• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could this be the first real PS4 info? (pc.watch.impress.co.jp)

camineet

Banned
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2008/0929/kaigai469.htm

Deadm*** said:
Goto Hiroshige has received PSX4 spec info from Japanese developer sources who received preliminary spec from SCEI for developer feedback(whom Goto refuses to name due to NDA).

- SCEI has sent rough PSX4 spec to 3rd party developers for feed back. Based on the description, PSX4 is a Wii-tized PSX3, no more than 2X as powerful.
- SCEI wants to beat Xbox 3 to launch. 2011 is the deadline, or sooner.
- SCEI pulled all its engineers from IBM Texas, and there is no new CELL architecture being developed. PSX4 will use same CELL architecture with improvements.
- SCEI will dump XDR and use standard JEDEC memory type(GDDR3/DDR3) for main memory.

This actually sounds real, unlike everything else I've read.

Disappointing, but realistic, given PS3's position after nearly 2 years on the market,
and Wii's absolutely massive success.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Originally Posted by Deadm***:

rayallenfacepalm455.jpg

scary stuff if there's any truth to it, though -- if microsoft's thinking along the same lines, my days as a console gamer are numbered. it was a good run

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
If that's true, which I'm having a hard time believing, then wii has done exactly what I was worried about in the first place.

LaneDS

That would be quite interesting, and probably wise. No more $600 consoles at launch for Sony in the distant future, I'm sure.

Assuming it's true, I wonder if Microsoft will be following suit and offering a similar jump in power for their next Xbox. Which I wouldn't mind, personally. If the Wii can still impress me from time to time, I see nothing wrong with the HD consoles only going for a minor power upgrade in the next generation.

soco

have a hard time believing it, but stranger things have happened. it's still several years out so there's not much to really discuss on this as the plans can and will almost definitely change.

camineet

Banned
$299

....With.... improved (but not next-gen) CELL architecture, higher clockspeeds,
new Nvidia GPU (which could be the real improvement that is needed over PS3's RSX), more RAM. It could be like a really powerful PS3. The CPU power might only go up by 2x, but the GPU power could be a bigger leap. Even a current GTX 280 or 4870 would offer more than 2x more graphical muscle than RSX. Imagine what Nvidia could have completed by 2010 for a 2011 launch, and even something *less* than 100% state of the art bleeding edge for the time, as RSX was in 2006.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
A PS4 with the same specs as the PS3 would be fine with me really. Add in more stuff for physics and I'll be totally content.

There's barely anything that takes advantage of the PS3 out there anyway.

Baby Milo

- SCEI has sent rough PSX4 spec to 3rd party developers for feed back. Based on the description, PSX4 is a Wii-tized PSX3, no more than 2X as powerful.

crap...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Daante said:

It`s not like the consumer is choosing, and the ps3 even is behind the 360... o it`s all because of the wii - if the wii didn`t exist the whole casual ps2 fanbase would have bought those 400-600 machines at launch....

it`s all nintends fault.... *cry*

sullytao

I hope to god this isnt true. Let Nintendo be the casual machine and the rest stick to giving us the latest technology.

Polari

If it runs everything at 60fps and 1080p with reduced loading times and power consumption I'll be happy enough.

cw_sasuke

sullytao said:
I hope to god this isnt true. Let Nintendo be the casual machine and the rest stick to giving us the latest technology.

2x ps3 power is by instant casual by 2011 ? u guys are ridicilous :lol

Daante

cw_sasuke said:
It`s not like the consumer is choosing, and the ps3 even is behind the 360... o it`s all because of the wii - if the wii didn`t exist the whole casual ps2 fanbase would have bought those 400-600 machines at launch....

it`s all nintends fault.... *cry*

Iv said it before and i can say it again.
I give Nintendo much credit and respect for what they done with the Wii and how they expand the market. However maby im the type of consumer that dont like to "waggle" around with my controller in every game i buy and want to play. Yes the option to control a game in that way and if the game really works best with controlling it that way suits me well sometimes, as in Super Mario Galaxy for example.

But yeah next gen might be all about running and jumping around in your livingroom just to control and play a simple game, that would be so nice yeah..?

Wollan

If this is true (same Cell generation) then it's the GPU that will probably be the most advanced component at the time of release.

Now, what about that GamesIndustry.biz break-a-part controller rumor? (I mean, those guys were so certain of their source that they directly asked Kaz about it) 'Prototype' releasing in 09 as a warm up?

Anyways, if PS4 or whatever can run 1080p relatively easily with texture resolution that will stand up to that image quality then I'm pleased, no less though. Take full advantage of the new standard.

Phil stated reason for quitting was due to Sony starting to ramp up research for next-generation and he had been involved with enough shifts.

cw_sasuke

Daante said:
But yeah next gen might be all about running and jumping around in your livingroom just to control and play a simple game, that would be so nice yeah..?

This isn`t even the case with most of the wii games i own - i don`t know what ur talkin about... if u really think u have zo waggle around just like those kids in wii ads than it`s your fault, not nintendos...

GreekWolf

If this turns out to be true (which I highly doubt), I'd imagine there will be a sudden influx of Microsoft fans. Of course, if Microsoft follows down the same unfortunate path, there will be a sudden influx of PC upgrades.

camineet

Banned
http://www.gamecyte.com/ps4-based-on-existing-cell-processor

Mon, Sep 29, 2008

PS4 Based On Existing Cell Processor?

