• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion Clickbait COVID-19, the Trump bullet

Sign

Jun 4, 2012
Since when is market globalization left wing? It took them forever to adapt to it, that's why Clinton spent big government money on providing resources to people who lost their manufacturing jobs to offshoring because people couldn't learn to grow and compete on their own.

Republicans (Reagan) are about raw capitalism, endless competition, more markets to increase sales and reduce labor costs to increase value to shareholders. Don't give credit to Democrats lol, we did that shit, not them.

What's good about Trump is that China is now too powerful, so we need to secure our power by not relying on them so much, and taking it hard to them on trade. The Corona virus is just luck to take advantage of.
I was mostly talking about modern times, Trump ran on economic populism and the dems have fought him every step of the way. You are right about Reagan but the open the borders, everyone gets to benefit from America but Americans, we must sacrifice American prosperity to prop up failed states and to suggest otherwise is some form of an -ism suicide slide is distinctly left wing in this era. I'm not particularly fond of Reagan, but I have no trouble seeing him as misguided but well intended. I cannot say the same of modern leftist orthodoxy.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
It'd be mind-boggling if reducing funding for the CDC and NIH is Trump's iceberg.

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
We have like 0.00001% of the US population infected and the media is talking like its the apocalypse.

Its almost March already and warm weather will kill this thing before there can even be any outbreaks. Sorry Trump haters this isnt going to be "the one". What else ya got?

Piku_Ringo

Jan 24, 2015
Both the left and the right benefitted from globalism. I really mean the elites though. The left got to import more votes, and the right got to import more cheap labor.

Reactions: Son Tofu
Feb 22, 2018
China
We have like 0.00001% of the US population infected and the media is talking like its the apocalypse.

Its almost March already and warm weather will kill this thing before there can even be any outbreaks. Sorry Trump haters this isnt going to be "the one". What else ya got?
The actual figure for total infections in china as a percentage of the population is 0.005%. 80,000 of 1.44 billion is that. And yet it's front page news and causing major factory disruptions and affecting almost everybody thanks to quarantines. If it reached that in the US it would cause major riots and economic hardships since its not viable to enforce any sort of curfew on Americans, many of whom don't get paid leave and can't take 14-30 days off from work without losing their jobs or their rental homes. The stock market has already fallen 10% on the mere rumors of an uncountable outbreak alone.

What if it is revealed there are thousands of infections over the coming days? Test kits are still nowhere in sight but maybe China donates some. There will be mass panic because there is no way to control it. American state governments can't control city infrastructure maintenance, let alone an epidemic. Now is not the time to turn around and discount the severity of this. China dealt with it, cases outside of Hubei are far less than globally, it is China's turn to block flights from abroad. Now its your turn to be the potentially infected undesirables.

I maintain that in practical terms this ain't shit. The flu remains a far more prolific killer. But populations panic, governments take or fail to take action, suddenly it morphs into a major political issue according to perception alone. Suddenly it is amplified far beyond reality and becomes a psychological obstacle.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019
New York

Warm weather isnt going to be enough. This thing is still cutting through Singapore despite it's temperate climate. It's still no End of the World Virus, but this things definitely gonna infect a lot of people before it dies out.

Oct 2, 2017
Warm weather isnt going to be enough. This thing is still cutting through Singapore despite it's temperate climate. It's still no End of the World Virus, but this things definitely gonna infect a lot of people before it dies out.
Yeah, apparently there are also reports that people have already caught the virus twice.

#Phonepunk#

Gold Member
Sep 4, 2018
it's not that far fetched that this virus could be the one that takes down Trump.
lol i don't think so. i would put it slightly below "Access Hollywood tape" under "surefire things that take down Trump"
Personally, I think that he'll be able to weather this storm since the economy isn't the only thing in his favor. Illegal immigration is down, new trade agreements have been made, etc. have put him in a good light. Perhaps this could be the China election meddling that people were whispering about
yes, China is taking their own economy as well as the global economy, solely to take down Trump /s

TDS in full effect

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
Bring back factories to america and dont allow unions. Instead give people stock options.
Bernie has been banging that drum for a long time.

The time has come to substantially expand employee ownership in America. Study after study has shown that employee ownership increases employment, increases productivity, increases sales, and increases wages in the United States. This is in large part because employee-owned businesses boost employee morale, dedication, creativity and productivity, because workers share in profits and have more control over their own work lives.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Since when is market globalization left wing? It took them forever to adapt to it, that's why Clinton spent big government money on providing resources to people who lost their manufacturing jobs to offshoring because people couldn't learn to grow and compete on their own.

