• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COVID-19 vaccine would you accept it?

Will you take the COVID-19 vaccine?

• Yes

Votes: 75 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 45 30.4%
  • Currently undecided

Votes: 27 18.2%
  • Sonic Speed!!!

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters

Cutty Flam

Banned
Personally, I am not well versed in the science of how vaccines work so I don’t know if they’re even safe

If I were to take any type of vaccine, I would want to question the very scientist that made said vaccine eye to eye before even coming to a decision lol

So with that, I would not take the vaccine. I would rather take my chances fighting the virus itself

Teslerum

Yes, absolutly. Vaccines are a reason I could organize things safely in places I otherwise couldn't have, so would be hypocritical if I didn't.

Alx

Personally, I am not well versed in the science of how vaccines work so I don’t know if they’re even safe

If I were to take any type of vaccine, I would want to question the very scientist that made said vaccine eye to eye before even coming to a decision lol

So with that, I would not take the vaccine. I would rather take my chances fighting the virus itself

How would questioning the scientist who made it be of any help if you don't have medical training ?
If in doubt, just ask your doctor. That's why they exist, so you can talk to someone knowledgable about what's best for your health.

Nester99

the truth is out there, keep fighting the anti vaccine dream.

good luck with your scientist cross examination.

cormack12

Gold Member
I'd want to wait a month to see if there were any unwanted effects first off.
But then I'd take it (if a test wouldn't indicate that I had Covid anyway already).

It depends. I'm leaning in the 'no' camp at the moment but undecided. To run a vaccine through in such a short timeframe and have no long term clinical trials is dangerous. It might be a low risk but it's still a risk. And me being healthy and young with no underlying conditions means the risk of not taking the vaccine is less. Those at-risk will probably have to make their own decisions. I definitely do not want another Thalidomide scenario in the future. To fully test the vaccine, you're talking about carrying from conception to birth and then onwards to childhood. Yes, I understand that the components individually would appear safe and regulated/approved (so was Distaval for pregnant women at one time) but still, I don't think we should be relaxing safeguards while chasing a silver bullet.

It took five years for the connection between thalidomide taken by pregnant women and the impact on their children to be made. Not only did thalidomide change people’s lives, but it resulted in tighter drug testing and reporting of side-effects.

Nymphae

Banned
Nope. I will need to be forced.

Someone asked me this the other day and I don't really know what the answer is - if they started forcing the entire population to get vaccinated for this, what is the downside to letting individuals opt out of that treatment? Everyone who's vaccinated should be in the clear right? So what does it matter if some people choose to take a risk for themselves?

If the vaccines do what they claim, then it should be no problem to let me not take one. If they don't, then I question why it should be mandatory for everyone.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Banned
I was all for vaccines until the left became absolutely obsessed with them. Now I'm second-guessing it. When was the last time any of their main platform pieces were good for us?

I'm not worried about getting COVID. If the point is to "slow the spread" and "protect those who would be harmed by it," why can't they get the vaccine? If that's not good enough to help them, then what is the point of the vaccine?

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
So during a peak of the Swine flu pandemic my wife was pregnant with our second daughter.
The doctor advised her to get the vaccine which had only been out a couple months.
We discussed the risks for a week while doing as much research as we could. The idea of getting an unproven vaccine was a huge deal to my wife as she wouldn't even take Advil for headaches while pregnant.
In the end we decided agazinest it.

Fast forward a decade and our daughter is a bright, strong young girl with no allergies who has been the epidemy of good health. We personally know three other couples who were pregnant that year who got the vaccine. All three miscarried within ten days. Coincidence? We don't think so.

V4skunk

Banned
Yes of course, I am very glad that anti vaxxers are not really a thing in my country.
I would have died multiple times in my life as a kid if I would not have a vaccine against Tetanus just for example.
BWAHAHAHAHA you actually think tetanus is a virus?
You also realise that actual viruses are constantly mutating to defeat your immune system?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If they rush the approval of it, I won't, otherwise I may, but certainly not early on. Statistically, it is a relatively low risk sickness for me and I deem the risk of an insufficiently thoroughly tested vaccine higher than that of possibly contracting the sickness.

Mihos

Gold Member
Nope. I will need to be forced.

Someone asked me this the other day and I don't really know what the answer is - if they started forcing the entire population to get vaccinated for this, what is the downside to letting individuals opt out of that treatment? Everyone who's vaccinated should be in the clear right? So what does it matter if some people choose to take a risk for themselves?

If the vaccines do what they claim, then it should be no problem to let me not take one. If they don't, then I question why it should be mandatory for everyone.

There are some people who can't vaccinate for whatever reason... allergic, compromised immune systems, etc... so the reasoning is if you are able to to be immunized, you should to protect those who can't

Nymphae

Banned
There are some people who can't vaccinate for whatever reason... allergic, compromised immune systems, etc...

How does vaccination negatively impact these people? Are allergies to vaccines common? How do I know if I have one?

V4skunk

Banned
He didn't say it was.

Aren't you the guy who believes COVID literally doesn't exist because you don't know anyone that's had it?
No i'm the guy who since January has been saying this is man made china virus, as scientifically proven by multiple institutions world wide, and that covid19 is no worse than common flu.
Keep watching the tv programming and remember to take the vax like a good slave/sheep. We can all see with our own eyes in reality this is a scam and that you leftists again are the minority in your brainwashing / beliefs.

Mihos

Gold Member
What is the allergic response?

His face swelled up and he broke out along his neck. This was for the MMR vaccines

Not sure if it is still the same, but if you were allergic to eggs (like Margot Robbie), you couldn't get the flu vaccine. I think they have an alternative now, though.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No i'm the guy who since January has been saying this is man made china virus, as scientifically proven by multiple institutions world wide, and that covid19 is no worse than common flu.
Keep watching the tv programming and remember to take the vax like a good slave/sheep. We can all see with our own eyes in reality this is a scam and that you leftists again are the minority in your brainwashing / beliefs.

This is you, yesterday:

What pandemic? Covid19 is a lie.
We can all see with our own eyes in reality that there is no virus! But hey keep thinking what the tv tells you to think fool.
Also remember to take the vaccine like a good sheep.

You can't even keep your story straight for 24 hours. All you do is spout the same lines about programming and brainwashing ad nauseum, then call anyone who disagrees with you a leftist sheep, and it's not just on the topic of vaccination. I didn't say I'd take a vaccine nor did I specify my political allegiance, shit I don't even have live TV, you just make assumptions because to disagree with you must make someone the polar opposite.

Ease off the gas, this pattern of "everyone is blind to the truth except me and my friends" thinking is rotting your brain. I know you want everything to be a lie because it vindicates your hatred but when you can't even decide which non-mainstream theory you're going with, you just sound crazy.

Last edited:
But,

750.jpg

V4skunk

Banned
This is you, yesterday:

You can't even keep your story straight for 24 hours. All you do is spout the same lines about programming and brainwashing ad nauseum, then call anyone who disagrees with you a leftist sheep, and it's not just on the topic of vaccination. I didn't say I'd take a vaccine nor did I specify my political allegiance, shit I don't even have live TV, you just make assumptions because to disagree with you must make someone the polar opposite.

Ease off the gas, this pattern of "everyone is blind to the truth except me and my friends" thinking is rotting your brain. I know you want everything to be a lie because it vindicates your hatred but when you can't even decide which non-mainstream theory you're going with, you just sound crazy.
There is no virus here you fool. You can see with your own eyes in reality that NOBODY is even suffering just even minor symptoms any where in the world.
And it is also FACT that what ever Covid19 is, is man made and from China.
Wake up you fruit cake.
Also before you talk shit about knowing some one who got/died from pneumonia! You don't even get pneumonia from supposed Covid19! You get a pulmonary edema.
Try harder comrade and keep up with the tv programming.

Last edited:

Djau

Banned
Yeah that's why insurance won't even cover you if you get fucked up because of a vaccine.

No, thats capitalism gone wild. That doesn't happen outside of America.

So during a peak of the Swine flu pandemic my wife was pregnant with our second daughter.
The doctor advised her to get the vaccine which had only been out a couple months.
We discussed the risks for a week while doing as much research as we could. The idea of getting an unproven vaccine was a huge deal to my wife as she wouldn't even take Advil for headaches while pregnant.
In the end we decided agazinest it.

Fast forward a decade and our daughter is a bright, strong young girl with no allergies who has been the epidemy of good health. We personally know three other couples who were pregnant that year who got the vaccine. All three miscarried within ten days. Coincidence? We don't think so.

