• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COVID-19 lockdown: Preparing for the long haul.

-Minsc-

Wisdom says that things will get worse before they get better.

Lifestyles are changing, whether we like it or not. The initial panic has already passed, it's very likely another panic is well on the way. I'm making this thread so we can all better prepare for what may come, whether it comes or not. Wisdom says, better to be safe than sorry. Too little, too late? We can't get hung up on things like that. My hope is this thread will either turn into an OT (in which I'll edit this first post to include important guides) or someone else can string together anything discussed here and make an OT. This thread is for preparing. It is not for discussing how many are infected, have died and how good or bad other people, county's or world leaders are doing in this situation.

- In what ways can we all both better prepare and be respectful others around us an not hoard all the supplies?
- How many supply trips to make?
- How many of each item to buy per trip?
- How frequently to go and purchase supplies?
- Buy online (above non-hoard questions apply)?
- Should easily distributable essential care packages be but together now?
- Assuming this isn't already part of ones life, meal planning and rationing?

I'm still trying to wrap my own head around this and definitely don't have all the answers (or many, for the matter). The best I believe we can do is keep preparing as calmly as we can. The floor is open.

Yeah I've had to accept that this is for the long haul, definitely another month. My whole lifestyle temporarily changed just like that. Still going hard and fast at work since we're an essential company though.

Last edited:
Rather than an "I got mine" mentality, we should be looking to help where and who we can, or at the very least not taking more than we really need.

This is America, we're bred to act that way, it's basically our impulse so 🤷🏽‍♂️. Everyone is trying to get theirs right now whether from the government, or from the government and from being an essential business.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Prepare for what? My local Wegmans had 5 different types of oysters available last Saturday, we worried that we will only be able to get Misty point oysters over the next couple of weeks? Toilet paper galore, chicken bursting the seams of the freezer, fresh produce in excess. You can still go to McDonald's drive thru for christ sake.
Most of us live in nations of excess, half the people carry enough excess calories that they could go for months with just liquids and vitamins. It's kinda embarrassing how panicked people are getting over having to wipe their ass with something slightly harsher than quilted double ply.

You are like three weeks late. Online deliveries are completely overbooked. Just buy normally, it's too late for preparations.
Food is scarce at the stores here.

Online deliveries are very expensive even with free deliveries. I can't afford it and most low income can't either.

I don't think it's being overlooked so much as people struggling realize it's not affirdable.

Edit: sorry thought you meant food deliveries.

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Food is scarce at the stores here.

Online deliveries are very expensive even with free deliveries. I can't afford it and most low income can't either.

I don't think it's being overlooked so much as people struggling realize it's not affirdable.

Edit: sorry thought you meant food deliveries.

Same for Chicago. Thank god I ordered a case of shit tickets from Amazon before it got weird. Normally I order a 3 month supply and just stash it in our bathroom closet...cheaper that way.

I haven't seen TP in Chicago in two weeks.

Food is weird. Pasta and beans are just sold out. Maybe that's why people are hoarding TP...too many beans

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
- In what ways can we all both better prepare and be respectful others around us an not hoard all the supplies?
By learning lessons the hard way.

5e73ca72c4854041bf61b64c

Booyaaaaaa, motherfuckers! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

entremet

You gotta diversify. One thing I hope this whole mess is that you need multiple points of failure. If all you do is use Amazon for everything, you're assed out.

Avoid big chain stores as that's where everyone is going.

Nickolaidas

I'll never get over the toilet paper insanity. Like, that's the LAST item people actually NEED to use and have no substitute for. I can understand masks and sanitizing wipes, but … toilet paper? Just wash your ass in the bathroom, man. It's healthier.

Live each day to the fullest as if it's your last day on earth starting April 1st.

Also, OP ( -Minsc- -Minsc- ), aren't you a Mushishi? Maybe it's a mushi that needs to be emphatically treated by you with a beautiful and haunting soundtrack that plays at the end of the credits ;)

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
By learning lessons the hard way.

5e73ca72c4854041bf61b64c

Booyaaaaaa, motherfuckers! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Why would you buy toilet paper and then return it? We are still in the early phase. This shit is going to last for half a year with the incompetent government, if the US were testing everywhere they'd find they have a million infections right now. All spreading to even more people.

-Minsc-

"LOL, too late."

My thought is to counter that mindset.

I think the most important thing is, ironically in this situation, the idea of coming together. Rather than an "I got mine" mentality, we should be looking to help where and who we can, or at the very least not taking more than we really need.

They mention flattening the curve for the virus. Do the same for supplies to ensure things do not get worse. Stock up, but don't go overboard. Those who do stock up will have a greater responsibility in their community.

One issue I have is being more mindful of what I eat. I don't plan out my meal portions and definitely stress eat. Being more mindful of what I eat is something which has circulated throughout my mind in the past. I can take more steps now to improve this area. Humanity is not dead, it's definitely not too late to start improving.

Also, OP ( -Minsc- -Minsc- -Minsc- -Minsc- ), aren't you a Mushishi? Maybe it's a mushi that needs to be emphatically treated by you with a beautiful and haunting soundtrack that plays at the end of the credits

As I've said in the past, I just use Ginko's avatar to leech cool points.

Breakage

I went out yesterday and spent the day getting what I could. I'm grateful for what I was able to get and will be staying in for the next week and a half or so.
Being outside is not worth the risk.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why would you buy toilet paper and then return it? We are still in the early phase. This shit is going to last for half a year with the incompetent government, if the US were testing everywhere they'd find they have a million infections right now. All spreading to even more people.
Which means it will be over soon, if we have a million infections then we are 1/300 of the way to everyone having being exposed. The irony of the lockdowns is that they have to fail somewhat to be successful.

I'll never get over the toilet paper insanity. Like, that's the LAST item people actually NEED to use and have no substitute for. I can understand masks and sanitizing wipes, but … toilet paper? Just wash your ass in the bathroom, man. It's healthier.
Tbf food is here is being hoarded too.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Fortunately in my area stores seem to have bounced back and are making the right steps towards buy limits and sanitation. Looking at my nearest store shelves they have cleaning supplies, TP, and most food now. Online delivery is backed up by about a week, but if you plan ahead accordingly you shouldn't have to horde.

Top Bottom