• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Countdown on Need for Speed website

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Underground 3 set in Japan.
You're a foreigner who gets caught up in Japan's illegal street racing culture.
It could work.
p159790_v_v8_ax.jpg

Breakage

The thing is FF has moved so far away from the import tuner/ illegal street racer vibe of the earlier films. I think a new NFS that goes all in on Japanese street racing culture could be popular. With the exception of those monotonous Import Tuner games and the Initial D series, I don't think there have been any significant racing games that have exclusively explored street racing in Japan.

Acidizer

Banned
The start of Hot Pursuit on PS3 was amazing. When one single well timed nudge gave a take down. So satisfying, after that they become bullet sponges and it was like bashing into tanks a hundred times to take them down - shit gameplay mechanics.

Payback was legit the worst NFS in history, so can only hope this will be an improvement.

Patrick S.

Banned
I loved Need for Speed 1 on the PS1 and later the the PC. It was amazing for me, coming from thinking Test Drive 2 on my Amiga was awesome...

NFS 2 was unfortunately released in the early era of shit 3D so it always looked horrible. IIRC it was also the last NFS game to have those super cool introduction videos for all the cars.

Hot Pursuit was incredible fun, and it was the game that made me buy my first force feedback Logitech steering wheel, but unfortunately looks awful today, too.

Underground was kinda fun because it was innovative but in the end it was really shit because it was a one trick pony that took away beautiful sportscars driving through beautiful, sunny scenery and replaced that with awful ricers street racing through a boring city at night.

Most wanted was kinda fun, but it was too brown and clinical, and the added on story was really horrible. Carbon was... well, a carbon copy of that, only set at night.

Everything after that was just forgettable and it pains me that this awesome series went so far down hill :( I'd really really love a remake of the first game.

Hudo

I hope the next game is good. I used to love this series, but it's been a major disappointment for a long time now.
You know, all bashing aside, I agree. I would love a new and good Need for Speed game. I kinda hope that maybe Criterion do the design work while Ghost Games do the execution.

I can’t remember which one I played on the PS2, but I remember enjoying the customization and the racing...though the motorcycles weren’t that fun...pretty sure that was the last time I enjoyed one of these games.

Pantz

Gold Member
With them taking a year off and saying they wanted to take NFS back to what made it good, it has me interested. Definitely not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I can’t remember which one I played on the PS2, but I remember enjoying the customization and the racing...though the motorcycles weren’t that fun...pretty sure that was the last time I enjoyed one of these games.

There was a NFS with motorbikes? That news to me, honestly...

Aintitcool

Banned
I am waiting for a conclusion to the story of NFS:The run where you got out of the car. Come on EA you owe me a conclusion to the story. /s

Acidizer

Banned
You know, all bashing aside, I agree. I would love a new and good Need for Speed game. I kinda hope that maybe Criterion do the design work while Ghost Games do the execution.

WTF happened to Criterion?

They just kinda fell off the map. Tragic.

Last edited:

Skyfox

NFS:The Run was amazing. You drove cool cars fast around exciting, changing environments.

Need for speed payback sold itself as the second coming of vin diesel and was a locked down, grind heavy, open world, shitty car borefest with crap music, ugly cars and bland realistic environments.

So I don’t care what they show. Fix payback or give me my money back you microtransaction-loving liars.

Shin

Banned
It's called Need for Speed: Heat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ewiJJe_nYI&utm_campaign=nfsh_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_tw-nfs-heat-reveal-trailer&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=59459&ts=1565717595993

Duallusion

Underground was okay but my favorite is still NFS 4 High Stakes (everything 3 Hot Pursuit was + more) and Porsche Unleashed. I mean, is it really that hard/expensive to make a not-open-world racer with a varied set of beautiful, custom-made tracks these days? The last proper one was Driveclub and I'm still bitter Sony killed that before giving it another shot.

Yeah, I liked DriveClub quite a bit. I would love to see NFS go back to its roots, but sadly I don't think that's ever going to happen. Those screens don't give much to go on, but I hope it turns out to be a fun game at least. I miss the good old days of Need for Speed.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
I have no fucking idea why they insist on a story at all in a racing game. I assume they think this will make it more appealing to the mass market? But I don't think there is a single person on earth who ever bought a racing game for its story. Just shows you how out of touch these assholes are. Who the FUCK greenlights this shit - honestly??

Last edited:
I have no fucking idea why they insist on a story at all in a racing game. I assume they think this will make it more appealing to the mass market? But I don't think there is a single person on earth who ever bought a racing game for its story. Just shows you how out of touch these assholes are. Who the FUCK greenlights this shit - honestly??

They've been doing story based titles since 2003. That's 13 titles and counting. Only 5 first titles were non story so expecting a NFS title to not have a story is like expecting God of War games not to have violence.

Top Bottom