• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Couple disappear; Man's facebook begins erratic posting; Later, woman found captive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's fair to say that the Sex Offender Registry needs a total overhaul.

-No more petty offenders (those whose crime does not involve physical contact).
-Shorter time (<10 years) on the registry for children who commit offenses (nonviolent molestation).
-Shorter time (<10 years) for those who have consensual sex with teens (statutory rape) and other first time nonviolent offenders.

Which would free up resources to:

-Perform inspections of properties held by all violent offenders on a bi-annual basis at minimum.
-Restrict violent offenders from owning and/or carrying a weapon.
-Place and enforce severe travel restrictions on all violent offenders.

Most people on the registry are really just cluttering it up, making it easier for the true beasts to hide within the crowd.

Cuburt

Wow, this is nothing like I'd imagine this story would turn out.

This is terrible. Was the person posting on Facebook Kohlhepp? That was such a weird part of the original story.

Also those Amazon reviews are gross. Just another case that reenforces for me the idea of someone "joking" but really giving insight to something they really think.

WinFonda

Makes you wonder about the police department there. This guy nearly got away with a lot of murders. No doubt he felt empowered after going uncaught for over a decade after shooting 4 people in the middle of the day at a bike store. If not for him continuing to push boundaries, and continuing to kill... jesus...

necrosis

This is terrible. Was the person posting on Facebook Kohlhepp? That was such a weird part of the original story.

there are things that suggest as much (references to hotel california in his amazon reviews, for example, the lyrics to which were also posted to charlie's facebook account)

norm9

In hindsight all the signs were there that he was a sociopath. But at the time, he's just a little weird but that's just how he is.

jackal27

Banned
Makes you wonder about the police department there. This guy nearly got away with a lot of murders. No doubt he felt empowered after going uncaught for over a decade after shooting 4 people in the middle of the day at a bike store. If not for him continuing to push boundaries, and continuing to kill... jesus...

True that. It makes me concerned too, but I'll say this: I've lived in a town this small before and they often don't have the police resources for cases like this or to deal as effectively with people like this. I think that if there wasn't a ticking clock on this one and the technology to link them to the killer, they would not have found the woman.

Still, you're right. You'd think they would have found something.

Also, he's a successful, white, charismatic, local business owner and I'm sure that kept eyes off of him. Just look at people who were still saying today "That can't be him." Not saying it's right, it's the opposite, but it is what it is... Small towns are messed up. That's why I was only in one for a few short years.

EDIT: Just heard that he's representing himself, lol.

hirokazu

If only God had been a little quicker telling them about the cellphone pings and getting the IP address for them...
1. From what I've seen and read, this community is quite religious. It's a bit strange, but let it go.

2. This was asked and Wright responded: The cell tower info can give an area as wide as 80 acres. From previous info, they waited for information from all the warrants they issued to be provided to them, including cell tower information and Facebook IPs before they had enough evidence to serve a search warrant on this property.

I don't know why you guys are so hung up on the perceived incompetence of the investigators without having a clue what went on with the investigation process.

necrosis

1. From what I've seen and read, this community is quite religious. It's a bit strange, but let it go.

2. The cell tower info can give an area as wide as 80 acres. They waited for information from all the warrants they issued to be provided to them, including cell tower information and Facebook IPs before they had enough evidence to serve a search warrant on this property.

I don't know why you guys are so hung up on the perceived incompetence of the investigators without having a clue what went on with the investigation process.

to be fair, if the investigators weren't incompetent they certainly went out of their way to sound that way (intentionally or otherwise)

hirokazu

Just reading up some more and updating from my post on the previous page:

The first body police found with the help of cadaver dogs on Friday was the one identified as Carver on Saturday. They haven't actually found any other bodies on the site though they are excavating where Kohlepp indicated on Saturday that two other bodies are buried.

WinFonda

2. This was asked and Wright responded: The cell tower info can give an area as wide as 80 acres. From previous info, they waited for information from all the warrants they issued to be provided to them, including cell tower information and Facebook IPs before they had enough evidence to serve a search warrant on this property.

