• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Doom3 be pulled of on the Gamecube?

no idea how much the xbox hard drive is being used, but say if hypothetically the xbox port doesn't use the hard drive at all, then i don't see why the GameCube version wouldn't look just as good if it was a proper port.

nubbe said:
You can even run it on a Voodoo card... so why not...

It also looks like shit on a Voodoo 5 5500.

Doom 3 could possibly be ported to even PS1 but it wouldn't be Doom 3 anymore.

The question I think is can the XBOX version be ported to GC without significant image quality compromise. The answer I think is yes. I also think the sales would be awful.

Of course. It's just much easier and cheaper to make an Xbox port of a PC game, and the market for first-person shooters on the Xbox is a much more lucrative one thanks to Halo.

jarrod

Banned
Teddman said:
Normal mapping would go bye-bye, would it not?
I dunno... in an older thread on normal mapping (around the time Riddick came out) the techie verdict seemed to be that both GC and DC were capable of normal mapping while PS2 wasn't (though it could likely achieve similar results using a different process). Anyone care to comment on that?

Borys

Banned
Doom 3 went to Xbox not because it's the strongest console out there but because there's a market for this kind of game (FPS) on the green console. The majority of Xboxers (that's a neutral term, right?) love shooters and they'll love Doom 3.

Really, I don't see any point in porting D3 to GameCube. Pay me $100 and I'd still couldn't find it. 95% of people interested in Doom 3 has already beaten it, the rest will get it next week on Xbox. That leaves 0% of market for the Cube version.

Speevy

Banned
I just want to know what makes a game like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or PoP: WW look so bad on the Cube. Do any third party developers get what makes the Cube more powerful than the PS2 or is that just one of those development things that works on paper and not in practice?

Teddman

jarrod said:
I think a good question to ask would be which platforms can pull off normal mapping. GameCube? PS2? Dreamcast? PSP?
This would suggest only Xbox can of the current three consoles:
GP: On the PC, Doom 3 is going to be something of a resource monster. When it was first proposed as an Xbox game was there any concern about getting it to run on a console?

KB: John Carmack made some really good decisions in architecting the engine for scalability. We knew that PS2 and Gamecube were out of the question due to particular graphics requirements (global illumination, normal mapping, shadow volumes etc.), but we knew Xbox had a shot. The key concerns were memory and performance. With only 64MB RAM on the Xbox and a 733Mhz processor, we knew it would be quite challenging --- but not impossible. The team here was really excited to be working on this project --- a chance to work on Doom! --- so we were definitely going to take it on and prove that a great Xbox version could be made. Now, after many months of development, I think it's safe to say that players will be stunned when they see the type of graphics fidelity that Doom 3 is able to present on the Xbox.
http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/features/34068.shtml

Chiggs

tahrikmili said:
It also looks like shit on a Voodoo 5 5500.

The question I think is can the XBOX version be ported to GC without significant image quality compromise. The answer I think is yes.

You know, according to Carmack, the Xbox is the only console capable of handling the way the Doom III engine handles bump-mapping, lighting and shadows.

Also, the ram limitations on the GameCube would definitely come into play. I personally don't think it would be possible without a drastic reduction in image quality.

EDIT: Beaten.

Borys

Banned
jarrod said:
I think a good question to ask would be which platforms can pull off normal mapping. GameCube? PS2? Dreamcast? PSP?

Heh. I remember old 486 demos written in assembler that had one bump-mapped texture usually in 320x240 with one or two dynamic light-sources flying around.

Come to think of it, I remember one Amiga demo that did it.

GameCube - no sweat
PS2 - maybe some small room with one character, I'd love to see a normal-mapped Snake model.
DreamCast - spinning normal-mapped cube with SEGA logos on sides :)
PSP - sure, possible, maybe we will even see it?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
bob_arctor said:
Well, RE4 convinced me the Gamecube can do much more than I previously thought, so I vote yes.

RE4's technical side is ENTIRELY different from Doom 3 (though I prefer RE4's visual design simply due to the terrific artists).

The Gamecube has the least useable ram of all 3 consoles. I also doubt it can handle the normal mapping and lighting being thrown at it. I seriously doubt it. From what I've seen of the Flipper's specs, it's a very impressive machine, but it does not even compare with a Geforce 3. The GF3 is much more capable, yet the flipper is much more capable than the GS in the PS2 (no brainer).

Also, when moving around in a room, you can hear the Xbox HD go crazy, like it's loading the next area. That, and the game is over 3GBs while a GC disc can hold less than 2 (1.8 IIRC, If i'm not mistaking it with UMD). The texture and model data folder itself is over 1.9GB.

Speevy said:
I just want to know what makes a game like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory or PoP: WW look so bad on the Cube. Do any third party developers get what makes the Cube more powerful than the PS2 or is that just one of those development things that works on paper and not in practice?

