• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could vertical / tate gaming make a comeback? + a brief history

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This intro / brief history isn't meant to be authoritative or definitive. I thought it would help catch anyone up if you didn't happen to know what 'tate' is.

The old CRT TV that we know and love was in 4:3 aspect ratio. TV programming was shot in 4:3, but videogames were more experimental, even in the early days of the arcade. Some machines used mirrors in conjunction with multiple monitors to display one large image (Darius), and other games rotated the screen 90 degrees.

Galaga, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong are three well-known arcade games utilizing tate orientation:

Galaga.png
Pac-man.png
donkey_kong_25m.PNG

Since home TVs were 4:3 and Little Timmy wasn't likely going to convince his dad to put the TV on its side for a videogame, what happened next was predictable. When porting to home consoles, videogame developers converted their tate arcade games to fit the 4:3 orientation, cutting play-area off the top or adding in a side-bar with icons. As gaming shifted from the arcades into the living room, 4:3 aspect ratio solidified as the norm.

Even though tate survived in the arcades, playing tate at home wasn't much of a thing from the 80s up to the mid-90s. A handful of PS1 and Saturn games included the option to rotate the image and controls to imitate true tate (shmups, mostly). This trend wasn't very prevalent. The PS2 and Dreamcast had some more shmups that offered an optional tate mode, but by the early 00s tate was pretty much dead.

Then this came along:

Nintendo%20Consoles.jpg

And this:

original-iphone-anniversary-09.jpg

In a few short years, tate became a normal thing to an audience that had probably never heard the term (it's called 'portrait mode' now). DS games often pushed a sense of verticality by using the two screens, and smartphones naturally lent themselves to vertical games and video content. Many puzzle games and city-building games are natively tate.

And now there's stuff like this:

Flip_Grip_with_Switch_Front_edit.jpg

And this:

I'm certainly not suggesting that tate will take over. It was never the prevalent format even during the heyday of arcades. However, it nearly vanished from gaming for a stretch of years, and now it's back here to stay, at least on smart phones and certain console and PC titles.

I think it would be quite cool to explore gameplay design in tate orientation. Tate is a forgotten part of videogaming's history that should be considered more often. PC monitors are easy to pivot. Handhelds and smartphones can be put into portrait mode. The only people left out in the cold would be those who use massive home TVs, but I never said this feature was meant to be universal. Tate would just be a nice option to have for certain genres, and I do wish more "meaty" games were designed around it instead of just smartphone titles.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Thanks for this thread DunDunDunpachi. I have recently become a fanatic of games that offer tate and portrait orientation.

I just setup my bedroom with a TV cart that supports my 55 inch TLC TV in tate/ portait mode. The only drawback of the cart is that it has one small tray and basically I have a Best Buy Switch Dock hooked up to it that accommodates my Switch in two different locations.

My main TV is downstairs (65 inch Q70R) in my living room and has my main PC hooked up to it along with my XBox One X, my PS4 Pro, and my main Switch dock.

I also have an i7 laptop with a GTX 1060 in it that I can take upstairs to run Tate games from Steam and other emulators.

The Switch tate games look awesome on it. As do the tate games from Steam. I have a lowly cell phone, but I was about to get a Sony Xperia 5 that has USB C to HDMI out so I could experience some of my portrait and tate phone games on my TV, but decided it against it for now.

I also tried Bluestacks Android emulator and attached my Google account to it, but my paltry laptop couldn't handle the resource heavy Bluestacks emulator. It lagged alot, but it sure looked pretty.

There are some meaty tate/Portrait style games on DS that you can emulate from a laptop, then hook it up to a monitor that pivots or to a TV in portait mode. I am sure they would look glorious that way.

Of course you can set it up to look like a giant DS on the portait screen through Retroarch or have the black bar gap in it to provide the proper spacing for the games on the TV screen.

There are some meaty games from the DS era that are not just strictly a space shmup though. Yoshi's Island DS and the 2 Mario and Luigi RPG games are a great examples of this. Also, some of the Dragon Quest games on DS as well. The run n gun Contra 4 would be awesome too.

I hope Nintendo doesn't abandon this optional style of play. It still needs to exist with newer styles of games.

They have been promoting it since the original DS and continue with the Switch(mostly through 3rd party developers). It's a shame they don't get more experimental with the Switch. I would love to see what Nintendo could come up with utilising tate mode on Switch.

It's past 2:30 AM EST where I am at and if you don't consider it hijacking your thread, I would love to come back later to post my setup in here. Let me know and I will be glad to share pics.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Thanks for this thread DunDunDunpachi. I have recently become a fanatic of games that offer tate and portrait orientation.

I just setup my bedroom with a TV cart that supports my 55 inch TLC TV in tate/ portait mode. The only drawback of the cart is that it has one small tray and basically I have a Best Buy Switch Dock hooked up to it that accommodates my Switch in two different locations.

My main TV is downstairs (65 inch Q70R) in my living room and has my main PC hooked up to it along with my XBox One X, my PS4 Pro, and my main Switch dock.