I read the story on the bike shop murders you linked here in this thread
http://crimewatchdaily.com/2016/02/08/4-people-massacred-in-motorsports-shop-in-middle-of-day/

the crime scene investigators mislabeled DNA of the victims which caused them to chase false leads (that the motive was some sort of bitter love triangle)

"And they pulled me in a room and shut the door. They were very serious and they said 'We've had something come up and we need to talk to you about it,' I said OK, and they said to me, 'You were here about a month ago, you changed a diaper here at the sheriff's office, and we sent it off and compared it to the blood from the crime scene, and your son's DNA does not match up with his father's.'

"They did tell me that the blood had been mislabeled because Brian's body and Scott's body were next to each other at the crime scene and they had just put the wrong name on the blood vial," said Melissa.

Adding to the tragedy, Melissa and other family members now fear all the time authorities spent focusing on her may have let the real killer slip through the cracks, a killer who could very well strike again.

that's pretty much the definition of incompetence. seriously i couldn't believe what i was reading.

S-Wind

True that. It makes me concerned too, but I'll say this: I've lived in a town this small before and they often don't have the police resources for cases like this or to deal as effectively with people like this. I think that if there wasn't a ticking clock on this one and the technology to link them to the killer, they would not have found the woman.

Still, you're right. You'd think they would have found something.

Also, he's a successful, white, charismatic, local business owner and I'm sure that kept eyes off of him. Just look at people who were still saying today "That can't be him." Not saying it's right, it's the opposite, but it is what it is... Small towns are messed up. That's why I was only in one for a few short years.

EDIT: Just heard that he's representing himself, lol.

This guy sounds like a textbook case of psychopathy

jackal27

Banned
The irony. God gets the credit for solving the case, but not for the grizzly murders.

To be fair, Christian theology has been accounting for this for themselves for centuries. As someone who lost 1/4 of my city (including my home) in a tornado a few years ago, only to get constantly trolled online by statements like this, please let these people deal with their pain and confusion in their own way.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the Superbike Murders, here is an article and Cold Case video from earlier this year. Absolutely heartbreaking though so be warned:
http://crimewatchdaily.com/2016/02/08/4-people-massacred-in-motorsports-shop-in-middle-of-day/

To be fair, Christian theology has been accounting for this for themselves for centuries. As someone who lost 1/4 of my city (including my home) in a tornado a few years ago, only to get constantly trolled online by statements like this, please let these people deal with their pain and confusion in their own way.

If anyone is interested in learning more about the Superbike Murders, here is an article and Cold Case video from earlier this year. Absolutely heartbreaking though so be warned:

Jesus that was this guy too!?

hirokazu

the crime scene investigators mislabeled DNA of the victims which caused them to chase false leads (that the motive was some sort of bitter love triangle)

that's pretty much the definition of incompetence. seriously i couldn't believe what i was reading.
Oh yeah, definitely mistakes made there, but people are suggesting that they could've nailed the location Brown was found two months ago when the couple first went missing and we absolutely don't know that.

There is objectively incompetence at some level of law enforcement and the justice system if cell phone evidence points to an 80 acre area, including the property of a known violent sex offender, within two days of a couple suddenly going missing, and it takes nearly two months to eventually have someone physically hear a captive woman for her to get rescued.
And you know this information was available to them two days after the couple went missing because...?

The only information we do know is that the cell phone location was last tracked to that approximate location two days after the couple disappeared, after which there's no further cell tower connections made by the phones. We don't know when this information was released to the investigators. I feel like many of you are mixing up when the cell phones are known to have last had contact with towers with when the investigators had that information.

You also realise 80 acres is a fairly large area that wouldn't pinpoint one property, right? And as I've mentioned, they waited for all the information requested from their warrants to be provided to them. It's possible it was only then that they had enough evidence to obtain the search warrant.

I've said it many times, but maybe stop jumping to conclusions until we have the details and stop assuming investigators can just jump to conclusions and act without having the requisite evidence.

People are naive and live in ivory towers. The recidivism rates for violent sex offenders are VERY VERY high. But people don't want to hear that. They want to believe in goodness, rehabilitation, remorse etc. This is someone who should not have been allowed out. The sex offender registry is a massive joke and law enforcement are rarely able to do the stringent checks that are necessary and many many often commit crimes.