You don't seem to get how things work. Seeing as GameCube versions of games always sell far less on GameCube than other consoles (unless it features a Nintendo property), game companies allow a much, *much* lower budget to the GameCube version of games. So what happens? They take the PS2 version, give it to a couple of programmers in an isolated, dark, and barbwire-fenced corner of the office, and make them do a quick and dirty port of the PS2 version. That's how it goes.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Teddman said:
Normal mapping would go bye-bye, would it not?
Splinter Cell CT and REMake (I think) use normal maps. The only problem with normal mapping is memory use (normal maps use rgb instead of grayscale), which on GCN is limited.

Borys

Banned
wobedraggled said:
Carmack also said that doom wouldn't run on the Amiga.

Doom and Quake both were ported and ran fine

Holy shit I totally forgot about this.
You've just win this thread.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Doom 3 runs on non-programmable T&L video cards (ala Geforce 2). The GC flipper is akin to a DX7 solution (i.e. no programmable shaders). Obviously, Doom 3 runs on video cards that don't have programmable shaders, so IMO, Doom 3 "could" be accomplished on the GC. It would involve trickery of sorts though since the GC doesn't have programmable shaders. It would also probably be a bitch to port it to the GC though.

In essence, I think it "could" be done, but some sacrifices would have to be made.

jarrod

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Also, when moving around in a room, you can hear the Xbox HD go crazy, like it's loading the next area. That, and the game is over 3GBs while a GC disc can hold less than 2 (1.8 IIRC, If i'm not mistaking it with UMD). The texture and model data folder itself is over 1.9GB.
Well, just do what Xenon will have to a spring for a 2nd disc. :)

Oh and GOD is 1.56GB (single layer). UMD is 1.8GB (dual layer).

Borys

Banned
Dr_Cogent said:
Doom 3 runs on non-programmable T&L video cards (ala Geforce 2). The GC flipper is akin to a DX7 solution (i.e. no programmable shaders). Obviously, Doom 3 runs on video cards that don't have programmable shaders, so IMO, Doom 3 "could" be accomplished on the GC. It would involve trickery of sorts though since the GC doesn't have programmable shaders. It would also probably be a bitch to port it to the GC though.

In essence, I think it "could" be done, but some sacrifices would have to be made.

Exactly.

Doom 3 doesn't need any fancy pixel-shaders just bandwidth. LOTS of raw and brutal bandwidth.

Well, it could be surely be ported, but I don't know with which result. I'm not a great GC gamer, I only buy the most important games, but I don't remember any game that uses all together the kind of graphics that Doom 3 does (dynamic lighting and normal mapping, basically). Maybe if given to a capable developer that instead of porting it recodes it entirely for the platform capabilities, they could achieve good results. To create an impressive game like RE4, developers had to "cheat" by cutting off a portion of the screen and having a smaller rendering surface, so maybe it would require some similar trick.

After all, if Wreckless was ported to PS2 and GC, nothing is impossible. And remember that Riddick is being ported on PS2 too! But results may vary ;-)

Teddman

As a matter of fact, the folks at Vicarious Visions didn’t even consider putting Doom 3 on the GameCube or PS2. When asked why these two consoles wouldn’t be getting the game, programmer John Carmack said, “…We just didn’t feel that it would be true to what the experience… was really designed around. The GameCube and PS2 just don’t have the graphics horsepower to drive the lightning technology or what we’re trying to do with the bump maps and normal maps…”
http://www.gamer-talk.net/preview105.html

jarrod said:
Well, just do what Xenon will have to a spring for a 2nd disc. :)

Oh and GOD is 1.56GB (single layer). UMD is 1.8GB (dual layer).

Thanks for getting that straight.

That's a nice idea in theory, but both discs will use a lot of the same model data, the same textures, the same environment data, and stuff like that. That's where you basically end up getting a LOT more than just a 2nd disc, because you will have to replicate the same data over different discs.

bigNman

I remember in a video interview on GameSpot the CEO of ID said that a gamecube port was a possibility but not a ps2 port. But they hadnt really looked into it so I dont know if they bothered to find out.

Spider_Jerusalem said:
After all, if Wreckless was ported to PS2 and GC, nothing is impossible. And remember that Riddick is being ported on PS2 too! But results may vary ;-)
Have you seen the screenshots of those games? If the D3 GC port ends up anything like that, I'll vomit all over the GC. I'm serious too.

Chiggs said:
You know, according to Carmack, the Xbox is the only console capable of handling the way the Doom III engine handles bump-mapping, lighting and shadows.

Also, the ram limitations on the GameCube would definitely come into play. I personally don't think it would be possible without a drastic reduction in image quality.

EDIT: Beaten.

According to carmack it's also not possible to play Doom 3 on Voodoo class hardware, but it can be made to work. Only, you lose bump mapping and volumetric shadows. It ends up looking like shit. That was my point earlier on. What Carmack and id are referring to is portability of the engine without having to cut out technology. I also don't believe Carmack knew what he was talking about there, just because Flipper doesn't have programmable shaders support doesn't mean it can't handle normal mapping. Carmack is known to have spoken out of his ass about platforms he knows nothing about, see Quake being ported to Amiga. Therefore, I think it could be made to work on GameCube and I think the compromise would be reasonable, but I don't think there's a market of any kind.

