• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid scare aka wear the fucking mask.

HE1NZ

Banned
Posts like this and the weirdly aggressive ones overstating one's freedom (if more people thought like that our species would go extinct and we'd deserve it too) are a wonderful summary of the fucked up Dunning–Kruger effect that happens in basically every Covid related thread here. There's this very simple explanation that somehow eludes you, like two really big places separated by a fucking ocean with different actions being taken to contain the crisis might be at different contagion stages. If you want to expand a bit your horizons on the matter, I'd recommend reading this.

M1chl M1chl let it go bro. You're fighting a good fight and you're much more moderate on your views on this subject than I am. Still won't lead you nowhere.
I can tell you for sure that the responce to COVID by Trump's feds was 10 times as agressive as anywhere else in the world. Yet the CNN would still claim it wasn't enough. But let's say in Belarus the government simply pretended the virus didn't exist. Now they have 100s of thousands of people protesting the elections. And nobody dies from covid. It almost like it really doesn't exist in there.

At this point COVID is a political tool first and foremost.

Azurro

Banned
They told us masks were dangerous before they told us they were safe. The government has zero credibility, and when doctors try to speak out about it they are censored. This is a conspiracy, and I'm not stupid. I have an above average IQ.

Let me guess, American from a small village/city, right? Lol, your country can't even get people to wear a damn mask and yet you are "losing all your freedoms".

The advice was different because information about covid was scarce, that's it.

Saruhashi

Banned
Is it so hard to wear mask, you already wear the clothes, I don't think it's that much of freedom breaker. Because despite conspirational theories, Covid is real. And since so far there is not vaccination, then I think it's a small price to pay by wearing mask. If you ever had a pneumonia, you know what kind of hell is that.

To be honest the only reason I wear a mask is to be respectful to others. That's it.

The flip flopping on masks by experts is unimpressive to say the least and all but admitting that they believe that the advice given at the start of this did cost lives. No accountability though, of course.

I see tons of people wearing masks wrong, not wearing appropriate masks and it's obvious that many, many, people just don't even understand the basics.

The "wear a fucking mask" stuff is just getting to be annoying and you can see why people are starting to get pissed off.

Nobody likes authoritarians. Less so when they are aggressive and coming on with an "I'm better than you, scum" attitude.

Maybe a gentler approach is needed and if we see people without masks on we just do our best to give them a wide berth?

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
then stay home

stop asking the rest of us to suffer with you

myself and most other people are going to take this thing off soon, and it's going to be up to you to protect yourself.

i suggest you start figuring out how you're going to do that
Yes making you wear a mask is suffering, didnt realize it was equivalent to torture. Im glad businesses are taking charge and having people wear masks. Glad they are kicking people out to.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Let me guess, American from a small village/city, right? Lol, your country can't even get people to wear a damn mask and yet you are "losing all your freedoms".

The advice was different because information about covid was scarce, that's it.
Yea what people dont understand is that it takes tike to gather intel on a new virus esp the fact that china tried to hard the virus for so long. When more studies were done about the virus the more we learnt from it and how to effectively tackle it.

I can tell you for sure that the responce to COVID by Trump's feds was 10 times as agressive as anywhere else in the world. Yet the CNN would still claim it wasn't enough. But let's say in Belarus the government simply pretended the virus didn't exist. Now they have 100s of thousands of people protesting the elections. And nobody dies from covid. It almost like it really doesn't exist in there.

At this point COVID is a political tool first and foremost.

I disagree with you, I think european countries overall took much stricter measures. I'll grant you that Covid only gets brought up when it's convenient thanks to the american media largely being agenda driven. The thing with the protests was ridiculous, yet people would bitch about social distancing in every Trump event. That IS fucked up. I think there are two diseases at this point, Covid and the media itself.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

I disagree with you, I think european countries overall took much stricter measures. I'll grant you that Covid only gets brought up when it's convenient thanks to the american media largely being agenda driven. The thing with the protests was ridiculous, yet people would bitch about social distancing in every Trump event. That IS fucked up. I think there are two diseases at this point, Covid and the media itself.
I agree, after it hit italy hard people tool note and took extreme measures especially when it came out in Milan that they were pixking who lived and died. Did American shut down....sureeeee but I feel they could have done a generally better job all around or they wouldnt have had their second wave so quick.

Last edited:
I agree, after it hit italy hard people tool note and took extreme measures especially when it came out in Milan that they were pixking who lived and died. Did American shut down....sureeeee but I feel they could have done a generally better job all around or they wouldnt have had their second wave so quick.

