• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Courage the Cowardly Dog is one of the greatest cartoons ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It's really a great cartoon, but my sister find it very sad(and i don't fully disagree) lol.

It was my favorite cartoon at the time. The first time I saw it my mind was blown, finally a spooky and scary cartoon without the Scooby Doo shit, with a weird artstyle that I love.

My personal favorite episode is Heads of Beef, that scared the shit out of me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Fuck it, I re-watched the series last year but I have nothing to do today, I'll do it again today with some others. It's all on Netflix, see how it goes watching through the whole series a second time.

I made my four year old watch an episode a few months ago despite his request, and he fell in love. He spent the next week warching it obsessively on Netflix. I think he's a bigger fan than I was lol.

There really is nothing better in life than watching your kid connect to something that was important or memorable in your own childhood.

Like a nostalgia warm fuzzy overload.

Zombine

Banned
Every time this is brought up in conversation, it always makes me feel good. My grandmother (who passed away 3 years ago) used to love watching this show with me. She thought courage was the best, and she loved Muriel. If I have any huge regret in life, it's not taking the time when I was in my early 20s to sit down and watch the show on the couch one more time with her. Courage, Ed, Edd & Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Dexter, and The Power Puff Girls are what got me to turn off Nickelodeon almost entirely.

overcast

Yeah, growing up this was my overall favorite. I watched this shit religiously.

The one one with the cockaroach has a great bit with Eustace arguing boxers/briefs

Cream

Banned
courage-schwick.jpg

You wanna know what made these bones? You don't wanna know what made these bones.

Courage

Great OP. It's my favorite childhood cartoon and still watch it from time to time.

The Hunchback Of Nowhere is my favorite episode. It goes to show that it's such an amazing show, even when it's not trying to disturb the shit out of you.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This was the last cartoon I ever saw on TV. Never bothered following anything afterwards. Courage destroyed everything on CN back then, and it most likely manhandles everything even now. Was so good!

Skii

An amazing cartoon. Was definitely one of my favourites as a kid.

It done horror so well for a cartoon. No real jump scares but instead designing extremely creepy villains with good dedication to building an atmosphere using music. All the main characters had interesting (albeit cliched) faults but their dynamic always allowed the episodes to stay fresh because a villain was always exploiting one of their faults.

Great television.

dbae82e0b3736d1dc8998212205ce13f.jpg

The House of Discontent

The Spirit of the Harvest Moon appears and demands the Bagge's family leave their property, as Eustace, a supposed 'farmer', can't grow a thing on their land, and they have until midnight to either grow something or leave. Featuring a creepy recorded head.

I would say this is my favorite episode, but I also love King Ramsees' Curse and others.

woopWOOP

I don't remember this show being all that scary, despite being a huge wimp at that time (Resident Evil 2 demo made 10yo me scared of the dark for two years, lol). I loved the eerie style the show had going on tho and I always thought of marathoning through the whole thing once more so I could catch the more mature undertones and horror parodies I missed as a kid. I know that Muriel hair growing episode was a parody of that '78 Coma movie tho, which was pretty cool.

I know Eustace is a dick that gets what's coming to him... but I can't help but feel bad about him meeting a horrible fate in nearly every episode. He survives in, what... two episodes or so?

Bladenic

The episode featuring Courage's origins was truly tragic and sad. The Mask was iconic for featuring a rather thinly veiled lesbian relationship among prostitutes (or at least one prostitute).

HabeeNo

When I was a kid, I found it very disturbing, and wasn't that big of a fan.

Started watching it again on Netflix a couple of months ago, and started appreciating the show lol

Its obvious how Courage has its scary moments but I remember the series most for its sweet and uplifting moments like the shadow who became a star, the triple duckling aliens admitting they cared for each other, the Hunchback figure standing up for Courage. Especially with soundtracks like this playing in the background. Good show, really good show.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I should rewatch the series. I probably missed a few episodes when I was younger.

The music in the Tower of Dr. Zalost definitely is memorable. There's so many good themes through the series, but hardly any clean rips of any of the music. The composer has apparently pushed to release a soundtrack multiple times, but some dispute between Warner Brothers and Cartoon Network has made it not happen so far.

Really? I thought all these years CN was owned by Warner Bros.

In addition to the scares, there are some truly heart wrenching episodes. The Hunchback of Nowhere. The Starmakers, and the finale with Courage's origins. Hunchback of Nowhere in particular is a real tear jerker for me personally. That show was really effective at teaching lessons about friendship, bravery, forgiveness, and giving people a chance.

bengraven

It never grabbed me as a kid, but my son started watching it and he was actually creeped out by it. Seeing it off to the side of my vision I realized it's actually a pretty revolutionary show. Not a fan of how crappy it looks on Netflix though.

The Mask is a true work of art. After re-watching I realize how educational it actually is about prejudice, abuse, and relationships. Really good writing in this episode and a happy ending as well.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
I found this show to just be 'okay'.

It definitely wasn't bad, but it severely suffered from repeat syndrome. You'd get a hand full of episodes that would repeat over and over with the majority never really coming on more than once. I also realize that all my favorite episodes are the ones I've only seen once or twice, versus all the other ones that played way too many times. I'm guessing this is because there just weren't very many episodes in general?

Still, it was a well put together package I think.

OP, how could you forget about the Fox? The way Courage and him constantly try to outwit each other was some of the most funny stuff. Them shades to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqwxg0AfXo4

"I WIN!"
*gets punched in the face*

Also Dr. Vindaloo.

courage_L07.jpg

In addition to the scares, there are some truly heart wrenching episodes. The Hunchback of Nowhere. The Starmakers, and the finale with Courage's origins. Hunchback of Nowhere in particular is a real tear jerker for me personally. That show was really effective at teaching lessons about friendship, bravery, forgiveness, and giving people a chance.

Him and the Magic Tree were the only characters that called out Eustace on his BS.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I found this show to just be 'okay'.

It definitely wasn't bad, but it severely suffered from repeat syndrome. You'd get a hand full of episodes that would repeat over and over with the majority never really coming on more than once. I also realize that all my favorite episodes are the ones I've only seen once or twice, versus all the other ones that played way too many times. I'm guessing this is because there just weren't very many episodes in general?

Still, it was a well put together package I think.

When this aired on television, this was probably a problem, though wouldn't be a problem marathoning now. Though I do recall some episodes being on all the time when I was younger, and some almost never coming on.

And there wasn't a shortage of episodes, there were 52 episodes (most split into two shorts).

Toa TAK

Banned
The music in the Tower of Dr. Zalost definitely is memorable. There's so many good themes through the series, but hardly any clean rips of any of the music. The composer has apparently pushed to release a soundtrack multiple times, but some dispute between Warner Brothers and Cartoon Network has made it not happen so far.
Of fucking course.

Great OP, though. This was one of my favorite shows as a kid, so creepy and unnerving, but it's why I was so drawn to it.

Lo-Volt

My guy is getting me into it and I am grateful. It's awesome. The title role also seemed like a pretty hard job for the voice actor! Well done.

Holy shit I just watched Freaky Fred

Thats really not fucking subtle

"Barbara, my love was named,
and her fair hair, a mane untamed,
until one evening, I'm ashamed,
I got a little... naughty.

The look upon my young love's face,
was sweet as lace,
but in this case,
I realized she... needed space."

Yep.

Status