• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could there be a new Mass Effect announcement next week during Microsoft's Inside Xbox?

Starfield

We know from Shinobi602 that there's going to be a "big sci-fi" announcement next week during Xbox's May event.
Microsoft themself confirmed that there is 3rd party games to be shown which means no Halo Infinite either.
We know that Ubisoft is showing AC Valhalla so maybe EA could be there aswell with a new Mass Effect announcement...or Ubisoft is finally showing more from Beyond Good & Evil 2...haha
We know that it isn't Starfield (Shinobi602) so...what is it?

What big sci-fi game could be shown next week? A new IP? Maybe. However I think it may have something to do with Mass Effect.

ME 1 was published by Microsoft, only with the 2nd title the game came over to Playstation 3. EA and MS have strong partnerships so it may be possible that they are going to co-marketing a new Mass Effect title.

We know that a new Mass Effect title is in early development https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-plans-a-complete-overhaul-for-anthem-1839892415 (Jason Schreier, 5 months ago). Given this article is almost half a year old and a new Mass Effect title may be already in the works even before that they could easily show us a short trailer teaser during next weeks event.

What do you think?

martino

Only Mass effect related thing that could hype me would be a remake
But i would try anything new in sci-fi coming from EA ( but not day one and with good user feedback )

Last edited:

splattered

I think you may be onto something.

Shinobi is a big fan that pays close attention to the franchise, I've seen him using the double eye emoji on recent ME posts on Twitter.

Something's definitely happening soon.

***then again what if the big sci-fi related thing is new footage of the completely reworked anthem?

Maybe we will finally be getting the visuals and awesome looking cataclysms etc that were shown in the original e3 trailers because the new systems are finally up to the task?

Last edited:

CaptainClaw

If they remake Mass Effect do you know how happy I'll be.

If they remake Mass Effect 1-3. I won't be able to cope I know it's an old gen game but this will feel next gen than a lot of next gen offerings.

GreyHorace

Question, do gamers still care about Mass Effect? After the disaster that was Andromeda, are people still hyped for another game?

And would we trust the current day Bioware to make it? I'm still baffled that EA hasn't closed down their studio like all the others.

TheSweeper

Question, do gamers still care about Mass Effect? After the disaster that was Andromeda, are people still hyped for another game?

And would we trust the current day Bioware to make it? I'm still baffled that EA hasn't closed down their studio like all the others.

Hell yeah I still care about Mass Effect. It's my favourite game series ever. I would be hyped for new stuff. But I also have to agree that ME:Andromeda was a disappointment, unfortunately.

I hope Bioware can return to the quality they were once known for. After ME:A and especially Anthem I am doubtful. Still, new Mass Effect stuff to look forward to, that'd make my year. I doubt it though. I think Dragon Age 4 will come first.

Compsiox

Banned
Are they announcing new games at this event? For some reason it felt like it would be titles we know about. I'm not feeling the hype I guess.

DS_Joost

Yes. Because Andromeda really wasn't as bad as the idiotic backlash made it out to be (except for the animations).

It was actually a good game. Shame everyone had to jump on the hate bandwagon.

ebevan91

Yes. Because Andromeda really wasn't as bad as the idiotic backlash made it out to be (except for the animations).

The game could've been salvaged but I guess all the complaints got to them so they just gave up on it. I hate that they didn't finish the story because I was pretty interested in it tbh. The game could've used a DLC or 2 to tie up loose ends.

Relativ9

I would love a Mass Effect prequel, I would love to be one of the humans to first discover the mass effect relay and make first contact with the alien races and council on the Citadel.

Temp0

Banned
Are they announcing new games at this event? For some reason it felt like it would be titles we know about. I'm not feeling the hype I guess.

First Time we see ingame gameplay footage from a nextgen console, don’t know why someone shouldn’t be hyped, unless you don’t care for consoles at all.

Compsiox

Banned
First Time we see ingame gameplay footage from a nextgen console, don’t know why someone shouldn’t be hyped, unless you don’t care for consoles at all.
I am a PC gamer, but I care about all things games. With that being said I'm interesting in seeing the full capabilities of the consoles, but I wouldn't get hyped for that. Gameplay from new games we haven't seen? I can get hyped for that.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
We know from Shinobi602 that there's going to be a "big sci-fi" announcement next week during Xbox's May event.
Microsoft themself confirmed that there is 3rd party games to be shown which means no Halo Infinite either.
We know that Ubisoft is showing AC Valhalla so maybe EA could be there aswell with a new Mass Effect announcement...or Ubisoft is finally showing more from Beyond Good & Evil 2...haha
We know that it isn't Starfield (Shinobi602) so...what is it?

What big sci-fi game could be shown next week? A new IP? Maybe. However I think it may have something to do with Mass Effect.

ME 1 was published by Microsoft, only with the 2nd title the game came over to Playstation 3. EA and MS have strong partnerships so it may be possible that they are going to co-marketing a new Mass Effect title.

We know that a new Mass Effect title is in early development https://kotaku.com/sources-bioware-plans-a-complete-overhaul-for-anthem-1839892415 (Jason Schreier, 5 months ago). Given this article is almost half a year old and a new Mass Effect title may be already in the works even before that they could easily show us a short trailer teaser during next weeks event.