Italy actually did a tremendous job all things considered containing the crisis, from people being loaded into trucks daily to a significant decrease of numbers day to day through some harsh but needed measures. It pains me to see that overall we have learned nothing and many of us are taking a badass stand on not wearing a mask as a symbol of... Something?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Italy actually did a tremendous job all things considered containing the crisis, from people being loaded into trucks daily to a significant decrease of numbers day to day through some harsh but needed measures. It pains me to see that overall we have learned nothing and many of us are taking a badass stand on not wearing a mask as a symbol of... Something?
Brazil wtf

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

POLITICS,

lol meanwhile its mostly business who are choosing to keep their staff and people at their stores safe.

somehow everything is "politics"

Joe T.

images

Masks are little more than a symbol, a signal, when used in public settings, but don't take it from me:

"Wearing face masks in public during the influenza season may reflect other positive hygiene practices in Japan" -NIH

Conclusions
Overall, this study suggests that wearing a face mask in public may be associated with other personal hygiene practices and health behaviors among Japanese adults. Rather than preventing influenza itself, face mask use might instead be a marker of additional, positive hygiene practices and other favorable health behaviors in the same individuals.

cryptoadam

Banned
images

Masks are little more than a symbol, a signal, when used in public settings, but don't take it from me:

"Wearing face masks in public during the influenza season may reflect other positive hygiene practices in Japan" -NIH

Welp cases on the rise in Quebec, threats of shutdowns again. Mask mandate since July 18th. How does that compute? We had so few cases by July 1st yet our cases didn't go down. Shouldn't the masks have erradicated the virus completely in the 7 weeks since the mandate went into effect?

How did we go from almost 1000 cases a day the most in Canada, to 100 or less without masks but then with masks we couldn't do the same 90% reduction?

Well I am sure the excuse will be no one in QC wore masks and that if we didn't start wearing masks after reducing the virus by 90% we would of had a huge explosion and have 100000 cases a day.

images

I'm not sure how the link you quoted is related to the argument you're trying to make, I am however sure you didn't understand what I meant. I'm not talking about the usefulness of masks, I'm talking about the usefulness of this debate. You could always do this.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Welp cases on the rise in Quebec, threats of shutdowns again. Mask mandate since July 18th. How does that compute? We had so few cases by July 1st yet our cases didn't go down. Shouldn't the masks have erradicated the virus completely in the 7 weeks since the mandate went into effect?

How did we go from almost 1000 cases a day the most in Canada, to 100 or less without masks but then with masks we couldn't do the same 90% reduction?

Well I am sure the excuse will be no one in QC wore masks and that if we didn't start wearing masks after reducing the virus by 90% we would of had a huge explosion and have 100000 cases a day.
How's travel like in Quebec, can you go freely to and from with isolation now? In Manitoba we had zero cases for a few days and lifted the quarantine and travel isolation and cases spiked massively after that.

cryptoadam

Banned
How's travel like in Quebec, can you go freely to and from with isolation now? In Manitoba we had zero cases for a few days and lifted the quarantine and travel isolation and cases spiked massively after that.

We have been open since May, May 25th in Montreal. As far as I know you can travel wherever you want.

Looks like its mainly being driven in Quebec city. Montreal had a little rise but we have been in the 20-50 case range since June. Today a little high but I bet it drops down again in the next few days.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

We have been open since May, May 25th in Montreal. As far as I know you can travel wherever you want.

Looks like its mainly being driven in Quebec city. Montreal had a little rise but we have been in the 20-50 case range since June. Today a little high but I bet it drops down again in the next few days.
Same, that was my problem with opening travel without having an isolation period. As soon as manitoba opened up and cancelled the isolation, our cases spiked. We literally had bo cases. Kind wish they would shut it down again for a few weeks to weed out the rest and start over. That or travel but you have to isolate for minimum 10 days unless you get a negative test

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Same, that was my problem with opening travel without having an isolation period. As soon as manitoba opened up and cancelled the isolation, our cases spiked. We literally had bo cases. Kind wish they would shut it down again for a few weeks to weed out the rest and start over. That or travel but you have to isolate for minimum 10 days unless you get a negative test

Well some scientist are now saying 5 day isolation is enough actually.

Just protect your elderly. As bad as the media made Quebec out to be, 80% + of our deaths were in old age homes.

Joe T.

