• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could we have seen a new MotorStorm game introduce the hoverbike vehicle class as a homage to Jet Moto?

In my opinion, a new MotorStorm sequel would have introduced the hoverbike vehicle class, something we haven't seen in a PlayStation racer since the Jet Moto trilogy from the late '90s. I know it sounds like wishful thinking... and, well, you would be right, but it kind of makes sense because both MotorStorm and Jet Moto are tough racing games where you really need to master each race course to have a chance at winning. How would a hoverbike vehicle class fit in with the other unique vehicle types? In my opinion, they would work a bit similar to bikes where they quickly shoot to the front of the pack (great acceleration) except the hoverbike is a little tougher than the bike and not slowed down by muddy terrain. The drawback is that they maybe couldn't do sharp turns easily and the boost gauge would fill up quicker. I think it'd be very interesting and fun to play. This new MotorStorm game could also re-introduce snowy race tracks like in the PSP/PS2 entry, Arctic Edge, alongside the return of beaches, jungles, abandoned industrial and urban areas. I miss these crazy arcade racers.

I'm not sure about the name. MotorStorm X, where X means Cross i.e. MotorStorm x Jet Moto. What do you guys think of this idea?

I'd love to see a new Motorstorm, a new Jet Moto, or a Motorstorm x Jet Moto. I like the idea.

But I think that sadly it won't happen, they did stop making them because I assume didn't sell enough. They are by with more successful IPs and new IPs.
Yeah, I know. I think Driveclub's bungled launch led to Sony shuttering Evolution. It's a shame because they make fun racing games.

MotorStorm RC was disappointing though. Someone at Sony must really like RC vehicles because there was the spin-off Twisted Metal: Small Brawl too.

fart town usa

Gold Member
That would be dope. I can see all the dirt and dust being kicked up. OG Motorstorm is awesome, loading is beyond bad but gameplay is super exhilarating. Still holds up. Arctic Edge too. Never played the Pacific one. Armageddon was a disappointment to me.

SilentUser

Man, I would love that! Liked your idea a lot, too bad it won't happen :messenger_loudly_crying:

Actually, It would make me happy enought to just have a Motorstorm being available on PS5, even if it is just a port of Pacific Rift or Arctic Edge.

That would be dope. I can see all the dirt and dust being kicked up. OG Motorstorm is awesome, loading is beyond bad but gameplay is super exhilarating. Still holds up. Arctic Edge too. Never played the Pacific one. Armageddon was a disappointment to me.
Pacific Rift is easily the best in the series, in my opinion. It was a more complete package compared to the original and the cooling down of the boost gauge when you drove through shallow water or underneath a waterfall was a pretty neat addition. Still, the original MotorStorm was my number one reason to pick up the PS3 back in the day. I'm glad Evolution were able to put out a proper sequel in the form of Pacific Rift.

Im afraid we are shit out of luck especially if you look at second half of the last gen output. Arcade racers are rare now. More than ever we keep getting sim/cade racers instead. I guess development is getting so expensive that its hard for a studio to risk it. I still think Driveclub was an amazing game...it had a rocky start with online but jesus, why in the world would you delete the game off servers as if it was the biggest dud ever. Theres way worse games (Anthem/The Order 1886) yet they are alive and well. I mean we didnt even get Ridge Racer last gen!? Same for Burnout series (not including the remaster of Paradise)....Midnight Club where you at?

Last edited:

Chiggs

Motorstorm is probably the most underrated racing series of all time, with Jet Moto right behind it. I would buy something like you're describing. How could I not?

SkylineRKR

Pacific Rift was a thrill ride. I always felt it might've been too difficult for casual players. It was an unforgiving game with heavy controls and you could crash to your death anytime. But thats what made it so thrilling. I remember playing PR online, it was so good. I liked the crater course. Managing your boost, self destruction before the finish line.. yeah I want this series back. Or at least a remaster.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Wait, what are we talking about here? Love your enthusiasm, VysePSU, but Jet Motos in Motorstorm? No, man, no!

Motorstorm is all about feeling the ground beneath your vehicle, about choosing a ride that will cut the line you want, about knowing what you're going to be landing on before you take air, about crunching and sloshing and sideswiping and thrashing your way through every twist and turn and unexpected turmoil of the track until you jam the Turbo in the last few seconds to explode over the finish line. Jet Moto was a lot of things (and it was much more about understanding the rhythms of the ground underneath the jetbike than you'd think from a hovercraft,) but it wasn't exactly that, I wouldn't say.

vZVC4xA.jpg

(Plus, exploding turbos and Jet Moto are oil and water, JM should almost always be played with Unlimited Turbos... if you're dumb enough to go that damned fast on these insane tracks, that's you're f&%@ing problem, dude!)

