• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive rumours. CS:GO :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

I am not Max
Free 2 play?

eseanews said:
Just today news from the VALVe office has emerged as our own Craig "Torbull" Levine has taken the trip down to supposedly "help develop" the new version of Counter-Strike. Counter-Strike:Global Offensive (CS:GO). Is this VALVe reaching out to the community, recognizing the competitive community?

News first arrived about the new version on the ESEA.net Facebook Page, saying:

"Counter Strike: Global Operation... More info tomorrow!"

Jess Cliffe, one of the original creators of Counter-Strike, was seen posting on the SteamPowered forums, saying "Global Offensive."

Rumors:
Planned to be released Q1 2012
Focuses on 5v5 competition
Press release within 24 hours from VALVe
Plays on an updated source engine
Individual & Team rankings
New Guns added
New Grenades
Dust & Aztec major revamp
Spamming still viable
Ammo is free

Bunch of links from this thread "more info tomorrow"
https://www.facebook.com/ESEA.net
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comment..._headquarters/
http://www.cadred.org/Forums/Thread/154712/
http://eseanews.com/index.php?s=news&d=comments&id=9967

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I'm all for this, I would love a newer Counter Strike <3 I hope the surfing community will come up with some great ideas.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
There was a rumour maybe a week ago regarding a new cs game. Pro gamers were supposedly flown to valve for talks regarding it.

Guess this is it.

I'll be fucking pissed cause I bought all of the CS titles a month ago and have yet to properly get into it, which I want to.

But hey, I'll be happy if it's more "awesomer" and a justified sequel.

Sibylus

Banned
So Dota2, new Counterstrike, and nothing else on the horizon. Cotdamn, fellahs. Something wicked this way comes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This isn't Half-Life 3.

luffeN

corkscrewblow said:
Hopefully it's not awful like Source. "Ammo is free" does not sound promising.
Grenades and movement will probably be the same. Hoping that the shooting will feel different. And I hope that they DON'T include iron sighting. Let me just have a crosshair and shoot xD

ampere

Where's HL3, Gabe!?

You can't do this... you can't make a new CS without a new HL!

Not fair T_________________T

I take back my freakout if the rumor isn't true

Rur0ni

corkscrewblow said:
Hopefully it's not awful like Source. "Ammo is free" does not sound promising.
Source is not awful. :| Nothing will ever live up to 1.x for the purists.

Anyway, competition is behind me now, but I'm interested to see how this plays out.

Mileena

Banned
Source has awful recoil and hitboxes. They admit it with the "updated Source engine" part. Nobody from the CS competitive scene likes Source.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can believe they're working on a new CS, though I don't believe it's called CS:GO and I don't believe it'll be announced within 24 hours.

But, "eat my hat" and all that.

corkscrewblow said:
Source has awful recoil and hitboxes. They admit it with the "updated Source engine" part. Nobody from the CS competitive scene likes Source.
"Updated Source engine" refers to the fact that since Episode One, The Orange Box, L4D2, and Portal 2 came out, the Source engine has been upgraded in various ways that weren't available back when HL2 and CS:S came out.

Rur0ni

corkscrewblow said:
Awful would imply that it's unpredictable. Which isn't true. Updated Source engine is a natural evolution of game development.

edit: And beaten.

kokujin

Banned
The next CS should be based on Neo.I think it adds some much needed flare to the series.

Csneo.jpg

JaseC

EmCeeGramr said:
"Updated Source engine" refers to the fact that since Episode One, The Orange Box, L4D2, and Portal 2 came out, the Source engine has been upgraded in various ways that weren't available back when HL2 and CS:S came out.

It's worth nothing both HL2 and CS:S received the Orange Box engine update.

Mileena

Banned
Rur0ni said:
Awful would imply that it's unpredictable. Which isn't true. Updated Source engine is a natural evolution of game development.

edit: And beaten.
It's not unpredictable, it's just too easy to control. It feels more like CoD than it does CS.

I honestly wonder if a new Counter-Strike would use more distinguishable and recognizable characters, like in TF2 or Left 4 Dead, rather than such mainstays as "Orange Jumpsuit Gordon Freeman" and "Arctic Gear Dude."

_woLf

kokujin said:
The next CS should be based on Neo.I think it adds some much needed flare to the series.

I always wanted to play this, the concept (and the art) looked awesome.

Hoping for the best on this, CS needs a major revamp to compete with other shooters.

Rur0ni

corkscrewblow said:
It's not unpredictable, it's just too easy to control. It feels more like CoD than it does CS.
Eh, I don't play CoD precisely because it's point and shoot. I don't feel Source is anything like that. But lets put this behind us since we're just debating opinions at this point.

EmCeeGramr said:
I honestly wonder if a new Counter-Strike would use more distinguishable and recognizable characters, like in TF2 or Left 4 Dead, rather than such mainstays as "Orange Jumpsuit Gordon Freeman" and "Arctic Gear Dude."

Almost certainly.

I just can't imagine Valve releasing a game nowadays that didn't put great thought in to character design.

Grayman

interesting. I kind of like the idea of 5v5 focus. Keep the casuals playing as close to the competitive game as they can.

I have only recently gotten into CS after not having played since 00, interesting timing.

Uriah

EmCeeGramr said:

Hey man, that's the Elite Crew and Arctic Avengers you're talking about.

I think I'm the only one who read the faction descriptions.

JaseC

_woLf said:
I always wanted to play this, the concept (and the art) looked awesome.

Hoping for the best on this, CS needs a major revamp to compete with other shooters.

To compete in what sense? CS and CS:S are two of the most popular games on Steam, behind only Team Fortress 2. They're also the go-to games for e-sports tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom