past 5 years. Still gonna watch it.

What makes a superhero film uniquely incapable of reaching the heights of something like T2? Black panther is getting amazing reviews so far. As far as my motive......T2 is seen as the greatest blockbuster ever. Many are saying BP is the greatest marvel MCU film So I thought it was an ample comparison

If a star wars movie can't do it a super hero movie has no chance

Mister Apoc

Demigod of Troll Threads
Why don’t you guys think BP will live up to the hype it’s getting great reviews many are saying it’s the best MCU film yet. This film is going to change the industry the way Newton’s principia changed science

Last edited:
Black Panther looks to be more or less in line with other Marvel movies. I don't see it being the next classic like T2 but who knows.

Mahadev

Why don’t you guys think BP will live up to the hype it’s getting great reviews many are saying it’s the best MCU film yet. This film is going to change the industry the way Newton’s principia changed science

Because the reviews are bullshit 90% of the time. Aside from the transparent political reasons this and Wonderwoman were guaranteed to get great scores (even though WW is also very mediocre) the most important reason is that critics give blockbuster Disney movies good scores almost all the time because it owns the industry and a very big portion of the ad revenue of the sites these reviews are posted on. Last Jedi was a huge pile of crap and has 91% fresh score ffs, Disney owns these fuckers.

Last edited:
Because the reviews are bull**** 90% of the time. Aside from the transparent political reasons this and Wonderwoman were guaranteed to get great scores (even though WW is also very mediocre) the most important reason is that critics give blockbuster Disney movies good scores almost all the time because it owns the industry and a very big portion of the ad revenue of the sites these reviews are posted on. Last Jedi was a huge pile of crap and has 91% fresh score ffs, Disney owns these ****ers.

What are your top three family-friendly movies?

To answer the OP: Yes, because Black Panther isn't rated R.

Last edited:

Is this serious?? No way. The trailer looks pretty standard marvel...

Jezan

Because they say the same for most Marvel movies, most reviews said Ragnarok was the best of the best and they also said that for Guardians 2 and for....

But me? I'm just tired of Marvel movies, they the same always, so I will just wait for Captain Marvel, because it's the only Marvel movie I care about(in 2013), but it will arrive too late, so...

Mahadev

What are your top three family-friendly movies?

To answer the OP: Yes, because Black Panther isn't rated R.

You mean PG13, right? Definitely not the best but off the top of my head Jurassic Park, The Dark Knight, Forest Gump. Specifically I mention Jurassic Park because it might not have been a masterpiece or something but it showed how popcorn movies should be made, fleshed out characters, great action and suspense and a good story. Marvel's crap can't even compare with 90's popcorn movies.

Osukaa

Based on what I've seen so far I think it will be a good movie but I don't think it will reach T2 level of greatness. Dammit now I can't get that T2 theme music out of my head!

Mohonky

Based on what? It looks terrible.

Top Bottom