...I mean, maybe? I could see something to a Jet Moto being a hidden or bonus vehicle. (And it was always my dream to see a modern JM with modern terrain, so you'd like ground out the fins in mud or get jolted if you slammed into concrete wrong or you really could ride a wave into what's left of LA...) My instinct says it's a bad fit, though. Wheels on the ground pulling you towards that fiery finish, that's Motorstorm. And Jet Moto, that is, well, every bad idea some daredevil psycho has ever dreamed for a racer ("Dude, let's strap a rocket onto a motorbike and drive it off a cliff!",) made real.
soDPiLS.jpg

But I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Last edited:

CamHostage

...And while I'm at it, a belated f&$% off to those people who confused Jet X20 for a Jet Moto game. Muthasucker, not every game with "Jet" on the box is Jet Moto. Go play Jet Li: Rise to Honor and find me a damned hoverbike, then shut up forever with your X20!

(*I am alone in this room)

Last edited:
Motorstorm pacif rift 2 is all we need.
Sony did a very big mistake with evolution.

Oh, and I didn't like Driveclub at all. They missed what made motorstorm so special ...

wipeout364

I always thought of jet moto as a shitty version of wipeout. So no I don’t like your idea. Make a new wipeout and also make a new ass kicking motorstorm(which also was a fantastic series). Sony just sits on all these great IP because they don’t sell 8 million units, so lame.

Wait, what are we talking about here? Love your enthusiasm, VysePSU, but Jet Motos in Motorstorm? No, man, no!

Motorstorm is all about feeling the ground beneath your vehicle, about choosing a ride that will cut the line you want, about knowing what you're going to be landing on before you take air, about crunching and sloshing and sideswiping and thrashing your way through every twist and turn and unexpected turmoil of the track until you jam the Turbo in the last few seconds to explode over the finish line. Jet Moto was a lot of things (and it was much more about understanding the rhythms of the ground underneath the jetbike than you'd think from a hovercraft,) but it wasn't exactly that, I wouldn't say.

(Plus, exploding turbos and Jet Moto are oil and water, JM should almost always be played with Unlimited Turbos... if you're dumb enough to go that damned fast on these insane tracks, that's you're f&%@ing problem, dude!)

...I mean, maybe? I could see something to a Jet Moto being a hidden or bonus vehicle. (And it was always my dream to see a modern JM with modern terrain, so you'd like ground out the fins in mud or get jolted if you slammed into concrete wrong or you really could ride a wave into what's left of LA...) My instinct says it's a bad fit, though. Wheels on the ground pulling you towards that fiery finish, that's Motorstorm. And Jet Moto, that is, well, every bad idea some daredevil psycho has ever dreamed for a racer ("Dude, let's strap a rocket onto a motorbike and drive it off a cliff!",) made real.

But I wouldn't kick it out of bed.
I guess you have a point. They're both strategic racers but for different reasons. The hoverbikes rely on magnetic grapples to slingshot around tight turns. It would look out of place in a MotorStorm game. But it would be really interesting to see what a new Jet Moto would look like on the PS5. Especially the unique race tracks across all three games.

Realistically, I know big publishers like Sony want to play it safe. They will leave the experimenting to other multiplatform developers.

Wanted to check out some vids on Jet Moto again and damn, never even knew two games after 3 were in production;

Jet Moto 2124
Jet Moto SOLAR

Both games got cancelled of course.

chasimus

Pacific Rift was the best of all of them. It took the first one's ideas and basically perfected them. And with a more tuned game engine they were able to make even better mud/water physics and a four player split screen which killed. Loved that game so much

CamHostage

I guess you have a point. They're both strategic racers but for different reasons. The hoverbikes rely on magnetic grapples to slingshot around tight turns. It would look out of place in a MotorStorm game. But it would be really interesting to see what a new Jet Moto would look like on the PS5. Especially the unique race tracks across all three games.

Realistically, I know big publishers like Sony want to play it safe. They will leave the experimenting to other multiplatform developers.

Jet Moto on a MotorStorm engine, with that kind of dedication to heavy physics, and that level of terrain physicality with deformation and dust and destructability, that is my dream...

I totally get why you see a Jet Moto bike fitting in a Motorstorm race (and I'm mostly kidding that it's a wrong idea... I look at tightly-packed races like this and think, "What doesn't this game have?",) However, I think that A. a hoverbike would largely negate the rock-paper-scissors of track design that Motorstorm tries to balance with its variety of vehicles and lane lines, and B. I feel like I play like a different type of maniac when I play Jet Moto compared to when I play Motorstorm. It's similar, but Jet Moto has you working to solve the tough stuff and die a bunch so you build up the muscle memory to do it at ludicrous speed, Motorstorm has track strategy but I'd say you ultimately have to live with the muck you've landed in.

I don't know if I'd assign the publishers of Destruction All-Stars the label of "safe". Sony has tactics, but if they see a risk worth taking, they'll hang their asses out and try it.

Jet Moto is of course way far from safe, though. It wasn't even a huge game in its heyday, gamers were just more comfortable trying a lot of stuff back then even if it wasn't their thing all the time. (Multiplayer parties were also more common, so anything you could play split-screen was a viable purchase.) Now, there's a dedicated audience of people who fight for JM, but it's not a big group. There's not a rush of Jet Moto clones on Steam; PlayStation Dreams isn't packed with Jet Moto fangames. You would think that PS1/PS2 nostalgia would have brought back some of these well-loved brands, but seeing as how Activision just recently folded up both teams that brought back Crash, Spyro and THPS, that craze may have already run out of juice as well. (Godspeed, THQ Nordic...)

Much like Downhill Domination and Kinetica, the right people are saying these were awesome, but you just don't see enough influence or demand to fuel another go. Back when Sony had both PlayStation consoles and PlayStation portables to supply games for, there was more chance of them trying titles that weren't "safe", but budgets are too high and competition is too plentiful these days. Would love it if they tried, and stranger things have happened (Sony made a few more Hardware games, for whatever reason, and somehow Medievil keeps getting dug out of its grave,) but even as a fan, I get it.

Since I mentioned the indie scene BTW, there is a little bit of solace out there for Jet Moto fans. The game Hoverbike Joust is a one-man Moto project in the works for over half a decade already (and still probably has another half to go) that looks real physical and fun, and there is a Dreams module called Project Moto to look at as well. Both haven't had an update in a year, so get used to not getting what you want, but maybe take a look anyway to see what JM fans are trying to do without a new JM to play.

GL-GIf03b.gif

Last edited:
I dont see a Motorstorm happening in a long time if ever.

They should have called Destruction All Stars, Motorstorm All Stars. Would have dragged in some loyal fans, that like smashing cars.

CamHostage

Wanted to check out some vids on Jet Moto again and damn, never even knew two games after 3 were in production;

Jet Moto 2124
Jet Moto SOLAR

Both games got cancelled of course.
Most people don't even know that there were three Jet Moto games. JM3 came at the tail-end of PS1 and had an amazing engine (really fast framerate and some incredible effects; still had untrustworthy geometry when the camera hit it and its new bunnyhop mechanic that wasn't everybody's favorite, but it looked and moved great.)

Jet Moto 2124 was in development alongside 3 (for strange reasons? Sony seemed to think that PS1 would live forever, but console gens end fast for everything but FIFAs,) and was thus farther along than even JM fans probably know. It had full tracks designed and playable (though not polished, and the word is in testing they had huge troubles of scale crossed with tremendous speed.) Despite an intergalactic, futuristic theme, it was aimed to be more like JM1 than just a follow-up to JM3, and it had stuff like Suicide Courses, which was nice to see (I think JM3 didn't have any? Did JM2 even have any, besides the unlockable JM1 tracks?) A build of it leaked, you can see what they did and read about its troubled development on PlayStation Museum.

Nothing but design docs are known to exist of Jet Moto Solar. RedZone Interactive had little experience outside sports games (they had some Roller Vixens game that got canceled once,) and although the design doc is interesting to read if you can find it, who knows what might have come out in the final game.

Last edited:

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
THQ Nordic should buy the motorstorm rights and use Wreckfest physics + UE4 engine as the baseline for a new game.

Its hard to tell if they have the talent to reproduce the Evo map design awesomeness, but it would be a fun game for sure.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
In my opinion, a new MotorStorm sequel would have introduced the hoverbike vehicle class, something we haven't seen in a PlayStation racer since the Jet Moto trilogy from the late '90s. I know it sounds like wishful thinking... and, well, you would be right, but it kind of makes sense because both MotorStorm and Jet Moto are tough racing games where you really need to master each race course to have a chance at winning. How would a hoverbike vehicle class fit in with the other unique vehicle types? In my opinion, they would work a bit similar to bikes where they quickly shoot to the front of the pack (great acceleration) except the hoverbike is a little tougher than the bike and not slowed down by muddy terrain. The drawback is that they maybe couldn't do sharp turns easily and the boost gauge would fill up quicker. I think it'd be very interesting and fun to play. This new MotorStorm game could also re-introduce snowy race tracks like in the PSP/PS2 entry, Arctic Edge, alongside the return of beaches, jungles, abandoned industrial and urban areas. I miss these crazy arcade racers.

I'm not sure about the name. MotorStorm X, where X means Cross i.e. MotorStorm x Jet Moto. What do you guys think of this idea?

I really think The Crew 3 would have it all. MotorStorm was fun but The Crew made it sure to make nothing is new.

maxresdefault.jpg

Can't wait for their next gen 3rd sequel.

CamHostage CamHostage
Yeah that was one thing about the PS1. You could tell some sequels overstayed their welcome. Not sure if this is the perfect example but some games were upgrading their engine but the output on PS1 just looked even worse than the previous game. For example Fifa World Cup 98 was great, Fifa 1999 was amazing looking and then Fifa 2000 looked like dog shit. Id say the same for Cool Boarders. 1 was so so looking, 2 improved greatly, 3 was totally new engine and 4 looked worse than 3. They obviously went for upgrades but they didnt translate well on an aging hardware.

Last edited:
Top Bottom