Republicans (Reagan) are about raw capitalism, endless competition, more markets to increase sales and reduce labor costs to increase value to shareholders. Don't give credit to Democrats lol, we did that shit, not them.

What's good about Trump is that China is now too powerful, so we need to secure our power by not relying on them so much, and taking it hard to them on trade. The Corona virus is just luck to take advantage of.
Both parties did that shit. The elites in power did that shit. Clinton sold out the American middle class to the Chinese so that he could be president.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepEnigma

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Get curedin the North Korea.
NK don't give a fuck. If your neighboor is suspected of having it, the whole village is probably shot and then the bodies burned.

SKers have been reporting burning bodies for a few weeks now. Take it as you will but if there is one regime that I would not put past to start massacering its people to protect the elites its NK.

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
Get curedin the North Korea.
Anyone surprised by this, honestly? Well anyway, people think that North Korea is a hermit state but actually their border with China is extremely active. Smuggling is a daily routine there, people trading anything for electronics, appliances, medicine, USBs with movies, photos etc. it is the Wild West up there.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If this devolves into stupid US political BS then you guys are fucked. Its already going there. Pelosi and Schumy bitching about Trump not being prepared. Media dunking on Trump. Trump isnt innocent he talked about bi partisanship but still took time out to dunk on Dems during his PC.

But we already know that this is going to be ripe for division. I am just waiting for people to start playing the race and class card. If Hurricanes and Climate change can be racist and classist you know they will play IDpol with Corona. Trump is sending the virus to kill blacks. Rich people are getting tested but not poor people. Face masks are racist because they are meant for small white noses. Or whatever other BS agenda's people will try to tack onto this.

If Americans take this thing and use it as another tool to push political agendas you guys are fucked.

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
Yes, Trump was so right and prophetic about all this. Truly a visionary mind.

EDIT:

That's a very foolish way of thinking, ignoring the fast global spread of disease by land, air and sea across such an interconnected world.

Cutting funding for the CDC, which is what led to shutting down those programs, leads to the exact opposite of prevention: delayed reaction.
Coronavirus comes from China not the US. So who gives a shit?

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org
  • LOL
Reactions: SpartanN92

wordslaughter

Apr 17, 2019
The best thing that can come from this is the return of American manufacturing factories and jobs. Trump has been banging this drum since he was elected and more and more will join him. This virus started in China and has exposed the dangers of relying so heavily on them.

Meanwhile the left will continue being petty. AOC has been bashing Mike Pence being in charge, but can you imagine if SHE was the one in charge of this? LOL

Or Warren wanting to spend wall money on the virus. But this isn't just a partisan stunt,no, she's SO worried about "the people." Nothing the left does is ever sincere.

EDIT: Yup, on the front page of Reddit right now the spin machine is hard at work "Trump Admin Appears to have Sparked Coronavirus Outbreak in US."
Yeah, the virus that either started Because of chinese people eating bats OR was leaked from a BSL-4 lab in Wuhan.... this is all Trump's fault!

...the mental gymnastics required...

Last edited:

Yoda

Jun 17, 2011
China managed to reverse its infection rate within ~3 months. Assuming the U.S. got hit as hard as China, which seems unlikely, the timing wouldn't coincide with the election.

btgorman

Jul 26, 2009
China managed to reverse its infection rate within ~3 months. Assuming the U.S. got hit as hard as China, which seems unlikely, the timing wouldn't coincide with the election.
Imagine trusting China numbers. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yoda

Jun 17, 2011
Imagine trusting China numbers. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You don't have to trust the totals to subscribe to the fact the rate of infections is slowing. ex someone who's skeptical of their counts who feels the same way about the rate:

Last edited:

llien

Feb 1, 2017
When scary deadly virus pandemic looms, but you think about the impact on The Orange Man instead of an own ass...

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
If this devolves into stupid US political BS then you guys are fucked. Its already going there. Pelosi and Schumy bitching about Trump not being prepared. Media dunking on Trump. Trump isnt innocent he talked about bi partisanship but still took time out to dunk on Dems during his PC.

But we already know that this is going to be ripe for division. I am just waiting for people to start playing the race and class card. If Hurricanes and Climate change can be racist and classist you know they will play IDpol with Corona. Trump is sending the virus to kill blacks. Rich people are getting tested but not poor people. Face masks are racist because they are meant for small white noses. Or whatever other BS agenda's people will try to tack onto this.

