• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike 2 Revealed - Info & Beta Discussion

Fake

1,404,115 players online right now. I think they're going to smash the 1,42m record this weekend.

CS was great, GO did some shit on the start, but got fixed and updated by time to time.

I gonna be honest here, I hate Valorant, but I can't denny this game put Valve into a rought spot at the point of make them update CS:GO engine an update.

Source 2 should be a part of CS a long time ago. I don't even know why take so much time to do it. Glad they finally did and all thanks to the competition.

If L4D receive the same update I can see playerbase on those gamea growing by time.

MiguelItUp

CS was great, GO did some shit on the start, but got fixed and updated by time to time.

I gonna be honest here, I hate Valorant, but I can't denny this game put Valve into a rought spot at the point of make them update CS:GO engine an update.

Source 2 should be a part of CS a long time ago. I don't even know why take so much time to do it. Glad they finally did and all thanks to the competition.

If L4D receive the same update I can see playerbase on those gamea growing by time.
You have to wonder about the "l4d3" stuff that was also in the code, I can't imagine it'd be there for shits and giggles. I mean, it could be, but hey, so was CS2, and look what happened. 👀

I'd like to think TF2 will get SOMETHING at some point too. L4D too. Valve knows what their fans are playing, the numbers are there.

VN1X

Banned
You have to wonder about the "l4d3" stuff that was also in the code, I can't imagine it'd be there for shits and giggles. I mean, it could be, but hey, so was CS2, and look what happened. 👀

I'd like to think TF2 will get SOMETHING at some point too. L4D too. Valve knows what their fans are playing, the numbers are there.
They could definitely 'take the crown' back as it were. From Overwatch 2 with TF3 and from all of the okay-but-not-great co-op shooters that have come out since L4D2 as well. You'd imagine Valve would realize there's money left on the table, right? People would go apeshit for new games in those franchises.

MiguelItUp

They could definitely 'take the crown' back as it were. From Overwatch 2 with TF3 and from all of the okay-but-not-great co-op shooters that have come out since L4D2 as well. You'd imagine Valve would realize there's money left on the table, right? People would go apeshit for new games in those franchises.
Right? But on the same coin, there's just no telling what Valve will do, lol.

I still wish they'd make a new successor to Orange Box, especially in this day and age. It would be just as devastating now as Orange Box was back then. If not more so.

Last edited:

Fake

I not quite sure about. You see, this is 'Counter Strike 2', I mean, CS:GO with engine update got rename. If I would guess, L4D3 will be just L4D2 with source 2.0

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I not quite sure about. You see, this is 'Counter Strike 2', I mean, CS:GO with engine update got rename. If I would guess, L4D3 will be just L4D2 with source 2.0
Hey, it's something! Along with SOME new content. Honestly, those communities would be delighted for such a thing, haha.

Rhazkul

I wish I could get into CS. Every time I try it I just get wrecked. The skill some people have is insane. I don't know how they can react so quickly! I have a 144hz monitor but I feel like I'm not able to react fast enough. Mostly I play against bots since I can't against real people :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Same. CSGO reminds me of my age....everytime. I spend more time watching others play than actually playing myself (i think it's an outdated game design having to wait each round when you got killed).

Pejo

Just now reading about this. The smoke effects are really cool. I wish they'd have doubled down on physics though and made destructible environments and other fun physics related stuff. You can tell they don't want to stray from the formula too much, so the additions are mostly minor. Environments look great, but the character models don't seem up to par and animations still feel overly stiff. Probably necessary for the sweaty pvp stuff to keep everything fair and legit though.

kuncol02

Banned

L4D3 was second Valve project in Source 2 (after Dota2) and it was cancelled years ago. We even had some screenshots years ago.

RagnarokIV

Guys, are there any videos of CS2 out yet? I mean of a full match, with no face-cam streamer or commentary stuff.

I can't stand streamer/youtuber culture. I just want a video of organic gameplay, no crap on top.

MiguelItUp

L4D3 was second Valve project in Source 2 (after Dota2) and it was cancelled years ago. We even had some screenshots years ago.
True, but what if it's just... "cancelled", lol. 👀

Guys, are there any videos of CS2 out yet? I mean of a full match, with no face-cam streamer or commentary stuff.

