• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could the Ps5 do quick resume if Sony desired it to?

FMX

Technically speaking, quick resume is hardware related right? Does the XSX and SX have internal hardware that the Ps5 doesn't have? They both have SSD's with Sony's being the superior from what I understand so what is stopping them from implementing this awesome feature.

Belthazar

Yes, unless Microsoft patented it. If that's the case, then Sony would have to do it differently to avoid infringing on it.

Edit: as for what's stopping them: those things take time to develop and implement without breaking things in the games and system. It's not like they can flip a switch to make it work overnight, that's not how those things work

Last edited:

Banned
it is possible to implement, but it would require a whole new system to be implemented into their OS and it would require them to take away additional SSD space to be reserved for quick resume states.
the former is not realistic because it would take time and money that might not really result in a gain in revenue.
the latter is not realistic because the PS5 already has a really small amount of free space on the SSD. and adding that would mean at least 60 to 80 GiB of space gone to be on the level of the feature on Xbox

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it is possible to implement, but it would require a whole new system to be implemented into their OS and it would require them to take away additional SSD space to be reserved for quick resume states.
the former is not realistic because it would take time and money that might not really result in a gain in revenue.
the latter is not realistic because the PS5 already has a really small amount of free space on the SSD. and adding that would mean at least 60 to 80 GiB of space gone to be on the level of the feature on Xbox
John Candy Reaction GIF

RespawnX

If I remember correctly PS5 SSD has quite low write speeds. So, could be implemented but would be slower. At least in the process of dump creation when switching the game. A comparable implementation wouldn‘t be in favour of Sony. However, they could use the fast drive in expansion slot.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am telling how it is... there is no way Sony sees any monetary value in implementing it and implementing it would cut away an additional 60 to 80 GiB of space from the SSD.

what exactly is the issue with that? that is simply how it is. there is no way Sony would do that.
Yes, but you sure have a way with how you word things, embellishment in your original post.

But hey, we remaster threads here, so legooooo.

Last edited:

lynux3

I am telling how it is... there is no way Sony sees any monetary value in implementing it and implementing it would cut away an additional 60 to 80 GiB of space from the SSD.

what exactly is the issue with that? that is simply how it is. there is no way Sony would do that.
I don’t understand why you’d need 60-80GB of extra space when memory is limited to 16GB not including whatever the OS takes up at any moment in time.

Banned
I don’t understand why you’d need 60-80GB of extra space when memory is limited to 16GB not including whatever the OS takes up at any moment in time.

on XBox you can have at least up to 5 games in quick resume at all times.
games can use ~13GiB of RAM, 5 x 13 = 65

we don't know for sure how much space Microsoft reserved for quick resume nor do we exactly know how much RAM games can use on either system as far as I know.
so the least amount needed is around 65GiB, maybe more or maybe less.

if we assume 14GiB or RAM we land at 70GiB
if we assume 15GiB or RAM we are at 75GiB (15GiB is unrealistic tho)

I also said "at least" is because it depends on the game. but i am pretty sure 5 games are guaranteed, if you use smaller titles that don't use as much RAM you can have more in quick resume. I think someone tested it and had up to 10 games in there but he had 360 games and XBox One titles he tested it with... I think it was around 10...

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Technically speaking, quick resume is hardware related right? Does the XSX and SX have internal hardware that the Ps5 doesn't have? They both have SSD's with Sony's being the superior from what I understand so what is stopping them from implementing this awesome feature.
No because the PS5 doesn't even have a CPU or any RAM.

Its just a hollow box with a hamster wheel inside.

sainraja

Personally.....it'd be great if it had an option like quick resume but it's not really needed. I don't find myself using it on Xbox that much.

The only one time I kind of found it useful was when I had put the system on standby (left FH5 running — kinda forgot that it was running). I came back to play some Destiny 2 and switched over to FH5 after quitting Destiny 2 and it was where I left off but majority of the times when I walk away from my systems I quit out of a game; I don't leave anything running. So for me, quick resume is just a nice to have and isn't really needed. I am fine with focusing on one game to play and only leave it running in certain situations (which both consoles allow me to do.)

Not trying to downplay it but I do think Xbox players oversell it or play it up a little too much since it's an 'exclusive' Xbox feature.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah, I guess. However it would take them quite a bit of work, since the whole quick resume is based on virtual machine where xbox is running games. PS5 have no such thing and it runs games on HW directly, not through pass-through. Save states exist without VMs, but it's an issue with resuming it's state and with how data is stored when they run a game, it's exactly compatible with unix file system, so they would have to a lot of engineering to make it work.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
they can , just like how they "fix" the cmos issue : P, depends on how many people wants it

Tripolygon

Banned
on XBox you can have at least up to 5 games in quick resume at all times.
games can use ~13GiB of RAM, 5 x 13 = 65
I am almost certain memory is compressed before dumping. They are not just dumping 14GB of RAM into SSD. It can be implemented easily if they want to and it won't surprise me if it is on the roadmap of features. Sony published lots of patents on sharing game states like a demo where you can share a level to another user.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Only if they are using virtualization or can afford to add it from a perf standpoint.

If they started w/o virtualization; it's unlikely they will add it though.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yes its certainly possible. But they have different priorities.