If Americans take this thing and use it as another tool to push political agendas you guys are fucked.
Dude, black Americans think Reagan invented crack, and HIV and gave it exclusively to black people and gay people. Everything in this country is politicized.

It's honestly a waste of time trying to reach them.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Stock market taking a hit atm. My work has cancelled flights to CA, NY and Atlanta unless approved by an exec.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
He isn't for open borders... And you think he isn't a strong competitor? Based on what polling?
I'm not doing this rodeo again. I have written long pieces, iirc correctly, in response to you, quoting from his own website and detailing his actual positions and why i feel that is effectively open borders and you, and other bernie supporters, simply never respond.

So if you can pull that shit and just say he isn't, without even an attempt to back it up.... then i will simply assert he is.

The difference being, is if push comes to shove, i can, and have, backed my assertion up in full on this very site, at least once in the past month alone.

Last edited:

Dontero

Apr 19, 2018
To be Trump bullet it needs to be something that is not natural disaster.
Usually in time of diseasters people rally behind leaders which means Trump can again win on this virus outbreak.

HarryKS

Jan 24, 2010
Like the guy but he's not handled this one correctly.

The other thing he should have immediately worked on is to repair the main pathways and key infrastructure throughout the USA. There's no reason to wait for a second mandate. Should start now. It's unbecoming of the most powerful nation on Earth to have collapsing bridges, tunnels and roads.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
It'd be mind-boggling if reducing funding for the CDC and NIH is Trump's iceberg.
Replying to myself to update/correct this.

Evidently Trump submitted these funding cuts but congress ignored him.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Like the guy but he's not handled this one correctly.

The other thing he should have immediately worked on is to repair the main pathways and key infrastructure throughout the USA. There's no reason to wait for a second mandate. Should start now. It's unbecoming of the most powerful nation on Earth to have collapsing bridges, tunnels and roads.
The states get a ton of funding for this, and abuse it, pissing it away and rewarding to high priced contract friends. The corruption needs to be fixed on the state level, not just dumping more money into it.

Jan 9, 2018
What I don't get is that the spread of a global virus that shuts down our various supply lines (including medical supplies we get from China!) is a great argument in favor of national borders and better isolation of economies, so it should play well to Trump. Bannon realizes this, and is out there on his podcast arguing the nationalist case for understanding this moment. But Trump has dropped the ball on controlling the political narrative well.

Bootzilla

Dec 19, 2019
It seems like Trump's Hurricane Katrina, at least.

I don't know to what extent the Cornoavirus is really causing damage to the economy or just triggering an overdue correction. The Obama-Trump economy (they're a straight line, let's be honest) has long been a Jenga tower of sorts.

More than the death toll, I think the virus is going to make it really obvious the cost of a lack of affordable healthcare to even many insured people, as well as just how many people are a lost paycheck or two away from financial ruin. The Cornoavirus isn't causing those economic failures, but it'll make people realize they've been in bad shape all along.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Yeah, China is clearly not in the establishments’ pocket. They have the highest concentration of anywhere in the world and they get the lightest coloration on the map with not even the entire country covered.

Meanwhile, all of Siberian through Russia and the Arctic Circle through Canada solid red.

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

Commie News Network, indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitys_7th

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
It seems like Trump's Hurricane Katrina, at least.

I don't know to what extent the Cornoavirus is really causing damage to the economy or just triggering an overdue correction. The Obama-Trump economy (they're a straight line, let's be honest) has long been a Jenga tower of sorts.

More than the death toll, I think the virus is going to make it really obvious the cost of a lack of affordable healthcare to even many insured people, as well as just how many people are a lost paycheck or two away from financial ruin. The Cornoavirus isn't causing those economic failures, but it'll make people realize they've been in bad shape all along.
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: Yeah people are totally going to want to throw away their current healthcare,and join Bernie's bullshit Medicare plan becuase 60 people in America have coronavirus

Bootzilla

Dec 19, 2019
:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: Yeah people are totally going to want to throw away their current healthcare,and join Bernie's bullshit Medicare plan becuase 60 people in America have coronavirus
I think millions of people are gonna get it, if a vaccine is still like a year away. I guess we'll see but I'm operating under the assumption that this is going to spread like the flu but worse, for lack of a vaccine.

I'm in New York, and once it hits here we're all getting it. New Yorkers are crammed into subway cars like sardines every day, there is no stopping this.

But this isn't just about "Medicare for All". 78% of this country lives paycheck to paycheck. Many of those people have somehow convinced themselves the economy is good but if they end up missing a couple paychecks due to illness that illusion crumbles. People won't be feeling so good about the economy.

Last edited: