• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Microsoft be saving a Big BC update list for the PS3 launch?

BuddyC

Vark said:
I'd hazard a guess (could be wrong so don't shoot me) that the barbie game used an un modified version of Renderware. They got Renderware based games working because of GTA. Therefore other more basic Renderware based games work with the emulator.
Bingo. This was even confirmed in a GameSpot interview a while back.

Alcibiades

sonycowboy said:
You're assuming Sony's going to do alot better.

We haven't heard a peep on this issue and I wouldn't be surprised if folks have to hold onto their PS2's just a little bit longer.
except we have heard that when 40-some titles were having problems out of the 1000+ PS2 library, Sony said it wasn't good enough...

Juice

Amir0x said:
it matters to me.

there we go, now we've got both sides covered

I am ambivalent with regard to it. Though, if pressed, I would prefer an all-or-nothing approach over the half-assed 360 implementation.

We have now entered the third dimension of debate. Maybe Sony would like to come in and up the ante?

Vark

Juice said:
I am ambivalent with regard to it. Though, if pressed, I would prefer an all-or-nothing approach over the half-assed 360 implementation.

We have now entered the third dimension of debate. Maybe Sony would like to come in and up the ante?

I'll go 4D!

I only care about 100% BC with the PS3 IF Sony can make PSOne and PS2 games not look like ass on an HDTV.

Otherwise PS2 and PSOne games go back to my little 19" interlaced Component TV where they don't make my eyes bleed.

ghostmind

Still no Mercenaries. By the time Microsoft gets around to it, Mercs2 will probably be out and I won't give a crap anymore... I've given up on BC...

underpromised and overdelivered

for all the shit people give Peter Moore for that quote, it is actually kinda true - a lot of people expected like 20-30 games to work when they first mentioned the "top selling titles" thing

BuddyC said:
Bingo. This was even confirmed in a GameSpot interview a while back.

I don't really know much about how 2D fighters are coded, but could this same princible be applied to the wealth of 2D fighters for xbox that i hope hope hope eventually see a BC update?

Vark

:lol

I was just going to say, right about the time people start bitching is about when the (Quarterly it seems?) Updates go up.

Insty

Interesting that Lego Star Wars II is already BC before it even comes out.... also nice that Half Life 2 was updated again.

SuperPac

Back Compat Update said:
Lego Star Wars II

Is this the first time a title that's not out yet has been on the Back Compat list? If so, that's kinda impressive.

Too bad the only two games I have on this list are... Burnout 3 and Sneakers
(hey, it was a TRU exclusive that I have for collector value)

there goes the "they don't want to make it BC to take away sales of the 360 version" theory (Lego SW II)

Spy Hunter: Nowhere to Run is another unreleased game that's been added, and it's an awesome game

I'm biased

Vark

Insty said:
Interesting that Lego Star Wars II is already BC before it even comes out.... also nice that Half Life 2 was updated again.

The new Spyro and Spyhunter are up as well.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Xbox360 BC doesn't matter because if you go up and ask a counter jockey "is xbox360 backwards compatible" they will just say "some." Then, most likely the next question will be "does a b and c work?" and the counter jockey will most likely just shrug at them. It's a nice feature that wont sell any xboxes because of the fact the games it covers is so damn random.

For people who already own it, it might be nice if they would update with good games.

sp0rsk said:
Xbox360 BC doesn't matter because if you go up and ask a counter jockey "is xbox360 backwards compatible" they will just say "some." Then, most likely the next question will be "does a b and c work?" and the counter jockey will most likely just shrug at them. It's a nice feature that wont sell any xboxes because of the fact the games it covers is so damn random.

For people who already own it, it might be nice if they would update with good games.

i'd say it matters.. i never had xbox but am going to pick up a 360 and there are a few titles i missed by not owning an xbox.

it's certainly not a deal breaker, but i definitely look at that int he value of my purchase and would possibly already have one at this higher pricepoint if it had full BC

sp0rsk said:

at gamestop/eb at least, I think it mentions in the POS which games work

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
meltpotato said:
i'd say it matters.. i never had xbox but am going to pick up a 360 and there are a few titles i missed by not owning an xbox.

And they probably won't be BC, and if they are they probably won't work very well.

That's my experience, anyway. I certainly wouldn't buy any Xbox games if I didn't have the original hardware to play them on.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
meltpotato said:

it's certainly not a deal breaker, but i definitely look at that int he value of my purchase and would possibly already have one at this higher pricepoint if it had full BC

Well obviously youre someone whos informed before they go out and buy one. Most people won't be.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
And if anyone from Microsoft is listening (and we know you're out there) can the next update please remove support for Kabuki Warriors? You know it's for the good of humanity...

In answer to the original thread question - No, I don't think they have any secret list of games

Would it make good business sense in trying to cross-sell Xbox games to people migrating from the PS2 to 360? Yes absolutely... Let's hope MS has enough sense to figure that out...

Looking at the list though, outside of a couple of titles, the majority of the good titles are already B/C so the next step for MS is to really make sure they are cross-selling these titles well and generating incremental revenue...

Of course I doubt 3rd parties would be too keen on people spending their bucks on old games and limiting the tie-in ratio for new 360 games this Fall, so it remains to be seen how aggressive MS will be...

arne

iapetus said:
And if anyone from Microsoft is listening (and we know you're out there) can the next update please remove support for Kabuki Warriors? You know it's for the good of humanity...

istockphoto_479943_i_can_t_hear_you.jpg

lalalalalala i can't hear you!

Flynn

Insty said:

I wonder what the barrier is for 360 compatablilty when you're making a new game. Is there a suite of code or an expensive licence that must be purchased to make a game work?

Mrbob

Valkyrie Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy 12
Okami
God of War 2
Guitar Hero 2
Yakuza

Will all these games work on PS3 BC? I would venture to say yes. Give me these games upscaled to 720P and it is all good.

I personally feel BC for PS2 titles on PS3 is more important the PS1 titles on PS2. PS2 isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and to have the PS3 scale all PS2 games to 720P is GRAVY.

Rayne.S

Banned
DarienA said:
We didn't get full BC going from the PSOne to the PS2, I sincerely doubt we're getting full BC from the PS2 to PS3.

Sjeeez, you fit the dutch daying of "Mierenneuker" .... 0.1% not backwards compatible is hardly "we didn't get full BC"

unomas

Banned
Burnout 3
Fatal Frame 2
Counter Strike
Serious Sam
The Suffering

Some nice additions, but give me the original Topspin please!

Rayne.S

Banned
Fatal Frame 2 ( Project Zero 2 PAL ) doesn't seem to be working all that nicely. Their is something completely wrong with that pulsating lighting going on in the beginning of the game *barf*

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
dirtmonkey37 said:
They haven't added the games that matter though.....

Like:

Conker
Psychonauts
JSRF
PDO
Oddworld: Stranger
Shenmue II

And I know that someone is going to respond to ^^^^^ by saying

"Well, with each update they can't appeal to all the different groups of people, so stop thinking about yourself and wait until 'so and so' is added"

But to them I say:

DAMMIT! THE 6 GAMES I LISTED ARE WHAT THE **** EVERYONE ELSE IS ASKING FOR. DON'T GIVE ME THAT CRAP! EVERY DAMN PERSON HAS AT LEAST THREE OF THOSE GAMES MENTIONED ABOVE ON THEIR "SOON-TO-BE BC" LIST, SO SHUTTUP.

What's funny is that MS doesn't seem to notice how many people ask for the aforementioned list of games, yet they continue to make sometyhing like "The suffering" albeit, an above average game, BC.......

HokieJoe

krypt0nian said:
This is the thread where sonycowboy got accused of trolling Sony.

Yeah, no shit. Sonycowboy is pretty level-headed, but I don't think anyone can reasonably consider him an Xbot. :)

Wulfer

Thanks Arne for making my day and keeping up the good work. Good timing I might add I think this thread was about to become a hate thread. I know this stuff takes time just keep it up. Panzer Dragoon Orta has to be in there sometime.

I added Counter-Strike, Ghost Recon: IT and Burnout 3 to my list and I love all of those.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Rayne.S said:
Sjeeez, you fit the dutch daying of "Mierenneuker" .... 0.1% not backwards compatible is hardly "we didn't get full BC"

When you people learn the difference between full(100%) and not full (anything less than 100%), then we can talk.

Zaptruder

Banned
HokieJoe said:

Yeah, no shit. Sonycowboy is pretty level-headed, but I don't think anyone can reasonably consider him an Xbot. :)

To be fair, if you take that post in the context of itself, it's pretty damn trollish. Whether he intended it or not is another issue entirely.

But yes, we're not assuming anything when we're saying the PS3 will do much better with BC.

JB1981

Mrbob said:
Valkyrie Profile 2
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy 12
Okami
God of War 2
Guitar Hero 2
Yakuza

Will all these games work on PS3 BC? I would venture to say yes. Give me these games upscaled to 720P and it is all good.

I personally feel BC for PS2 titles on PS3 is more important the PS1 titles on PS2. PS2 isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and to have the PS3 scale all PS2 games to 720P is GRAVY.

Will any upscaling be applied if BC is hardware and not software based?

Top Bottom