It would likely takes up a bigger SSD reserve which would put a spanner in there plans.
They probably rather spend the cash on advertising and game development.

Pedro Motta

Well, from my experience, games on PS5 that support the activity cards and have crazy fast loading make Quick Resume redundant, from the OS menu just click on an activity card and in 3 seconds you're inside the game ready to play. I suppose the more time passes we will see more games that fully utilize these features.

Banned
I am almost certain memory is compressed before dumping. They are not just dumping 14GB of RAM into SSD. It can be implemented easily if they want to and it won't surprise me if it is on the roadmap of features. Sony published lots of patents on sharing game states like a demo where you can share a level to another user.

we don't know that tho, and honestly I'm not sure if they could compress THAT fast... I mean they have a compression block in there to help with at least decompression, but it's hard to say.
to me it seems too fast to actually compress and then decompress + write on SSD + read from SSD withing 5 seconds or less (which is how fast you can usually switch from one XS game to the next)

Last edited:

Banned
Well, from my experience, games on PS5 that support the activity cards and have crazy fast loading make Quick Resume redundant, from the OS menu just click on an activity card and in 3 seconds you're inside the game ready to play. I suppose the more time passes we will see more games that fully utilize these features.

activity cards are not much supported tho, and some really don't do anything... I don't know if they patched that but in Ratchet for example I tried to use the cards once or twice and literally all that did was launch the game normally... it didn't work at all

so if first party games don't fully support it, don't expect third parties to support it too much.
it is a sad truth that many third party devs will ignore any specialized feature of a system's OS if the console manufacturer doesn't force it onto them.

the example I always bring up on this topic is how the PS4 handles Spotify/MP3 playback.
it is an OS level feature that developers can implement an Xbox 360 like behaviour that mutes in-game music as soon as the OS detects that a music player (Spotify or the MP3 player) is playing music.
the issue, do you know any game that does that? nope... most likely not. because the only 3 I have ever come across that do that are EDF4, EDF5 and Rocket League... and after a patch about a year ago the feature stopped working in Rocket League.

even Quick Resume on Xbox is not 100% supported by every game... it is very spotty in terms of support. I personally don't use it because Ubishit games completely bugged out on me when using it so I basically do not trust any third party with it.

TL;DR third party devs suck when it comes to supporting OS features of consoles

Last edited:

Banned
I don't think so. Quick Resume is effectively hitting 'pause' on a virtual machine and PS games don't run in a VM as far as I know.

It's a very common feature of virtualization software. But enabling it on a host machine is whole different ballgame.

yeah that could actually be an issue as well. the XBox systems use a 3 OS system where games run on their own VA and their own OS while the system/app stuff runs on a different OS, with a 3rd OS in place used for communication between the 2 others

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

This takes another 100GB of main SSD storage right? If people want it I guess it wouldn't be bad to have the option but I wouldn't cut down my own storage for it. And I'm trying to be LESS ADHD about gaming lol.

yurinka

Sure, they could implement it (or a slightly modified version if patented) if desired. I assume they decided that insn't worth to sacrifice several dozens of GBs of HDD for it when the games already load very fast without it, specially considering stuff like activity cards to boot directly on a specific part of the game skipping menus and so on.

I don't think so. Quick Resume is effectively hitting 'pause' on a virtual machine and PS games don't run in a VM as far as I know.

It's a very common feature of virtualization software. But enabling it on a host machine is whole different ballgame.
They already do it for the suspend and resume feature. It would be basically the same but storing in the SSD several games instead of one and without needing to go to stand by mode to suspend a game. Plus obviously reserving a part of the HDD for it to secure there is always enough SSD for it.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

They already do it for the suspend and resume feature. It would be basically the same but storing in the SSD several games instead of one and without needing to go to stand by mode to suspend a game. Plus obviously reserving a part of the HDD for it to secure there is always enough SSD for it.
Suspend and resume does not write to the SSD: the data is left in memory. That can be done w/o virtualization... a full memory dump, can't.

Suspend is not the same as quick resume.

Last edited:

Hoddi

we don't know that tho, and honestly I'm not sure if they could compress THAT fast... I mean they have a compression block in there to help with at least decompression, but it's hard to say.
to me it seems to fast to actually compress and then decompress + write on SSD + read from SSD withing 5 seconds or less (which is how fast you can usually switch from one XS game to the next)
The way that snapshots usually work on VM software is that memory contents are written to disk in two separate files. One of these files is the full memory map that gets written to disk, say, once every 10 minutes. And when you take a snapshot then the second file only contains the changes made since the first file was created and is usually far, far smaller.

The Xbox could, for example, write the full memory map to disk on each level load. If you then decide to switch games in the middle of the level then it would only need to write out whatever has changed since the last full memory write.

That does not make what I said any less true.

Also, the list is not up to date.
My point is that quick resume is hard to find. It would be better for me to buy multiple Series X and have standby for each family member than to try and hope for quick resume to be available.

IntentionalPun

In that case how is PS5 able to run in stand by mode consuming almost no power?
Because it takes very little power to leave data in memory.

Ask yourself how quick resume works on 5400 RPM HDDs of the PS4/Xbox One era.... and you will understand, it's just leaving the data in RAM lol (it would take like a full minute to write to disk/read from disk every time you went to "quick resume")

Top Bottom