• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Insomniac port Sunset Overdrive to PS?

I know that Insomniac own the IP rights for Sunset Overdrive, and Sony registered the trademark for it in 2021, however the original game was published by Microsoft.
I haven't read anything about MS giving the publishing rights to Sony, and after the horseshit Sony has done around ABK, I doubt they would.
Insomniac have said they want to do a sequel, but you really would want to have the original released before any sequel.

Could Sony port the original without Microsoft's permission as they were the publisher?
Did MS give them publishing rights back like they did with Alan Wake and Remedy?

Agent X

Microsoft own the publishing rights for the first game, who knows when the contract is up.

Hey, perhaps Sony and Microsoft could agree to a "friendly" game swap. Sony/Insomniac could produce Sunset Overdrive for PlayStation systems, and Microsoft/Ninja Theory could produce Heavenly Sword for Xbox systems.

Also the only game that I can remember that has a legit Neogaf direct call out to.

I recall that the original Scribblenauts on DS had a NeoGAF reference in the game.

Kabelly

Hah. I finished this for the first time last year and they mention Neogaf in the final level. Spiderman defintely takes a lot of DNA from this game so it was interesting playing this after that fact. It's suprisingly short.

It is kinda cringy at times but I was amused.

To my understanding of the law MS's publishing rights were for the Xbone. As owner of the IP there's no reason Sony cannot publish a port to PS.

ironmang

Surprised to see all the hate for it. I played it for the first time a few weeks ago and had a blast. Really fun gameplay and great music.

Thought the combat was better than Spidey too.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Speaking of old games...
WHERE IS GOLDENEYE!?
Pierce Brosnan Hello GIF by James Bond 007

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd be kinda pissed if they'd resurrect that IP over doing something with the Resistance series.

I tried it a couple of times but I didn't see the appeal. The humor wasn't landing, the gameplay was a bit of a mess... Even Recore was more fun to me if we're talking about that tiny pool of XBONE exclusives.

solidus12

I’m glad PlayStation acquired Insomniac.

The holy trinity of the PS2 era is finally assembled.

Naughty Dog
Sucker Punch
insomniac Games

Three

To my understanding of the law MS's publishing rights were for the Xbone. As owner of the IP there's no reason Sony cannot publish a port to PS.
That's not true though. It depends what the publishing rights gave them, just as it isn't true for Titanfall 1 or Dead Rising 3 even today.

Mobilemofo

This. It’s shocking that Insomniac is making the games they are making today if Sunset Overdrive is where they came from.
Disruptor for the playstation is where they came from. Almost sent em under, but were saved by Feckin spyro 😄 resistance followed next I think, and they were pretty good. The first games multiplayer was a spike grenade fuckfest 😄 loved it.

Disruptor for the playstation is where they came from. Almost sent em under, but were saved by Feckin spyro 😄 resistance followed next I think, and they were pretty good. The first games multiplayer was a spike grenade fuckfest 😄 loved it.
I’m aware of the games they’ve made.

Robb

Gold Member
I guess they should be able to do it. Not sure if it’s worth it though, I didn’t find that game particularly enjoyable.

Larxia

Yep, it's really not great.
It's... really one of my favorite games ever.
I honestly wasn't expecting much, because it didn't seem that crazy in videos, but when I finally played it, what a joy it was.

I'm a huge fan of arcade / scoring games, like Tony Hawk, SSX and all, which don't exist anymore sadly, and I also love fast paced action games. This game is exactly the mix of that.

It's really up to the player to make the game fun or not though, if you decide to do the bare minimum, you can technically just play it like dead rising and it's not really fun, it's pretty generic. But if you want to have fun and embrace the gameplay to be creative, it's an insane game with so much freedom.

I really think this game has the most fun traversal gameplay of any games I ever played. Plus the open world is for once very fun, because it's not filled with boring sidequests everywhere, instead it has a bunch of environmental and various arcade / scoring challenges everywhere which are super fun and so addictive, it really reminded me of Tony Hawk in that way.