What do you think?

Maybe Hellpointdev is announcing SciFi game Spacepoint for XSX and will then be known only as Spacepointdev. Could be a new Mass Effect, although it's likely too early just a year after Anthem. Starfield should be much further along. But if it isnt that, I dunno, maybe Star Citizen port? Hoping for something Star Wars related from EA, maybe Jedi Fallen Order 2. Which would of course be even earlier in development.

Last edited:

Arkam

I love the ME universe and ME2 is one of the best games of last gen IMO. So I am always ready for more! Sadly BioWare does not think I need more greatness and instead gave us ME3 and ANdromida.... we can just pretend they do not exist. And I have the solution! Pull a Final Fantasy.... Mass Effect 2-II

Last edited:

Ovek

7Member7
Recently replayed all of the Mass Effect games so Mass Effect 4 or bust. Only problem is I don't think the current Bioware is capable of doing it any justice.

God I hope not.

At the very most I'd be ok with a remaster of 1 and 2, but then let the rotting corpse be. They've done enough to ruin it forever already.

prag16

Banned
The game could've been salvaged but I guess all the complaints got to them so they just gave up on it. I hate that they didn't finish the story because I was pretty interested in it tbh. The game could've used a DLC or 2 to tie up loose ends.
This. It was a good game, even if somewhat disappointing, and I would have really liked to have seen the loose ends tied up... probably will never happen now.

abcdrstuv

Banned
I’d say a new Dragon Age is more likely, at least a trailer..

And apart from the latest disaster, BioWare has always been up and down - fix the faces and Andromeda isn’t so different from Dragon Age.. And Mass 2 was perfect, so it casts a positive light on the rest, which had some flaws..

A remaster/make would still be great -make it one game, Mass Effect: Shepard, standardize the interfaces and combat, or explain the shifts with writing, and maybe layer in more side quests etc.

Virex

Banned

It was as shit as everyone made it out to be compared to the trilogy. But I still enjoyed it and finished it.

abcdrstuv

Banned
For EA, it probably makes more sense to look at remakes/remasters for the Dead Space trilogy (never found an audience the first time but had great reviews) and Def Jam NY

DS_Joost

I guess there could be an announcement but I dunno if I’d be excited

Andromeda kinda killed it for me

Id Be happy for remasters tho

These days I don't know what the hell it would take to get Gaffers excited.

Most times when people have a problem with each and every game, it's on themselves, most likely.

Some people here are better off questioning whether they still like games at all.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

EA and MS have strong partnerships
You mean a strong partnership with money. If MS pays for marketing rights, like we see with various games. Sure.

I sadly feel like ME is dead, maybe we'll get a trilogy fully remastered. EA may be more willing to explore remasters despite initially not being interested this gen.

Forsythia

A remake of the original trilogy, hopefully with a new ending, so they can maken Mass Effect 4 and forget about Andromeda. Yeah, I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

dottme

BioWare tried to announce Dragon Age 4. So I‘m more expectI got to see news about Dragon Age 4 before Mass Effect.
If we see Mass Effect, it will really looks like BioWare is going bad and trying whatever they can to be back.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm still butthurt from Andromeda. However, a next gen Mass Effect...oh who am I kidding, I can't stay mad at you. C'mere :messenger_smiling_hearts: .

dottme

Doesn't stop them doing some pointless cock tease logo reveal.
I don’t think they’ll do a lot of stupid logo reveal.
the last one was really a desperate move after Anthem. They put all their resources and this game and they were probably expecting to have huge recurring revenue from it. Once they realize the disaster, they realized they need something to save them. But clearly, DA4 wasn’t ready at all.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It was as shit as everyone made it out to be compared to the trilogy. But I still enjoyed it and finished it.
The trilogy was shit as well. I liked that Andromeda tried to go back to Mass Effect 1, which in my book is by far the best entry in the franchise.

Moogle11

Banned
I'd guess it's more likely an Outer Worlds DLC or sequel announcement since MS owns Obsidian and while Bioware and Mass Effect are still with EA.

Fbh

I'd be in for a trilogy remaster. Specially if they put some work into it beyond just better resolution and performance.

But I'm not interested in any new games by """""Bioware""""""

ruvikx

Banned
The trilogy was shit as well. I liked that Andromeda tried to go back to Mass Effect 1, which in my book is by far the best entry in the franchise.

My face is tired after reading this comment.

Andromeda is shit. Literally. The shooting is bad, the AI is bad, the RPG elements don't work (neither the choices nor the upgrades matter) & the levels are simply small sandboxes with enemies & loot scattered across the map in an "inorganic" manner (which means it's both gamey in a bad way & a collectathon, i.e. both of which take the player out of the experience). Drive to point A, shoot enemies, drive to point B, scan item, drive to point C, enter Remnant ruins, solve shit puzzle. Rinse repeat.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I would love a Mass Effect prequel, I would love to be one of the humans to first discover the mass effect relay and make first contact with the alien races and council on the Citadel.

I LOVE this idea and I would absolutely LOVE a new ME based on this idea if only Bioware could forget about their SJW garbage and get back to making a great Mass Effect again.

Also, why Microsoft WHY didn't you buy Bioware back when ME was an Xbox exclusive instead of letting EA snap them up and destroy them???

Top Bottom