• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Insomniac port Sunset Overdrive to PS?

yurinka

I doubt that Sony would use Insomniac to do a port of it. They would farm that out to a Sabre type company and have Insomniac putting their efforts into Spiderman and Wolverine.
However, Sony did register the trademark and Insomniac have said they really want to do another one.
With regards to the failure of Sunset on Xbox. MS did fuck all to promote the game. Just the fact that it's a Sony first party game will give it good publicity.
I agree, I highly doubt Sony would waste Insomniac resources on Sunset Overdrive. In fact, think Sony won't even ask a porting studio to do something with it.

Sony has a ton of way more successful IPs that Insomniac can use on future projects: the other ones created by Insomniac, the Marvel ones, the Sony IPs created by other studios.

And obviously, Insomniac can also create new IPs: they did it successfully with Spyro, Ratchet or Resistance, and turned Spider-Man in the best selling superheroes game ever, securing a super successful game series. I'm pretty sure Wolverine will be also a super successful adaptation. So they can do it again with more Insomniac adaptations or brand new IPs.

In addition to this, Insomniac did very cool VR games like Edge of Nowhere, Song of the Deep or Stormland and cool AR experiments for Magic Leap One.

It wouldn't make sense to waste their talent on Sunset Overdrive.

Maybe Phil Spencer has some teams working on God Of War: Remix, Spiderman: Remix and Returnal: Remix.

...or perhaps it isn't that simple.
The difference is that Sony owns the Sunset Overdrive brand.

Maybe they signed a deal where they can't port it, but Sony can make a sequel or a reboot/remake highly changing the game, using the Sunset Overdrive game. Or even make a Sunset Overdrive movie/tv show if they would consider it makes sense (not happening, because the game wasn't a hit).

Microsoft instead doesn't own the IPs or the license to use the IPs of GoW, Spider-Man or Returnal. Meaning MS can make very similar games, but without using these names and characters.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I agree, I highly doubt Sony would waste Insomniac resources on Sunset Overdrive. In fact, think Sony won't even ask a porting studio to do something with it.

Sony has a ton of way more successful IPs that Insomniac can use on future projects: the other ones created by Insomniac, the Marvel ones, the Sony IPs created by other studios.

And obviously, Insomniac can also create new IPs: they did it successfully with Spyro, Ratchet or Resistance, and turned Spider-Man in the best selling superheroes game ever, securing a super successful game series. I'm pretty sure Wolverine will be also a super successful adaptation.

Agreed. When you consider the success of Ratchet series, it might make more sense to have that port team bring over those PS2, PS3 ones and remaster the PS4 one or something.

Or even port over the first 3 Resistance games.

So its hard to say when or if Sony will waste much energy on Sunset Overdrive.

yurinka

Agreed. When you consider the success of Ratchet series, it might make more sense to have that port team bring over those PS2, PS3 ones and remaster the PS4 one or something.

Or even port over the first 3 Resistance games.

So its hard to say when or if Sony will waste much energy on Sunset Overdrive.
Yes, if Sony ever wants to remaster or remake old Insomniac stuff, it would make more sense to ask an external studio to do Ratchet or Resistance stuff, not Sunset Overdrive.

In fact, if Nixxes ported Spider-Man to PC and the engine is the same (but a different version) they had in the Ratchet and Resistance, maybe in the future they could put them to port them to the latest version of the engine, that is ready for PS5 and PC.

Sony is making a gazillion cinema and tv adaptations of SIE IPs, so at some point they may want to do Ratchet or Resistance adaptations and would be a good idea to release them shortly before these adaptations.

Last edited:

digdug2

I really wish that they would do a remake, as I'm sure that Insomniac Games has all of the source code, assets, and everything else. It probably wouldn't be the most difficult thing to port over and then add all of the bells and whistles. Imagine the game in 60FPS+RT, or if you have a 120 set, 40FPS+RT mode. Holy shit, I think it would probably make a killing.

This. It’s shocking that Insomniac is making the games they are making today if Sunset Overdrive is where they came from.

Insomniac is to Sony what Rare was to Nintendo in N64 times, in that it seems they're only a good developer when they have the other's oversight. They had a weird period in the early 2010's where they tried to get away from Sony and just made a bunch of shit that failed and nobody liked. Remember Fuse, too? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(video_game) -- and also some random VR games nobody played.

Fortunately they came to their sense.

Last edited:

Banned
Game was better than Spiderman

GIF by moodman

Top Bottom