It really felt like a game out of time, it's a game from early 2000s, in the best ways, made with modern tech, and it was a fantastic experience. I miss games like this so much, I really was happy to finally be able to play something new like this.

edit: reading all the comments and seeing how everyone think it's trash, it makes me sad :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Shakka43

Hey, perhaps Sony and Microsoft could agree to a "friendly" game swap. Sony/Insomniac could produce Sunset Overdrive for PlayStation systems, and Microsoft/Ninja Theory could produce Heavenly Sword for Xbox systems.

I recall that the original Scribblenauts on DS had a NeoGAF reference in the game.
Uncharted 4 has the NeoGAF logo on the Jeep Nate and Sully drive.

Banned
Hey, perhaps Sony and Microsoft could agree to a "friendly" game swap. Sony/Insomniac could produce Sunset Overdrive for PlayStation systems, and Microsoft/Ninja Theory could produce Heavenly Sword for Xbox systems

"hey Sony, you get this really good game from us, if we get this terrible and laggy pos from you!"

anthony2690

Banned
If they do, they should launch it on their sub service, so it is easily accessible for playstation players.

I know it started as an Xbox exclusive, but if it meant the IP had a chance to continue, I'd happily see it ported to playstation with a decent push.

As it's easily my fave insomniac game, when it came out, I couldn't put it down at all, I literally played 45 hours in a week when it came out.

It was just pure fun to play. :)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Surprised to see all the hate for it. I played it for the first time a few weeks ago and had a blast. Really fun gameplay and great music.

Thought the combat was better than Spidey too.
Very interesting shift in narrative considering its similarities to Ratchet and Spider-Man.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I know that Insomniac own the IP rights for Sunset Overdrive, and Sony registered the trademark for it in 2021, however the original game was published by Microsoft.
I haven't read anything about MS giving the publishing rights to Sony, and after the horseshit Sony has done around ABK, I doubt they would.
Insomniac have said they want to do a sequel, but you really would want to have the original released before any sequel.

Could Sony port the original without Microsoft's permission as they were the publisher?
Did MS give them publishing rights back like they did with Alan Wake and Remedy?
My understanding is that no, MS owns the publishing rights indefinitely, but Insomniac owns the IP rights, so they could do a sequel on PS but not port the original.

This also applies to their VR titles like Stormland and Unspoken, they could continue the franchise but they can't just port the same game to new hardware.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The thing is that nobody gives a shite about Sunset Overdrive.
Yall need to then since it's one of the most fun arcade third person shooters on the market. Honestly think the combat is superior to Spiderman.

And yes insomniac should make a sequel for Playstation or at least a port. Would be a great title to accompany spider man 2 and returns and there's quite a but from the first game they could improve

Kvally

Banned
I'd be kinda pissed if they'd resurrect that IP over doing something with the Resistance series.

I tried it a couple of times but I didn't see the appeal. The humor wasn't landing, the gameplay was a bit of a mess... Even Recore was more fun to me if we're talking about that tiny pool of XBONE exclusives.
Resistance games are their best games IMO.

Liamario

Banned
I bought it on steam. Enjoyed what I played, but got tired of the aesthetic and gameplay. Just don't have the time to invest in it like I would have had 20 years ago.

The Alien

Banned
Played it and enjoyed it as a first next gen experience (last gen).

Pretty sure if Sony/Insomniac wants, they can do a sequel. But SOD sold like 1 million copies. Insomniac's next game, Spiderman, sold like 15 million copies. Makes the choice pretty obvious.

Larxia

Game is shite though. You get nothing from playing this if you already have played Spiderman.
That is absolutely not true...
I played both, and I enjoyed Sunset Overdrive far more.

Spider-man is fun too, but it really lacked depth to me, everything was too automatic and scripted.
The big difference is that Sunset Overdrive requires you to play well for it to look good, while spider-man will look more "impressive" even if you do the bare minimum, because it's made to look cool and be more simplistic. I did enjoy spider-man too, but Sunset Overdrive offered a much more rich gameplay, with combo based combats and scoring, a lot more variety in the challenges, missions and combats it offered, it's a game that allows a lot more freedom and creativity.

Top Bottom