I also have an i7 laptop with a GTX 1060 in it that I can take upstairs to run Tate games from Steam and other emulators.

The Switch tate games look awesome on it. As do the tate games from Steam. I have a lowly cell phone, but I was about to get a Sony Xperia 5 that has USB C to HDMI out so I could experience some of my portrait and tate phone games on my TV, but decided it against it for now.

I also tried Bluestacks Android emulator and attached my Google account to it, but my paltry laptop couldn't handle the resource heavy Bluestacks emulator. It lagged alot, but it sure looked pretty.

There are some meaty tate/Portrait style games on DS that you can emulate from a laptop, then hook it up to a monitor that pivots or to a TV in portait mode. I am sure they would look glorious that way.

Of course you can set it up to look like a giant DS on the portait screen through Retroarch or have the black bar gap in it to provide the proper spacing for the games on the TV screen.

There are some meaty games from the DS era that are not just strictly a space shmup though. Yoshi's Island DS and the 2 Mario and Luigi RPG games are a great examples of this. Also, some of the Dragon Quest games on DS as well. The run n gun Contra 4 would be awesome too.

I hope Nintendo doesn't abandon this optional style of play. It still needs to exist with newer styles of games.

They have been promoting it since the original DS and continue with the Switch(mostly through 3rd party developers). It's a shame they don't get more experimental with the Switch. I would love to see what Nintendo could come up with utilising tate mode on Switch.

It's past 2:30 AM EST where I am at and if you don't consider it hijacking your thread, I would love to come back later to post my setup in here. Let me know and I will be glad to share pics.
Thank you for the lengthy post in reply. tbh the topic was kind of a shot in the dark. By all means, go ahead and post your setup.

Shmups (the vertical ones, at least) use it a fair amount but like you mentioned, DS had a ton of vertical games. There were even games like Planet Puzzle League where you hold the DS on the side. Double-tate?!? lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its fundamentally about visible area equating to potential reaction time.

If enemies are moving from the top of the screen down towards the player at the bottom who is shooting upwards, and the playspace is in a landscape orientation you have less time to react than if you were in a portrait layout.

Similarly if your game is scrolling horizontally portrait is undesirable because it limits the distance "ahead" you can see and react to.

From a game design perspective you need to understand if there is a dominant axis along which the gameplay takes place, and ensure the player has time/space to react to the flow of events along it. Furthermore attention needs to be paid to the constrained axes and ensure that these areas aren't overloaded with threats as that will be unfair to the player.

These rules apply to both 2d and 3d game design.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Its fundamentally about visible area equating to potential reaction time.

If enemies are moving from the top of the screen down towards the player at the bottom who is shooting upwards, and the playspace is in a landscape orientation you have less time to react than if you were in a portrait layout.

Similarly if your game is scrolling horizontally portrait is undesirable because it limits the distance "ahead" you can see and react to.

From a game design perspective you need to understand if there is a dominant axis along which the gameplay takes place, and ensure the player has time/space to react to the flow of events along it. Furthermore attention needs to be paid to the constrained axes and ensure that these areas aren't overloaded with threats as that will be unfair to the player.

These rules apply to both 2d and 3d game design.
Back when there were more top-down games, tate made more sense. Racing games with the car at the bottom of the screen and upward-scrolling shooters like Ikari Warriors just made more sense in tate. I think any game with climbing/ascending or descending action fits well. Crazy Climbers, Dig Dug, Burger Time, etc.

Downwell uses (optional) tate too:

00_Zer0

Well, as promised I am back with my Tate set up. I bought this cart on eBay, but here is a link of it on Amazon.

The TV I purchased for it was a 55 inch TCL. I wanted to go with a smaller TV, around 42-47 inches, but found that it was hard to find the correct Vesa measurements that matched for the cart. The smallest Vesa measurement listed for the cart is 400 x 400. It was pretty easy to set it all up and can hide wires very easily. As I said in my previous post it has a single small tray ideal for a Switch, a small laptop, or maybe an android set top box. What's nice about it that it rotates between landcape and portrait mode very easily. Thanks to DunDunDunPachi for allowing me to post these in here.

2nAji4P.jpg

v6l2f5T.jpg

TEvuXB2.jpg

kWn7Lfu.jpg

hUgvByC.jpg

lqvkuGq.jpg

yhSASAk.jpg

MxOKft4.jpg

B4a4yD7.jpg

J8bG28t.jpg

Wr0jciQ.jpg

mfydaM3.jpg

B4BNc0z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

00_Zer0

Sorry, I didn't mean to upload such big pictures. Also, I made duplicates of Galaga 88 and some of Downwell. I was trying to get a mod to help me edit this correctly, because now my time ran out.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

That's incredible! I had no idea modern games even supported this orientation. Seems like it would provide a solid shmup skill boost.
Thanks guys. I am going to start collecting physical games that feature portrait and tate mode from all game systems that emulate well. Then I can use my laptop on my tate setup . DS is very easy to hack and copy your own physical games now through a 2DS/3DS so I am going to be collecting for that next since there is an abundance of portrait style games on there. I bet the Mario and Luigi games would look glorious on my setup.

Top Bottom