Japanese tech news site PC Watch is reporting that as a cost-saving measure, Sony “has begun seriously considering” basing the upcoming PlayStation 4 on the same Cell processor that currently powers the PS3.

Though citing no sources in particular, PC Watch claims that Sony is currently soliciting developer reactions to the idea. They speculate that while Sony would like to distance themselves from the Cell in the long run, at present they might do well to make use of their existing investment and expand the technical capabilities of the PS3 only moderately — a la the hardware transition from GameCube to Wii — in order to constrain further expenditure.

In a long technical analysis following the report, PC Watch voices the opinion that the PS4’s performance would not increase significantly from that of the PS3 if this is true. While Moore’s Law and the historical rate at which Sony has shrunk processors size would suggest that the Cell processor could reach as many as 32 cores, PC Watch expects that the cost of redesigning the Cell’s layout — which has apparently remained the same as it has shrunk from 90nm to 65nm, and from 65nm to 45nm — would be prohibitive enough that Sony will stick with around 10 cores for the PS4.

PC Watch also apparently heard that Sony is considering standard JEDEC memory for this iteration, as opposed to the PS3’s expensive XDR. They believe this means that the PS4 will use DDR3.

Hardware geeks: if all this is true, how disappointed will you be? Or, perhaps more importantly, what do you estimate a PS4 like this will cost a few years down the road?

pswii60

sullytao said:
The big difference moving from this gen to next gen though, is that the machines will still be HD.

There won't be the resolution difference we've seen this gen which makes the Wii look so bad in comparison to 360/PS3 - especially on LCD TVs. Although I'm sure some were hoping for 1080p as a defacto standard for games, but even then at least the consoles upscale and some games support it natively already this gen.

Daante

cw_sasuke said:
This isn`t even the case with most of the wii games i own - i don`t know what ur talkin about... if u really think u have zo waggle around just like those kids in wii ads than it`s your fault, not nintendos...

Thats not the case with most wii games i own either. But if you think about it , the next step for Nintendo after being this successful with the Wii control scheme, Wii fit and everything else , witch direction do you think they will take once the next gen consoles are here?

pirahna1

Am I getting old or what...

I STILL don't have any next gen systems... 360/PS3/Wii/PSP/for fucks sake no DS yet...

and they're talking about next NEXT gen?

should I just wait it out and stick to PC this gen or what? Damnit, I was so hardcore back in the day... Fuck being poor, I can't afford this $500 system plus HDTV bullshit...

kiryogi

Banned
Don't see the issue much, as some folks have said. The GC-Wii transition was pretty apparent vs the current guys. But with won't be anywhere near as bad. PS3 itself is a pretty amazing piece of work as it is, and it hasn't been even fully tapped yet. I'd wager and say it'd still hold it's own.

I honestly see no reason why Sony would launch the PS4 early, especially if it's only marginally more powerful than the PS3.

Sony's biggest issue all along was getting the price down to reasonable levels. And while they've made strides to improve the situation, it is still nowhere near where they need to be for mainstream consumers. What advantage would releasin the PS4 early have, outside of creating yet another hardware cycle to support, splintering the current Playstation userbase, and ushering in only marginal performance results?

Just stick with the PS3, get the prices down, get even more great games out, and then release a significantly more powerful PS4 in 2013/2014.

And frankly, given how Sony has reiterated the 10 year plan, reports lik this sound like nonsense to me.

soco

if all the major players go wii-style, with consoles only slightly more powerful than what exists today, will this be the beginning of a PC resurgence? hardcore gamers move back to the PC ;)

camineet

Banned
What I was hoping for, for the then-still-in-development PS3, back in 2003

http://web.archive.org/web/20031208...area.com/mld/mercurynews/business/5311288.htm

With the PS 3, Sony will apparently put 72 processors on a single
chip: eight PowerPC microprocessors, each of which controls eight
auxiliary processors.

Using sophisticated software to manage the workload, the PowerPC
processors will divide complicated problems into smaller tasks and tap
as many of the auxiliary processors as necessary to tackle them.

``The cell processors won't work alone,'' Doherty said. ``They will
work in teams to handle the tasks at hand, no matter whether it is
processing a video game or communications.''

As soon as each processor or team finishes its job, it will be
immediately redeployed to do something else.

That would've been like 8 CELL processors on 1 chip (8 PPEs + 64 SPEs) even though the terms 'PPE' and 'SPE' were not used at the time, they were known as 'PU' and 'APU' respectively.

Anyway then when that didn't happen, I thought, okay, maybe that'll be PS4.

Oh well.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
so...the actual information is just that sony is exploring the possibility of

a. reusing the cell architecture in some form

and

b. using JEDEC memory, whatever that is exactly

and everything about the low performance target is speculation. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR SOURCE IS DEADMEAT

camineet

Banned
drohne said:
so...the actual information is just that sony is exploring the possibility of

a. reusing the cell architecture in some form

and

b. using JEDEC memory, whatever that is exactly

and everything about the low performance target is speculation. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR SOURCE IS DEADMEAT

Yet Deadmeat isnt really the source, it's pc.watch.impress.co.jp, and this has now been picked up by at least one western website (probably more now, if not soon).

Forget DM and pay attention to credible sites.

Gbeav

Banned
If this is true what kind of power does everyone want out of something that probably would need to be finalized in 1 1/2 years?

Plus I doubt the ps4 will be out in 2011, they can use the ps3 for a long time.

Top Bottom