If you believe Legault and the mainstream news it's because we're no longer following the rules and we're buying into conspiracy theories. I saw both CTV and LCN (photo below) focusing on that these last couple of days. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ApBiJH9.jpg

I think those numbers will probably continue to rise because testing is higher now than it was during July/August, this is all playing out just as expected. They blamed sports/bars last week, news has been fearmongering about schools for weeks and the story now is that there's apparently at least one case from over 40 of them province-wide. LCN reported a new outbreak in a nursing home, has been talking up the second wave and how new health measures may be coming soon.

The "second wave" was a foregone conclusion given what we know about testing accuracy, capacity and the seasonal nature of the cold/flu. If this is how the government reacts with 200 daily new cases then they'll likely lockdown again, only difference, if we can even call it that, is that they'll be doing it by region/hot zone this time around.

So much for the mask mandate, we did a better job bringing numbers down before that came to pass.

Kev Kev

Yes making you wear a mask is suffering, didnt realize it was equivalent to torture. Im glad businesses are taking charge and having people wear masks. Glad they are kicking people out to.
great job bringing the argument down to semantics, but sure ill play ball...

not living like a normal fucking human for absolutely no reason is suffering enough for me. not sure why you want to keep living this way, except that you like it, which is fucking weird. perhaps suffering is too strong of a word, but you see my point.

but hey man keep wearing a mask the rest of your life if you love it so much. i fucking hate it and im going to go back to normal soon. anyone who is scared of catching COVID should just stay in their hidey-hole

how does that shit bump so hard tho :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Cycom

Banned

not living like a normal fucking human for absolutely no reason is suffering enough for me. not sure why you want to keep living this way, except that you like it, which is fucking weird. perhaps suffering is too strong of a word, but you see my point.

but hey man keep wearing a mask the rest of your life if you love it so much. i fucking hate it and im going to go back to normal soon. anyone who is scared of catching COVID should just stay in their hidey-hole
Bingo.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

how does that shit bump so hard tho :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You poor baby you have to wear a mask oh no the horrors of this world how will you ever survive?

I want to live this way until the virus is gone because im thinking of people other than myself who need to still live their daily lives and have the right to do it safely. The fact you think its forever is added to your own fear mongering pandering to yourself. How long did other pandemics last for?
Was it forever as well, hell even sars went away within a year and a half. Jesus this world is full of pussies these days, more worried about their "world suffering" than wearijg a piece of fabric on their face and socially distancing. Boy your country is asking so much of you, hate to see what would happen if they told you to wash your hands next, suicide maybe?

Kev Kev

You poor baby you have to wear a mask oh no the horrors of this world how will you ever survive?

I want to live this way until the virus is gone because im thinking of people other than myself who need to still live their daily lives and have the right to do it safely. The fact you think its forever is added to your own fear mongering pandering to yourself. How long did other pandemics last for?
Was it forever as well, hell even sars went away within a year and a half. Jesus this world is full of pussies these days, more worried about their "world suffering" than wearijg a piece of fabric on their face and socially distancing. Boy your country is asking so much of you, hate to see what would happen if they told you to wash your hands next, suicide maybe?
there's no reason to wear a mask if those who are worried about getting covid just stay home

the rest of your argument is completely pointless in light of that. insults and all... oh and btw, a two year flips better shit than you dog, maybe grow a pair of balls next time you're trying to cut some one down, yeah?

so i'll say it one more time for you snowflake... you and everyone else that wants the world to wear masks for the next 50 years, you all have a limited time to figure out what you're going to do, bc the rest of us are going back to normal soon. perhaps you should think about that.

in an absolutely unprecedented event in history, the world has STOPPED for covid and remained that way out of irrational fear. it's now been long enough for those people who are scared (ironic that you're calling me a pussy lmao) to figure out how they are going to live with their new normal. obviously if you already know you're high risk, you should remain in lockdown.

we're just going in circles now, so if you must i'll let have the last word where i'm sure you'll just lower yourself down to amateur insults. maybe try to think of some actually funny ones this time?

or how about, let's not? no reason for us to act like children about this. we just have very different points if view and disagree. i'm not a monster, you're not a soy boy, were just two people having an argument. the insults and trash talk is really beneath us. i know i have a tendency to be a bit aggressive, so i'm sorry if i came off as hostile.

Last edited:

thief183

I agree totally with Kev Kev Kev Kev , Why ppl at risk don't stay at home? Why during the lookdown elderly ppl were the ones going around and I got fined cause I was going to work?

We live in a world where economy can kill more ppl that covid.

I wear a mask only cause otherwise I'll get fines again, I got COVID in the early stages of it and almost didn't notice, some of my friends experienced the same.