Do you burn witches as well and pray to Sky God for good omens? Vaccines that can harm unborn fetus aren't given to pregnant females.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
There is no virus here you fool. You can see with your own eyes in reality that NOBODY is even suffering just even minor symptoms any where in the world.
And it is also FACT that what ever Covid19 is, is man made and from China.
Wake up you fruit cake.
Also before you talk shit about knowing some one who got/died from pneumonia! You don't even get pneumonia from supposed Covid19! You get a pulmonary edema.
Try harder comrade and keep up with the tv programming.

I know 3 people who have tested positive for it, they've all recovered because they're young and healthy. One barely felt anything, the other two were pretty sick. I don't know anyone who's died, but I know several people with dead friends/relatives now. I know a couple of doctors who were really busy treating it, but now aren't thanks to the lockdown. I know all of these people, they aren't from the television.

You're off the deep end. I know there's no point in arguing with you, but to deny reality on this scale is akin to being a flat earther. I know because you don't know anybody who's had it makes you think it's all a big lie, but that's not how the world works. I don't know anyone that's been to space, but I believe in space. Repeating "leftist! programming! brainwashing! sheep!" isn't an argument and nobody thinks it makes your points valid.

Yoda

Depends, if I think it's safe of course... If I have reasons to doubt said safety because the government has a vested interest to get **something** out the door, I'll wait.

We don't have a vaccine for SARS or MERS and those viruses are in the same class as COVID19, the idea we'd somehow get one in a short time-span feels overly optimistic to me.

Leaning towards no, but that's because I highly suspect I've already had it. By the time a vaccine is developed we will find out if this is a seasonal virus, and I'll have taken an antibody test, both factors will make my decision.

If the government attempts to force it then fuck right off.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yup. An FDA approved vaccine is probably fine.

Do you want to question the scientist that makes your Tylenol?

Part of that reasoning is because being able to do what they claim requires a certain threshold of the population having taken it. It's the basis of herd immunity.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

How a vaccine works:
Antigen (what your immune system recognizes) :a small portion of the virus, or the intact virus with small modifications to limit it's virulence
Adjuvant: Stimulates your immune system to increase immune response to antigen - something like a small piece of bacterial cell wall that your immune system is well versed in tackling

You inject both together, your immune system attacks the adjuvant and recruits antibody generating cells which through a process of selection results in antibodies that recognize the virus.
Getting immunity through infection with the virus is essentially the same except you are relying on the massive proliferation of the virus to induce the immune response.
The danger of a vaccine:
The antibodies also recognize something in your body you don't want them to recognize (auto immunity)
Allergic reactions to a component in the vaccine
It doesnt work
Dangers of infection:
Auto immunity
Virus kills or maims you

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
yep, i'd take it. probably would be one of the first people offered it (healthcare worker)

The appropriate question actually is would i be able to afford the vaccine?

imagine actually having to worry about if you can afford a vaccine. i take it you're from the US? lol

Last edited:

Hari Seldon

If it's FDA approved, that probably means you aren't, barring exceptions due to fast tracking policy.

Eh the FDA approval cycle is not fool proof, especially not in rush mode. I'm not scared of vaccines but I'm scared of a rushed vaccine. I will wait until a larger amount of people get the vaccine and report no problems, then get it. The way manufacturing works, there won't be some switch one day where everyone in the world can get the vaccine on day 1. It will probably have to go to hospital workers and at risk people first anyway.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
How does vaccination negatively impact these people? Are allergies to vaccines common? How do I know if I have one?
If you have certain sicknesses, you are either immune respressed by the sickness itself or, if it is an auto.immune disease, you may require medication to weaken your immune system (in order to stop it from killing you). In those instances, you cannot take vaccines or, even if you can take them, they are not effective, because your immune system cannot adapt properly.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Obviously the bottom line is when we talk about covid-19 the most things are said about it

a.) covid-19 is constantly in attactk mode and dominating the headlines

b.) a vaccine like the OP mentions

Washing your hands ins't enough. Bottom line.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Probably not in the first wave if they rush it out. From what they seem to be planning vulnerable populations will get it in the first wave, so I am not likely to be included until later anyways.

Top Bottom