• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could Microsoft be saving a Big BC update list for the PS3 launch?

Wulfer

That would be one way to shore up support in that one area that is lacking right now. I would think this is one area Sony plans to attack Microsoft on.

Kittonwy

Banned
WULFER said:
That would be one way to shore up support in that one area that is lacking right now. I would think this one area Sony plans to attack Microsoft on.

Why would one save a big BC update so people have to wait and not being able to enjoy xb games on the 360 until some other console launches? That's stupid.

GhaleonEB

I doubt it. If anything, I'm expecting a bunch of new functionality added to Dashboard in the fall update, more than any BC support. They've already said a fall update is coming.

Foil

Doubt it. I'm guessing they've pretty much pulled the plug on bc updates. So much for the rest of my Xbox collection. Hopefully they have a few more updates. Atleast patch up the voice skipping bug in Kotor and fix the slowdown in the Max Payne games.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Amir0x said:
What benefit would this have for MS vs. Sony at this point? :lol

I really wanted to make fun of Wulfer for creating this thread... oh hell why not.

Wulfer come on you can do better than this... how long did it take you to think this one up?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Anyone else think that BC is essentially abandoned? Or has Microsoft said otherwise?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That makes no sense whatsoever... there's no reason to hold back BC games, and surely no reason to hold it back for the PS3... emulation is alot harder than you think - especially emulation of a console that was just a generation before it...

People are making too much of a big deal about a last-second addition to the 360 just for fans - I know I bought a 360 for next-gen and arcade games, not to play my old games - I have my original Xbox for that...

It's a hell of a bonus to have it ofcourse, especially with Halo and Ninja Gaiden, but come on...

Wulfer

Well, I know a lot people aren't gonna let Microsoft live it down with key titles like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Rallysport Challenge 2, Phantom Dust, Conker, and a long list of other titles people want.

You're assuming Sony's going to do alot better.

We haven't heard a peep on this issue and I wouldn't be surprised if folks have to hold onto their PS2's just a little bit longer.

Raistlin

sonycowboy said:

We haven't heard a peep on this issue and I wouldn't be surprised if folks have to hold onto their PS2's just a little bit longer.

We haven't heard a peep? Other than the official announcement of full BC?

Seriously, until there is some new information that contradicts what has already been said ... your statement is nothing but FUD.

Troll much?

As to the initial question posted in this thread ...

... no.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Onix said:
We haven't heard a peep? Other than the official announcement of full BC?

We didn't get full BC going from the PSOne to the PS2, I sincerely doubt we're getting full BC from the PS2 to PS3.

Amir0x

Banned
sonycowboy said:

Yes, I feel the same way! I'm not convinced the BC will be over 90%, which is what I need to be acceptable.

Kittonwy

Banned
sonycowboy said:

You need to change your username (or someone needs to change that for you) because it's incredibly misleading.

They're putting PS2 hardware in PS3 instead of using software emulation, why the **** isn't Sony going to do alot better? Does the xbox play xbox games better than 360 using BC? You bet.

Kittonwy

Banned
Amir0x said:
Yes, I feel the same way! I'm not convinced the BC will be over 90%, which is what I need to be acceptable.

Do you have over 90% of PS2 games? And having actual PS2 hardware built-in, would it be all that difficult to get good BC on the PS3? It's not like they're using emulation here.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
DarienA said:
We didn't get full BC going from the PSOne to the PS2, I sincerely doubt we're getting full BC from the PS2 to PS3.

That's really iffy.... we pretty much did get full BC going from PSone to PS2, except for 10 or so titles.

Wulfer

I don't get it what wrong with re-tagging some of these games and putting budget prices on them(nothing above $30) if the emulation gets worked out? I mean take Ninja Gaiden for instance the freaking game looks 10 times better now than it did before because of HD. These games could easily be re-released in the slower months what's wrong with that business picture? Plus they increase their amount of games and shelf space. Seem's like a good business plan to rebrand some of these games Halo for instance as Xbox and Xbox 360 compatible. Then atleast those games could be put in with the 360 catalog. That would give Microsoft even more time to slowly add titles from the back catalog as time passes.

Juice

This from the department that brought you, "hey guys, Wii's biggest secret feature is better graphics! Nintendo's been hiding it all along!"

Amir0x

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Do you have over 90% of PS2 games? And having actual PS2 hardware built-in, would it be all that difficult to get good BC on the PS3? It's not like they're using emulation here.

no, but one of the best benefits of BC is being able to go back and try games you DON'T yet own.

pr0cs

Mojovonio said:
Its alot of effort, though effort that could have been better spent making games like KOTOR work and not Barbie.

Geeze, do people still believe they actively persued Barbie as a BC title?

Mojovonio

Banned
pr0cs said:
Geeze, do people still believe they actively persued Barbie as a BC title?

I never said that. I know why they got it to work, but still, in the effort they used to get barbie to work, they could have been halfway to get something good to work.

arne

Kittonwy said:

did I miss something? last I heard sony was going to be using a lot of emulation on their BC for PS3.

serious question.

Amir0x

Banned
Mojovonio said:
I never said that. I know why they got it to work, but still, in the effort they used to get barbie to work, they could have been halfway to get something good to work.

they didn't use any effort to get barbie to work, though. that's what he's trying to say. They got other games to work, and it just so happened barbie ended up working too as a result

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
arne said:
did I miss something? last I heard sony was going to be using a lot of emulation on their BC for PS3.

serious question.

Dunno. And stop worrying about that and keep prograaming the SF3:3rd Strike emu.

arne said:

serious question.

yeah but they haven't really talked about it in details, that was just "up in the air" talk last year by Ken Kuturagi. This year an IBM dude said they achieved 98% bc with PSOne games, only 47 weren't working.

Vark

Mojovonio said:
I know why they got it to work, but still, in the effort they used to get barbie to work, they could have been halfway to get something good to work.

Then you obviously DON'T know why they got it to work. The 'effort' they used was putting the disc in and finding out 'hey, this shit runs, put it on the list'.

I'd hazard a guess (could be wrong so don't shoot me) that the barbie game used an un modified version of Renderware. They got Renderware based games working because of GTA. Therefore other more basic Renderware based games work with the emulator.

Amir0x

Banned
arne said:

serious question.

Well, in terms of quality of BC, we have these comments "recently":

Click

As to the direct question, supposedly In an interview in UltraOne magazine in Japan, what happened was Sony initially planned to do PS2 BC through emulation. It was turning out badly, so they decided that at least at the start until it gets up to snuff they will do emulation by including the hardware.

Foil

All I know is...

hurtbadia9.jpg

...if MS doesn't make Freedom Fighters, Buffy, JSRF, and MVP 2005 compatible. Then fix up Kotor and the Max Payne's.

pr0cs

Mojovonio said:

I don't think you know why they got it to work if you think they put ANY effort in barbie at all. It came for free when they managed to get a more important title to work. Barbie was a freebie for getting Halo2 to work for example.

snatches

Vark said:
Then you obviously DON'T know why they got it to work. The 'effort' they used was putting the disc in and finding out 'hey, this shit runs, put it on the list'.

I'd hazard a guess (could be wrong so don't shoot me) that the barbie game used an un modified version of Renderware. They got Renderware based games working because of GTA. Therefore other more basic Renderware based games work with the emulator.

Thank God someone else said it. I am so sick of saying exactly this in every one of these threads.

Arsenal

Unless they are going to include a PS2 emulator in there, its not going to matter. They are better off focusing on new titles going forward.

Top Bottom