I'd like to add an example of what this scar in the society is about:
2 Days ago 4/5 guys from my town been tested positive for COVID (no symptoms) and have been put in quarantine, a brother of one of these guys have been rejected from a Bar by 2 over 80 persons cause his family has COVID.

The 2 fking old chaps should have been at home not the boy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

there's no reason to wear a mask if those who are worried about getting covid just stay home

the rest of your argument is completely pointless in light of that. insults and all... oh and btw, a two year flips better shit than you dog, maybe grow a pair of balls next time you're trying to cut some one down, yeah?

so i'll say it one more time for you snowflake... you and everyone else that wants the world to wear masks for the next 50 years, you all have a limited time to figure out what you're going to do, bc the rest of us are going back to normal soon. perhaps you should think about that.

in an absolutely unprecedented event in history, the world has STOPPED for covid and remained that way out of irrational fear. it's now been long enough for those people who are scared (ironic that you're calling me a pussy lmao) to figure out how they are going to live with their new normal. obviously if you already know you're high risk, you should remain in lockdown.

we're just going in circles now, so if you must i'll let have the last word where i'm sure you'll just lower yourself down to amateur insults. maybe try to think of some actually funny ones this time?

or how about, let's not? no reason for us to act like children about this. we just have very different points if view and disagree. i'm not a monster, you're not a soy boy, were just two people having an argument. the insults and trash talk is really beneath us. i know i have a tendency to be a bit aggressive, so i'm sorry if i came off as hostile.
Your really moronic if one you think people wearing masks are the snowflakes as to not spread the virus further and have cases rise in grh country for people who arent even vulnerable. Also the fact again you think this will go on for "50" years which I assume is an exaggeration by you however if you really feel that I think you should read up on recent pandemics as well and how they lasted. Nothing more pandering to your own fear mongering schtick than making things up and telling people it will be around FOREVER and we will be wearing masks FOREVER, ill hit you back when a vaccine is available and society can actually go back to normal and prove how stupid your comments are.

have fun going back to normal now as well when alot of establishments have mandated masks. Are there somethat havent? Sure, but most major companies have ans good luck trying to get around those ones for maybe the next year. If you dont want to wear a mask how about you stay home because wheelre Im from the majority pf people wear masks to keep our cases down, protect each other even people who arent vulnerable and also to not burn out our hospital staff because wlel that would be selfish because I cant handle to wear a mask when I want to go get a slurpee

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
M1chl M1chl I've seen and argued, just today, with posters in this forum who actually believe that doctors are intentionally killing patients to make hcq and the politicians who sponsor that drug look bad. You dug deep, but there's no water in this well.
So explain why just a few months ago that the entire fake news MSM was making out Trump was trying to get people killed with hydroxychloroquine?

JqZOVwt.png

Metabolism: Liver

8d83724c954dc59adf18754ca50f0431_400x400.png

J/K
You are no expert in biology. You don't have a clue. Go do some research on how different kinds of drugs are absorbed into the body.

Your really moronic if one you think people wearing masks are the snowflakes as to not spread the virus further and have cases rise in grh country for people who arent even vulnerable. Also the fact again you think this will go on for "50" years which I assume is an exaggeration by you however if you really feel that I think you should read up on recent pandemics as well and how they lasted. Nothing more pandering to your own fear mongering schtick than making things up and telling people it will be around FOREVER and we will be wearing masks FOREVER, ill hit you back when a vaccine is available and society can actually go back to normal and prove how stupid your comments are.

have fun going back to normal now as well when alot of establishments have mandated masks. Are there somethat havent? Sure, but most major companies have ans good luck trying to get around those ones for maybe the next year. If you dont want to wear a mask how about you stay home because wheelre Im from the majority pf people wear masks to keep our cases down, protect each other even people who arent vulnerable and also to not burn out our hospital staff because wlel that would be selfish because I cant handle to wear a mask when I want to go get a slurpee

I'm going to weekly couples dancing lessons where I dance with many women I don’t have any relationship with, attending once a week parties, and I'm one of the less active people in my community. I have a family member in their 60s who is going to parties and concerts 2-3 times a week, along with ocasionally going to counter protest antifa. None of this has anyone wearing a mask. Where I am almost no one is taking this seriously and the only time anyone wears a mask is when we go to grocery stores. Except going to grocery stores, life is normal.

I know several people that are partying harder than they were in 2019 and don’t care. No one cares about your virtue signaling. The one person I know who got covid caught it at a party and was sick for a few days and is right back to partying and trying to get laid.