I can't stand streamer/youtuber culture. I just want a video of organic gameplay, no crap on top.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned
True, but what if it's just... "cancelled", lol. 👀
I don't think that they would use name of old l4D3 project in code of new one. To much risk of confusion during development as old code still exists in Source code base which is basically shared by all Valve games (that's why so many of them leaked from dataminig of other releases).

Schmick

I wish I could get into CS. Every time I try it I just get wrecked. The skill some people have is insane. I don't know how they can react so quickly! I have a 144hz monitor but I feel like I'm not able to react fast enough. Mostly I play against bots since I can't against real people :messenger_tears_of_joy:
If you havent yet, I recommend playing the death modes. Probably the best way to practice.

SnapShot

Is it just me or CSGO's artstyle just kept getting brighter and more colorful over time? characters looking more and more rubbery and cartoonish, maps looking more vibrant and lacking that early 2012 color palette and darker lighting, heck even the UI's become very minimalistic

337431142-191320206955020-5799312227839879156-n.jpg

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Is it just me or CSGO's artstyle just kept getting brighter and more colorful over time? characters looking more and more rubbery and cartoonish, maps looking more vibrant and lacking that early 2012 color palette and darker lighting
I fully expect these to be tweaked along the way as right now some areas of the maps do appear to be way too bright (they really need to chance the lighting for lower tunnels on D2 as it's far too flat and could benefit from giving it a more dramatic look imo, same goes for some of the areas on the new Nuke).

With regards to the overall look and art style that is something Valve have been working towards over the past few years with their reworks of maps such as Train, Dust 2, Nuke, etc: going for a more unified look while also decreasing clutter and other distracting visual effects. I do hope they don't take it too far though as you end up with something like Valorant which is far too sterile and "boxy" for my tastes (and doesn't help that one of the Valorant mappers has apparently also worked on CS2, eep!)

I like CS partly because all the maps are always heavily inspired by real world locations so I hope that identity maintains as a strong component when it comes to reworked or new maps.

Last edited:

Fake

Is it just me or CSGO's artstyle just kept getting brighter and more colorful over time? characters looking more and more rubbery and cartoonish, maps looking more vibrant and lacking that early 2012 color palette and darker lighting, heck even the UI's become very minimalistic

337431142-191320206955020-5799312227839879156-n.jpg

The only thing I dislike. This obssesion with making everything colorful.

VN1X

Banned

Already some interesting stuff being found. Especially the stat-tracked chickens. We might get pets in CS! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

SnapShot

I fully expect these to be tweaked along the way as right now some areas of the maps do appear to be way too bright (they really need to chance the lighting for lower tunnels on D2 as it's far too flat and could benefit from giving it a more dramatic look imo, same goes for some of the areas on the new Nuke).

With regards to the overall look and art style that is something Valve have been working towards over the past few years with their reworks of maps such as Train, Dust 2, Nuke, etc: going for a more unified look while also decreasing clutter and other distracting visual effects. I do hope they don't take it too far though as you end up with something like Valorant which is far too sterile and "boxy" for my tastes (and doesn't help that one of the Valorant mappers has apparently also worked on CS2, eep!)

I like CS partly because all the maps are always heavily inspired by real world locations so I hope that identity maintains as a strong component when it comes to reworked or new maps.

Oh, a Valorant level designer is helping them with the maps, a girl no less, that explains a lot

VN1X

Banned
Oh, a Valorant level designer is helping them with the maps, a girl no less, that explains a lot
Not sure if serious. :lollipop_downcast_sweat:

For the record I merely pointed out that we now apparently have cross pollination which I thought was kind of odd, nothing more. We've not fully seen the rest of the maps (let alone played them) so we'll just have to be patient for now and hope for the best. Good thing is that even if the maps all turn out to be sub-par (which I highly doubt) Valve have a history of constantly updating and reworking things based on player feedback so it's not as if they'll just shit it out and call it a day.

VN1X

Banned
I'm in baby!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

And Inferno looks amazing. 🤯

Zb1Pbk4.jpg
zk5iZ29.jpg
u25rrfS.jpg
NGHKHBF.jpg
RkKnF0t.jpg
OppMLj3.jpg
UyPAUnY.jpg

Now where others spend ages in their character creation menu I've been trying to fix my crosshair for the past 20 minutes lol.

Some more coverage regarding the latest big update:

Last edited:

twilo99

They still insist on a summer release… maybe they meant southern hemisphere?

Either way really looking forward to this!

Top Bottom