• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Coward Broward County, FL deputy arrested & charged in response to his inaction during school shooting

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
A former Florida sheriff's deputy has been arrested on felony charges over his handling of the deadly mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland last year.

Broward County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Scot Peterson, 56, was terminated from his position and charged with multiple counts of child neglect on Tuesday after an internal investigation found that he retreated while students were under attack in the February 2018 shooting, that left 17 people dead.

Internal investigators claimed Peterson “did absolutely nothing to mitigate the MSD shooting,” according to a statement. He faces seven counts of neglect of a child, three counts of culpable negligence and one count of perjury.

This pussy hid for 45 minutes behind a pillar with his gun pointed towards the building, but never actually attempted to do anything but hide, he even told other deputies responding not to go into the building as there was an active shooter.

And to educate those that are unaware, in Florida, SROs (school resource officers) are a unit of the sheriffs office, same as a k9 unit, narcotics, traffic, patrol, etc. These are fully trained and armed deputies that work in the school full time, most of the time they mediate student issues, act as a figure of authority, and sometimes even as a guidance counselor. Also they do the obligatory cop stuff like drug searches, fight breakups as well.

He hid for more than 45 minutes
Peterson arrived at the 1200 building -- where the massacre took place -- and then moved 75 feet to a "position of increased personal safety" near the 700 and 800 buildings, an arrest warrant affidavit said.
The warrant says Peterson stayed there for more than 45 minutes.
During that time, the gunman killed five students and one teacher, authorities said.
Immediately after the shooting, responding officers scrambled to the scene but appeared to be following commands from Peterson to close the road in front of the school and set up a perimeter.

merlinevo

Banned
Apr 28, 2019
So the only real charge against him is for lying. This is merely a publicity stunt to divert blame from the police department. This guy won't see jail time since there is no court of law that requires police officer to risk their lives or requires them to be heroes. He could easily say he was waiting for backup or being observant of the ongoing situation. They can blame him for being a coward, they can't charge him with a crime for it.

This isn't a hollywood movie, people do and will run from danger. It's stupid to think that all people will put themselves in harms way. I'm sure most school security didn't sign up to get into gun fights or even had the training for it.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
There was a lot of rigmarole around Columbine that the police knew what was happening, but chose not to enter the building for various reasons.

This is just one dude who was there by himself, while I believe Columbine had a whole swat team outside while the shooting happened, and they still didn’t go in.

Basically, leave the guy alone. It’s easy to want a scapegoat - it’s just embarrassing that now we are trying to scapegoat a school resource officer when 20 years ago it was Marilyn Manson and Doom.

Reactions: SonGoku and Xenon

Winter John

Mar 9, 2014
This pussy hid for 45 minutes behind a pillar with his gun pointed towards the building
I wouldn't call him a pussy. That ain't fair. You can train cops all day every day for these situations but it's impossible to tell how someone will react when they're faced with a real event.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
fight, flight, or fright is real and sorta random, doesn't matter how much training you get

broward is trash tho, i don't consider them floridians

Last edited:
Reactions: Xenon

bucyou

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
Obviously theres an emotional element to the events that transpired, if this goes to a trial it would be hard for the jury to be objective and find him not guilty, though.

Cucked SoyBoy

Dec 18, 2018
Yeah cops are absolute garbage. But why single this loser out when the cops always do this. As someone mentioned above, they did the same thing at Columbine. Plus the Orlando muslim attacker who killed 50 gays at a night club - the cops waited so long to go in that the muslim had plenty of time to stroll around and finish off the wounded.

Same deal with the Vegas shooting - one cop went up to the shooter's room...the shooter fired a round through the door, so the cops backed off, waited 50 minutes to gather a large enough force, then finally went in once the shooting had stopped for a while. They found the guy dead from a self-inflicted gunshot. Because the cowardly cops waited so long to go in, no medical help could get to the victims so they just lay there bleeding out for an hour and died.

The cops always sit outside with their coffee and donuts, wait until the shooter runs out of ammo or offs himself, then kick in the door and declare themselves heroes. Pathetic.

Reactions: Halfman The Imp

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
He's receiving a nice pension retirement. That's what I know. This could have an impact on that.

daveonezero

Nov 19, 2018
I don't blame him. It is a rare feat for people to risk their lives for others.

I also hate the when people think that cops are actually supposed to save other peoples lives.

WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.
This is why it is important to protect yourself. If that means not going to gun free zones as you carry then so be it,.

Schools shouldn't be gun free zones.

Brizzady

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
So the only real charge against him is for lying. This is merely a publicity stunt to divert blame from the police department. This guy won't see jail time since there is no court of law that requires police officer to risk their lives or requires them to be heroes. He could easily say he was waiting for backup or being observant of the ongoing situation. They can blame him for being a coward, they can't charge him with a crime for it.

This isn't a hollywood movie, people do and will run from danger. It's stupid to think that all people will put themselves in harms way. I'm sure most school security didn't sign up to get into gun fights or even had the training for it.
This is stupid given that he not only claimed to be brave and lied on the police report, he also prevented cops interested in doing their jobs from doing them by lying to them and telling them the shots were coming from outside the school. And no, it's not stupid to expect a cop to put themselves in harms way given that its in the job description.

Brizzady

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
I wouldn't call him a pussy. That ain't fair. You can train cops all day every day for these situations but it's impossible to tell how someone will react when they're faced with a real event.
He was the cop who trained other cops how to behave in this scenario. Former member of armed forces, decorated cop, and leader of the Active Shooter Response training protocol in that county. If you can't expect him to act, we're all fucked.
Yeah cops are absolute garbage. But why single this loser out when the cops always do this. As someone mentioned above, they did the same thing at Columbine. Plus the Orlando muslim attacker who killed 50 gays at a night club - the cops waited so long to go in that the muslim had plenty of time to stroll around and finish off the wounded.

Same deal with the Vegas shooting - one cop went up to the shooter's room...the shooter fired a round through the door, so the cops backed off, waited 50 minutes to gather a large enough force, then finally went in once the shooting had stopped for a while. They found the guy dead from a self-inflicted gunshot. Because the cowardly cops waited so long to go in, no medical help could get to the victims so they just lay there bleeding out for an hour and died.

The cops always sit outside with their coffee and donuts, wait until the shooter runs out of ammo or offs himself, then kick in the door and declare themselves heroes. Pathetic.
The amount of stupid in one post is staggering. Yes, they did the same thing at Columbine. Guess what? Columbine is the event that lead directly to the Active Shooter Protocol. America is full of gun loving morons, which translates to more mass shootings in a year than other countries have seen since their creation, and in the vast majority of mass shooting events since Columbine and the creation of the ASP, cops have not sat outside waiting to go in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krappadizzle

Winter John

Mar 9, 2014
He was the cop who trained other cops how to behave in this scenario. Former member of armed forces, decorated cop, and leader of the Active Shooter Response training protocol in that county. If you can't expect him to act, we're all fucked.
You've entirely missed my point. Training only goes so far, and he's a good example of that.

juliotendo

Jan 5, 2019
Mexico
This just seems like a stunt to take blame away from the obviously inept Broward Sheriffs department.

He’s not going to get any jail time. There isn’t a law that states a police officer must risk their lives to save others.

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Perhaps he was just following UK police force logic. A person with a gun can't stop people from being shot. If he went in that building to help, he'd probably just end up shooting himself.

Chunk Loves Sloth

Formerly 'JareBear'
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
It can't go both ways. We can't give cops passes for when they use lethal force liberally and then turn around and say oh well I can't blame one for hiding in a lethal situation.

He didn't do his job, and if he can't handle these type of situations than he shouldn't be a cop.

As far as charging him and convicting him, that's another story. Not sure he will lose a trial by either judge or jury.

Just my opinion.

I remember when this happened there was a thread about this guy's inaction that got a little heated. It's a sensitive subject for many on any side, I gather.

Last edited:

TheSadRanger

Sep 5, 2013
Mckinney,TX
Probably better than if he had shot and killed a 19 year old in a school
Not to get to off-topic but back when Dimebag Darrell (the Pantera guitarist) got killed at a small concert when that dude stormed the stage with a gun. There was a story about how he took a hostage and the first police officer arrived on scene alone.

The shooter had a hostage at gunpoint and the officer confronted him and took a single head shot on him with a shotgun from twenty feet away. Managing to kill the shooter without harming the hostage, he said he knew from training that if he aimed high enough that the spread wouldn't harm the hostage.

Afterwards the guy just kinda disappeared and got of law enforcement entirely.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/behind-the-murder-of-dimebag-darrell-233541/

Brizzady

Banned
Jul 28, 2018
You've entirely missed my point. Training only goes so far, and he's a good example of that.
Training goes a long way. You can count on one hand the number of first responders who arrived and froze at the scene of a mass shooting since Columbine. There's been thousands of mass shooting events without the first responders freezing. The cop in this story is an anomaly and a piece of shit.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Training goes a long way. You can count on one hand the number of first responders who arrived and froze at the scene of a mass shooting since Columbine. There's been thousands of mass shooting events without the first responders freezing. The cop in this story is an anomaly and a piece of shit.
he's an anomoly, but he's not a piece of shit

the sympathetic nervous system is going to do what it wants

and since free will doesn't exist, well whadda gonna do

Reactions: SonGoku

somerset

Apr 15, 2019
Few know, but the same legal principles apply to law enforcement as they do to personnel in the armed forces. As an officer of the Law, you do *not* get to offer 'fear' as an 'excuse'.

But dribblers are encouraged to offer their 'common sense', as this thread proves. Because this dribble helps let statist enforcers off the hook, against the accurate application of Law, when said enforcer 'only' failed to save *citizens*.

Mouth breath, knuckle drag- "well *you* would have acted the same", grunt, dribble.

What this scumbag did is the same as falling asleep on sentry duty at a moment when legally sleeping comrades would be directly endangered by the same.

Snowflakes always say an excuse is good enough. And today the alt-left weaponises the snowflakes. Ask yourself why.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
He got off easy. Society cannot function when its enforcers are cowards. I understand that certain political leanings might wince at the sight of a billy club or even -- gasp! -- a firearm, but your internet connect is based upon such violent enforcement.

I hope other officers take his example as a warning to either fulfill their role as public servants or to find another line of work.

Reactions: Barnabot and bucyou

Winter John

Mar 9, 2014
You don't seem to be getting this. I'll say it again but I ain't going round in circles. It's impossible to predict how people will react in real life situations. Every military service that has ever existed has faced this problem with their troops. The guy is not an anomaly. If he was drones wouldn't exist.

Also can you provide links for this -

"Former member of armed forces, decorated cop, and leader of the Active Shooter Response training protocol in that county."

I had a look for his record because I was interested in seeing who he'd trained with but I can't find anything.

Miku Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
If you want to wear a gun and take that job, you should be expected to do it, or be charged with neglect. I think this is fine honestly.

Same thing applies in the medical field all the time. You can't be a surgeon and just decide half way through a surgery that you are really stressed out and leave. Professional neglect is a real thing people.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
You don't seem to be getting this. I'll say it again but I ain't going round in circles. It's impossible to predict how people will react in real life situations. Every military service that has ever existed has faced this problem with their troops. The guy is not an anomaly. If he was drones wouldn't exist.

Also can you provide links for this -

"Former member of armed forces, decorated cop, and leader of the Active Shooter Response training protocol in that county."

I had a look for his record because I was interested in seeing who he'd trained with but I can't find anything.
cannot be overstated, you either get this or you don't

Reactions: Oner

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I haven't really been following this story that closely, but i saw someone on Reddit refer to him as the "Broward County Coward" and I feel like that is an apt description. Hopefully it or something similar follows him where he goes.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
I haven't really been following this story that closely, but i saw someone on Reddit refer to him as the "Broward County Coward" and I feel like that is an apt description. Hopefully it or something similar follows him where he goes.
i'd like your take on the fight-or-flight response, hang on i need popcorn

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
i'd like your take on the fight-or-flight response, hang on i need popcorn
We are not talking about a random civilian here. We are talking about a trained police officer. He had a duty to protect his community and he failed in that duty.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
doesn't work that way, no amount of training can battle test you
So we shouldn't expect police officers to do their job and protect their community by putting themselves in danger?

Because that is literally what they are trained to do and paid to do.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
doesn't work that way, no amount of training can battle test you
Then he should not be an officer. He should not have had the position he had and because of him, multiple people were in danger. If an officer with more willpower, more self-control were there, more lives could have been saved.

While I may disagree with the extent of the charges, this man should have been fired immediately.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Then he should not be an officer. He should not have had the position he had and because of him, multiple people were in danger. If an officer with more willpower, more self-control were there, more lives could have been saved.

While I may disagree with the extent of the charges, this man should have been fired immediately.
you can never know how these things will shake, even solid snake himself could experience fright on the battlefield

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
you can never know how these things will shake, even solid snake himself could experience fright on the battlefield
And he would be a liability to himself and his comrades. That is why there is training, to control that fear and act in the face of it. This Deputy did not do that, endangered multiple lives, and he should be punished accordingly.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Oner and Tesseract

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
And he would be a liability to himself and his comrades. That is why there is training, to control that fear and act in the face of it. This Deputy did not do that, endangered multiple lives, and he should be punished accordingly.
right, what i'm telling you is that no amount of training can control autonomic / sympathetic nervous systems

trial by fire is the only way to test people, and even if they're successful in the face of it, they might not be next time

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Off Duty Ninja

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire
That supreme court ruling makes sense since a crucial idea in America is not being entitled to someone's skills or whatever

So the fact they're trying to charge him for not going in is kind of hypocritical to that

AaronB

May 5, 2013
That supreme court ruling makes sense since a crucial idea in America is not being entitled to someone's skills or whatever

So the fact they're trying to charge him for not going in is kind of hypocritical to that
If you're talking about how bakers shouldn't be forced to bake cakes they don't want to; makes sense.

Being a police officer is a bit more serious. If you aren't willing to put yourself in danger to protect kids from a school shooter, you need to find another line of work.