What this has done is now there are a lot of speakeasies operating without liquor licenses, and lots of demand for other social activities at private residences where people don't wear masks.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So explain why just a few months ago that the entire fake news MSM was making out Trump was trying to get people killed with hydroxychloroquine?

You are no expert in biology. You don't have a clue. Go do some research on how different kinds of drugs are absorbed into the body.
I just pointed out that it's processed mainly in liver, where I have to be really careful. I don't claim that it does not work, I though it was obvious, that it was troll post. It's highlighted.

What this has done is now there are a lot of speakeasies operating without liquor licenses...
And what is this licence if I may ask, I guess what ever it is, it's not in my country : D

Last edited:
I just pointed out that it's processed mainly in liver, where I have to be really careful. I don't claim that it does not work, I though it was obvious, that it was troll post. It's highlighted.

And what is this licence if I may ask, I guess what ever it is, it's not in my country : D

You don't have to have a license to sell liquor or operate a bar in your country? Are you sure about that?

V4skunk

Banned

Ok, i thought you didn't have a clue..

M1chl

You don't have to have a license to sell liquor or operate a bar in your country? Are you sure about that?
I Czeched and it's there, only for 20%+ drinks. So I guess it's same. Licence for beer and ighter drinks is not needed, but I guess that's why it's named "liquor licence"....

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

You should ask MSM for that. I don't need to defend statements I don't back up and I challenge you to find a single post of mine saying that what MSM said was true.

I Czeched and it's there, only for 20%+ drinks. So I guess it's same. Licence for beer and ighter drinks is not needed, but I guess that's why it's named "liquor licence"....

Where i am in the US alcohol is heavily regulated and you need a license to sell it whether it's beer or wine or liquor, and there is more than one license depending on what you are doing. To get an actual liqour license in my area costs at minimum a 10 thousand dollar fee if you are approved, and have to publicly post the fact that you are going to open up an establishment that will serve liqour nearby so that if people want to they can complain to the licensing agency ahead of time.

Realistically you probably need an attorney or some kind of other expert to help you get the license and it still may not work out. So while resturaunts and bars that would require people to wear masks are mostly closed and many are going out of business people are running unlicensed bars where no one wears masks.

M1chl

Where i am in the US alcohol is heavily regulated and you need a license to sell it whether it's beer or wine or liquor, and there is more than one license depending on what you are doing. To get an actual liqour license in my area costs at minimum a 10 thousand dollar fee if you are approved, and have to publicly post the fact that you are going to open up an establishment that will serve liqour nearby so that if people want to they can complain to the licensing agency ahead of time.

Realistically you probably need an attorney or some kind of other expert to help you get the license and it still may not work out. So while resturaunts and bars that would require people to wear masks are mostly closed and many are going out of business people are running unlicensed bars where no one wears masks.
Thank you for the explanation, here is alcohol business very "liberal" and well, what it cause is implied in my OP. That licence here cost 500CZK (20 bucks) and you have to clean ciminal record and that sort of stuff, is mainly for taxes.

cryptoadam

Banned
And yet no gives a F about the 350K people that have died from the flu this year.

No one was saying wear a mask to save 500K lives from the flu.

When COVID is gone will all the maskies continue wearing masks to make sure no one dies from the flu? Especially children which the flu is deadlier?

Think how many lives could of been saved in the last decade if everyone just wore masks and we stopped the spread of the flu every year. Why not try and erradicate the flu by stopping the spread for 15 days?

frostyxc

And yet no gives a F about the 350K people that have died from the flu this year.

When COVID is gone will all the maskies continue wearing masks to make sure no one dies from the flu? Especially children which the flu is deadlier?

Think how many lives could of been saved in the last decade if everyone just wore masks and we stopped the spread of the flu every year. Why not try and erradicate the flu by stopping the spread for 15 days?
What is this "flu" you speak of? No other diseases/illnesses exist anymore. Cancer is gone. Mental illness... Wazzat? Heart disease and diabetes are a figment of your imagination! There is only COVID.

Fear the COVID! Obey the COVID! Preach the COVID!

And be sure to purchase Mulan now on Disney+ to show your support for BLM!

Cycom

Banned

Stop asking questions normal people
What is this "flu" you speak of? No other diseases/illnesses exist anymore. Cancer is gone. Mental illness... Wazzat? Heart disease and diabetes are a figment of your imagination! There is only COVID.

Fear the COVID! Obey the COVID! Preach the COVID!

And be sure to purchase Mulan now on Disney+ to show your support for BLM!

5fKTw4g.jpg

Top Bottom