Most devs spend more time with PS2 hardware, few years ago it was deemed a fact that the GC was incapable of doing fur-shading and Rare proved them wrong. Then there's the problem of generalization that goes on in the development community, I get the feeling that if it doesn't do it the way that the Xbox does it, then it can't be done. Most developers have yet to touch "indirect texturing unit" of the GC TEV(texture environment), which is what Factor 5 used to do Dot3 bump mapping in Rogue Squadron 2 and Rebel Strike.

The Abominable Snowman said:
Have you seen the screenshots of those games? If the D3 GC port ends up anything like that, I'll vomit all over the GC. I'm serious too.
In fact, I was actually hinting that anything can be ported, but I wouldn't bet on the results :lol

And I'm very curious to see the first screenshots frome the Riddick PS2 port: are there any released yet?

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Well, it could be surely be ported, but I don't know with which result. I'm not a great GC gamer, I only buy the most important games, but I don't remember any game that uses all together the kind of graphics that Doom 3 does (dynamic lighting and normal mapping, basically). Maybe if given to a capable developer that instead of porting it recodes it entirely for the platform capabilities, they could achieve good results. To create an impressive game like RE4, developers had to "cheat" by cutting off a portion of the screen and having a smaller rendering surface, so maybe it would require some similar trick.

Wrong, whether or not you choose to believe Kobayashi, in the April issue of EGM, there's a interview with him. When asked about the borders, he said it didn't have anything to do with the GC hardware. It was a camera issue and increasing the view space for the gamer.

ge-man

Bacon said:
Guys, Max Payne couldn't even run on GC because of RAM limitations...

And it barely could on the PS2, yet it was still made. The only time that technology matters is when you have a system like the GC where the sales aren't likely to matter. If D3 could make money as a GC port, it would be ported in spite of the limitations.

ge-man

OG_Original Gamer said:
Wrong, whether or not you choose to believe Kobayashi, in the April issue of EGM, there's a interview with him. When asked about the borders, he said it didn't have anything to do with the GC hardware. It was a camera issue and increasing the view space for the gamer.

This is what I suspected, but most people didn't believe it. The only benefit that the game would recieve from making the cut would be in terms of clipping. I doubt that they hacked half the viewing space just to do that. I wonder if the real problem was that they couldn't make the game with the anamorphic mode in mind and have it look right for gamers with regular televisions.

Teddman said:
Well, show me a GameCube title with normal mapping.

Its all about perception of the hardware, and effort. Most developers have never tried it.

Crytek has acheived it.

Polybump is the same thing as normal mapping.

Polybump is a new technology developed by Crytek to enhance 3D-rendering quality without increasing the overhead in real-time rendering. Polybump offers huge benefits for real-time 3D games for the PC, Xbox and Game Cube game systems. It allows users to create and render an extremely low poly model using an ultra high poly model while displaying virtually no visible difference between the two. Rendering time is greatly decreased.
http://www.crytek.com/polybump/index.php?sx=polybump

ge-man said:
This is what I suspected, but most people didn't believe it. The only benefit that the game would recieve from making the cut would be in terms of clipping. I doubt that they hacked half the viewing space just to do that. I wonder if the real problem was that they couldn't make the game with the anamorphic mode in mind and have it look right for gamers with regular televisions.

Yeah, look at the Spinter Cell series. Your limited to a 4:3 viewing space, its only when you go back to your standard third person view, that your capable of seeing more of the srrounding area.

Chiggs

tahrikmili said:
According to carmack it's also not possible to play Doom 3 on Voodoo class hardware, but it can be made to work. Only, you lose bump mapping and volumetric shadows. It ends up looking like shit. That was my point earlier on. What Carmack and id are referring to is portability of the engine without having to cut out technology. I also don't believe Carmack knew what he was talking about there, just because Flipper doesn't have programmable shaders support doesn't mean it can't handle normal mapping. Carmack is known to have spoken out of his ass about platforms he knows nothing about, see Quake being ported to Amiga. Therefore, I think it could be made to work on GameCube and I think the compromise would be reasonable, but I don't think there's a market of any kind.

Interesting...

OG_Original Gamer said:
Yeh, maybe this was the their real motivation, but it's a fact that the game actually uses a lower-than normal resolution, so obviously they were allowed to pump the graphics much more than if the image was rendered at full resolution. They may have chosen to cut the borders for whatever reason, but it obviously gave them a good advantage, performance-wise.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
gamepro said:
The day Duke Nukem forever comes out is the day doom 3 goes on gamecube.

We all know Doom 3 won't be coming on the GC. We are just arguing the technological possibility of it is all.

Top Bottom