Razvedka

Oct 20, 2018
This dude is a coward and a piece of shit. Why are people giving him a pat on the back and leeway? It's his job to protect others, it's what he voluntarily signed up and was trained for. The arguments being floated here that 'well you never know how you'll respond until you're tested' are completely asinine; by this line of reasoning, why hold soldiers, SWAT members or really any professional to any sort of standard? After all 'who knows how they'll respond to severe stress!'. It's complete and utter nonsense.

That being said, SCOTUS has ruled that police have no duty to protect you. Maybe the charges coming up against him are a sideways attempt to hold him responsible without directly saying that, as a law officer, he had an obligation to protect others.

Veneration for police is bizarre to me. A police force is absolutely necessary, but ours here in the States suck and I trust none of them as far as I can throw them. They're not heroes, they're not soldiers (part of the problem is this strange view that they are + hiring ex-marines and infantry as cops), they're just professionals endowed with great authority and held to exceptionally low standards. A perfect breeding ground for disaster.

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
This dude is a coward and a piece of shit. Why are people giving him a pat on the back and leeway? It's his job to protect others, it's what he voluntarily signed up and was trained for. The arguments being floated here that 'well you never know how you'll respond until you're tested' are completely asinine; by this line of reasoning, why hold soldiers, SWAT members or really any professional to any sort of standard? After all 'who knows how they'll respond to severe stress!'. It's complete and utter nonsense.

That being said, SCOTUS has ruled that police have no duty to protect you. Maybe the charges coming up against him are a sideways attempt to hold him responsible without directly saying that, as a law officer, he had an obligation to protect others.

Veneration for police is bizarre to me. A police force is absolutely necessary, but ours here in the States suck and I trust none of them as far as I can throw them. They're not heroes, they're not soldiers (part of the problem is this strange view that they are + hiring ex-marines and infantry as cops), they're just professionals endowed with great authority and held to exceptionally low standards. A perfect breeding ground for disaster.
You need to stay away from mainstream media. Cops do far more good than bad.

Reactions: Oner

Razvedka

Oct 20, 2018
You need to stay away from mainstream media. Cops do far more good than bad.
Don't give me that. I literally don't watch or absorb MSM beyond what other people say or bring up (like this thread being posted on gaf).

They're not heroes, they're not forces of good; they're just citizens/professionals with greater powers and less corresponding responsibility than should be acceptable. All too often this lack of responsibility and transparency into their operations breeds an environment for not just inefficiency/incompetence, but corruption. And I've had a pretty reasonable window into this subject over the past two decades, so I'm afraid that that the MSM isn't at fault for my perceptions here.

We should hold police to a much, much higher standard and be more stringent in who we hire + monthly and annual qualifications (shooting, physical shape, deescalation techniques). I also think we should, in lockstep with this approach, compensate them a good deal more than what they make currently. Hold them to higher standards and then also reward them for it, provide positive incentivization.

But it all comes down to budgets.

It's a human nature thing. My position on this isn't radically different than my stance towards politicians at large, such as Congress. Positions of government which endow powers must be held accountable and made to operate transparently. Meritocracy should be insisted upon, with negative and positive incentives.

As for the officer in question in this thread, strap him to a Falcon 9 and launch him into the sun.

Last edited:

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Don't give me that. I literally don't watch or absorb MSM beyond what other people say or bring up (like this thread being posted on gaf).

They're not heroes, they're not forces of good; they're just citizens/professionals with greater powers and less corresponding responsibility than should be acceptable. All too often this lack of responsibility and transparency into their operations breeds an environment for not just inefficiency/incompetence, but corruption. And I've had a pretty reasonable window into this subject over the past two decades, so I'm afraid that that the MSM isn't at fault for my perceptions here.

We should hold police to a much, much higher standard and be more stringent in who we hire + monthly and annual qualifications (shooting, physical shape, deescalation techniques). I also think we should, in lockstep with this approach, compensate them a good deal more than what they make currently. Hold them to higher standards and then also reward them for it, provide positive incentivization.

But it all comes down to budgets.

It's a human nature thing. My position on this isn't radically different than my stance towards politicians at large, such as Congress. Positions of government which endow powers must be held accountable and made to operate transparently. Meritocracy should be insisted upon, with negative and positive incentives.

As for the officer in question in this thread, strap him to a Falcon 9 and launch him into the sun.
I agree with you that they need to be held to a higher standard and improvements need to be made - however you stated "...police force is absolutely necessary, but ours here in the States suck and I trust none of them as far as I can throw them." This is the same kind of dribble that you read on far left sites that like to denigrate every last officer based on the actions of a few.

There are far more officers who take their job seriously and try to genuinely help people. If you rely on media, you will only see the corrupt fucks who give all those who wear the uniform a bad name. Hence why I said what I said.