Violent offenders, violent sex offenders, they rarely rehabilitate. Now a person is dead, another was chained like a dog and abused etc.

Completely agreed with this.

We'll put a non-violent drug user in jail for decades but shit like this?

depths20XX

Wow, in that article about the motosport shop murders:

"And there were even more damning clues: On the last day of his life, Brian Lucas was looking at a new house, apparently without his wife's knowledge.

"He was very close to the shop looking at a home with a friend of his who was a realtor, when he received a phone call from Scott," said Lorraine."

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

"And there were even more damning clues: On the last day of his life, Brian Lucas was looking at a new house, apparently without his wife's knowledge.

"He was very close to the shop looking at a home with a friend of his who was a realtor, when he received a phone call from Scott," said Lorraine."

Oh fuck me. That's like a goddamn Criminal Minds episode.

Ozigizo

Jesus, this man is a monster. He needs to be locked away for good.

jackal27

Banned

Oh no... That can't be right? He didn't get his license until 2006 I think? Man... Man I don't know. It would make a lot of sense.

depths20XX

Oh no... That can't be right? He didn't get his license until 2006 I think? Man... Man I don't know. It would make a lot of sense.

You're right. He didn't get his license until 2006. So take it with a grain of salt. I'm not sure if he had any ability to work in selling houses before that point as it says he was only pursuing his career as a real estate agent at that point. He may have been close to the real estate agent or something but this is obviously just conjecture.

WinFonda

Oh yeah, definitely mistakes made there, but people are suggesting that they could've nailed the location Brown was found two months ago when the couple first went missing and we absolutely don't know that.
Perhaps, but their failure to properly pursue and close a quadruple murder case ultimately led to these newer tragedies. And they handled that investigation very, very poorly. It doesn't inspire confidence.

necrosis

just wanted to comment that this line:

Adding to the tragedy, Melissa and other family members now fear all the time authorities spent focusing on her may have let the real killer slip through the cracks, a killer who could very well strike again.

has been fucking haunting me since i read it earlier

hirokazu

This is surreal. This video about the Motorbike Murders was literally posted yesterday. Apparently this weekend is the 13th anniversary.
http://wspa.com/2016/11/04/families-gather-for-13th-anniversary-of-superbike-murders/

I'm definitely glad that the family will finally have some closure, but they are obviously still upset with the way the case was handled.
Wow. And the very next day that case gets solved.

It really makes you wonder what he's been up to between those killings and when he bought the 96 acre property in 2014. I suppose we might find out some of that in the coming days or weeks.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
Holyshit. Really hate being right on this one. How do you kill so many and never get remotely examined by police? Just so fucked up.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
So he got out of jail and pretty much immediately started murdering. Yeah, these old reviews did sound really bad.

PowderedToast

so, so creepy. i've just noticed the writing style on carver's facebook is the same as kohlhepp's posts on his own profile (which is now inaccessible). tons of ellipses between statements. so creepy to see it pieced together like this. that poor girl.

Xilo

Holyshit. Really hate being right on this one. How do you kill so many and never get remotely examined by police? Just so fucked up.

This is the case in almost every serial killer case. Look up how many times people like H.H Holmes, Dahmer, Ted Bundy and others completely get away with it even when police had suspicions but just didn't act on them.

jackal27

Banned
Apparently the investigation has grown to include his other properties as well and they're not all in South Carolina.

bremon

Jesus. I thought this story was creepy when they were still missing...it's moved well past creepy and into terrifying now that more details are coming out.

Jesus. I thought this story was creepy when they were still missing...it's moved well past creepy and into terrifying now that more details are coming out.

This is the kind of story you will see a bunch of studios produce true crime documentaries and dramatizations for the next couple of decades. It's crazy. He will probably be one of the most infamous serial killer of the early 21st century and we still don't know how many more people he killed.

Symphonia

Banned
They really should not have said 'chained up like a dog'.
But...she was? I agree the wording could've been better, but what was said was true. The poor woman was chained up like an animal. Like others have said, if the wording of that sentence is the worst thing you can take away from that story, then you got a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom